AFCON 2021 MOVED UP TO JANUARY!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
AFCON: ill-conceived Summer Ditched, Next 3 back to Jan/Feb

Post by Enugu II »

Vote takes place soon.....
14 January 2020 GMT: 18:43
Exclusive: Lekjaa says CAF has cash and that no decision has been made on Samoura staying
14th January 2020
http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020 ... a-staying/
By Osasu Obayiuwana

January 14 – Fouzi Lekjaa, second Vice-President of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), has told Insideworldfootball that the organisation has a minimum bank balance of $100 million and is far from broke, as has been alleged in recently months.

“We have that much in the account,” said Lekjaa, who is also the chairman of CAF’s Finance Committee.

“It could even be up to $110 million. But I have to check to give you the exact figure,” said Lekjaa, during an exclusive interview with Insideworldfootball in Rabat, Morocco’s capital.

“There is no doubt that we need to raise a lot more money for CAF, because there are a lot of activities for which we need to spend money. If we don’t improve our financial management and marketing of our activities, we will not be able to improve the quality of our competitions.”

“We need to act with a faster, quicker pace to improve African football. There is a lot of work to do, to make our game better.”

Following a string of allegations, regarding financial mismanagement within the organisation, CAF is expected to carry out a forensic audit, under the supervision of FIFA, world football’s governing body.

It is not known if the audit has been carried out or when it will begin.

Regarding whether the six-month stay of Fatma Samoura, as FIFA’s General Delegate to Africa, will be extended beyond January 31, Lekjaa could not give a definite answer.

“We expect to take a decision on this matter at the end of January or the very beginning of February. During the CAF awards in Hurghada, President Ahmad had already started talking to some of us, asking for our opinions on when we should discuss this matter…”

“But whether Samoura stays or not, CAF needs to be in partnership with FIFA to develop football on the continent.”

The CAF executive committee will be meeting in Yaounde, Cameroon, on Wednesday, where it is expected that a decision will be taken, to reschedule the tournament date for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations, which is to be staged in the central African country.

It is expected to revert to the January/February time slot, as opposed to the newly established June/July period, which was the period within which the 2019 tournament in Egypt was organised.

The 2023 and 2025 tournaments, to take place in Cote D’Ivoire and Guinea, are certain to be played during the January/February period as well, as both countries share the same weather conditions as Cameroon.

Osasu Obayiuwana’s 90-minute interview with Lekjaa, talking about CAF’s controversial decision to break its contract with Lagardere Sport, his alleged assault of Ethiopian Referee Bamlak Tessema, the real state of CAF’s finances, as well as a much-touted 2021 CAF Presidential bid, will be published on these pages, in the coming days.

Contact Osasu at [email protected]
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON: ill-conceived Summer Ditched, Next 3 back to Jan/

Post by theYemster »

$100 million to run CAF? In my opinion that's broke.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

The most clueless federation.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Her Majesty, the Queen's Secret Servants will not like this at all at all. Olofofo people!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

theYemster wrote:$100 million to run CAF? In my opinion that's broke.
That depends on their budget though. If they intend to spend $90m then they are not broke but may indicate incompetence & poverty of ideas.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
AFCON 2021 MOVED UP TO JANUARY!

Post by 1naija »

CAF Drops AFCON 2021 Bombshell
By Jerry Chifamba
https://allafrica.com/stories/202001160117.html

Cape Town — The 2021 Africa Cup of Nations will start months earlier on January 9 after its dates were moved, hosts Cameroon have announced.

A statement published on the CAF's website said organisers had asked for the dates to be changed because of "the unfavourable weather conditions during the period initially scheduled".

The tournament had been scheduled to take place in June and July.

But following a meeting with representatives from the CAF, including the organisation's president Ahmad Ahmad, the Cameroon Football Federation (Fecafoot) tweeted: "It (2021 Africa Cup of Nations) will be played in Cameroon from 9 January to 6 February, 2021. Date changed for weather reasons at Cameroon's request."

The qualification series for the tournament continues in August 2020.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON 2021 MOVED UP TO JANUARY!

Post by fabio »

A similar thread is opened in World Football!

It´s going to be merged.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

fabio wrote:A similar thread is opened in World Football!

It´s going to be merged.

You don't think this belongs on Eagles nest?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote:You don't think this belongs on Eagles nest?
just following forum rules and my oga´s order!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Na una sabi.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote:Na una sabi.
After 10 years!, i be win you for argument :laugh: :thumb:
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

They disrespected our Afcon by hosting the 24 Club World Club cup a few days after the Afcon, it’s only right to do whatever suits us after all they (FIFA) have no respect for Africans and Africa!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:They disrespected our Afcon by hosting the 24 Club World Club cup a few days after the Afcon, it’s only right to do whatever suits us after all they (FIFA) have no respect for Africans and Africa!
hmm, interesting
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Do we have the AFCON too frequently?
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Confused Continent!

No wonder I (and most of you) run away
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Rawlings wrote:Confused Continent!

No wonder I (and most of you) run away
Reverend, where are you running, or intend to run to?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

kalani JR wrote:The most clueless federation.
Why are they clueless? Did they not specify reasons for the move or are you not convinced? I believe the initial decision to move it to the summer period was a bad one considering the weather conditions in most African countries during that period.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The positive about this, all those low rated UK naija born players will now reject the SE....time to focus on the league
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

kalani JR wrote:Do we have the AFCON too frequently?
True but most Africans appreciate international football more than their club football and it’s the only thing that brings them together even if I’m wrong not many African nations will qualify to the World Cup and their fans can only wait one life time!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Bigpokey24 wrote:The positive about this, all those low rated UK naija born players will now reject the SE....time to focus on the league
:rotf: :clap: As a Uk born Nigerian I find that funny, very funny.Africa won’t change just so that Nigeria can cap English Championship players!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

There are reasons why it is frequent. Development of the game across the continent and the fact that it is really the main cash cow for the confederation. What I am baffled about is that those who advocate 4 years simply cited other confederations as if the interests are similar. Why not advocate three years or five year breaks and not merely imitate, if there are good reasons for those?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Africa Cup of Nations: Who could my club be without in 2021?

