Victor Moses Named in Nigeria's All-Time XI

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Victor Moses Named in Nigeria's All-Time XI

Post by Enugu II »

Victor Moses in Super Eagles All Time XI
https://www.aclsports.com/victor-moses- ... l-time-xi/
Calvin Emeka Onwuka January 12, 2020Blogs, Football,

Former Chelsea player Victor Moses makes my first eleven in my All-Time Green/Super Eagles team I was asked to select by Temisan Okomi on twitter. A team that seems to have stirred controversy with followers on the Social Media app.

I decided to have a go and here is my team:

Enyeama; Okechukwu, Chukwu, Odiye; Moses, Keshi, Oliseh, Owolabi; Odegbami, Yekini, Okocha.
Subs: Okala; H Nwosu, Yobo, Kanu, Ekeji.
Coach: Westerhof
Formation: 3-4-3

As I started to think about the players who have won the Green-White-Green of Nigeria from when I can remember – which will be from 1977 to date, it had me stumped first.

Anytime I get asked this question I always try to think as a coach and a formation that can be used in a real match situation. I decided to go for a 3-4-3 formation.

Vincent Enyeama: I saw Emma Okala, Best Ogedegbe, Peter Rufai and a few others keep goal for Nigeria but there was none as consistent as Vinny. In the years I watched him closely, I can’t remember any goal the Super Eagles conceded in which I thought “Vinny could and should have done better there”. That is a special quality.

I chose three centre-backs:

Uche Okechukwu: Between 1989 and 1998 “Big Igbo” (as Westerhof used to call him) was the best Nigerian defender of that generation of Nigerian players. He was unbeatable in the air, tackled fiercely and led his men. He was also a very reader of the game which meant he rarely ever had to go on the floor to win balls.

Christian Chukwu: The first SI Unit of measuring defenders for the Nigeria national team. Took over from Godwin Achebe as the Green Eagles captain in 1975 holding the band till after captaining Nigeria to our first AFCON win in 1980. He was a leader, scoring goals for club and country.

Godwin Odiye: Famous for that own goal in November 1977 as the Green Eagles failed in the campaign to qualify for the 1978 Argentina based FIFA World Cup. Alongside Chukwu, Odiye was incredibly quick, tackled and headed anything that moved. Played for Nigeria at three AFCONs between 1976 and 1980. He speaks candidly here:

I chose four players ahead of the CBs two of who will be wing backs.

Victor Moses: His inclusion is what has caused consternation and has probably led to this blog. In the wing back role that I have chosen for this team to play, I can only give it to Moses. In South Africa when the Super Eagles won the AFCON in 2013 he was vital in the win as a free forward across the front line. In Brazil he contributed his bit with the team that eventually fell to France in the second round. Four years later, Moses was influential as the Super Eagles qualified from a tough qualifying group to make Russia. Played in the wing back role in Russia.

Felix Owolabi: AFCON ’80 winner, Owo Blow played in every role down that left hand side for the Green Eagles. He would be at home as Left back, Inside left or as left winger. He has the energy to play as a wing back and the defensive nous to cover for who will be the nominal left sided player.

Stephen Keshi. Another leader. The Big Boss was at home in central midfield as he would be as centre-back. He and Chukwu would not have been an ideal partnership at CB hence my moving him into midfield where he will form a double pivot with

Sunday Oliseh: Oliseh made his debut in 1993 and held his role till the end of AFCON 2002. He was the one who redefined the role for the Super Eagles after Westerhof had tried Austin Eguavoen and Emeka Ezeugo without much success in the role. Oliseh had it all in that role.

Austin Okocha takes the nominal role of being in the hole behind the two strikers. It was straight battle between Okocha and Henry Nwosu, in the end I plumped for JJ because he was pure magic and in tight situations he could be counted upon to produce a rabbit out of a hat.

Segun Odegbami: Nigeria’s first football superstar and the best player as Nigeria won the AFCON on home soil in 1980 would make any team of all time for anyone who saw him play. I had written about Odegbami in this article

Rashidi Yekini: Nigeria’s all-time leading goalscorer. Goalsfather needs little introduction as without him it would have been extremely difficult to qualify for our first world cup in 1994. He was the top scorer as we won the AFCON in Tunisia in 1994 and was Nigeria’s first African Footballer of the year in 1993.

The team will be coached by Clemens Westerhof. Here is an extensive interview with the former Super Eagles manager

With the team and formation I decided to go with, I have had to leave out Finidi George, Humphrey Edobor, Adokiye Amiesimaka, Emma Amuneke, Ben Iroha, Austin Eguavoen, Henry Nwosu, Patrick Ekeji and many many more. I have chosen a team to play.

Haruna Ilerika – he spoke to us here too , Thompson Usiyan I was too young to have watched them. Usiyan interview

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Victor Moses Named in Nigeria's All-Time XI

Post by ohenhen1 »

Chukwuze is already better than V Moses.

