EII: Odegbami on the best Sec Schls producing G/Super Eagles

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gadfly
Egg
Egg
EII: Odegbami on the best Sec Schls producing G/Super Eagles

Post by Gadfly »

THE KING OF NIGERIAN SCHOOL’S FOOTBALL: A TRIBUTE TO ST. MURUMBA COLLEGE
_By Segun Odegbami

Which secondary school has produced the highest number of players for the Green/Super Eagles in Nigeria’s history?

St Murumba's College, Jos!
1. Mathew ‘Mogambo the Truck Pusher’ Atuegbu
2. Nicholas Atuegbu
3. Emmanuel ‘The Tailor’ Egede
4. Tijani ‘Pele’ Salihu Nakande
5. Segun ‘Mathematical’ Odegbami
6. Patrick Mancha
7. Benedict Akwuegwu
8. Sunday Mba
9. Victor Nsofor
10. Joseph Akpala
11. Chidozie Awoziam
12. late Tony Pwol
13. John ‘Mikel’ Obi (he was a mercenary!)

Also from Jos is Academy Institute of Commerce
1. Samuel Garba Okoye
2. Peter Anieke
3. Tony Igwe
4. Batande Nakande, and
5. Ismaila Mabo

EII, does your data correlates Sege's? The rest of the story is here:

https://middlebeltreporters.news.blog/2 ... -odegbami/
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EII: Odegbami on the best Sec Schls producing G/Super Ea

Post by Enugu II »

Gadfly wrote:THE KING OF NIGERIAN SCHOOL’S FOOTBALL: A TRIBUTE TO ST. MURUMBA COLLEGE
_By Segun Odegbami

Which secondary school has produced the highest number of players for the Green/Super Eagles in Nigeria’s history?

2. Nicholas Atuegbu
6. Patrick Mancha
7. Benedict Akwuegwu
8. Sunday Mba
9. Victor Nsofor
10. Joseph Akpala
11. Chidozie Awoziam
12. late Tony Pwol

1. Samuel Garba Okoye
2. Peter Anieke
3. Tony Igwe
4. Batande Nakande, and
5. Ismaila Mabo

Gadfly,

I will check my records a bit later. However, on my recollection alone Seg is probably correct with his take on the Commerce school. Three of them - actually started with Eagles. They were Anieke, Garba, and Igwe. They dominated the Manuwa Cup in 1965 and were part of the first Nigerian schoolboys team to beat Ghana in Accra in 1966. They all were part of the Eagles team to the 1968 Olympics. Now, on the St. Murumba, Nicholas did not say for the Eagles for sure and neither did Pwol. If Salihu did then it would have been a couple of games but Salihu was a well known name in the 1970s.

I would guess that Seg is correct about his basic theory that the Jo's school produced highest number of players to play for the Eagles. I state this because the Henry Nwosu list is not accurate. Emilio, for instance was a top schoolboy player but he did not play for the Eagles.

In the East, I suspect Nike Grammar school would produce top players who later played for Eagles but I doubt that the number will chance the number produced by Seg from St. Murumba.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Enugu II wrote:
Gadfly wrote:THE KING OF NIGERIAN SCHOOL’S FOOTBALL: A TRIBUTE TO ST. MURUMBA COLLEGE
_By Segun Odegbami

2. Nicholas Atuegbu
6. Patrick Mancha
7. Benedict Akwuegwu
8. Sunday Mba
9. Victor Nsofor
10. Joseph Akpala
11. Chidozie Awoziam
12. late Tony Pwol

1. Samuel Garba Okoye
2. Peter Anieke
3. Tony Igwe
4. Batande Nakande, and
5. Ismaila Mabo

Gadfly,

I will check my records a bit later. However, on my recollection alone Seg is probably correct with his take on the Commerce school. Three of them - actually started with Eagles. They were Anieke, Garba, and Igwe. They dominated the Manuwa Cup in 1965 and were part of the first Nigerian schoolboys team to beat Ghana in Accra in 1966. They all were part of the Eagles team to the 1968 Olympics. Now, on the St. Murumba, Nicholas did not say for the Eagles for sure and neither did Pwol. If Salihu did then it would have been a couple of games but Salihu was a well known name in the 1970s.

I would guess that Seg is correct about his basic theory that the Jos school produced highest number of players to play for the Eagles. I state this because the Henry Nwosu list is not accurate. Emilio, for instance was a top schoolboy player but he did not play for the Eagles.

In the East, I suspect Nike Grammar school would produce top players who later played for Eagles but I doubt that the number will change the number produced by Seg from St. Murumba.
Looking forward to seeing the data you have.