Algeria won the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations with Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez a key player

The decision to move the Africa Cup of Nations back to January could see more than 30 current Premier League players miss up to six matches and could "put managers off" making signings.

The 2019 tournament - won by Algeria - was held in June and July but next year's edition has been moved back to January.

Premier League leaders Liverpool could lose Senegal's Sadio Mane, Egypt's Mohamed Salah and Guinea's Naby Keita for a month next season.

"It definitely affects your thinking when it comes to signing African players," former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp told BBC World Service.

"Invariably when they come back from the tournament, they're not the same. They don't seem to recover from the rigours of the Cup of Nations."

Why has the tournament moved?
The 2017 decision to move the start of the competition to June, from January, was widely welcomed, especially by top European clubs.

But next year's competition will take place from 9 January to 6 February, 2021, having been moved because of weather conditions in host country Cameroon - where there were highs of 33C on Wednesday.

The change also means that the tournament will not clash with the expanded Club World Cup, being held in China in June 2021.

"You'll suddenly lose players for six to eight weeks because they will go away to a training camp before," Redknapp told the Sport Today programme.

"When you're signing players, you do look at it and if they're going away to the Cup of Nations, sometimes you think: 'I'll give this one a miss.'

'I've lost contracts because of the tournament'
Further down the footballing pyramid, the move could also hamper a player's club career.
Dagenham & Redbridge defender Gabriel Zakuani - a former DR Congo captain and Peterborough, Northampton and Gillingham player - says he missed out on signing for clubs in the past because he would be away for so long during the season.

"I've had offers of a new contract taken off the table because I decided to go to the Cup of Nations," he told Sport Today.

"I can understand it from the point of view of managers but we want to go and we want to win it. I've had managers pulling their hair out every time I've had to go but it's tradition.

"The weather is better in that period in Cameroon [the winter]; we need the best Cup of Nations for African football and that's the right time to play it. It's as important in a career as anything else."

Who would my club miss?
Which players could your Premier League club be without next season? Based on internationals in current squads, and assuming all listed nations qualified:

Arsenal - Pierre-Emerick Aubmaeyang (Gabon), Nicolas Pepe (Ivory Coast), Mohamed Elneny (Egypt - currently on loan at Besiktas)

Aston Villa - Marvelous Nakamba (Zimbabwe), Trezeguet (Egypt), Jonathan Kodjia (Ivory Coast), Ahmed Elmohamady (Egypt)

Brighton - Leon Balogun (Nigeria), Yves Bissouma (Mali), Gaetan Bong (Cameroon), Percy Tau (South Africa - currently on loan at Club Brugge)

Crystal Palace - Jeffrey Schlupp (Ghana), Cheikhou Kouyate (Senegal), Jordan Ayew (Ghana), Wilfried Zaha (Ivory Coast)

Everton - Alex Iwobi (Nigeria), Jean-Philippe Gbamin (Ivory Coast), Oumar Niasse (Senegal), Yannick Bolasie (DR Congo - currently on loan at Sporting Lisbon)

Leicester City - Kelechi Ịheanachọ (Nigeria), Wilfred Ndidi (Nigeria), Daniel Amartey (Ghana), Islam Slimani (Algeria - currently on loan at Monaco), Rachid Ghezzal (Algeria - currently on loan at Fiorentina)

Liverpool - Naby Keita (Guinea), Mohamed Salah (Egypt), Sadio Mane (Senegal). Joel Matip (Cameroon) has retired from international football.

Manchester City - Riyad Mahrez (Algeria)

Manchester United - Eric Bailly (Ivory Coast)

Newcastle - Christian Atsu (Ghana), Henri Saivet (Senegal)

Southampton - Moussa Djenepo (Mali), Sofiane Boufal (Morocco), Mario Lemina (Gabon - currently on loan at Galatasaray)

Tottenham - Victor Wanyama (Kenya), Serge Aurier (Ivory Coast)

Watford - Isaac Success (Nigeria), Ismaila Sarr (Senegal)

West Ham - Arthur Masuaku (DR Congo)

Wolves - Romain Saiss (Morocco)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51126649

AFCON 2021: How the tournament's date change will disrupt the Premier League
BBC Audio commentary with Harry Redknapp
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:
There are reasons why it is frequent. Development of the game across the continent and the fact that it is really the main cash cow for the confederation. What I am baffled about is that those who advocate 4 years simply cited other confederations as if the interests are similar. Why not advocate three years or five year breaks and not merely imitate, if there are good reasons for those?
It is inevitable that CAN will become a four year interval competition as long as the best players are based in Europe and it is this big now with 24 teams. CHAN can still be played over 2 year intervals and is the defacto Africa Cup. FIFA can simply pull the plug off the need for Euro clubs to release players for CAN and we will see how good the completion will remain. There is a need for world football calendar and marketing CAN will be boosted and the prestige higher because of less frequency. All the national teams can thus play in qualifiers at group stages. You are advocating a new Pan African Club completion? ... just like Infantino who also wants a four yearly CAN.