10 lessons we should have learnt from the Lesotho match

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 lessons we should have learnt from the Lesotho match

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) It is time Gernot Rohr drops Daniel Akpeyi for good and looks to the youth for an understudy to Uzoho. Akpeyi simply does not have the reflexes to be a national team goalkeeper. Take the Awaziem own goal for instance, could he not have reacted to that?

(2) Against Brazil, Uzoho made at least three point blank saves from situations similar to the two goals we conceded in Maseru today. Were he playing today, we might have kept a clean sheet. Rohr should use Maduka Okoye for the remaining qualifiers to find out if he is up to the task as we already know that Akpeyi is not

(3) Semi Ajayi has been OK in friendlies but this was his first competitive away game and he struggled. We now know that he ball watches as happened with the first goal. He is not yet there and I wait to see if he will be able to cut it in the English Premier League

(4) Chiagozie Awaziem had a stinker too. We now know that he too struggles in high tempo away competitive matches

(5) Joe Aribo has been heralded as the messiah but alas, friendlies are different from competitive matches, especially when you are playing in front of 25,000 hostile fans. Aribo is still not mature enough to leave things simple. His constant immature dribbling in dangerous areas and losing possession indicates to me that he too desperately needs to be baptised in a major league like the English Premiership

(6) Our weakest position remains the number 10 spot and we desperately need to find a replacement for Alex Iwobi. Watching the likes of Eden Hazard and Antoine Griezmann over the weekend gives an indication of the kind of quality we require in that role

(7) For the third goal, Ola Aina showed what is required of fullbacks at this level. If you ask me, in our back four, the only person I am fully comfortable with is William Ekong. None of the others has convinced me they deserve an automatic shirt

(8) Upfront, why Rohr continues to play Simon Moses remains a mystery to me. Had Samuel Kalu started this game, I believe the match would have been over by half time

(9) Samuel Chukwueze still runs into blind alleys. He has talent yes but is not yet the finished article. There is not enough end product to his game

(10) As things stand, we are too dependent on Victor Osimhen for creativity and goals. If he does not play in a match, we will struggle to score!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 10 lessons we should have learnt from the Lesotho match

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

1,Try not to render verdicts on players after just 1 game. We all watched Awaziem put up a stellar peformance during Afcon, Vs b\Brazil and Ukraine. The fact that he had an error today does not take away from that.

2,It is unreasonable and counter intuitive to expect Akpeyi to save the own goal. A goalie does not expect to make a point blank save if his defender is the closest to the ball.

3, The SE are better because the spine of the team is better, not because they look better on TV. Aribo and Moses are glue players. They simply make teams better because of their work rate and unselfishness. Blame Moses all you want but you rarely saw the full back on his wing causing problems.

4, Ajayi did well today. He's a championship defender playing his first away game in Africa.
let the kid grow.

5, We know you don't know it all.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I agree with Ayo on Akpeyi. While he cannot be faulted for any of the three goals conceded in the AFCON qualifiers, he didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I saw Uzoho pull saves against Ukraine and Brazil that he wouldn't have been blamed for if they went in.
We need a keeper who does more than the safe things.
On Semi Ajayi, I think he underestimated the opposition. It wasn't his best game for Nigeria.
I am happy
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) It is time Gernot Rohr drops Daniel Akpeyi for good and looks to the youth for an understudy to Uzoho. Akpeyi simply does not have the reflexes to be a national team goalkeeper. Take the Awaziem own goal for instance, could he not have reacted to that?

(2) Against Brazil, Uzoho made at least three point blank saves from situations similar to the two goals we conceded in Maseru today. Were he playing today, we might have kept a clean sheet. Rohr should use Maduka Okoye for the remaining qualifiers to find out if he is up to the task as we already know that Akpeyi is not

(3) Semi Ajayi has been OK in friendlies but this was his first competitive away game and he struggled. We now know that he ball watches as happened with the first goal. He is not yet there and I wait to see if he will be able to cut it in the English Premier League

(4) Chiagozie Awaziem had a stinker too. We now know that he too struggles in high tempo away competitive matches

(5) Joe Aribo has been heralded as the messiah but alas, friendlies are different from competitive matches, especially when you are playing in front of 25,000 hostile fans. Aribo is still not mature enough to leave things simple. His constant immature dribbling in dangerous areas and losing possession indicates to me that he too desperately needs to be baptised in a major league like the English Premiership

(6) Our weakest position remains the number 10 spot and we desperately need to find a replacement for Alex Iwobi. Watching the likes of Eden Hazard and Antoine Griezmann over the weekend gives an indication of the kind of quality we require in that role

(7) For the third goal, Ola Aina showed what is required of fullbacks at this level. If you ask me, in our back four, the only person I am fully comfortable with is William Ekong. None of the others has convinced me they deserve an automatic shirt

(8) Upfront, why Rohr continues to play Simon Moses remains a mystery to me. Had Samuel Kalu started this game, I believe the match would have been over by half time

(9) Samuel Chukwueze still runs into blind alleys. He has talent yes but is not yet the finished article. There is not enough end product to his game

(10) As things stand, we are too dependent on Victor Osimhen for creativity and goals. If he does not play in a match, we will struggle to score!
We need Nwakali now :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:I agree with Ayo on Akpeyi. While he cannot be faulted for any of the three goals conceded in the AFCON qualifiers, he didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I saw Uzoho pull saves against Ukraine and Brazil that he wouldn't have been blamed for if they went in.
We need a keeper who does more than the safe things.
On Semi Ajayi, I think he underestimated the opposition. It wasn't his best game for Nigeria.
The biggest point on Akpeyi is that at 33 is he our future? If he is, then fine, lets continue to train him. :rotf: :rotf: If he is not, then we need to move on. Nigerians are so fooking shortsighted, its nauseating. Tufiakwa!

As for Ajayi, its clear that he is a div 2 level player who should not be anywhere near Nigeria. But this is what happens when you have a coach like ****
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The boys did very well. We won and that is all that matters. However, training, coaching and learning from errors such as we saw in the game continues
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

I just watched the game and it was a ding dong affair. We just did what we had to do to beat the team we faced on a bubbly pitch. That's all.
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

This wasn't Semi Ajayi's first competitive game away, his debut was away to Seychelles in the last Afcon qualifiers.
If not for Jesus, where will i be?