As for Nicholas Atuegbu, Pwol and Tijani Salihu (it is the name I knew him by. Never realised he is also a Nakande), perhaps they were called to camp and didn't make it?
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Odegbami dey make me laugh. There is no way his secondary school has produced more players for eagles than Hussey College Warri and New Era college Benin or St Finbarr's College. Apart from football, Hussey College has produced some of best track and field athletes for Nigeria.

Just to name a few from Hussey College
Daniel Okwudili.. Played for Green eagles in the 50s
Patrick Nuquakpor . Played for Green Eagles in the 50s
Morten Owolo
Didiare
Thompson Usiyan
John Umughele
Franklin Howard
Clement Temile
Mike Obiku
Fuludu George
Zion Ogunfehimi
Fegor Ogude
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Saint Finbarr’s College

It is noteworthy that in the 1970's and 1980's the school produced international players like Thompson Oliha, Nduka Ugbade, Samson SiaSia, and Henry Nwosu, just to mention a few.

Six players from Saint Finbarr’s College were selected into the first junior National Team: Nathaniel Ogedegbe, Henry Nwosu, Stephen Keshi, Wakilu Oyenuga, late Obe Adedeji, and Emeka James were selected to make the first Flying Eagles and later called Junior Eagles. Paul Okoku, Nathaniel Ogedegbe, Henry Nwosu, Stephen Keshi, later went on to the Green Eagles national team. Godwin Odiye represented the country during the African Nations Cup. He was the first Saint Finbarr’s College student to make the national team.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

iworo wrote: Saint Finbarr’s College

It is noteworthy that in the 1970's and 1980's the school produced international players like Thompson Oliha, Nduka Ugbade, Samson SiaSia, and Henry Nwosu, just to mention a few.

Six players from Saint Finbarr’s College were selected into the first junior National Team: Nathaniel Ogedegbe, Henry Nwosu, Stephen Keshi, Wakilu Oyenuga, late Obe Adedeji, and Emeka James were selected to make the first Flying Eagles and later called Junior Eagles. Paul Okoku, Nathaniel Ogedegbe, Henry Nwosu, Stephen Keshi, later went on to the Green Eagles national team. Godwin Odiye represented the country during the African Nations Cup. He was the first Saint Finbarr’s College student to make the national team.
How Oliha a proper Bini boy take go Finbars? This is new, never even knew Oliha grew up outside Benin besides staying in camp. I know of Edema Benson who should also be on the list.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Una don hear of Methodist Boys High School of Ibadan before? e.g Raymond King. Folorunsho Okenla. Femi Opabunmi.. list many if we go back to the 60s..What of Kings College? What of baptist Academy. Sege fail small.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Sir V and Agbako,

It would be nice if you provide the names as Sege has done. Saying such and such school produced such and such player does not validate Sege's thesis. Hopefully, I and other readers will be reading from you the names and their schools.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Sir V wrote:Odegbami dey make me laugh. There is no way his secondary school has produced more players for eagles than Hussey College Warri and New Era college Benin or St Finbarr's College. Apart from football, Hussey College has produced some of best track and field athletes for Nigeria.

Morten Owolo
Didiare
Thompson Usiyan
John Umughele
Franklin Howard
Clement Temile
Mike Obiku
Fuludu George
Zion Ogunfehimi
Fegor Ogude
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Sir V wrote:Odegbami dey make me laugh. There is no way his secondary school has produced more players for eagles than Hussey College Warri and New Era college Benin or St Finbarr's College. Apart from football, Hussey College has produced some of best track and field athletes for Nigeria.

Morten Owolo
Didiare
Thompson Usiyan
John Umughele
Franklin Howard
Clement Temile
Mike Obiku
Fuludu George
Zion Ogunfehimi
Fegor Ogude
TALKING ABOUT HUSSEY TRACK & FIELD...

…how could anyone not be charmed by Emenahor with those beautiful strides of hers in the 440's? The story was that Hussey kept flunking her to keep her in school and keep her eligible to continue to run for them.
Bell
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

oloye wrote:
iworo wrote: Saint Finbarr’s College

How Oliha a proper Bini boy take go Finbars? This is new, never even knew Oliha grew up outside Benin besides staying in camp. I know of Edema Benson who should also be on the list.
I am sure he made a mistake, Oliha did not go to Finbarr's as you are right that he is an outright Bini boy.

