is this Racist to Ighalo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: is this Racist to Ighalo

Post by Babalawo »

My Prediction is Ighalo would score a handful of goals for United and they would extend his loan for 1 more year.
Peter Obi For President 2023
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The reaction from Manchester United fans across Africa to the signing of Odion Ighalo has been commendable.
It's only a cretin that's waiting patiently that has been the exception.
I am happy
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

john12 wrote:deanotito wrote:
I don’t understand where the racism is. A perfectly understandable reaction.

if he was an English man, do.you think this criticism will be the same? 1 of them said "josh king" would had been better. frankly, josh king dosent have ighalo CV. Also, I am not the biggest ighalo fan but I will tell you this, this criticism is extremely unwarranted considering united had
1) Signed him on loan
2) Signed multiple superstars i.e demaria, sanchez, pogba, falcao for ridiculous amount and most Flopped. (maybe it's a chance to try something cheaper)
3) The guys seemed more offended at the name "ighalo" than anything else arrogantly saying "this is Manchester"
Put yourself in the shoes of a Man United fan/analyst – arguably the greatest club in the history of English football and potentially top 5 in the history of the continent.

You’ve seen your club flounder about since Fergie’s retirement, and you’re now at the point where stars are beginning to turn down your lucrative offers because they fear you’re a mid-table team.

You’re desperately hoping that Woodward and Solksjaer can work some magic, and the magic they manage to work is Ighalo??? A failed EPL striker?
I have nothing against Ighalo, but his heyday in English football was in the Championship, and after half a season in the EPL, he was found out, especially when defenders figured out that Iggy Chop/Sweep move he borrowed from Kanu. I watched him a lot in the EPL.

I consider the World Cup to be the height of world football, and it is where I primarily rate player quality. I saw Ighalo quickly snuffed out time after time, and while I mostly blame Rohr’s tactics of isolating him for not playing to his strengths, his weaknesses were laid bare to me….
Now, you are a Man United fan expecting magic, and the magic they generate is Ighalo? This is an expectations business. If Man U signed 3 strikers, and Ighalo was one of them, the backlash won’t be so bad…but they needed a savior and the ‘savior’ they found was Ighalo?

Ighalo is not a bad striker…he’s actually pretty decent, but by his antecedents, he ain’t no savior. He may well turn out to be good for them…may go on a hot streak, but this is Man United….Man-flipping-United! Did Ighalo light it up in China? Has he broken Chinese scoring records? This move is a complete head-scratcher.

I’ll say this, if this were Barcelona, it would make more sense…as the quality around him means he doesn’t need to be superhuman to score a bunch of goals. Man U is reeling….they need a savior. Ighalo, by his history/quality, ain’t no savior.

If all may not know, at least John should know that I am no team Nigeria hater. I classify Ndidi and Osimhen as World Class and have done so before it was really fashionable. But I gotta call these things like I see it. If Rohr came out tomorrow and said he was benching Osimhen for Ighalo, most of you would lose your minds. That’s what is going on in Man United now.

Unlike with Sanchez, Pogba etc., they signed people that coming in, had the reputation or promise of greatness. Where’s Ighalo’s reputation of greatness. At 30, where’s his promise?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:

if he was an English man, do.you think this criticism will be the same? 1 of them said "josh king" would had been better. frankly, josh king dosent have ighalo CV. Also, I am not the biggest ighalo fan but I will tell you this, this criticism is extremely unwarranted considering united had
1) Signed him on loan
2) Signed multiple superstars i.e demaria, sanchez, pogba, falcao for ridiculous amount and most Flopped. (maybe it's a chance to try something cheaper)
3) The guys seemed more offended at the name "ighalo" than anything else arrogantly saying "this is Manchester"
Put yourself in the shoes of a Man United fan/analyst – arguably the greatest club in the history of English football and potentially top 5 in the history of the continent.

You’ve seen your club flounder about since Fergie’s retirement, and you’re now at the point where stars are beginning to turn down your lucrative offers because they fear you’re a mid-table team.

You’re desperately hoping that Woodward and Solksjaer can work some magic, and the magic they manage to work is Ighalo??? A failed EPL striker?
I have nothing against Ighalo, but his heyday in English football was in the Championship, and after half a season in the EPL, he was found out, especially when defenders figured out that Iggy Chop/Sweep move he borrowed from Kanu. I watched him a lot in the EPL.

I consider the World Cup to be the height of world football, and it is where I primarily rate player quality. I saw Ighalo quickly snuffed out time after time, and while I mostly blame Rohr’s tactics of isolating him for not playing to his strengths, his weaknesses were laid bare to me….
Now, you are a Man United fan expecting magic, and the magic they generate is Ighalo? This is an expectations business. If Man U signed 3 strikers, and Ighalo was one of them, the backlash won’t be so bad…but they needed a savior and the ‘savior’ they found was Ighalo?

Ighalo is not a bad striker…he’s actually pretty decent, but by his antecedents, he ain’t no savior. He may well turn out to be good for them…may go on a hot streak, but this is Man United….Man-flipping-United! Did Ighalo light it up in China? Has he broken Chinese scoring records? This move is a complete head-scratcher.

