Please let's respect this so called minnow teams

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Please let's respect this so called minnow teams

Post by Tobi17 »

Playing against ANY team (I don't care if it's Somalia) isn't easy anymore, the playing field has significantly leveled out recently, and smaller teams sometimes even play more determined and gutsy football than the so called big boys. We saw how Madagascar surprised everyone in the last AFCON... gone are the days when big teams just show up and blow away supposedly minnow teams by astronomical scorelines. To put my point in context, Egypt labored to a draw against Kenya, Ivory Coast huffed and puffed to beat Niger Republic by a measly 1-0 scoreline courtesy of a controversial penalty, Morocco played out a barren 0-0 draw against Mauritania, all these games were at home for that matter for the big teams... if you think it's easy to just roll over the supposed minnows in African football today considering some factors (Bad playing surface, weather conditions, unpredictability of most African "minnow" teams), then you're more delusional than imagined ... You'll realize it's quite a feat even beating teams like this away from home.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Please let's respect this so called minnow teams

Post by vancity eagle »

It is true.

winning in Africa is very tough.

Even Rohr has admitted such, because he knows the truth. Even after our great performances against Brazil and Ukraine, Rohr was cautious saying that winning in Africa is tough.

The weather, the pitches, the referees, and these teams have greatly improved.

I am happy with our 2 matches.

We need to cut out sloppy defensive mistakes and be even more ruthless in finishing off our chances, but man this our team is really taking shape. Haven't been this excited in a long time.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

That does not mean we should play to their level. Sometimes we need to stomp these teams to the ground like Algeria and are doing.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

A minnow is a minnow. There is a certain level of arrogance that comes with being a champion. When you don't train because you are meeting a minnow or you get sloppy in your attitude then you deserve the humiliation.

But part of respecting a minnow team is to play to your standard and ability, making sure you consign them to their level. Until a minnow consistently raise their game to a certain level, they are minnows.

There is a reason why certain teams and countries have been dominating, it is because they have far better and superior artisans. Abeg minnow na minnow and it remains an offence if a better team does not do them the obligation.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

These so called” any way I agree!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

oloye wrote:A minnow is a minnow. There is a certain level of arrogance that comes with being a champion. When you don't train because you are meeting a minnow or you get sloppy in your attitude then you deserve the humiliation.

But part of respecting a minnow team is to play to your standard and ability, making sure you consign them to their level. Until a minnow consistently raise their game to a certain level, they are minnows.

There is a reason why certain teams and countries have been dominating, it is because they have far better and superior artisans. Abeg minnow na minnow and it remains an offence if a better team does not do them the obligation.

Barry Switzer, the former coach of the greatest team on the planet, once ran up the score on small school. when reporters asked him why he left his stars in the game in the 4th quarter eventhough his team was up by 30 points, he responded that when small teams come to play OU they expect to be beaten soundly, and that they would be disappointed if OU didn't beat them like we did. :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote:
oloye wrote:A minnow is a minnow. There is a certain level of arrogance that comes with being a champion. When you don't train because you are meeting a minnow or you get sloppy in your attitude then you deserve the humiliation.

Barry Switzer, the former coach of the greatest team on the planet, once ran up the score on small school on. when reporters asked him why he left his stars in the game in the 4th quarter eventhough his team were up by 30 points, he responded that when small teams come to play OU they expect to be beaten soundly, and that they would be disappointed if OU didn't beat them like we did. :rotf: :rotf:
no one cares about OU....they do not count ..a minnow is a minnow and should never be respected
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
1naija wrote:

Barry Switzer, the former coach of the greatest team on the planet, once ran up the score on small school on. when reporters asked him why he left his stars in the game in the 4th quarter eventhough his team were up by 30 points, he responded that when small teams come to play OU they expect to be beaten soundly, and that they would be disappointed if OU didn't beat them like we did. :rotf: :rotf:
no one cares about OU....they do not count ..a minnow is a minnow and should never be respected

That's why we don't respect U of H. They are HCC level
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

U of H is not a minnow
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

1naija wrote:

Barry Switzer, the former coach of the greatest team on the planet, once ran up the score on small school. when reporters asked him why he left his stars in the game in the 4th quarter eventhough his team was up by 30 points, he responded that when small teams come to play OU they expect to be beaten soundly, and that they would be disappointed if OU didn't beat them like we did. :rotf: :rotf:
That is my policy towards minnows, you disrespect them when you dont beat them soundly! :D
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho