DAILY MAIL: On AFCON Schedule Change......

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: DAILY MAIL: On AFCON Schedule Change......

Post by aruako1 »

benteke wrote:Wow. Daily Mail coming up with such a sensible article

Well said :clap:
Martin Samuel is a good writer.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Benedict Iroha wrote:I wonder why African nations cannot just build retractable roof for the June/July weather period. Like the Amsterdam arena on a smaller scale, you can find a turkey construction company that will do that for a good price.
Have you tried to go anywhere in Lagos during a massive downpour? I remember the 2000 Nations Cup and the atmosphere created by fans walking home from the stadium. You want them to do it in the rainy season? Why does Europe have its tournament in the summer when it can be played in winter?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

aruako1 wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:I wonder why African nations cannot just build retractable roof for the June/July weather period. Like the Amsterdam arena on a smaller scale, you can find a turkey construction company that will do that for a good price.
Have you tried to go anywhere in Lagos during a massive downpour? I remember the 2000 Nations Cup and the atmosphere created by fans walking home from the stadium. You want them to do it in the rainy season? Why does Europe have its tournament in the summer when it can be played in winter?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

aruako1 wrote:
Money, you get more tourists in the summer than the winter.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

kalani JR wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Attendance is already an AFCON issue yet we want to play under harrowing weather conditions. I'm not sure what the obsession is with signing African players. How many players in the Cameroon, Senegal and Ghana teams of 1990, 2002 and 2010 played in top premier league teams? How did we do in 2018 with top premier league talent?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

aruako1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Attendance is already an AFCON issue yet we want to play under harrowing weather conditions. I'm not sure what the obsession is with signing African players. How many players in the Cameroon, Senegal and Ghana teams of 1990, 2002 and 2010 played in top premier league teams? How did we do in 2018 with top premier league talent?
Two of those tournaments were about 30 to 20 years ago and the footballing landscape has changed drastically since 2010. IIRC however the Senegalese team sans a couple of players was completely based in France.

Ultimately CAF is going to have to do what's best for them even if it may run counter to what the players want. They face the issue of international football becoming less and less relevant but that's a different discussion.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

kalani JR wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Two of those tournaments were about 30 to 20 years ago and the footballing landscape has changed drastically since 2010. IIRC however the Senegalese team sans a couple of players was completely based in France.

Ultimately CAF is going to have to do what's best for them even if it may run counter to what the players want. They face the issue of international football becoming less and less relevant but that's a different discussion.
My point is that African teams have not progressed despite the fact that top European teams now sign them more regularly. The Senegal team of 2002 did not have anyone in a top European team. Ghana probably had a couple in 2010. Africa needs to have the tournament at a time that suits the it best.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Man, I think you know the answer to that question.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

when a leading coach tells you that African nations cup being held in January will be massively considered before signing african players, you better believe him. some coaches didn't even say anything but best believe, they will never sign African players except Extteme Exceptional. Remember this, You need them More than they need you. A whole SAF rarely signed African players probably because of this reason
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

john12 wrote:when a leading coach tells you that African nations cup being held in January will be massively considered before signing african players, you better believe him. some coaches didn't even say anything but best believe, they will never sign African players except Extteme Exceptional. Remember this, You need them More than they need you. A whole SAF rarely signed African players probably because of this reason
Yes, fortunately or unfortunately that’s where it’s heading. The top teams will not sign African players but I don’t see the lower teams giving up on them as they’ll be cheaper. Ideally this is good as it could force African FAs back home to improve leagues but we all know they’ll find a way to screw that up.

For me the tournament should hold every four years but should be kept in January. Unless African stadia are built with retractable roofs or something but even then it’s not only the stadia it’s for the safety of fans as well.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Yes, fortunately or unfortunately that’s where it’s heading. The top teams will not sign African players but I don’t see the lower teams giving up on them as they’ll be cheaper. Ideally this is good as it could force African FAs back home to improve leagues but we all know they’ll find a way to screw that up.

For me the tournament should hold every four years but should be kept in January. Unless African stadia are built with retractable roofs or something but even then it’s not only the stadia it’s for the safety of fans as well.

but we know that African football is an epitome of the African Economy. unfortunately, our economy is a shithole and the football is a reflection of it. most people here wanna flex muscles and praise this decision but tomorrow, when they cant find new african players at the biggest clubs then they will scream Racism. sometimes, people will be the architect of their own downfall and they dont even know it. "You cannot be a shithole and be arrogant"
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

john12 wrote:when a leading coach tells you that African nations cup being held in January will be massively considered before signing african players, you better believe him. some coaches didn't even say anything but best believe, they will never sign African players except Extteme Exceptional. Remember this, You need them More than they need you. A whole SAF rarely signed African players probably because of this reason
Complaints are always and mainly coming from the Premier league. Hardly hear complaints coming from Europe (especially those who have winter breaks).

SAF rarely signed African due to AfCon (your theory).... How many Asian or South American players did SAF sign? It has little or nothing to do with AfCon.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Yes, fortunately or unfortunately that’s where it’s heading. The top teams will not sign African players but I don’t see the lower teams giving up on them as they’ll be cheaper. Ideally this is good as it could force African FAs back home to improve leagues but we all know they’ll find a way to screw that up.

All this retractable roofs suggestions? How many stadiums in the Worlds have retractable roofs? In UK, I can only think of Wimbledon Centre Court and the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Fabio, read this again. when a leading coach decide to tell you that African cup of nations being held in january will influence signing African players best believe him. Also, just because certain coaches aren't speaking at all dosen't mean they dont feel the same. infact, Klopp speaking about it speaks volume. Respect the people that Says their mind because ignoring someone is a statement itself. Also, Winter breaks has no effects on african cup of nations because they aren't held at the same Timeframe. and yes SAF didnt sign as much Africans probably due to this reason he signed black players so racism should be disqualified
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

fabio wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote: Yes, fortunately or unfortunately that’s where it’s heading. The top teams will not sign African players but I don’t see the lower teams giving up on them as they’ll be cheaper. Ideally this is good as it could force African FAs back home to improve leagues but we all know they’ll find a way to screw that up.

All this retractable roofs suggestions? How many stadiums in the Worlds have retractable roofs? In UK, I can only think of Wimbledon Centre Court and the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.
There are cheaper open roof styles that can be built, similar to greenhouses.