I’ll say this, if this were Barcelona, it would make more sense…as the quality around him means he doesn’t need to be superhuman to score a bunch of goals. Man U is reeling….they need a savior. Ighalo, by his history/quality, ain’t no savior.

If all may not know, at least John should know that I am no team Nigeria hater. I classify Ndidi and Osimhen as World Class and have done so before it was really fashionable. But I gotta call these things like I see it. If Rohr came out tomorrow and said he was benching Osimhen for Ighalo, most of you would lose your minds. That’s what is going on in Man United now.

Unlike with Sanchez, Pogba etc., they signed people that coming in, had the reputation or promise of greatness. Where’s Ighalo’s reputation of greatness. At 30, where’s his promise?
But the Pogbas and Sanchez’s haven’t really been that great so maybe it’s time to try a different approach rather than going for overhyped super stars :taunt: I remember Yorke and Cole weren’t really superstars but fit into United’s system better than O.J. and that glove. Ighalo could do the same :taunt: ...or not :rotf: Either way allow him to live out his childhood dreams, I’m sure he’ll at least put in more effort than those other overhyped stars.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

1) Signed him on loan

But the Pogbas and Sanchez’s haven’t really been that great so maybe it’s time to try a different approach rather than going for overhyped super stars :taunt: I remember Yorke and Cole weren’t really superstars but fit into United’s system better than O.J. and that glove. Ighalo could do the same :taunt: ...or not :rotf:
Hey man, to me, Yorke and Cole are still the best strike partnership I have ever seen. They epitomized for me what a partnership should be and never really got the credit they deserved....BUT....

Given that no one knows the future, we have to look at the past and past performance. The fact that some reclamation projects work does not mean a club of Man United’s stature should go all in on reclamation projects. The fact that you can sometimes find gem houses in bad neighborhoods does not mean that that is a worthwhile strategy for your real estate needs. Its essentially just high risk, with a high chance of failure.

Yorke and Cole had more of a basis for hope, with a decent history, a strong manager, and a good team. You’re essentially throwing Ighalo into a situation with none of those factors. That is why United fans wanted magic.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

1) Signed him on loan

But the Pogbas and Sanchez’s haven’t really been that great so maybe it’s time to try a different approach rather than going for overhyped super stars :taunt: I remember Yorke and Cole weren’t really superstars but fit into United’s system better than O.J. and that glove. Ighalo could do the same :taunt: ...or not :rotf:
Hey man, to me, Yorke and Cole are still the best strike partnership I have ever seen. They epitomized for me what a partnership should be and never really got the credit they deserved....BUT....

Given that no one knows the future, we have to look at the past and past performance. The fact that some reclamation projects work does not mean a club of Man United’s stature should go all in on reclamation projects. The fact that you can sometimes find gem houses in bad neighborhoods does not mean that that is a worthwhile strategy for your real estate needs. Its essentially just high risk, with a high chance of failure.

Yorke and Cole had more of a basis for hope, with a decent history, a strong manager, and a good team. You’re essentially throwing Ighalo into a situation with none of those factors. That is why United fans wanted magic.
It’s gonna be very hard to find a savior, you guys need to go back to the drawing board and build a team. And I agree it’s not the most ideal situation for Iggy but hey he gets to live his dreams, doesn’t compromise on pay and if it doesn’t work out goes back to being a cult hero in China. Manure can then look for their savior in the summer :biggrin:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Those pundits are just vomiting idiotic group think. I have no doubt Ighalo will do well at Manure simply b/c if you score goals at a sh*t club like Watford, you will score at a better club. People that know football better than those clowns in the studio, have been tracking Iggy for some time, including Barca and Mourinho at Spurs. Shaka Hislop is a disappointment. I thought he was more intelligent than that. He seemed to be not keen to rock the boat. Good to see Gabby Marcotti trying to knock sense into them.

Iggy hasn't been signed as a marquee player, but as a squad guy to replace/supplement the injured Rashford. Manure are not looking at winning the league, just finishing 4th. 5 goals could be the difference b/w 5th and 4th. If the ball keeps getting into the box, Iggy will score more than 5 in the EPL b/w now and the end of the season.

On talent alone, Iggy is better than jambodi Lukaku that they spent £70m on. Lukaku is just faster and younger. He scored many goals from miscues and balls bouncing off his bum just from being in the box.
http://www.naijiant.com/
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

Don't use the term Racist so loosely. I'm happy for a Igahlo as a Nigerian but if he was recruited by my team Arsenal, I'd be pretty befuddled too. I wish him the best and hope he proves us all wrong.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

obaGol wrote:Don't use the term Racist so loosely. I'm happy for a Igahlo as a Nigerian but if he was recruited by my team Arsenal, I'd be pretty befuddled too. I wish him the best and hope he proves us all wrong.
As if Arseanal could afford him, he wouldn’t be taking no pay cut for y’all :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote:
obaGol wrote:Don't use the term Racist so loosely. I'm happy for a Igahlo as a Nigerian but if he was recruited by my team Arsenal, I'd be pretty befuddled too. I wish him the best and hope he proves us all wrong.
As if Arseanal could afford him, he wouldn’t be taking no pay cut for y’all :rotf:
You dey mind the illiterate...assanal cannot afford Ighalo
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