The auditor or editor need to edit the article and remove V Moses name.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

yawn
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Victor Moses in Super Eagles All Time XI
https://www.aclsports.com/victor-moses- ... l-time-xi/
Calvin Emeka Onwuka January 12, 2020Blogs, Football,

Former Chelsea player Victor Moses makes my first eleven in my All-Time Green/Super Eagles team I was asked to select by Temisan Okomi on twitter. A team that seems to have stirred controversy with followers on the Social Media app.

I decided to have a go and here is my team:

Enyeama; Okechukwu, Chukwu, Odiye; Moses, Keshi, Oliseh, Owolabi; Odegbami, Yekini, Okocha.
Subs: Okala; H Nwosu, Yobo, Kanu, Ekeji.
Coach: Westerhof
Formation: 3-4-3

As I started to think about the players who have won the Green-White-Green of Nigeria from when I can remember – which will be from 1977 to date, it had me stumped first.

Anytime I get asked this question I always try to think as a coach and a formation that can be used in a real match situation. I decided to go for a 3-4-3 formation.

Vincent Enyeama: I saw Emma Okala, Best Ogedegbe, Peter Rufai and a few others keep goal for Nigeria but there was none as consistent as Vinny. In the years I watched him closely, I can’t remember any goal the Super Eagles conceded in which I thought “Vinny could and should have done better there”. That is a special quality.

I chose three centre-backs:

Uche Okechukwu: Between 1989 and 1998 “Big Igbo” (as Westerhof used to call him) was the best Nigerian defender of that generation of Nigerian players. He was unbeatable in the air, tackled fiercely and led his men. He was also a very reader of the game which meant he rarely ever had to go on the floor to win balls.

Christian Chukwu: The first SI Unit of measuring defenders for the Nigeria national team. Took over from Godwin Achebe as the Green Eagles captain in 1975 holding the band till after captaining Nigeria to our first AFCON win in 1980. He was a leader, scoring goals for club and country.

Godwin Odiye: Famous for that own goal in November 1977 as the Green Eagles failed in the campaign to qualify for the 1978 Argentina based FIFA World Cup. Alongside Chukwu, Odiye was incredibly quick, tackled and headed anything that moved. Played for Nigeria at three AFCONs between 1976 and 1980. He speaks candidly here:

I chose four players ahead of the CBs two of who will be wing backs.

Victor Moses: His inclusion is what has caused consternation and has probably led to this blog. In the wing back role that I have chosen for this team to play, I can only give it to Moses. In South Africa when the Super Eagles won the AFCON in 2013 he was vital in the win as a free forward across the front line. In Brazil he contributed his bit with the team that eventually fell to France in the second round. Four years later, Moses was influential as the Super Eagles qualified from a tough qualifying group to make Russia. Played in the wing back role in Russia.

Felix Owolabi: AFCON ’80 winner, Owo Blow played in every role down that left hand side for the Green Eagles. He would be at home as Left back, Inside left or as left winger. He has the energy to play as a wing back and the defensive nous to cover for who will be the nominal left sided player.

Stephen Keshi. Another leader. The Big Boss was at home in central midfield as he would be as centre-back. He and Chukwu would not have been an ideal partnership at CB hence my moving him into midfield where he will form a double pivot with

Sunday Oliseh: Oliseh made his debut in 1993 and held his role till the end of AFCON 2002. He was the one who redefined the role for the Super Eagles after Westerhof had tried Austin Eguavoen and Emeka Ezeugo without much success in the role. Oliseh had it all in that role.

Austin Okocha takes the nominal role of being in the hole behind the two strikers. It was straight battle between Okocha and Henry Nwosu, in the end I plumped for JJ because he was pure magic and in tight situations he could be counted upon to produce a rabbit out of a hat.

Segun Odegbami: Nigeria’s first football superstar and the best player as Nigeria won the AFCON on home soil in 1980 would make any team of all time for anyone who saw him play. I had written about Odegbami in this article

Rashidi Yekini: Nigeria’s all-time leading goalscorer. Goalsfather needs little introduction as without him it would have been extremely difficult to qualify for our first world cup in 1994. He was the top scorer as we won the AFCON in Tunisia in 1994 and was Nigeria’s first African Footballer of the year in 1993.

The team will be coached by Clemens Westerhof. Here is an extensive interview with the former Super Eagles manager

With the team and formation I decided to go with, I have had to leave out Finidi George, Humphrey Edobor, Adokiye Amiesimaka, Emma Amuneke, Ben Iroha, Austin Eguavoen, Henry Nwosu, Patrick Ekeji and many many more. I have chosen a team to play.

Haruna Ilerika – he spoke to us here too , Thompson Usiyan I was too young to have watched them. Usiyan interview

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts.
I remember that we went through this exercise.

Interesting that he chose 3-4-3 and chose Westerhoff when there's no history of Westerhoff playing that system. The team should be 4-4-2.

Even with his 3-4-3 formation. As a wing-back, was VicMo better than Babachampagneyaro? Or even Iroha?
Chief Justice was a better left winger than Amuneke.

Finidi deserves to be on the list before VicMo.
Finidi was a two-way player. He started off as a defender before transitioning to a winger.

