U17 ROUND OF 16: NIGERIA 1 VS NETHERLANDS 3

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U17 ROUND OF 16: NIGERIA 1 VS NETHERLANDS 2

Post by Sir V »

Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:Our boys are coming home. 3-1 down.

Hope the NFF find another manager. Manu has not done well here at all. This team is not it.
He has not done well because welts?
These boys are quite talented as far as I am concerned. And they have played well in this (only) game I have watched.
We are not going to win the WC every time we enter an U17 team.
The boys are not good and our coach nor dey see beyond.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

Brawn no brain. Amoo is like Shaqiri.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote:I would be surprised if any of these boys gets scouted. There is nothing there.
Na your disappointment day talk.
Result is not everything at this level.
These kids are quite talented individually.
Scouts look for individuals, not teams.

If they never get scouted as you say, it will only be down to insufficient exposure.
I see more talent in our boys than the Dutch, no question.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Sir V wrote:our boys are not playing well.
Sir V,

They could lose this game but make no mistake about it they have been the better team in the opening half. They appear to have the better players and have created better opportunities cutting through the Dutch defense regularly. However, lack the haste in attack is mind boggling and not covering the second ball in defense is bad. However, I must admit that the energy and effort put in trying to tie this game has left the team vulnerable to a Dutch attack (Fortunately, the Dutch have been unable to muster much going forward in the opening half).
Bros, I hope we are watching the same game?
Sir V,

I hope so. In the opening half which is what we were talking about, Nigeria was the better team except for the problems that I have already mentioned. Unfortunately, being the better team did not give them the lead at halftime and they obviously lost the game. However, that does not mean that I should suddenly change that thesis.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote:

Hope the NFF find another manager. Manu has not done well here at all. This team is not it.
He has not done well because we lost?
These boys are quite talented as far as I am concerned.
And they have played well in this (only) game I have watched.
These are not the best 11 under 17 in Nigeria. No way.

I don't expect us to win it all the time but I expect a certain standard of football and this is not it.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

I don't expect us to win it all the time but I expect a certain standard of football and this is not it.
We outplayed the Dutch by a country mile. Not sure what else you need to see. Its football. We cannot win every tournament.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

Poorly coached team....running around huffing and puffing clueless!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Sir V wrote:
Damunk wrote:

He has not done well because welts?
These boys are quite talented as far as I am concerned. And they have played well in this (only) game I have watched.
The boys are not good and our coach nor dey see beyond.
Exactly.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

bushboy wrote:
ojafranpa wrote:This is a terrible team and the coaching crew is outdated.
Good team. Loads of talent. Unfortunately, the coach let them down. I am still very high on Tijani. He will be a top level pro.
Talent indeed.I hate watching soccer players that can't just do the basics.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

bushboy wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

We outplayed the Dutch by a country mile. Not sure what else you need to see. Its football. We cannot win every tournament.
Na that we go chop?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:I would be surprised if any of these boys gets scouted. There is nothing there.

If they never get scouted as you say, it will only be down to insufficient exposure.
Well, we dey see different things. :lol:

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

At no time have we taken "the best U17s in Nigeria", even when we won the WC.
We take the best we can find. Manu did it once. He cn do it again but it is not his birthright to win every time he' lands' at the WC.

We have been spoilt by U17 success. So now we are hearing that the boys are "terrible" and 'Brainless"

Typical Nigerian sour grapes.

They are kids. They will learn...and hopefully will build on this their experience.
How anyone can smear them for their performance is beyond me.

Thats not how responsible adults react to failure in kids.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ojafranpa wrote:
bushboy wrote:
Good team. Loads of talent. Unfortunately, the coach let them down. I am still very high on Tijani. He will be a top level pro.
Thank you. I really can't see the talent people are seeing.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Lolly,

Take this to the bank, at least two players from this set will be heard in a few years time. This is about individual players. There is nothing about these individual players that says that they cannot fit into senior level football in Europe or anywhere else in the coming years. TBH, I saw more in these players than I saw with our U20 a few months ago when compared to their mates. Granted this U17 team was not as good as Iheanacho's set but that does not mean all the players will suddenly be rubbished.

Lolly, think about the fact that Nigeria remains in the top 10 in the world in sending players to Europe, many of them from this age group era bit older. Note that this includes sending players to even areas where language can delay a player's chances of advancing quickly. That statistics isn't something to ignore given that these players have actually been more exposed than many of their mates that will eventually undertaken that journey from home.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ojafranpa wrote:
bushboy wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Na that we go chop?
At this level, yes.
If na result you wan chop, then you shouldn't be watching developmental football.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Time to get a coach with european youth football experience- Finidi if he's willing...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

We take the best we can find. Manu did it once. He cn do it again but it is not his birthright to win every time he' lands' at the WC.

We have been spoilt by U17 success. So now we are hearing that the boys are "terrible" and 'Brainless"

They are kids. They will learn...and hopefully will build on this their experience.

Kids or no kids, we are here ranting and raving about football. No other reason for staying awake this late. :lol:

I played football and I understand football. A lot of these players I have been watching over the last week are below par.

They played better today but it is still the same uncoordinated an selfish play.

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

We know everyday nor be Christmas, what some of us are saying is the kind of football we displayed today, if they have played well and lost I will be the first to applaud the boys. I hope the boys and Manu learn something from this tournament.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Kids or no kids, we are here ranting and raving about football. No other reason for staying awake this late. :lol:

I played football and I understand football. A lot of these players I have been watching over the last week are below par.

They played better today but it is still the same uncoordinated an selfish play.

I don't blame the boys; they played to instructions. Even during a tournament Manu still drills his team.

Just an outdated coach who is unwilling to learn...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ojafranpa wrote:
bushboy wrote:
Bro, you need to take off your dark glasses.
I get that you are upset but this your statement get as e be.
The basics?
You mean like first touch, long passes, one-two-interchanges, positioning, tracking back?

Or are you simply allowing the poor final ball and poor decision-making to overshadow everything else?
Wait for the game stats and see whether the 'basics' are reflected or not.

Convert two of those numerous wasted chances and I am certain 75% of you will be singing a different song....even if the brilliant Dutch keeper made two howlers to our benefit.

That's how fickle our fans can be.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Lolly,

Take this to the bank, at least two players from this set will be heard in a few years time. This is about individual players. There is nothing about these individual players that says that they cannot fit into senior level football in Europe or anywhere else in the coming years. TBH, I saw more in these players than I saw with our U20 a few months ago when compared to their mates. Granted this U17 team was not as good as Iheanacho's set but that does not mean all the players will suddenly be rubbished.
Name them.

Most played like they lack the basics. That would be difficult to fix but no impossible.

If I have to chose one or two players, I will say Tijani and Said. Ibrahim looked good in one of the early games but haven't seen much since.
Last edited by Lolly on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Lolly,

You are correct per playing as a team but that does not mean that there are no individuals with the likelihood of making it. The fact that you acknowledged that they played better today should give you hope that there are scouts who will take a chance on some of them. I think, perhaps, our memories of previous great Nigerian teams at this level is leading to this judgment that you are making.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

As a team they look okay, but they lack that exceptional player that can take the game by the scruff and produce a game changer. The likes of Kelechi, Taiwo, Nwakali and Osimeh.

If the game went of for 3 hrs they were not going to score.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho