VAR Sham: Spurs v Man. City

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
VAR Sham: Spurs v Man. City

Post by Enugu II »

Kai, these decisions by those operating the VAR are simply sham. That first pk saw the ball saved before Aurier stepped on Aguero. Was the call correct? IMO, YES. The second, the GK misses ball entirely and clearly fouls Sterling. VAR says no pk. IMO, the second is also a pk. GK misses ball completely and fouls Sterling.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: VAR Sham: Spurs v Man. City

Post by pajimoh »

Enugu II wrote:Kai, these decisions by those operating the VAR are simply sham. That first pk saw the ball saved before Aurier stepped on Aguero. Was the call correct? IMO, YES. The second, the GK misses ball entirely and clearly fouls Sterling. VAR says no pk. IMO, the second is also a pk. GK misses ball completely and fouls Sterling.
OK :veryangry: how about the Sterling tackle on Dele?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Enugu II wrote:Kai, these decisions by those operating the VAR are simply sham. That first pk saw the ball saved before Aurier stepped on Aguero. Was the call correct? IMO, YES. The second, the GK misses ball entirely and clearly fouls Sterling. VAR says no pk. IMO, the second is also a pk. GK misses ball completely and fouls Sterling.
What about the red card miss that Sterling should have head to early shower?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

I have said this from the get-go that EPL refs are conspiring to discredit VAR's effectiveness.

The system has to be tweaked.

They should borrow a leaf from the NFL that constantly tweaks its Instant Replay with the aim of getting it right.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
I have said this from the get-go that EPL refs are conspiring to discredit VAR's effectiveness.

They should borrow a leaf from the NFL that constantly tweaks its Instant Replay with the aim of getting it right.

I have sometimes thought that VAR implementation in the PL is the revenge of the refs
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...the VAR review of Sterling v Lloris the GK is correct. No pk.
Note, Sterling did touch the ball first but ball was going out of bounds, that even if the goalie never touched him he would not have gotten the ball back.
So no clear goal scoring chance, no pk.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

mcal wrote:...the VAR review of Sterling v Lloris the GK is correct. No pk.
Note, Sterling did touch the ball first but ball was going out of bounds, that even if the goalie never touched him he would not have gotten the ball back.
Does a penalty call hinge on a "goal scoring chance" or simply a foul in the box?
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

bushboy wrote:
Does a penalty call hinge on a "goal scoring chance" or simply a foul in the box?
He's watching too much NFL football!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

I have sometimes thought that VAR implementation in the PL is the revenge of the refs
There's some truth to your suspicion.

It is rather obvious if you ask me. :?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Is that all you saw?

Zinchenko on Moura?
Sterling on Alli?
Fernandinho on Ndombele?

And these are from one match. There is enough backlog wahala from previous meetings.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

You are confusing matters here. The analysis you gave here is for considering if a red should be issued or not. In the case of penalty, it does not matter if Raheem was facing the goal or Baltimore,it is a simple was there a contact? If yes, then it is a foul and because it happened in the penalty box a penalty.

That said, for how long will keepers continue to dive at the feet of players knowing their body momentum would also end up fouling a player everytime they fail to make a contact with the ball. I have been seeing this silly attempt by keepers to win the ball from when I was a kid and I am so sick of it now, I have no sympathy for keepers who still dive in for the ball at the feet of players. 9 out of ten when they do it, it results in a penalty.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

As for the VAR in the EPL, it does not matter what tool you use, place it in the hands of compromised incompetent morons, the result would still be the same. All we are seeing with the abuse of the VAR is the confirmation of how bent these officials are, we now know that they deliberately make those atrocious calls we take for mistake before the coming of VAR.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

bushboy wrote:
...nope, dangerous play, high boot, etc...but this is not, as even slo-mo replayed showed Sterling initiated or was looking for that touch.
They did review it at least.
If and only if, Lloris the goalie feigned the dive without an outstretched arms the player will still go down, he has advance the ball so far out and looking for contact.