U17 ROUND OF 16: NIGERIA 1 VS NETHERLANDS 3

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U17 ROUND OF 16: NIGERIA 1 VS NETHERLANDS 2

Post by Sir V »

Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:Our boys are coming home. 3-1 down.

Hope the NFF find another manager. Manu has not done well here at all. This team is not it.
He has not done well because we lost?
These boys are quite talented as far as I am concerned.
And they have played well in this (only) game I have watched.
We are not going to win the WC every time we enter an U17 team.
These are not the best 11 under 17 in Nigeria. No way.

I don't expect us to win it all the time but I expect a certain standard of football and this is not it.
At no time have we taken "the best U17s in Nigeria", even when we won the WC.
We take the best we can find. Manu did it once. He cn do it again but it is not his birthright to win every time he' lands' at the WC.

We have been spoilt by U17 success. So now we are hearing that the boys are "terrible" and 'Brainless"

Typical Nigerian sour grapes.

They are kids. They will learn...and hopefully will build on this their experience.
How anyone can smear them for their performance is beyond me.

Thats not how responsible adults react to failure in kids.
Kids or no kids, we are here ranting and raving about football. No other reason for staying awake this late. :lol:

I played football and I understand football. A lot of these players I have been watching over the last week are below par.

They played better today but it is still the same uncoordinated an selfish play.
I hope they are scouted.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sir V wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Hope the NFF find another manager. Manu has not done well here at all. This team is not it.

I don't expect us to win it all the time but I expect a certain standard of football and this is not it.
We take the best we can find. Manu did it once. He cn do it again but it is not his birthright to win every time he' lands' at the WC.

We have been spoilt by U17 success. So now we are hearing that the boys are "terrible" and 'Brainless"

They are kids. They will learn...and hopefully will build on this their experience.

We know everyday nor be Christmas, what some of us are saying is the kind of football we displayed today, if they had played well and lost I will be the first to applaud the boys. I hope the boys and Manu learn something from this tournament.
Sir V, I simply cannot remember a single occasion when our team has "played well and lost" that our fans have not descended heavily on them. Not one.

Even when we don't lose, like in our recent 1-1 draw with Brazil, see how half of the forum were dealing uppercuts to the team left and right.

We are fans. We are emotional. We talk shyytt in the heat of the moment.

The boys I saw today were nowhere near as bad as y'all are insisting. They were not the 'playstation soccer' team of 2013 and 2015, but you do not have to be certified Wolrd Champions for a neutral observer to recognise your talent.

Like I said, we have been spoilt.
Amuneke's team of 2015 suffered serious yabbis in the early stages of his own campaign. Only difference is that he survived and went on to win. Now all that is blissfully forgotten.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Enugu II wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Kids or no kids, we are here ranting and raving about football. No other reason for staying awake this late. :lol:

I played football and I understand football. A lot of these players I have been watching over the last week are below par.

They played better today but it is still the same uncoordinated an selfish play.
Lolly,

You are correct per playing as a team but that does not mean that there are no individuals with the likelihood of making it. The fact that you acknowledged that they played better today should give you hope that there are scouts who will take a chance on some of them. I think, perhaps, our memories of previous great Nigerian teams at this level is leading to this judgment that you are making.
Maybe the scout thing went into their heads.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

What kind of tactical nous did this team exhibit today when they were down 1-2.
Even after the subs there was no discernible tactical switch. Simply relying on talent or individual brilliance to save the day.
The team wqs flawed from their opening game to the last group game. You can't keep coming from behind to win games. They went to that well one time too many today and it was already dried up.
Hope lessons are learnt all around. Do we have our best minds coaching this kids or is it a case of relying on past glory to get the job?;
Just my own thoughts. Kudos to the lads for a valiant effort. The better organized and more tactical team won on the night.
Hope they all go on to do awesome things at the next level.
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
gapped
Egg
Egg

Post by gapped »

This team to me is the worst coached Nigeria under 17 team in modern memory. As much as folks will like to disagree, today this team was exposed as a team that is not really a team, lacks cohesive approach to playing as a team, tactically inept, technically underserved and underperforming, and above all, relies more on individual brilliance to succeed. Today, Netherlands figured out a way to shut down the aces and 3-1 is the result. Creativity is not really there and no discernable pattern of play can be deduced from the disjointed game approach that they have exhibited. Coaching was abysmal and non-existing. Talented Nigeria U17 kids that should be in the team were left at home. NFF officials, Ministers, Presidency, and tribe all played a role in this team selection so it is not a team that is based on talent, but on permutations.