My take, i hope Ighalo proves everyone wrong including myself! perhaps this signing might fire him up, everything is in the mind, what united lacks is a player in the box, Rashford/ martial are not the type to score dirty goals, that is where Ighalo can feed off scraps, but then again, we do not create too many chances so he will have to take half chances
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...if Odion Ighalo, a Nigerian, had been a one-name Brazilian with equal or less goal total, he would be heralded by all including Nigerians. Such is life.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

deontito I respect your views but these Clowns (pundits) are very condescending, arrogant and disrespectful. first of all, a player scoring 16 EPL goals at a small club can never be classified as "failed striker" because he couldn't replicate similar performance the next season
1) Ighalo wasn't an EPL failure scoring 16 EPL goals in 2015/16 maybe 1 hit wonder will be more appropriate because he has shown that his capable of scoring in England
2) United had previously signed multiple superstars that all Flopped so maybe it's time to try something different
3) Ighalo was the top scorer at ANC and ANCQ so he has shown that he can also score in Africa. mane, mahrez, salah played at afcon
4) if ighalo was an Englishman, Brazilian or Argentine, these CLOWNS wouldn't had been that condescending.

it's high time Nigerians learn how to defend themselves
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

john12 wrote:deontito I respect your views but these Clowns (pundits) are very condescending, arrogant and disrespectful. first of all, a player scoring 16 EPL goals at a small club can never be classified as "failed striker" because he couldn't replicate similar performance the next season
1) Ighalo wasn't an EPL failure scoring 16 EPL goals in 2015/16 maybe 1 hit wonder will be more appropriate because he has shown that his capable of scoring in England
2) United had previously signed multiple superstars that all Flopped so maybe it's time to try something different
3) Ighalo was the top scorer at ANC and ANCQ so he has shown that he can also score in Africa. mane, mahrez, salah played at afcon
4) if ighalo was an Englishman, Brazilian or Argentine, these CLOWNS wouldn't had been that condescending.

it's high time Nigerians learn how to defend themselves
I will not call Ighalo failed! he is a decent striker, his record speaks for itself, yes he has never played for a top side! now he has the opportunity to prove everyone wrong
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

exactly, how can you call him an "Epl failure" when he scored 16 goals in 1 season then failed to replicate similar performance the next season. what if he just went through a striker goal drought at his 2nd season? we need to learn what we say before it becomes Gospel
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I believe fans have every right to question who their club is signing. I don't see how this equates to racism. The same Ighalo that was almost killed on this website is now being defended like our lives depend on him.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

maceo4 wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: Stop hating!
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

oloye wrote:I believe fans have every right to question who their club is signing. I don't see how this equates to racism. The same Ighalo that was almost killed on this website is now being defended like our lives depend on him.
Bros. Can you imagine?! I'm sure if we do a search on Ighalo on this forum and specifically narrow it to the World Cup period, the amount of insults we will read will not even compare. I'm almost certain that john12 was probably the ring leader too with the insults in order to big up his man Rohr. Now all of a sudden, he's the doing Voltron for Ighalo over the place.

john12, get this into your thick skull - just because a white person (or non-Nigerian) criticizes (or does not like) a Nigerian player does not automatically mean racism is involved. For goodness sake, grow up already!

By the way, Josh King is just as black as Ighalo, so... :roll: :roll: :roll:

GOSH!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Is john12 "racist"? :sneaky: :sneaky:

These took all of 5 minutes to find:
john12 wrote:Holding the ball is useless for a striker if they cannot SCORE. We should stop mentioning some moral victory piece of crap like holding the ball
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=289078&p=5259094&hi ... o#p5259094
john12 wrote:I don’t know why coach keep selecting ighalo because Iheanacho and Musa are better CF than ighalo. As for shehu own, I wil just believe that ebuehi is not 100% fit
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=289138&p=5261553&hi ... o#p5261553
john12 wrote:Enough is Fvcking enough. Strikers main responsibility is to score goals not hold the ball. I am sick and tired of this obsession with holding the ball because there’s no reason kelechi should be on the bench for ighalo.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=289178&p=5263966&hi ... o#p5263966
john12 wrote:This is not qualifier but the actual World Cup. I have saying it Spence the past 4 friendlies tat ighalo isn’t good enough to be our main striker. We need a goal scorer upfront
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=289178&p=5264001&hi ... o#p5264001

...And there's more!!

The point is if you can say these things about Ighalo, why is anybody else "racist" (or "agents") for making the same observations? :sneaky: :sneaky:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

all that link was prior to ANC and ANCQ when ighalo had a serious goal drought/world cup miss. it was also more annoying when people suggested that we play him for holding the ball rather than shooting