SE Goalkeepers: Ejide Bids for Recall......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
SE Goalkeepers: Ejide Bids for Recall......

Post by Enugu II »

Austin Ejide: Ready to solve Nigeria's goalkeeping quandary
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51370651
By Oluwashina Okeleji
Football Writer, Nigeria

Goalkeeper Austin Ejide said he is in the best form of his career as he began his bid for a Nigeria recall six years after his last appearance.

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr is facing something of a goalkeeping puzzle ahead of March's 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Sierra Leon.

First-choice Francis Uzoho is out of action for a lengthy period with a knee injury, while South Africa-based Daniel Akpeyi despite being the most experienced keeper playing at the moment has struggled to convince fans he is the natural replacement.

Others in line include Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who many feel lacks composure at the highest level, while youngster Maduka Okoye is relatively inexperienced.

Rohr has always maintained that the door remains open to any Nigerian playing regularly in a top flight and can make a positive contribution.

The 35-year-old, who made his international debut almost two decades ago, has played all 21 matches for Israeli Premier League side Hapoel Hadera this season, but has not played for the Super Eagles since 2014.

"I know the situation in Nigeria. I get positive remarks in Israel and being rated highly could be something that will pave the way," Ejide told BBC Sport.

"I've kept nine clean sheets this season and we all know that goalkeepers always get better with age.

"I've also been following the Eagles and I believe that with my consistent performances in Israel, there is every chance it opens the door to the possibilities of another call-up."

Ejide made his Nigeria debut at just 17 against Namibia in Windhoek in 2001, but the following years saw him play second fiddle to Vincent Enyeama.

Other than a small period in 2008 when then-coach Berti Vogts preferred him and Stephen Keshi gave him some game time, Ejide has never been the first choice for the Super Eagles.

"I can never shut the international door to play for Nigeria again, I believe I have what it takes to get another chance," he insisted.

He also says his age should not be a barrier to a return to international football.

"There are other goalkeepers who never gave up on international football despite their age or being overlooked," he insisted.

"At 46, Essam El-Hadary still played a major tournament for Egypt and I can hopefully follow in that footsteps.

"I keep focusing on club football here, the more I do well, then I will continue to retain that hope of playing for my country again."

Ejide has become a cult hero in Hadera after helping Hapoel Hadera to Israeli top flight promotion in 2018 ending their 39 years in the lower leagues.

He previously played in the country for Hapoel Petah Tikva and Hapoel Be'er Sheva between 2009 and 2015, but that was after a stint at Tunisian side Etoile du Sahel where he suffered two successive Caf Champions League final defeats in 2004 and 2005.

He left the North African country after the Tunisian FA decided not to allow local clubs to sign foreign goalkeepers.

Ejide then spent three years at French club SC Bastia before moving to Israel in 2009. He was part of the Nigeria squad to the Africa Cup of Nations tournaments in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 and when they won in 2013.

As well as the 2013 Confederations Cup, he was also in the squad for the 2002, 2010 and 2014 World Cups.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SE Goalkeepers: Ejide Bids for Recall......

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Why not? If he’s active and performing he should be called. He’s better than Ezenwa and Akpeyi especially with crosses.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Both he and Aiyenugba have been completely shut out inexplicably
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

We have no goalies, if akpeyi was voted best Nigerian goalie in 2019 , then serious wahala dey
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Ighalo should introduce him to his babalawp
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

His performance in the friendly against Scotland shortly before the 2014 world cup left a bitter taste in the mouths of many Nigerians.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Let's bring in Rufai and Ike also.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:Let's bring in Rufai and Ike also.
Are they active at a decent level?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

maceo4 wrote:
How do you know they are not?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
how do you know they are?
SuperEagles

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Lol you suggested them so I asked the most pertinent question, since na you know. I didn’t claim to know, so I’m asking now... :rotf:

At least Ejide and Aiyenugba are active in Israeli first division. While we are calling a boy that’s about to be dropped by his 4th division side...something is not adding up.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

maceo4 wrote:Both he and Aiyenugba have been completely shut out inexplicably
Alapamasu?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

BAP wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Both he and Aiyenugba have been completely shut out inexplicably
Alapamasu?
Is he even active these days? Both Ejide and Aiyenugba are active in the Isreali league...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ejide save for that gaffe in that Scotland friendly game has always been a solid GK for the NT.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Why not? If he’s active and performing he should be called. He’s better than Ezenwa and Akpeyi especially with crosses.
... and that's what I think. Invite him and let him show us what he is up to. If he is better than the other keepers, then good for him
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Look at all of them! The biggest reason we keep going back to eat our vomit is because we refuse to invest properly and plan well. The only time we actually decided to invest properly, we got a fantastic long term kid, Uzoho. Just imagine if we had chosen to invest in 3-6 young kids like Uzoho 4 years ago, we would have a plethora of goalkeepers at our disposal. But instead, the bassstard who calls himself a coach kept inviting old rotten Akpeyi and Ezenwa, while hopeless Nigerians like people on this thread keep calling for 50 year old demon like Enyeama and 40 year old Ejide.

2 years from now, we will look and find that we still do not have enough goalkeepers and people will open their smelly mouth to ask "why!??"

NIGERIANS, YOU ARE THE FOOKING PROBLEM!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Hard for me to forget that Italy friendly but if he’s fit, why not
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Agents full.this board o. All it take is one thread to speaks to them and they will burst out of the closet.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Sebastian Osigwe
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Nigeria should just divide, I mean 200 million people but not good goalie?
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Lol you suggested them so I asked the most pertinent question, since na you know. I didn’t claim to know, so I’m asking now... :rotf:

At least Ejide and Aiyenugba are active in Israeli first division. While we are calling a boy that’s about to be dropped by his 4th division side...something is not adding up.
Your judgement is based on a wrong information. Okoye is not to be droped by Fortuna Düsseldorf. He was on the bench for their first team in yesterdays cup game. The boy is also still very young and has time on his side to break into the first team completly. We should give our young goalkeepers time and ooportunity to develop instead of keep the door closed in favour of rotten apples
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

DAgrin wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Your judgement is based on a wrong information. Okoye is not to be droped by Fortuna Düsseldorf. He was on the bench for their first team in yesterdays cup game. The boy is also still very young and has time on his side to break into the first team completly. We should give our young goalkeepers time and ooportunity to develop instead of keep the door closed in favour of rotten apples
Bros he’s on the bench in 4th division but the ones starting in 1st division are rotten apples? Ok o....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo, my brother ... I agree with everything you are saying however we are in serious trouble as far as the goalkeeping department and that's why we looked pathetic in Egypt... the issue here is that **** is to blame ( left to me Uzoho is currently the best prospect we have , however he is out with a knee injury) iftoday that pathetic **** was actually working, the likes of Ejide or Dele won't be in the news...Akpeyi is 33 years old , so the likes of Ejide who is 35 still has a chance ... either **** is flogged for his incompetence due to the goalkeeping issues , or we continue to have oldies still wanting to man the goal post... gbe body eh! gbe soul eh like zlatan
SuperEagles