Moise Kean a sub, subbed after 17 mins

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Moise Kean a sub, subbed after 17 mins

Post by pajimoh »

I know subs have been subbed but did Duncan Ferguson handle it well?
You have a 19 year old player you just subbed in only to sib him after 17 mins.
What I find ridiculous is the treatment he gave Kean as he came off - he turned his back on him without any acknowledgement.
As a manager he's responsible for results as well as the morale of his players.
His behaviour shows he probably doesn't rate Moise and now he's taken over the job, it's showing.
If Moise is not at the level he should be then why sub him in or if he's not playing to instruction why not pull him aside during a break in play and instruct him?
Last edited by pajimoh on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Moise Kean subbed as a sub after 17 mins

Post by Kabalega »

pajimoh wrote:I know subs have been subbed but did Duncan Ferguson handle it well?
What I find ridiculous is the treatment he gave Kean as he came off - he turned his back on him without any acknowledgement.
His behaviour shows he probably doesn't rate Moise and now he's taken over the job, it's showing.
If Moise is not at the level he should be then why sub him in or if he's not playing to instruction why not pull him aside during a break in play and instruct him?
Why don't you ask Keane?

The manager said his peace by his actions and in the press.

The manager put the ball at the player's feet (some will say half or court). It's up to Keane to figure out what to do with it.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Kabalega wrote:
pajimoh wrote:I know subs have been subbed but did Duncan Ferguson handle it well?
Why don't you ask Keane?

The manager put the ball at the player's feet (some will say half or court). It's up to Keane to figure out what to do with it.
First, it is Kean and how do you suggest I ask him since the thread is about YOUR OPINION, of the matter and NOT the managers opinion.
If you don't have one, try thr next thread or Uganda football :taunt: :D
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

A tale of two cities. From Kean's perspective, the ignominy was immeasurable. The substitution of the substitute for anything other than injury is akin to the pillory and all the dale's blighted produce. But, just as the tenderness of Kean's age is being offered as a carte blanche and cause for immunity from scold and reprimand, the outlay on his acquisition begs to differ. Everton spent a considerable amount on a teenager and one would assume, are paying him a considerable salary. With that comes expectation, regardless of age. As an admirer of Kean's potential and optimistic about the move, it was readily apparent that, not only was he lacking the fire and tenacity effortlessly expended by his teammates with maximal effort, he represented considerable risk in doing so. United were in the ascendency and having a striker seemingly playing his own game and struggling to effect the instructions given, was too much a liability. If United get a late winner, the introduction of Kean and his lack of defensive cover is the charge that sees Ferguson out of contention.

Yes it was cold, cut-throated and callous, but it could be a harsh dose of reality for a young man waiting to kick his EPL career on. Everton will suffer no slouch, indulge no ego and embrace no fancy Dan, least of all under Big Dunc. There are some words which are best said in actions. Ferguson was clearly disappointed in his display and showed that displeasure ruthlessly. To the media, he came out and declared it a time-wasting exercise, which, though clearly not the case, offers the "we move on" lifeline to Kean. Hopefully he grabs it. He's a talented young player and could be a great asset for Everton.

Ferguson said (via The Telegraph [sauce]): “He struggled to get up to the speed of the game. I asked him to go centre-forward, then asked him to change to the right-hand side, which is unfair on him. That’s when I said I’m going to put on a guy who can handle it a bit better.

“I think it’s understandable if you’re a sub and getting subbed off. I can see why he’s upset. But it’s for the good of the team. I’ll speak to him next time I see him, I’ll mention it. I’ve been there as a player myself, I’ve been subbed on and subbed off myself. He’ll be fine. He’ll come again, he’s only 19
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

pajimoh wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Why don't you ask Keane?

First, it is Kean and how do you suggest I ask him since the thread is about YOUR OPINION, of the matter and NOT the managers opinion.
My opinion is simple and obvious. Limit fake news!
Get all the facts before you go off forming opinions based on false assumptions. :taunt: :)
Just ask Rohr press..... :P :)
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Kabalega wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Why don't you ask Keane?

