No single Nigerian in Africa 11

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: No single Nigerian in Africa 11

Post by john12 »

when I hail coach rohr for all he has done for nigeria considering when he took charge, some will think I am just ranting. but look at it yourself. in a team consisting of Caf Xi, there isn't any nigerian player. currently, we do not have any superstars. on paper, our 11 isn't the top 3 best in Africa but we want to mandate our coach to Win ANC or termination. my guys, stop living in Delusional World. super eagles just have bunch of average players that can achieve with goodluck, time and patience. however, you cannot be average and arrogant. Humble yourself.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Nah real wah for CAF...dem for kukuma just remove Afcon from torey...even with the highest scorer Ighalo, who was among the top 5 nominees for APOY...kai Ahmed vs peakmilk

It is really crappy. How can they list Aubameyang when he did nothing really in Gabon's shirt. BTW, how many games did Matip play for Cameroon NT or Cameroon club in the past year? Please remind me. Just ridiculous. Clearly, Ighalo deserves to be listed way ahead of Aubameyang. No contest really. The only reason this type of list gets produced is that CAF undervalues its own competitions in favor of European club football.

Kai, this is like Nigeria awarding Nigerian Player of the Year to Tammy Abraham or Ebere Eze. :boo:
No it's not neither of them are Nigerian internationals nor have they represented Nigeria at any international level.
Auba was the top scorer in a major league despite his team finishing 6th, Ighalo provided a great thread to tease tfco.

Also not having one of the best XI Africans players (whatever that fking means) reflects well on Rohr doesn't it?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Rawlings wrote:
Dammy wrote:Until Ndidi moves to a big club, he would not be considered among Africa's best.
All the listed players, play for big clubs. Leicester is not a big club.
Hakim Ziyech (Ajax/Morocco) ... Ajax is no longer a big club
Ndidi is simply not up to scratch
Ajax is a traditionally big club.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Nah real wah for CAF...dem for kukuma just remove Afcon from torey...even with the highest scorer Ighalo, who was among the top 5 nominees for APOY...kai Ahmed vs peakmilk

It is really crappy. How can they list Aubameyang when he did nothing really in Gabon's shirt. BTW, how many games did Matip play for Cameroon NT or Cameroon club in the past year? Please remind me. Just ridiculous. Clearly, Ighalo deserves to be listed way ahead of Aubameyang. No contest really. The only reason this type of list gets produced is that CAF undervalues its own competitions in favor of European club football.

Kai, this is like Nigeria awarding Nigerian Player of the Year to Tammy Abraham or Ebere Eze. :boo:
No it's not neither of them are Nigerian internationals nor have they represented Nigeria at any international level.
Auba was the top scorer in a major league despite his team finishing 6th, Ighalo provided a great thread to tease tfco.

Also not having one of the best XI Africans players (whatever that fking means) reflects well on Rohr doesn't it?
Kalani

Was Matip a Cameroon international in 2019? The answer should give you a clue about the mention of Tammy Abraham.

On the issue of Aubameyang, please tell me what he did playing for Gabon that equaled or bettered what Ighalo did playing for Nigeria.

On Rohr? Why is that important to the debate? I do not see Rohr's relevance here and that is not a point that I am I. The leat interested in debating.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Kalani

Was Matip a Cameroon international in 2019? The answer should give you a clue about the mention of Tammy Abraham.

On the issue of Aubameyang, please tell me what he did playing for Gabon that equaled or bettered what Ighalo did playing for Nigeria.

On Rohr? Why is that important to the debate? I do not see Rohr's relevance here and that is not a point that I am I. The leat interested in debating.
The Rohr thing wasn't directed at you, was more of a general comment towards the thread.

These awards try to incorporate the whole season, otherwise Mahrez wins ahead of Mane. There should be higher weighting given to international play but ultimately the AFCON is a three week, seven game tournament and I don't think it erase the accomplishments of a player's entire season. Also the tournament has its own awards.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

enugu common brother you're smarter than this. Apoy and Caf Xi are individual awards not team award. what does aubemeyang has to do with Gabon not qualifying for ANC? remember when George weah won apoy in 1995? ask yourself where was liberians in African football. remember when ikpepa won apoy in 1997 ask yourself what he did for Nigeria. let's give credit where credit is due because on paper and squad wise in Africa, SE isn't the top 3 but we expect miracles. you can't be average and arrogant
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

john12 wrote:enugu common brother you're smarter than this. Apoy and Caf Xi are individual awards not team award. what does aubemeyang has to do with Gabon not qualifying for ANC? remember when George weah won apoy in 1995? ask yourself where was liberians in African football. remember when ikpepa won apoy in 1997 ask yourself what he did for Nigeria. let's give credit where credit is due because on paper and squad wise in Africa, SE isn't the top 3 but we expect miracles. you can't be average and arrogant
Preach on!!
My broda, you talk sense backed up with solid evidence.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

I blame Hayatou lol. But honestly CAF is doing any justice to promote football in Africa. I agree that Matip who has basically retired from the Cameroon national team has no business in that team. Ighalo definitely deserves to be there over Aubameyang
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Rogermilla wrote:I blame Hayatou lol. But honestly CAF is doing any justice to promote football in Africa. I agree that Matip who has basically retired from the Cameroon national team has no business in that team. Ighalo definitely deserves to be there over Aubameyang
:rotf: :laugh: :laugh: :woot: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Kalani

The Rohr thing wasn't directed at you, was more of a general comment towards the thread.

These awards try to incorporate the whole season, otherwise Mahrez wins ahead of Mane. There should be higher weighting given to international play but ultimately the AFCON is a three week, seven game tournament and I don't think it erase the accomplishments of a player's entire season. Also the tournament has its own awards.
Kalani,

The national teams were not only involved in an AFCON. They had qualifiers and international friendlies. IMHO, the club performance in a non-African shirt should not be the focus of CAF. Those performances are already taken into account in the awards in Europe.

AFCON should focus on performance in an African shirt. It is from that viewpoint that I analyze these players. BTW, the criterion that I suggest above is far more liberal than what Europe, Asia, and South America, AT PRESENT, use for their awards!

Yes, Mahrez could have also won deservedly. I would not have had any issues if had done so. That is why I have not mentioned his name. My beef is first about Matip who had 0 (ZERO) performance in an African shirt and Aubameyang whose performance in an African shirt certainly paled in comparison to what Ighalo did in an African shirt.

What is astonishing is that this same CAF insists that the goal of the year must be a goal scored while playing for an African team -- club or national team -- but yet won't put that meaningful restriction in its selection of the Player of the Year. I wonder what happened to consistency in criteria. this is why the absurdity of Matip's selection occurs, previously occurred with Samuel Kuffour, and will likely occur in the future.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bigpokey24 wrote:African best XI: Andre Onana (Ajax/Cameroon), Achraf Hakimi (Borussia Dortmund/Morocco), Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli/Senegal), Joel Matip (Liverpool/Cameroon), Serge Aurier (Tottenham/Ivory Coast), Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City/Algeria), Idrissa Gana Gueye (Paris St-Germain/Senegal), Hakim Ziyech (Ajax/Morocco), Mohamed Salah (Liverpool/Egypt), Sadio Mane (Liverpool/Senegal), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal/Gabon)

So not a single SE....not even Ndidi :rotf: ok CAF...carry on
NFF media department needs to do a better job of publicising and promoting the SE players.

For one, they could site stats to show that Ndidi is one of the best in the world and not just Africa.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Kalani

Kalani,

The national teams were not only involved in an AFCON. They had qualifiers and international friendlies. IMHO, the club performance in a non-African shirt should not be the focus of CAF. Those performances are already taken into account in the awards in Europe.

AFCON should focus on performance in an African shirt. It is from that viewpoint that I analyze these players. BTW, the criterion that I suggest above is far more liberal than what Europe, Asia, and South America, AT PRESENT, use for their awards!

Yes, Mahrez could have also won deservedly. I would not have had any issues if had done so. That is why I have not mentioned his name. My beef is first about Matip who had 0 (ZERO) performance in an African shirt and Aubameyang whose performance in an African shirt certainly paled in comparison to what Ighalo did in an African shirt.

What is astonishing is that this same CAF insists that the goal of the year must be a goal scored while playing for an African team -- club or national team -- but yet won't put that meaningful restriction in its selection of the Player of the Year. I wonder what happened to consistency in criteria. this is why the absurdity of Matip's selection occurs, previously occurred with Samuel Kuffour, and will likely occur in the future.
Kpom!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Kalani

Kalani,

Kpom!
But those are still African players, no? Playing for Liverpool in a European competition doesn’t change the fact Mane is a Senegalese and an African player.

His performances for Liverpool is the foundational basis of his NT invitation. To completely ignore it as suggested makes zero sense...

What I would recommend is that greater weight be assigned to performance in AFCON...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Txj

But those are still African players, no? Playing for Liverpool in a European competition doesn’t change the fact Mane is a Senegalese and an African player.

His performances for Liverpool is the foundational basis of his NT invitation. To completely ignore it as suggested makes zero sense...

What I would recommend is that greater weight be assigned to performance in AFCON...
Txj

Think through the argument above. Is the European or South American award based on whether one is European or South American? The answer is no. Their awards are based on performance in European and South American competitions respectively. I hope you also realize that while Mane is Senegalese and African that he is eligible for the European award based on the fact that he plays in European competitions. Now has Matip played in an African competition in 2019?

I hope you also realize that Messi and Neymar are not even eligible for the South American award which is stricter because it is restricted to players who are members of South American clubs and not just whether one plays in a South American competition. That they are South Americans matter diddly.

Now, let us take your point that the CAF awards is for Africans. Are you then claiming that if Lionel Messi (Argentine) is currently playing for TP Mazembe that he (Messi) should not be eligible for the African award because he is Argentine and not African?