There's NO single aspect of VicMo's game that he is better than Finidi. None.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

The person making the list in red cannot do well in exams. The question was asked per
........"All Time" ........,
........"since 1960" ...........,
and he is answering ............. "since 1977"

So he wants people to be answering
........."since 1984" .......;
........."since 1989" .......;
........."since 1994" .......;
etc,
etc,
etc.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

These ones don drunk. They're totally off their rockers. Victor Who???? Mechionu jooorrrr
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ohenhen1 wrote:Chukwuze is already better than V Moses.

Has weed been legalized in your area? Chukwueze better than victor moses????
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Victor moses is one of the best players to ever play for Nigeria. I put him on the same level as Finidi and Amuneke (before he got injured).
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

1naija wrote:Victor moses is one of the best players to ever play for Nigeria. I put him on the same level as Finidi and Amuneke (before he got injured).

LOL...he’s not even as good as Tijani Babangida...though a tad bit better than Ikpeba was as a winger.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

deanotito wrote:
1naija wrote:Victor moses is one of the best players to ever play for Nigeria. I put him on the same level as Finidi and Amuneke (before he got injured).

LOL...he’s not even as good as Tijani Babangida...though a tad bit better than Ikpeba was as a winger.

:shock: Tijani who? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Ikpeba > Victor Moses >>>>>> Tijani.

Ikpeba by the way was being played out of position, he's stated preferred position is supporting striker.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ANC wrote:
deanotito wrote:

:shock: Tijani who? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Ikpeba > Victor Moses >>>>>> Tijani.

Ikpeba by the way was being played out of position, he's stated preferred position is supporting striker.
What position is supporting striker? That's some bullshait position created by Nigerians for strikers who don't score. Who is the supporting striker for Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc.?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

one thing I have noticed here is that when people don't like a player, they will try to discredit all that player achievements even without data,facts etc. Moses played a significant role in qualifying us for ANC, 2 world cups and also won an ANC. in addition to it, he scored 11 in 38 appearances (I think) more than many of our previous wingers. Also, he won 2 UEFA cups, Fa cup, Premier league while playing a significant role once again. but, for whatever reasons, he isn't liked here and people will discredit all achievements. for me as a pure 7
Finidi - odegbami- V moses
while as an RWB

Moses - Finidi - Odegbami-

this is my opinion sha and I always provide data. everyone else is entitled to their opinions. The likes of chukwueze must match moses achievements at SE to even be compared to him. as for now, they're just "talented youngsters"
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

truth be told, if Finidi played as a winger in the same era as Odegbami, findi would have been benched.
Granted all that I know of Odegbami are from highlights.

Now why was findi so special? ...IMHO he defended well.
The first time I saw him play for Ajax, I was amazed or rather shocked that a winger could defend as well as he did.

Finidi any day over V Moses both as a wingback or rightwing.
I don't know much about Odegbami, but I pick Finidi over him.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

No Finidi George??? No Ameneke ??
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

Mudasiru Lawal did not make his list

:boo: :boo: :boo:
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The author is not serious not including Muda lawal amd Emanuel Amunike.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote:Chukwuze is already better than V Moses.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Chikwueze is still a grass cutter. He not achieved anything with the super eagles yet. He is only a prospect .
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Chukwuze is better. Even he doesnt deserve a place in the all time best 11 at this stage of his career.

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

john12 wrote:one thing I have noticed here is that when people don't like a player, they will try to discredit all that player achievements even without data,facts etc. Moses played a significant role in qualifying us for ANC, 2 world cups and also won an ANC. in addition to it, he scored 11 in 38 appearances (I think) more than many of our previous wingers. Also, he won 2 UEFA cups, Fa cup, Premier league while playing a significant role once again. but, for whatever reasons, he isn't liked here and people will discredit all achievements. for me as a pure 7
Finidi - odegbami- V moses
while as an RWB

Moses - Finidi - Odegbami-

this is my opinion sha and I always provide data. everyone else is entitled to their opinions. The likes of chukwueze must match moses achievements at SE to even be compared to him. as for now, they're just "talented youngsters"
My friend, no be question of like or not like. In fact, the only player I mentioned wey I no like na Ikpeba. But on Moses, it’s important to separate stats from what you saw. He was the king of selling penalties and scored more than a Kong’s share for Nigeria, but he is not and has never been world class. I remember the first day I heard Chelsea bought Moses, I asked my friend why Chelsea is dropping in quality.

Finidi George, for a chunk of the 90s was world class. And even after he dropped off, there is no technical aspect of the game in which Moses was better than him in. Zero. None. Even in speed, Finidi was faster. The problem with the Eagles set of 94-2000 was underachievement. Talent wise, they were light years ahead of some of these jokers you people shout about.

Amuneke is a bit more controversial. For 3 games in 94, the boy was pure fire. But injuries and an arguably limited technical arsenal make his choice ahead of Moses a little difficult. But I’d still go with him. His game impact was obscene.

Tijani. The fastest SE ever. Had to sit in Finidi’s shadow for too much of his career but he had more to offer me than Victor Moses.

Now for those talking about Chukwueze, this is where I’d say we need to pump the brakes and see a bit more from Chukwueze. He definitely has more talent than Vic Mo but he needs to up his game impact
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

What No Finidi?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
First appropriate response to this thread.