Edokpolo grammar school also should be mentioned, it produced lots of Flying Eagles and Golden Eaglets (I know this is about Super Eagles).
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Morten Owolo
Didiare
Thompson Usiyan
John Umughele
Franklin Howard
Clement Temile
Mike Obiku
Fuludu George
Zion Ogunfehimi
:thumbs: :thumbs: Facts!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

As much as it pains me as a CIC guy to say it, Nike Grammar School Enugu must be up there in terms of national team players.
1. Christian Chukwu
2. Jay Jay
3. Charles Okonkwo
4. Benedict Ugwu

There are others that I can't remember.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

cic old boy wrote:As much as it pains me as a CIC guy to say it, Nike Grammar School Enugu must be up there in terms of national team players.
1. Christian Chukwu
2. Jay Jay
3. Charles Okonkwo
4. Benedict Ugwu

Was JJ's brother not Nike as well?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

cic old boy wrote:As much as it pains me as a CIC guy to say it, Nike Grammar School Enugu must be up there in terms of national team players.
1. Christian Chukwu
2. Jay Jay
3. Charles Okonkwo
4. Benedict Ugwu

I thought they said Secondary Schools not Reform(atory) Schools? :D :taunt:

Do schools where bobos enrol but never attend class count? :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1. Christian Chukwu
2. Jay Jay
3. Charles Okonkwo
4. Benedict Ugwu
5. Arthur "System" Egbunam
6. Ikechukwu "Kpurumkpu" Ofoje
7. Kingsley "Shagari" Obiekwo
8. Kenneth Zeigbo

Now here is a player currently with the U17 who is also from Nike Grammar School -- Divine Nwachukwu.

I believe Ibezim Ofoedu played at Nike as well but he did not play for Eagles because of his short stay at Vasco/Rangers. Did Iloenyosi not play at Nike? I cannot remember.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
1. Christian Chukwu
2. Jay Jay
3. Charles Okonkwo
4. Benedict Ugwu

I thought they said Secondary Schools not Reform(atory) Schools? :D :taunt:

Do schools where bobos enrol but never attend class count? :P
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Bros, Cell na waa for you oo. Anyway na you and Nike boys go enta leg for inside one trowza.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Enugu, Ofoje was my classmate at CIC. We called "Idi Amin" or "Zekpuru" then.

I was going to mention Arthur System but wasn't sure if he played for the Eagles. I think Emma Okocha also went to Nike. There were others from the late 80s, early 90s that I can't remember.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Gadfly wrote:Sir V and Agbako,

It would be nice if you provide the names as Sege has done. Saying such and such school produced such and such player does not validate Sege's thesis. Hopefully, I and other readers will be reading from you the names and their schools.

Oga you are right. i go expantiate for our enjoyment. cheers
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

cic old boy wrote:Enugu, Ofoje was my classmate at CIC. We called "Idi Amin" or "Zekpuru" then.

I was going to mention Arthur System but wasn't sure if he played for the Eagles. I think Emma Okocha also went to Nike. There were others from the late 80s, early 90s that I can't remember.
Thanks for the correction on Ofoje and Emma Okocha. Arthur played for Nike but I also believe he was recruited to that CKC team that won in Dublin. Arthur did play at least a game for SE from his days at Standard of Jo's. Hopefully others can add to the Nike list. There may be more guys.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Enugu II wrote: Thanks for the correction on Ofoje and Emma Okocha. Arthur played for Nike but I also believe he was recruited to that CKC team that won in Dublin. Arthur did play at least a game for SE from his days at Standard of Jo's. Hopefully others can add to the Nike list. There may be more guys.
If Ofoje ever played for Nike, it would have been as a mercenary after graduating from CIC. Yes, Arthur System was a mercenary with that CKC team, alongside other Nike boys like goalie Peter Ogbodo and right winger Chibo Offodile.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Much as I acknowledge several schools as being great production belts of top footballers for Nigeria, I can't but laugh at the obvious omission of where it all began. Football came to Nigeria through Hope Waddell Instititution, Calabar. Courtesy of Scottish Presbyterian Ministers, the first football match in Nigeria was between the British Marines and Hope Waddell in 1902 (cricket was also first played there in 1901). Hope Waddell lost 2-1. Since then, the school has produced its fair share of national stars. Some readily come to my mind:

1949 UK Tourists National Team - The Ekpe brothers.
1980 Green Eagles that won the AFCON - Charles Bassey
The legendary Zik of Africa, former President Nnamdi Azikiwe was a star player for the school in 1923.
Then you have the following- Etta Egbe (Goalkeeper), Ene Okon (Flying Eagles Chile 1987 and Super Eagles AFCON 1992), Etim Esin(played there before concluding at Methodist Boys High School, Oron) and several Eaglets who I'll research further and get their names.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"