Get all the facts before you go off forming opinions based on false assumptions. :taunt: :)
It's obvious you lack something that is common to all.
I asked you a simple question based on whst actually happened.
How can that be fake news? If your opinion is in line with that of the manager say so.
Everyone is using the word fake news. Was Kean substituted or not as a sub? If it didn't happen then it's FAKE news. If it did happen then what is your oipion? If you have none then move to another thread.
Last edited by pajimoh on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Coach wrote:A tale of two cities. From Kean's perspective, the ignominy was immeasurable. The substitution of the substitute for anything other than injury is akin to the pillory and all the dale's blighted produce. But, just as the tenderness of Kean's age is being offered as a carte blanche and cause for immunity from scold and reprimand, the outlay on his acquisition begs to differ. Everton spent a considerable amount on a teenager and one would assume, are paying him a considerable salary. With that comes expectation, regardless of age. As an admirer of Kean's potential and optimistic about the move, it was readily apparent that, not only was he lacking the fire and tenacity effortlessly expended by his teammates with maximal effort, he represented considerable risk in doing so. United were in the ascendency and having a striker seemingly playing his own game and struggling to effect the instructions given, was too much a liability. If United get a late winner, the introduction of Kean and his lack of defensive cover is the charge that sees Ferguson out of contention.

Yes it was cold, cut-throated and callous, but it could be a harsh dose of reality for a young man waiting to kick his EPL career on. Everton will suffer no slouch, indulge no ego and embrace no fancy Dan, least of all under Big Dunc. There are some words which are best said in actions. Ferguson was clearly disappointed in his display and showed that displeasure ruthlessly. To the media, he came out and declared it a time-wasting exercise, which, though clearly not the case, offers the "we move on" lifeline to Kean. Hopefully he grabs it. He's a talented young player and could be a great asset for Everton.

Ferguson said (via The Telegraph [sauce]): “He struggled to get up to the speed of the game. I asked him to go centre-forward, then asked him to change to the right-hand side, which is unfair on him. That’s when I said I’m going to put on a guy who can handle it a bit better.

“I think it’s understandable if you’re a sub and getting subbed off. I can see why he’s upset. But it’s for the good of the team. I’ll speak to him next time I see him, I’ll mention it. I’ve been there as a player myself, I’ve been subbed on and subbed off myself. He’ll be fine. He’ll come again, he’s only 19
Many Everton fans have commented on Duncan's lack of "man management" abilities. I can't say I agree or diagree.
However we can all talk about tough love but the incident can easily make or break Kean depends on how he handles it.
Yes he's getting paid but he's also an investment by the club and you look after your investment. I'm sure if it was a 19m super car Duncan will be more caring.
Turning his back on him without any attempt to make contact shows he was probably p!$$3d with him on top of the himiliation of being subbed after only 17 minutes.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

If you pay millions on a kid and you mismanage the asset, let me spell it carefully here, yes the kid may lose out, but the club would be losing millions as well.
When I listen to people try to use the salary the kid earns to justify the stupid action of a coach trying to be what he is not, they need to understand that there is a business aspect involved which demands that the wellbeing of the player be managed as a valuable asset, nothing more nothing less.

Sometimes we may get angry and throw those words around saying hey but they are earning oh bladi oh blada, and as such should be able to handle themselves. Yes they should, but what if they can't, what if they need time to grow? Does that mean the manager put in charge of this asset should be allowed to destroy the asset?

If you pay 20 Milla for a young prospect, will you standby and allow an unknown manager with nothing to his name other than one trying to climb the ladder to destroy that asset? The answer is obvious and when the time comes it will be seen. No serious club or company would allow that, all Duncan has revealed is that he is a poor man manager, other players will notice this and players don't forget.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Coach wrote:A tale of two cities. From Kean's perspective, the ignominy was immeasurable. The substitution of the substitute for anything other than injury is akin to the pillory and all the dale's blighted produce. But, just as the tenderness of Kean's age is being offered as a carte blanche and cause for immunity from scold and reprimand, the outlay on his acquisition begs to differ. Everton spent a considerable amount on a teenager and one would assume, are paying him a considerable salary. With that comes expectation, regardless of age. As an admirer of Kean's potential and optimistic about the move, it was readily apparent that, not only was he lacking the fire and tenacity effortlessly expended by his teammates with maximal effort, he represented considerable risk in doing so. United were in the ascendency and having a striker seemingly playing his own game and struggling to effect the instructions given, was too much a liability. If United get a late winner, the introduction of Kean and his lack of defensive cover is the charge that sees Ferguson out of contention.

The least he could was wrap his arm around him or even acknowledge him.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

He may have done just that [arm around the shoulder] in the dressing room. Agree, it was a public shaming which was harsh, but with the failure to follow instruction (allegedly) and lack of defensive contribution (apparent), the alternative to substitution was? A more seasoned gaffer gets a player to go down, forcing United to kick the ball out, the captain’s called over and given order to read Kean the riot act. Calling him over to the touchline wouldn’t have been enough. The path of least resistance was to get him off and someone who would put the desired into effect on.

