Troy Deeney: 'You can't have equal pay' in women's football

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Troy Deeney: 'You can't have equal pay' in women's football

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:D oya way those wey think otherwise come wire mr Deeney

Troy Deeney has said that women footballers do not deserve the same pay as their male counterparts.

In an interview with GiveMeSport, the Watford club captain pointed to commercial reasons by saying “you can't have equal pay if there's not equal money.”

The striker has been injured for most of the current campaign and has only played two games all season, but the 31-year-old was keen to stress that the lack of revenue generated by the women’s game is justification for the lower contracts handed to women.

READ MORE: Chicago Bears dominate Dallas Cowboys to keep playoff hopes alive

READ MORE: Newspaper defends 'Black Friday' headline with 'lynching' response

Deeney said: "I don't mind women's football. I am of the business understanding though, when people say 'it should be equal pay'.

"If the business makes sense, it does. So you look at KSI and Logan [Paul], should they be making the same money as Anthony Joshua for a boxing match? No, but the business side of it says they do.
How many women's football matches are selling out week in, week out, 20,000 plus? They're not. So that's just logical business.

"But in terms of, do I sit and watch women's football? Yeah. Should they be getting paid the same as Neymar? No, because business-wise, you're not selling shirts like him and you're not packing out stadiums like him.”
Despite Deeney saying that he watched women’s football, when asked if he could name five players on the England team he replied: "Nope, and wouldn't even try. Do you think equal pay would make that happen? And do you think they should be entitled to equal pay when I don't even know who they are?"

Watford currently sit bottom of the Premier League with just one win all season. Hayden Mullins is currently acting as caretaker manager and the club has already sacked Quique Sanchez Flores and Javi Gracia already this campaign.

Deeney returned to the starting lineup in the team’s game with Leicester City on Wednesday, but couldn’t prevent his side losing 2-0 to Brendan Rodgers’ men.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/troy-deene ... 52152.html
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Troy Deeney: 'You can't have equal pay' in women's footb

Post by Coach »

They’ll bring up his drug dealer past before the ink for this interview’s dried. Fully expect the “disappointing remark for a BAME professional...” to follow.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Equality vs Equity in pay is a touchy topic. Remove equality from what he said and replace it with equitable Pay structure and you have a better understanding of what he is trying to say.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

What people have been missing is the debate is often made with National teams in mind not clubsides.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

kalani JR wrote:What people have been missing is the debate is often made with National teams in mind not clubsides.
Trust you to dumb down the main topic..smh
SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:What people have been missing is the debate is often made with National teams in mind not clubsides.
Anything anyone adds to a topic that was started by you automatically raises the level of discourse, now flee from my sight wretched cur.

Deeney is likely arguing from the perspective of clubsides which is not what the USWNT lawsuit was focused on, they just wanted equal paycheck with their male NATIONAL TEAM counterparts. Even the example he used KSI vs. Logan is in poor taste, that was a celebrity exhibition, perhaps I am mistaken but I think Rapinoe, Lavelle and their colleagues are professionals just like him, they have even been to the World Cup unlike him. Even his false equivalence doesn't hold up since the USWNT had comparable television viewers and probably have larger following in the country.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Anything anyone adds to a topic that was started by you automatically raises the level of discourse, now flee from my sight wretched cur.

Deeney is likely arguing from the perspective of clubsides which is not what the USWNT lawsuit was focused on, they just wanted equal paycheck with their male NATIONAL TEAM counterparts. Even the example he used KSI vs. Logan is in poor taste, that was a celebrity exhibition, perhaps I am mistaken but I think Rapinoe, Lavelle and their colleagues are professionals just like him, they have even been to the World Cup unlike him. Even his false equivalence doesn't hold up since the USWNT had comparable television viewers and probably have larger following in the country.
Ouch. Be gentle on BP...of course he has to get the put down first :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cito wrote:Equality vs Equity in pay is a touchy topic. Remove equality from what he said and replace it with equitable Pay structure and you have a better understanding of what he is trying to say.
That won't fly....when people women football starts generating huge revenues, then equal pay...in fact this equal pay is BS in Corp America . Women are paid the same with men...that false statement has been debunked
SuperEagles

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Thank you!

The conversation was not about private enterprise but about teams representing their respective countries.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cellular wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Thank you!

The conversation was not about private enterprise but about teams representing their respective countries.
Even that - one can argue the men's game is more commercially viable. FIFA pay more yo men's team at the wc than women.
What the USWNT is spinning is because they win nore chanpionship than their make counterpart but we all know it's the same ball but different ball game altogether
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cellular wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Thank you!

When the women worldcup start raking billions of dollars in revenue, wake me up...the women worldcup only started in 1991.....whereas men's started in 19 oju kokokoro.

It's all about the benjamins...
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

pajimoh wrote:
Cellular wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Thank you!

Even that - one can argue the men's game is more commercially viable. FIFA pay more yo men's team at the wc than women.
What the USWNT is spinning is because they win nore chanpionship than their make counterpart but we all know it's the same ball but different ball game altogether
I believe US Hockey and US Basketball are already ahead of the USSF.

The key is to make them a percentage of total revenue.

USWNT and the female basketball colleagues were even insinuating that the wanted private enterprise to have equal pay. And the capitalists were saying that their revenue doesn't support that argument.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

pajimoh wrote:
Cellular wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Thank you!

This is probably not true if the lawsuit is anything to go by.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
take a look at this, I agree 100%

also the wage gap is a myth
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]

for all you simp men who are being bamboozled
SuperEagles