The bottomline is that these awards make sense when they are awarded for performance in the competitions organized by the Confederation. That recognition of Matip is ridiculous and makes little sense same as the travesty that led to Samuel Kuffour's ward years ago.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
Txj

Txj

Think through the argument above. Is the European or South American award based on whether one is European or South American? The answer is no. Their awards are based on performance in European and South American competitions respectively. I hope you also realize that while Mane is Senegalese and African that he is eligible for the European award based on the fact that he plays in European competitions. Now has Matip played in an African competition in 2019?

I hope you also realize that Messi and Neymar are not even eligible for the South American award which is stricter because it is restricted to players who are members of South American clubs and not just whether one plays in a South American competition. That they are South Americans matter diddly.

Now, let us take your point that the CAF awards is for Africans. Are you then claiming that if Lionel Messi (Argentine) is currently playing for TP Mazembe that he (Messi) should not be eligible for the African award because he is Argentine and not African?

The bottomline is that these awards make sense when they are awarded for performance in the competitions organized by the Confederation. That recognition of Matip is ridiculous and makes little sense same as the travesty that led to Samuel Kuffour's ward years ago.
There isn't a European award so to speak of and CAF clearly relies on star power so they can't be strict as CONMEBOL.

Also what was the Sammy Kuffour travesty?
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Enugu II wrote:
Txj

Txj

Totally agree with EnuguII but the funny part about it is that the CAF award has no basis on anything.....

If you based it on AFCON and other CAF tournaments, Matip and co should not smell the list.

If you base it on individual accolades.....Pepe with his stats last year should make the list.

The issue with CAF is that like most African countries.....it is all over the place due to poor leadership.

EnuguII is right, I don’t really care if Ndidi or Ighalo makes the list but at this rate, the AFCON is becoming a nuisance rather than a tournament u want to honor....

If Matip wants to be the best player in African or even Ebere Eze....CAF just told them that u don’t need to honor national team calls just be the best in ur club team. Thus if Messi was African from Burundi, but never played in an African club side or national team, he will be the best African player year in year our......

Now tell me why I will waste my summer to compete in AFCON? Ain’t like we are going to win it anyways.

If Tammy Abraham scores 77 goal next Euros.....don’t be surprised if CAF makes him the best player next year. Lol
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
Txj

Txj

But CAF has an award specific to performance by a player based in Africa, similar to CONMEBOL.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

This selection is clearly a reflection of the outcome of the power tussle between the various factions of the CAF❗️

Cheers.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

john12 wrote:when I hail coach rohr for all he has done for nigeria considering when he took charge, some will think I am just ranting. but look at it yourself. in a team consisting of Caf Xi, there isn't any nigerian player. currently, we do not have any superstars. on paper, our 11 isn't the top 3 best in Africa but we want to mandate our coach to Win ANC or termination. my guys, stop living in Delusional World. super eagles just have bunch of average players that can achieve with goodluck, time and patience. however, you cannot be average and arrogant. Humble yourself.
Rohr has not achieved anything special with the SE. Let´s hear word jo!

WC qualification and AfCON Bronze, we will not hear word again!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

WTF is Aurier doing in there?! :shock:

To be honest the only Nigerian player that would get near Africa's best XI is Ndidi. But then he has Partey and Gueye standing in front of him.
Bigpokey24 wrote:African best XI: Andre Onana (Ajax/Cameroon), Achraf Hakimi (Borussia Dortmund/Morocco), Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli/Senegal), Joel Matip (Liverpool/Cameroon), Serge Aurier (Tottenham/Ivory Coast), Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City/Algeria), Idrissa Gana Gueye (Paris St-Germain/Senegal), Hakim Ziyech (Ajax/Morocco), Mohamed Salah (Liverpool/Egypt), Sadio Mane (Liverpool/Senegal), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal/Gabon)

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote:WTF is Aurier doing in there?! :shock:

To be honest the only Nigerian player that would get near Africa's best XI is Ndidi. But then he has Partey and Gueye standing in front of him.

Let’s name alternatives sha...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The only serious changes to that 11 is to get rid of Aurier (a joke selection) and perhaps Ziyech since having him in the team along with the Fantastic Four of Salah, Mane, PAE, and Mahrez will make the team too attacking. They would essentially be playing 4-1-5 to fit in all those attackers! No balance. Maybe Partey, Ndidi, Kondogbia, or Diawara instead of Ziyech.
maceo4 wrote:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

wiseone wrote:The only serious changes to that 11 is to get rid of Aurier (a joke selection) and perhaps Ziyech since having him in the team along with the Fantastic Four of Salah, Mane, PEA, and Mahrez will make the team too attacking. They would essentially be playing 4-1-5 to fit in all those attackers! No balance. Maybe Partey, Ndidi, Kondogbia, or Diawara instead of Ziyech.
maceo4 wrote: