" I don't know if Nigeria still wants me"- Udokhai

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: " I don't know if Nigeria still wants me"- Udokhai

Post by Damunk »

'Reject' is such an emotive word.

When you are legitimately trying to turn the heads of YOUNG players on an upward trajectory, with a clear potential of getting better and peaking into top performers a few years later then you can hardly refer to them as 'rejects'. In Nigeria they used to call such a policy 'Catch Them Young' (CTY).

In the real sense, who or what is a 'reject'?
- Is it a YOUNG player who was considered potentially good enough for an elite national team (England, Germany, Spain, Belgiun etc) but didn't quite make it, or hasn't made it just yet?
- Is it a player eligible for such a national team but realistically has no chance of ever being considered for a call-up and therefore takes his chances elsewhere?
- Is it a player way past his peak but still eligible to play for two countries who then gets called up by Naija and gratefully accepts the call?

Of the three categories above, which is likely to have the better quality players and give the greatest ROI?

IMHO, 'rejects' in the true sense are players like Sola Amoebi, the classic example.

Meanwhile, players like Danny Shittu, Victor Anichebe, Sone Aluko, d#$% Etuhu, (and even more recently Brian Idowu and Leon Balogun) are all bona fide (ex) SE players that, with all due respect, never at any time or at any level had a chance in hell of playing for their 'other' countries.
So technically they are not 'rejects' but by definition are probably of a lower quality than those now referred to as 'rejects'. Yet we have embraced them with open arms - and rightly so.

Even though the term 'reject' suggests that such players are of very low quality, the evidence itself suggests they are actually the highest quality of dual-eligibility players we have at our disposal. Moreover, in the last few years almost all of those targeted have been young.

So this is all about emotion, not quality.
Like Vancity Eagle quite aptly pointed out, every country does it.
Foolish pride is what is driving this 'reject' debate and we only have ourselves to blame if we fail to harness our resources worldwide to fight for honours on the global stage.

Two famous Nigerian quotes come to mind.
Yakubu Gowon: "Money is not Nigeria's problem. It is how to spend it"
Onyeka Onwenu: 'Nigeria: A Squandering of Riches'

Seems nothing has changed, not even football. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I watched him against Frankfurt a few days ago. He was abysmal. He seemed short of confidence and made lots of errors. But I won't judge him on one game.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

I am a BIG fan of Naijarians born and bred in the diaspora to Naijarian parents seeking to have anything to do with Naijaria.

Playing for Naijaria or for that matter doing anything for that ungrateful shithole no dey easy.

If we can get talent that was nurtured and developed by organizations and countries who value merit I am all for it.

The one thing you know and will expect is that such players are rooted in the fundamentals of the game and will be very professional.

More and more Naijarians are living overseas, having kids, the kids are growing up with an identity crisis.

I want Naijaria to be a credible option for them... in ALL sports.

They are not being dashed the jersey... they are going to earn them.

We are NOT good enough to be choosy...

Track every good player with Naijarian heritage... figure out the ones who can add value and invite them.

Naijarians in all walks of life seek greener pastures overseas. No one should deny their kids the opportunity to represent their father's land whenever they decide to offer themselves up for service.

Funny thing about some of the people on here that are vehemently against the folks who changed their minds about representing the country is that they won't offer their kids up or recommend their kids to represent Naijaria.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Cellular wrote:I am a BIG fan of Naijarians born and bred in the diaspora to Naijarian parents seeking to have anything to do with Naijaria.

Playing for Naijaria or for that matter doing anything for that ungrateful shithole no dey easy.

If we can get talent that was nurtured and developed by organizations and countries who value merit I am all for it.

The one thing you know and will expect is that such players are rooted in the fundamentals of the game and will be very professional.

More and more Naijarians are living overseas, having kids, the kids are growing up with an identity crisis.

Track every good player with Naijarian heritage... figure out the ones who can add value and invite them.

Naijarians in all walks of life seek greener pastures overseas. No one should deny their kids the opportunity to represent their father's land whenever they decide to offer themselves up for service.

Funny thing about some of the people on here that are vehemently against the folks who changed their minds about representing the country is that they won't offer their kids up or recommend their kids to represent Naijaria.
Word up!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Cellular wrote:I am a BIG fan of Naijarians born and bred in the diaspora to Naijarian parents seeking to have anything to do with Naijaria.

:clap: :clap: :clap: chairman one bottle of big stout, and a plate of isi ewu on me when we meet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Tobi17 wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: chairman one bottle of big stout, and a plate of isi ewu on me when we meet
Oga Cell :clap: :clap: . My one fear is that with this option of getting foreign born Nigerians, they may decide to neglect development at home. Our people like taking the easy option. I hope we can do the two together, so we will have a much bigger pool of talents.
I am happy
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

You are also abysmal....ara-oko1 :(
aruako1 wrote:I watched him against Frankfurt a few days ago. He was abysmal. He seemed short of confidence and made lots of errors. But I won't judge him on one game.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Ungrateful shithole? May shopona Faya dat your dirty mout together with udokhai. So we should be grateful he wants to Play for us after he told us years earlier he was German, didn’t feel Nigerian and would wait for Germany to call. It’s your kind of mentality that keeps us in a dark place. With such condescending views one wonders why you’re even here. We have been producing players that are fundamentally skilled in all aspects of the game before Udokhai was born and will continue to do so.

Vic Mo, Iwobi, Ajayi, Aribo , Ebuehi even Bazee all gladly jumped at the chance to play for us without thinking twice but its the useless reject you want us to accept because Germany has no use for him.Ko in da fun o! :boo:
OCCUPY NFF!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

asabatex wrote:You are also abysmal....ara-oko1 :(
aruako1 wrote:I watched him against Frankfurt a few days ago. He was abysmal. He seemed short of confidence and made lots of errors. But I won't judge him on one game.
You are absolutely correct. My wife agrees :D :D :D
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Oga Cell :clap: :clap: . My one fear is that with this option of getting foreign born Nigerians, they may decide to neglect development at home. Our people like taking the easy option. I hope we can do the two together, so we will have a much bigger pool of talents.
Chief Dammy, we have to keep on developing our players and developing all sportsmen and women. The investment required to get us to be World-class is simply just not there. The world is changing.

It is like in athletics. If they have a Naija Athletics Open that is open to all Naijarians regardless of where they are based, you will see that the foreign ones will dominate. They dominate for a reason. It is not necessarily because they are better athletes, it is because they are exposed to better coaching, better nutrition, and better facilities.

Our football is no different.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

Ungrateful shithole? May shopona Faya dat your dirty mout together with udokhai. So we should be grateful he wants to Play for us after he told us years earlier he was German, didn’t feel Nigerian and would wait for Germany to call. It’s your kind of mentality that keeps us in a dark place. With such condescending views one wonders why you’re even here. We have been producing players that are fundamentally skilled in all aspects of the game before Udokhai was born and will continue to do so.

Vic Mo, Iwobi, Ajayi, Aribo , Ebuehi even Bazee all gladly jumped at the chance to play for us without thinking twice but its the useless reject you want us to accept because Germany has no use for him.Ko in da fun o! :boo:
High Priest Emir, I know the truth hurts. First off, agree we are who we are... just based on how we do things. Then we can address how to fix it than being bugged down on what adjective or noun to use to describe us.

Now, to the matter at hand. Don't know if you have children... and having tasted the lovely and very functional Naijaria and since you have decided to relocate back to Yankee after trying the lovely Naijaria and realizing that you no get the ballz or the mental strength to deal or survive the place. So, you along with me will give a lot of credit to the guys who are making it there despite the challenges.

The dynamics of Naijaria as we know it are changing rapidly and we have to change with it than stubbornly clinging to misplaced pride and ego about what the challenges are.

Naijarians are all over the place and are excelling. They are having kids and facing challenges getting them to want to make Naijaria an option. We need the BEST Naijarians wherever they are. Dang, we even need folks who want to become Naijarians.

WE HAVE TO RECRUIT THESE OUR KIDS.

Weda you like am or no like am... good companies and even great countries recruit talent. They go searching for folks who will add value...

Funny thing is that the players you listed of "foreign training" were all recruited. The age doing of yanga for players don pass...

One of the things I will give Pinnick a lot of credit for is that he is making the Super Eagles brand attractive to professional footballers of Naijarian descent.

As to how do we fix the local football and the talent, we should start with a proper identification system. I want a situation where an exceptional young talent is actually young... with room for professional development. Same thing that happens in football rich Brazil, Argentina, France etc. Where they have thriving leagues but still have their best players play for their National teams... all of whom play overseas.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Cellular wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

High Priest Emir, I know the truth hurts. First off, agree we are who we are... just based on how we do things. Then we can address how to fix it than being bugged down on what adjective or noun to use to describe us.

Now, to the matter at hand. Don't know if you have children... and having tasted the lovely and very functional Naijaria and since you have decided to relocate back to Yankee after trying the lovely Naijaria and realizing that you no get the ballz or the mental strength to deal or survive the place. So, you along with me will give a lot of credit to the guys who are making it there despite the challenges.

The dynamics of Naijaria as we know it are changing rapidly and we have to change with it than stubbornly clinging to misplaced pride and ego about what the challenges are.

Naijarians are all over the place and are excelling. They are having kids and facing challenges getting them to want to make Naijaria an option. We need the BEST Naijarians wherever they are. Dang, we even need folks who want to become Naijarians.

WE HAVE TO RECRUIT THESE OUR KIDS.

Weda you like am or no like am... good companies and even great countries recruit talent. They go searching for folks who will add value...

Funny thing is that the players you listed of "foreign training" were all recruited. The age doing of yanga for players don pass...

One of the things I will give Pinnick a lot of credit for is that he is making the Super Eagles brand attractive to professional footballers of Naijarian descent.

As to how do we fix the local football and the talent, we should start with a proper identification system. I want a situation where an exceptional young talent is actually young... with room for professional development. Same thing that happens in football rich Brazil, Argentina, France etc. Where they have thriving leagues but still have their best players play for their National teams... all of whom play overseas.
Oga Sir! I generally agree with the sentiment but the opposing view has some merit. The focus on foreign based talent may affect investment in home based talent. Again there is the concern that some (not all) foreign based talent may not be as committed to the cause - Victor Moses, Joel Matip and Kevin Prince Boateng all left their national teams as their prime.

