Fergie's bribe taking and match fixing exposed in court!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Fergie's bribe taking and match fixing exposed in court!

Post by cic old boy »

I knew about the bribes from agents, but not the match-fixing. Kanu also mentioned as attending a meeting.
Football agent claimed he gave Alex Ferguson gold watch to fix match, court told
Trial of three men in football bribery case hears one boasted of unsubstantiated links to former Man Utd manager

PA Media

Thu 17 Oct 2019 20.40 BSTFirst published on Thu 17 Oct 2019 19.39 BST
Shares

A corrupt football agent made unsubstantiated claims to have “thanked” former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson for fixing a match by giving him a £30,000 Rolex watch, a court has heard.

Giuseppe “Pino” Pagliara, 64, made the claim in a conversation secretly recorded by an undercover reporter, the prosecution said. Opening the trial, Brian O’Neill QC said Pagliara was taped boasting that the former Manchester United manager had accepted the gold watch in exchange for conspiring to fix the result of a Champions League match against Juventus.

Pagliara is on trial for bribery at Southwark crown court alongside Tommy Wright, the former assistant head coach at Barnsley FC, and football agent Dax Price, 48. All three deny the charges against them.

Opening the trial on Thursday, the prosecutor, Brian O’Neill QC, said the men were caught up in an extensive investigation by the Telegraph, which published a number of exposés of alleged corruption in English football in September 2016.

O’Neill said “the most high-profile casualty” of the work was the then England manager, Sam Allardyce, who had to resign from his role.

The court heard that Price and Pagliara made a series of boasts about their footballing links and set up meetings designed to “impress” undercover journalists.

Meetings were set up in London with the former England manager Steve McClaren, the former Arsenal player Nwankwo Kanu and the football manager Harry Redknapp.

O’Neill emphasised that none of the prominent footballing figures subject to allegations from Price and Pagliara were part of the prosecution’s case, which did not seek to “malign” them, as they were not present when the claims were said and not in a position to deny them in court.

The court heard that Claire Newell, an undercover journalist using the pseudonym Claire Taylor, posed as a representative of a fake sports management company named Meiran, and contacted Pagliara in May 2016 saying she wanted to invest in football players in the UK.

O’Neill explained that, over a series of meetings, emails and texts, Pagliara, originally from Genoa, and Price allegedly proposed schemes whereby they would become players’ agents, buy them and place them at clubs.

They would maintain ownership of a player and profit from his onward sale, which O’Neill alleged was “all to be facilitated by bribery”.

The court was told that such third-party ownership arrangements were banned by the Football Association in 2008 and by Fifa in 2015.

Wright is accused of accepting a £5,000 bribe to leak commercial information about his club’s players. He was allegedly handed an envelope full of cash during the newspaper investigation.

The jury heard that Price and Pagliara, who has never been registered as a football agent with the FA, set up an introduction with Wright, who allegedly accepted payment to encourage players to appoint Price and Pagliara as their agents and help place players at Barnsley.

At various meetings, Pagliara claimed he had “a wardrobe full of skeletons”, knew “every single manager in the country” and suggested corruption was rife in football.

He said the evidence was presented because it showed a defendant’s alleged “knowledge or belief of corruption within football in this country and elsewhere, and his willingness not just to condone such practices but also to embrace and exploit them”.

O’Neill said Wright had helped arrange a meeting for the owner of Barnsley to be introduced to Price and Pagliara, where the latter would pretend to be an interpreter, because he did not want it to be known that a previous finding of corruption had been made against him by the Italian Football Federation.

He added that Wright, “rather than alerting his employers to this ruse, played along with the facade”.

The jury heard that at their first meeting with the undercover journalist, Price claimed football managers received “backhanders” when players were signed.

“It’s not corruption, but you know it is corruption … because obviously at the end of the day they’re just putting every deal through the manager and they’re obviously copping the money for it,” Price allegedly said.

The jury were taken through secretly recorded transcripts of conversations with Pagliara and Price that were later passed to City of London police.

The court was told that before Wright arrived at the first meeting with the undercover journalist and his co-defendants, Price claimed the coach had said to him: “I’ll do whatever you want.” Price said they had to “look after” Wright, who wanted “£10,000 or so”.

The trial continues.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... court-told
http://www.naijiant.com/
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: Fergie's bribe taking and match fixing exposed in court!

Post by kalani JR »

Fergie time apparently comes in Oyster Perpetual.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I await John Pajimoh Barnes to comment on this
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Now it makes sense..all those last minute equalisers, 7 mins Added time and so on
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Can't say I'm surprised. :roll:
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

theYemster wrote:Can't say I'm surprised. :roll:
KPOM,hope they stripe United title and give it to the second play and Fergie go to jail.
Manu should be ban or demoted to league one
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Hmmmm!!!!

So he wasn't so great after all.

If I were a ManU fan, I'd bow my head in shame. What is going to happen to the trophies they stole?

Hope they'll consider the runners up for those seasons in question. :drool: :drool:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

kajifu wrote:
KPOM,hope they stripe United title and give it to the second play and Fergie go to jail.
This won't happen.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

kalani JR wrote:
kajifu wrote:
This won't happen.

exactly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cchinukw wrote:Hmmmm!!!!

If I were a ManU fan, I'd bow my head in shame. What is going to happen to the trophies they stole?

Hope they'll consider the runners up for those seasons in question. :drool: :drool:
Cool. After they bow their head in shame for something they didnt do. Are you going to bow your own head in shame for all the money your state Governor, ministers and Buhari have stolen?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
kajifu wrote:
This won't happen.

exactly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kajifu na very wicked boy! Fergie wey get heart failure early this year, na e him wan send go prison? Eziokwu! :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

danfo driver wrote:

Cool. After they bow their head in shame for something they didnt do. Are you going to bow your own head in shame for all the money your state Governor, ministers and Buhari have stolen?
Sorry you lost me there.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cchinukw wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Sorry you lost me there.
Not surprised.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

danfo driver wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Sorry you lost me there.
Not surprised.
I am mystified by your cryptic responses my friend.

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Alleged????
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

marko wrote:Alleged????
Do you know how many allegations of corruption have been made against him?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

cic old boy wrote:
Pls tell me, why will he need to fix games when we had a world class team
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

marko wrote:
There was a BBC docu on his crookedness and he banned the BBC from interviews for 7 years. What has match-fixing got to do with the quality of the team? He was on £3m a year but still taking bribes from agents and fixing matches b/c he was a greedy b*stard.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

marko wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
You fix matches for money not to win.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

This is shocking to me anyway! where is the evidence

Marko
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

kalani JR wrote:
marko wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
We have people on this thread talking about his titles trophies and last minute equalisers t :biggrin:

Anyway, allegations they are, nothing more to see, until strong evidence emerges and he is convicted :dream:
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

benteke wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
marko wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
We have people on this thread talking about his titles trophies and last minute equalisers t :biggrin:

Anyway, allegations they are, nothing more to see, until strong evidence emerges and he is convicted :dream:
exactly, will not see the light of day! United will be buried with the Glazers, OGS and Woodward in the coffin!

Marko
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

:lol: :lol: Clowns plenty for CE though the allegation specifically mentioned a single match against a specific team.

Now those serious bulalas received by Arsenal & co makes sense to we clowns - including the 8-2 shellacking & one where he bulala Arsenal 4-0 with 7 defenders :rotf:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *