CAF plays their Super Cup in Qatar???

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
CAF plays their Super Cup in Qatar???

Post by kalani JR »

Kudos to Zamalek for rejecting this, even if their reasons arepolitically motivated.
Egyptian club Zamalek confirms it will not travel to Qatar to play Champions League holders Esperance of Tunisia in February's African Super Cup.

The annual match brings together the winners of the African Champions League and the Confederation Cup.

Zamalek president Mortada Mansour has re-iterated his club's stance on travelling to play in Qatar.

"We are two African teams, why should we play in Asia?" he questioned at a press conference on Tuesday.

"I don't understand why Caf (Confederation of African Football) wants to play the Super Cup in a country who is an enemy to Egypt.

"Zamalek board members discussed the issue and decided not to play in Qatar. I am disappointed that Esperance have agreed to play there."

Egypt was one of the Gulf states that severed diplomatic ties with Qatar in 2017, accusing it of destabilising the region.

Mortada added that the club would change its stance if ordered to do so by the Egyptian government.

"At the end of the day it is up to the Egyptian authorities if they want to reverse the decision and if they have another opinion we will respect that," he added.

Last year Caf decided that the Super Cup would be played in Qatar until 2021, rather than the tradition of the Champions League winners hosting the match.

Morocco's Raja Casablanca, the Confederation Cup holders, beat Esperance in last year's match in Qatar.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF plays their Super Cup in Qatar???

Post by Kabalega »

Why not host it on neutral African ground?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Last year Caf decided that the Super Cup would be played in Qatar until 2021, rather than the tradition of the Champions League winners hosting the match.

Morocco's Raja Casablanca, the Confederation Cup holders, beat Esperance in last year's match in Qatar.
This is not new. It already happened last year.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

This is shameful. This can easily be organized on African soil. CAF is just being lazy.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

just like la Liga plan some games in the US??
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...a very bad idea. But again CAF is inept all around.
I bet they moved to the gulf state for economic reasons, money from sponsors, and promoting Qatari up coming fifa world cup hosting.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

By the way, the French Cup (?) was played a few years ago in Libreville, Gabon. IMHO, this is an emerging trend based on two pressure points -- attracting more global fans and for economic reasons. If CAF is doing this for economic reasons, I have no problems with it at all.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Those of you living under a rock or in a cave totally isolated from civilization, we are in the era of globalization. NFL plays a chunk of it’s regular season games in London. French Cup in Africa. La Liga planning to play games in USA (brilliant idea by the way) which if that works well, trust EPL to follow suit.

Nothing wrong with CAF super cup in Qatar or a neutral ground outside Africa.