Mikel obi Vs Ndidi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Mikel obi Vs Ndidi

Post by Bigpokey24 »

This is the beauty of the internet. we can all post whatever we like :D
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Prime Mikel was the more technically gifted player, but Mikel was just too mentally lazy, dude had all the tools to even be a better version of the player he ended up been... and despite winning some trophies... he was still easily overshadowed in that prime Chelsea era by the likes of Essien, Ramires etc. I could be wrong but Mikel despite having some good seasons with Chelsea, was never that pivotal player for them as Essien was... Ndidi would be far more pivotal in literally any top team in Europe right now... the only edge a PRIME Mikel has over Ndidi is that unique intelligence and ability to command a game so well, and with such ease and panache.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Babalawo wrote:This is an insult to Mikel.
Have you guys forgotten so soon?

Wake me up when Ndidi actually PERFORMS in the GWG!
Tell dem o.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

We have some 18 year old kid stating Mikel is mentally lazy :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Mikel: Lexus?
Ndidi: Toyota?
Your pick?

For me it depends on who the opponent is. Both have areas of their game lacking. Ndidi better with the ball in the air and Mikel better with the ball on the ground. Ndidi has better eye for goal but Mikel more comfortable in the middle of the pitch. I still don't think Ndidi can ball in a game with very skillful midfield players like Real Madrid and Juventus but Mikel did. Mikel will look better on camera but Ndidi will do more on the pitch. Overall Mikel is a better player because he can hold his own in the middle of the pitch and boss it and is a box to box midfielder but Ndidi has better workrate and hence impact on the game but needs a supporting holding midfielder by him otherwise his team wont be able to retain the ball.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Mikel for me any day.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

kali wrote:Ndidi is a better midfielder. Ndidi at 22 is already a world class defensive midfielder at a club without too many stars. Do not be surprised to see him soon at either PSG or Man City or Barcelona or Real Madrid or Liverpool. His trajectory is up. Meanwhile Mikel was a decent but not standout DM for Chelsea and the minute he left it was all downhill.
Who did Mikel compete against in midfield as early as 19 years old and compare that to whomever Ndidi has competed against in Midfield so far. The point is, it was much more difficult to stand out in Chelsea's midfield back in the day than Ndidi standing out in Leicester's midfield today.

Mikel's performance on that rag tag olympic team in 2016 gives you an idea of his quality (later in his career). One game away from a gold medal on a unit that was not where near comparable to the glorious 1996 Atlanta team.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Unnecessary comparison...
With that said, world class Ndidi for President anytime, anyday!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Tobi17 wrote:Prime Mikel was the more technically gifted player, but Mikel was just too mentally lazy, dude had all the tools to even be a better version of the player he ended up been... and despite winning some trophies... he was still easily overshadowed in that prime Chelsea era by the likes of Essien, Ramires etc. I could be wrong but Mikel despite having some good seasons with Chelsea, was never that pivotal player for them as Essien was... Ndidi would be far more pivotal in literally any top team in Europe right now... the only edge a PRIME Mikel has over Ndidi is that unique intelligence and ability to command a game so well, and with such ease and panache.
Mikel and Ramires never played the same role in midfield. Likewise Mikel and Essien rarely competed for the DM role. To illustrate in today's Chelsea, Mikel would be in direct competition with Jorginho whereas you've compared him to Kante and Kovacic. Also, when you in the same midfield with Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Maka, Deco, etc., and your boss is Roman who wanted to win trophies every season, suffice it to say that it's a different level of competition and pressure with all due respect to Leicester City - who could win a trophy this season but not expected to win anything. Finishing top 4 will be massive for Leicester while finishing 2nd in the league was grounds for getting fired during Mikel's tenure at Chelsea.

The choice of who folks prefer mostly hinges on whether the person favors an all-action midfielder over a midfield controller. The average fan tends not to fully appreciate the impact of a controller until that player is missing from their midfield (like Jorginho in Lampard's and Sarri's Chelsea). Whereas, all action players like Kova and Kante are more quickly appreciated by fans.

That said, Ndidi is a quality midfielder who has earned the right to transfer to a big club and should do well at the final level of competition as Mikel did over his 10 year career at Chelsea. I prefer the both of them as they both bring different qualities to midfield play. Too bad they both played during different periods.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
SuperEagles

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Prime Mikel was the more technically gifted player, but Mikel was just too mentally lazy, dude had all the tools to even be a better version of the player he ended up been... and despite winning some trophies... he was still easily overshadowed in that prime Chelsea era by the likes of Essien, Ramires etc. I could be wrong but Mikel despite having some good seasons with Chelsea, was never that pivotal player for them as Essien was... Ndidi would be far more pivotal in literally any top team in Europe right now... the only edge a PRIME Mikel has over Ndidi is that unique intelligence and ability to command a game so well, and with such ease and panache.
Mikel and Ramires never played the same role in midfield. Likewise Mikel and Essien rarely competed for the DM role. To illustrate in today's Chelsea, Mikel would be in direct competition with Jorginho whereas you've compared him to Kante and Kovacic. Also, when you in the same midfield with Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Maka, Deco, etc., and your boss is Roman who wanted to win trophies every season, suffice it to say that it's a different level of competition and pressure with all due respect to Leicester City - who could win a trophy this season but not expected to win anything. Finishing top 4 will be massive for Leicester while finishing 2nd in the league was grounds for getting fired during Mikel's tenure at Chelsea.

The choice of who folks prefer mostly hinges on whether the person favors an all-action midfielder over a midfield controller. The average fan tends not to fully appreciate the impact of a controller until that player is missing from their midfield (like Jorginho in Lampard's and Sarri's Chelsea). Whereas, all action players like Kova and Kante are more quickly appreciated by fans.

That said, Ndidi is a quality midfielder who has earned the right to transfer to a big club and should do well at the final level of competition as Mikel did over his 10 year career at Chelsea. I prefer the both of them as they both bring different qualities to midfield play. Too bad they both played during different periods.
Voltron has spoken :taunt: :D
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Mikel could have been so much more. He could have been another Socrates of Brazil who was a midfield general but Mikel settled to play DM and make money. If you want to see how influential Socrates was:

[/video]
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
green4life wrote:

Voltron has spoken :taunt: :D

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: y'all still going at it for over 20 years.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The difference is two world top club teams Battled over one of them whom won every trophy possible while the other plays for minuscule above average one hit wonder team
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

I will take Ndidi over Mikel as a defensive midfielder for the the reasons below.

1) Mike was prone to footballing indiscipline by drifting even further ahead of the strikers which forced other players to cover for him while he was trotting back from wherever (if you ever watched the Eagles play live, you will see this, not so much watching on telly)

2) Secondly, he held on way too long to the ball for a defensive midfielder.

Ndidi is lucky that he is in a partnership with Etebo and vice versa (this "relatively" early into their SE careers), two similar players that seemingly understand each other, Mikel never had a fruitful stable partnership like that.

I would have loved to see Mikel play in front of Ndidi and Etebo at the height of his prowess, freeing him of any defensive responsibilities and ensuring the other two are aware they have minimal attack supporting responsibilities. However, his legs are gone and Iwobi wasn't up to it at the Nations cup so we need to keep searching or hope Iwobi gets his confidence from somewhere.

Now if we could snag QPR's Eze from England, we might be on to something with that midfield triumvate.