Sad thing is that while making those decisions, they forgot that at some point that the team will need to be balanced in order to have a fighting chance. So they threw in names regardless of where they fit in a team, and that is why you see the pattern of play, no team unity, and crappy sorry state of a representative of Nigeria football. I am so freaking mad because Nigeria can do better.

None of this boys can make any professional team abroad, and that means that Nigeria senior team will have a talent pull gap in the next couple of years. Talk of shooting self on the foot. I wish those foolish Nigeria official decision makers well though.
Okala the Great
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

bushboy wrote:Manu is a stubborn man. I have no idea why he has chosen to bench Ubani. He took him off inexplicably after 30 mins of the second game and hasn't used him since. Ubani is probably the best finisher we have.

Reminds me of the U20 where after the Brazil game, he chose to bench his best players. The man is inept.
Ubani was out injured for 3 months...
It was clear he was rusty in the first 2 games.
Last edited by Gotti on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ojafranpa wrote:
bushboy wrote:
ojafranpa wrote:This is a terrible team and the coaching crew is outdated.
Good team. Loads of talent. Unfortunately, the coach let them down. I am still very high on Tijani. He will be a top level pro.
Talent indeed.I hate watching soccer players that can't just do the basics.
And "basics" were they unable to do?
They could trap the ball, good first for the most part, and could complete a pass.

The only questionable skill would be shooting... :lol:
But seriously, the team's problem was more TACTICAL than technical.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:
bushboy wrote:Manu is a stubborn man. I have no idea why he has chosen to bench Ubani. He took him off inexplicably after 30 mins of the second game and hasn't used him since. Ubani is probably the best finisher we have.

Reminds me of the U20 where after the Brazil game, he chose to bench his best players. The man is inept.
Ubani was out injured for 3 months...
It was clear he rusty in the first 2 games.
Little facts like this people will not bother to find out.
They'd much rather put it all down to dubious factors.

Remember Manu's U20 team that failed? Same insinuations.
It later transpired that Nacho for one was hiding an injury.
But no, it is always some conspiracy theory or another.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

gapped wrote:This team to me is the worst coached Nigeria under 17 team in modern memory. As much as folks will like to disagree, today this team was exposed as a team that is not really a team, lacks cohesive approach to playing as a team, tactically inept, technically underserved and underperforming, and above all, relies more on individual brilliance to succeed. Today, Netherlands figured out a way to shut down the aces and 3-1 is the result. Creativity is not really there and no discernable pattern of play can be deduced from the disjointed game approach that they have exhibited. Coaching was abysmal and non-existing. Talented Nigeria U17 kids that should be in the team were left at home. NFF officials, Ministers, Presidency, and tribe all played a role in this team selection so it is not a team that is based on talent, but on permutations.

Sad thing is that while making those decisions, they forgot that at some point that the team will need to be balanced in order to have a fighting chance. So they threw in names regardless of where they fit in a team, and that is why you see the pattern of play, no team unity, and crappy sorry state of a representative of Nigeria football. I am so freaking mad because Nigeria can do better.

None of this boys can make any professional team abroad, and that means that Nigeria senior team will have a talent pull gap in the next couple of years. Talk of shooting self on the foot. I wish those foolish Nigeria official decision makers well though.
Bookmarked... 8-)
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Lolly,