With regard to the blanking, ‘tis highly likely Big Dunc lacks civility in conflict resolution, a headbutt more likely than a constructive critique. Man can only be what he is and Duncan is as agbero as they come. He was protecting himself more than anything.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

People forget Fergueson was once not only a player, a players player, but also an inspirational captain, who lead his team not with talent but with passion and heart.

No coach wants to sub a sub, but if a player is not playing to instruction, but more importantly is showing they are not clearly committed, then the Coach is 100% entitled to send a clear message, which is what Duncan did. If you are not ready to play, you dont get to play. As simple as that.

Its now up to Moses. He can either fess up, or sulk up.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Kabalega wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Why don't you ask Keane?

What are you on about?

The player was yanked off for not following instructions.
In initial reports (from the beeb), the coach said that Keane was not playing with the right energy for the game (I'm paraphrasing) that's why he yanked him off.

I assumed that the manager had already had a talk with the player but didn't get through to him. So yanking him off would help send the message.

Your posts and supporters, assume that the manager just yanked off an "innocent" young boy. Possibly damaging him and what not.
The guy could have been clubbing all night before the game and the manager who knew, still gave him a benefit of the doubt when he brought him on. We don't know.

The fake news is trying to build a case for a hidden agenda under the guise of opinion, which is now a euphemism for laziness at fact finding.

Even a market woman will do a better job at fact finding and analysis, before starting rumors that started as her opinion. :taunt: :taunt:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

oloye wrote:

:lol: :lol: Like Alex Ferguson always did in such situations at ManU? :lol: :lol: :lol:
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

oloye wrote:If you pay millions on a kid and you mismanage the asset, let me spell it carefully here, yes the kid may lose out, but the club would be losing millions as well.
When I listen to people try to use the salary the kid earns to justify the stupid action of a coach trying to be what he is not, they need to understand that there is a business aspect involved which demands that the wellbeing of the player be managed as a valuable asset, nothing more nothing less.

Sometimes we may get angry and throw those words around saying hey but they are earning oh bladi oh blada, and as such should be able to handle themselves. Yes they should, but what if they can't, what if they need time to grow? Does that mean the manager put in charge of this asset should be allowed to destroy the asset?

If you pay 20 Milla for a young prospect, will you standby and allow an unknown manager with nothing to his name other than one trying to climb the ladder to destroy that asset? The answer is obvious and when the time comes it will be seen. No serious club or company would allow that, all Duncan has revealed is that he is a poor man manager, other players will notice this and players don't forget.
Bros, I totally disagree with you. Sometimes tough love is needed over cuddling.
You cannot say Duncan Fergueson is a poor man manager when he has 'most' of his players playing with energy and passion and like they are playing their last football game for 90 mins.

You dont know what Duncan has said to Moses in the locker room before this game. He might have already tried the support approach and clearly it did not work. Maybe he felt it was time for the tough love approach.

Either way, we shall see who is right when we see how his team and most importantly Moses reacts, the next time he gets an opportunity
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Kabalega wrote:
oloye wrote:

:lol: :lol: Like Alex Ferguson always did in such situations at ManU? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would have loved to engage you in football discussion but it would be a waste of time, that you have to reference Sir Ferguson in the context of modern football convinces me I don't need to waste my time.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

charlie wrote:
oloye wrote:If you pay millions on a kid and you mismanage the asset, let me spell it carefully here, yes the kid may lose out, but the club would be losing millions as well.

Bros, I totally disagree with you. Sometimes tough love is needed over cuddling.
You cannot say Duncan Fergueson is a poor man manager when he has 'most' of his players playing with energy and passion and like they are playing their last football game for 90 mins.

You dont know what Duncan has said to Moses in the locker room before this game. He might have already tried the support approach and clearly it did not work. Maybe he felt it was time for the tough love approach.

Either way, we shall see who is right when we see how his team and most importantly Moses reacts, the next time he gets an opportunity
Like I said Charlie time will prove the right or wrong of it. These days I try not to argue having found the secret behind the essence of time.

Players today are different, their mentality are different. I am one of the hardest people you will meet in a dressing room, but common sense has since shown that what you call education 20 years ago is now deemed an abuse and the kids born into that environment share that mentality. You won't get anything out of them by sticking to that old way, sorry you will be left behind as many old managers are finding out.

Humans today are more fragile and you see it everywhere. You guys are not looking at the business side of it, unfortunately those who run the business see the financial reports and will not allow a bad manager who has not won anything as a manager to damage or to turn a 20 million investment into 2 million because he chooses to apply some outdated technique, they did not become financial success by doing that.

The truth is even in the days when they crack the whip, there were players who did not thrive under that system, but managed to thrive in an environment that was more sympathetic, at least if anything while there may be some benefits in the old way, the new way has improved the old way and made it possible to accommodate the sensitive ones in the dressing room.

I laugh when I see fans make team list by the side lines when they do not even understand why some managers have to play certain players.

Let me just say, let us watch this space. The fact that Duncan has to lie with this daft notion of some tactical substitution tells you he knew he goofed.

You can be tough on players, but when you begin to ridicule players, others are watching and waiting, players always have the last laugh.

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

charlie wrote:

First of all your team doesn't have to play with energy to make you a good man manager.
There are rumours that Guardiola is not a very good man manager but his teams play with a lot of energy.
Secondly, not all humans respond to tough love.
Redknapp, in some circles, was seen as a manager lacking tactics but he can make you feel like you can play for the Universe All Stars. That way he got more out of his players.
At 19 you can easily destroy a players confidence, not even so much as the substitution but acknowledge the player.
Maurinho has seen it all and recently he pulled Dier out a game in the first half. Dier started the game, he got substituted half way through the first half. Not only did Maurinho hug him on the way off the pitch but he also state the reason he took him off during post match by way of appeasing his player.
Duncan has not made all the mistakes Maurinho has made and has not had all the victories Maurinho has had. In my opinion Duncan is raw and he need to get all the players on his side. Yes do what he must but be mindful of the state of mind of the same players you will rely on to get you out of a fix. Players can stop playing for a manager
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Duncan looked like a school prefect or some ex soviet trainer! That been said, Everton are in a bad place right now and they need the points to stay up this season! These are hard times for Everton, for a team that usually finished top 10 and find themselves staring down the relegation barrel, serious hard work is needed, If Duncan feels kean is not up for the premiership, get rid of him in january, if i was kean, i will ask my agent to find me a loan deal where he can thrive, A Brendan Rogers can nurture him
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

oloye wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
oloye wrote:

I would have loved to engage you in football discussion but it would be a waste of time, that you have to reference Sir Ferguson in the context of modern football convinces me I don't need to waste my time.
Is this a reaction to the Pogba effect? :sneaky:

I wonder how many ManU fans accused Sir Alex Ferguson of mistreating kids when he was building his legacy?
I will not assume or opine on that... besides, it was a different era, :sneaky:
Keane is NOT Lukaku either! :D

Some of us have Van Gaal's experience at ManU still etched in our minds or was that too long ago too.
The younger Ferguson at Everton doesn't seem to think so.
In this game he hopefully, got a point across as he certainly did on the EPL table.

The bigger picture and recurring theme of this thread is that of arriving at conclusions based on popular sentiment that often does not "critically analyze" footie incidents.

It is no better than village market square women starting gossip and adding salacious tidbits to it. :drool:
Last edited by Kabalega on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

@Oloye, @Pahjimoh,
All we are doing is guessing on how Keane might react. If DF was right or wrong, it will show in the performance of Moses Keane and his teammates.

Lets continue this debate after the next Everton game.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

charlie wrote:@Oloye, @Pahjimoh,
All we are doing is guessing on how Keane might react. If DF was right or wrong, it will show in the performance of Moses Keane and his teammates.

I am not guessing, I have been there and I know what humiliation of a player is. Ask any player how they would feel with that nonsense. Tactical or not, it is humiliating. Strange you now change the tune to guessing :lol:

There is overwhelming evidence to show that players don't even like being substituted,, never mind being humiliated. In the dressing room, that is how such substitution is seen.

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

charlie wrote:@Oloye, @Pahjimoh,

Charlie, I am not saying the player or players might not react positively to such move but I'm saying it could be more damaging as well and if Duncan could have handled it better by at least acknowledging the player on the sideline after such humiliating substitution?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...could it be the classic "lost in translation" thing?
Coach is Scottish or English, player is Italian.
Did the coach's instruction not carried out promptly as instructed or something else
I agree, the coach should have said something to the kid as he exited the field.
The whole thing was bizarre.