You are correct per playing as a team but that does not mean that there are no individuals with the likelihood of making it. The fact that you acknowledged that they played better today should give you hope that there are scouts who will take a chance on some of them. I think, perhaps, our memories of previous great Nigerian teams at this level is leading to this judgment that you are making.
Maybe the scout thing went into their heads.
This is the WC and you bet that there are scouts watching the Nigerian team. Note that scouts watch these players even in lesser tourneys than the WC. Lolly was asking me to name the top players. I certainly would not do so because it is so difficult to pick a player at this age who will be most definitely successful at the senior level with the exception of a mega type player which we did not have. I am, however, going by logic and previous results -- there are usually a player or two from a Nigeria U17 who gets to play at the very senior level. In the last edition of the U17 when Nigeria could not even make it to the African championships we had Igho Ogbu who moved quickly after to the top club in Norway(?). Within a year or two, you will read about a couple of guys moving on to a club in the elite league of some European country. Note that Nigeria currently ranks #10 in exporting players to clubs in the top 2 league levels in Europe. That is nothing to sniff at and many of those players do not even get the type of exposure that these kids have just experienced.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
gapped wrote:This team to me is the worst coached Nigeria under 17 team in modern memory. As much as folks will like to disagree, today this team was exposed as a team that is not really a team, lacks cohesive approach to playing as a team, tactically inept, technically underserved and underperforming, and above all, relies more on individual brilliance to succeed. Today, Netherlands figured out a way to shut down the aces and 3-1 is the result. Creativity is not really there and no discernable pattern of play can be deduced from the disjointed game approach that they have exhibited. Coaching was abysmal and non-existing. Talented Nigeria U17 kids that should be in the team were left at home. NFF officials, Ministers, Presidency, and tribe all played a role in this team selection so it is not a team that is based on talent, but on permutations.

Bookmarked... 8-)
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This should be an easy one, Gotti. It will not even be just one player.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:

Bookmarked... 8-)
Seconded.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

WELL DONE LADS...
You gave it your BEST shot.

Shame we didn't get to see Abba Bichi though
Pretty sure the coaches were saving him for the tough final rounds. 8-)
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Bookmarked... 8-)
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This should be an easy one, Gotti. It will not even be just one player.
Player development at this level is full of uncertainties. A breakthrough could come from any one of the players, incl the bench players.

However on the basis of their performance alone, as a scout I will not pick even one player.

We have not served these players well in terms of proper development. And its a real damn shame...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Damunk, thank u jo. We go win all the time.??? Sheesh!!!!! Good luck in next rounds to other teams. All the best.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

The team is simply not good enough. There was no time you could honestly say, they exhibited control. Everything was rushed, and nothing seemed deliberate. Technically, most of the players were on the borderline of average. Many have said it all, our game can’t be all about speed. They simply lacked the rudiments. None of these players, can honestly make it to the bench of the ‘13, or ‘15 teams.
That’s how mediocre they were.
Didn’t bother to watch today’s game, as I already knew what the outcome would be. Hope they get scouted, though. You never know with youth soccer, under the right influences, they could blossom right.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg
Re: U17 ROUND OF 16: NIGERIA 1 VS NETHERLANDS 3

Post by JACKAL »

I am surprised and sad we are exiting at this point in the competition. I still thought we had enough to get to the Semi's. Garba's run has come to an end. Its time for him to part ways with the youth teams. Its time for new blood and a new attitude.

I am proud we finally produced a team playing with their age peers. I am happy to note that we were competitive all the way. This is a positive thing for us. I am still very excited for youth football in Nigeria.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Naija do well, shia
The "kids" can now return to school
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

The team has been a disappointment. They were poor at African Tournament and despite reshuffling their personnel, there hasn't been much difference at the World Cup.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Man Ataye wrote:Damunk, thank u jo. We go win all the time.??? Sheesh!!!!! Good luck in next rounds to other teams. All the best.

It's not about winning all the time. Rather it's about playing to the standard that one expects from a Nigerian team.

All the same, my best wishes to all our young lads as the journey of their individual careers is just beginning.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

JACKAL wrote:I am surprised and sad we are exiting at this point in the competition. I still thought we had enough to get to the Semi's. Garba's run has come to an end. Its time for him to part ways with the youth teams. Its time for new blood and a new attitude.

I am proud we finally produced a team playing with their age peers. I am happy to note that we were competitive all the way. This is a positive thing for us. I am still very excited for youth football in Nigeria.

Not sure that I can say the same with regards to excitement about our youth program. If you look at the product on the field at both the U17 and U20, as well as some of the underlying reasons for fielding below par teams, we've clearly lost our focus.

We need to go back to the drawing board and right the ship before we veer too far off course.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The more important question is did we discover any promising talents?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Bookmarked... 8-)

Indeed I will be surprised if a handful of these players do not go on to have very productive careers. As disappointing as I think this team has been, there's at least a half dozen players on this team whose progress I will be paying close attention to in the coming years.

Having said that, there doesn't appear to be that 'special' talent or two that we've had in some previous editions of our U17 teams. But it's nothing to fret over as even those apparently 'special' talents do not always pan out. While we've seen situations where talents that were not deemed to be 'special' ended up having very good international careers.