Having said that, I totally agree that the foreign born players are relevant. I like the ones who are currently playing for the Eagles - very passionate for the cause.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

KPOM!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Tobi17 wrote:

And you know this because?? You dey awa head? And even if what you say is true, you misunderstand what WE are saying. If we really wouldn’t offer our kids to represent Nigeria, we should be made to suffer real consequences of that decision. That’s the only way others that come behind will think twice about it.

National Team football gets a bad rap. When you get to play for a legit top 30 team like Nigeria, it can often help your career. We shouldn’t be giving such opportunities away to just anybody ...especially these types that thought us not good enough for them
Last edited by deanotito on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Yiba wrote:I spoke to Udoukhai about Nigeria last year. At the time, he was not ready. But things have changed. He lost his starting position in Wolfsburg and faced prospects of becoming irrelevant in German football. Until Augsburg came calling. He is highly talented and gifted as CB and uses both feet.

I understand his "concerns" about playing for Nigeria. Time will tell if he has changed his mind. If Augsburg survives the Bundesliga and Schmidt is not sacked, then he could be bought by Augsburg. Right now, he starts regularly but still rusty due to staying on the sidelines for quite a while.

Na Munich bobo and one of our own!

Just look at this Nonsese. Here comes Nigeria like Superman yo save him from obscurity
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

aruako1 wrote: Oga Sir! I generally agree with the sentiment but the opposing view has some merit. The focus on foreign based talent may affect investment in home based talent. Again there is the concern that some (not all) foreign based talent may not be as committed to the cause - Victor Moses, Joel Matip and Kevin Prince Boateng all left their national teams as their prime.

Having said that, I totally agree that the foreign born players are relevant. I like the ones who are currently playing for the Eagles - very passionate for the cause.
Oga, Naijaria is still the ideal place to identify talent. But the development of talent can't be effectively done in Naijaria.

In all walks of life, folks go overseas to develop themselves because that is where the best facilities and coaching are.

NFF focus should be on development of kids football... get them the platform to be discovered and taken overseas where they can blossom.
Start with a proper identification process.
Leverage on the relationships Naijarians in the diaspora have with various sporting institutions so they can repatriate knowledge and best practices.

We just have to stop lying to ourselves when it comes to youth talent in Naijaria... are the NFF and national teams playing real young talented players? Do the NPFL have a platform for youngsters to showcase their abilities?

Bro, just like in the export business, if you can't document your produce or product, no matter how good or cheap it is, it will be difficult for you to sell it in the international market.

If the FB players are taking up the space of the local born and trained players, why aren't the local guys setting the continent on fire if they are that good?

Why aren't teams in desperate need of talent not coming to Naijarian to poach for talent?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Cellular wrote:
aruako1 wrote: Oga Sir! I generally agree with the sentiment but the opposing view has some merit. The focus on foreign based talent may affect investment in home based talent. Again there is the concern that some (not all) foreign based talent may not be as committed to the cause - Victor Moses, Joel Matip and Kevin Prince Boateng all left their national teams as their prime.

Oga, Naijaria is still the ideal place to identify talent. But the development of talent can't be effectively done in Naijaria.

In all walks of life, folks go overseas to develop themselves because that is where the best facilities and coaching are.

NFF focus should be on development of kids football... get them the platform to be discovered and taken overseas where they can blossom.
Leverage on the relationships Naijarians in the diaspora have with various sporting institutions so they can repatriate knowledge and best practices.

We just have to stop lying to ourselves when it comes to youth talent in Naijaria... are the NFF and national teams playing real young talented players? Do the NPFL have a platform for youngsters to showcase their abilities?

Bro, just like in the export business, if you can't document your produce or product, no matter how good or cheap it is, it will be difficult for you to sell it in the international market.

If the FB players are taking up the space of the local born and trained players, why aren't the local guys setting the continent on fire if they are that good?

Why aren't teams in desperate need of talent not coming to Naijarian to poach for talent?
You have said nothing that I disagree with. Yet you did not address my point about the issue of the effect of the recruitment of the foreign born boys on talent development in Nigeria, and commitment issues even after wearing the shirt.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

aruako1 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

You have said nothing that I disagree with. Yet you did not address my point about the issue of the effect of the recruitment of the foreign born boys on talent development in Nigeria, and commitment issues even after wearing the shirt.
It won't affect talent development as we are not currently equipped to develop talent. Why reinvent the wheel? Unlike athletics (track and field) where the results are measured quantitatively, football, on the other hand, has several metrics used in measuring ability. The key thing is to establish a credible platform for the local-born players to showcase their talent. They just can't get the required training, nutrition and environment to compete favourably with their international compatriots. Again, NFF will do footballers a world of gratitude if they can establish a robust identification system to tackle age-related fraud.

As for commitment issues, what commitment issues? Is it the commitment to be maltreated and mistreated? And taking it because they are supposed to take it?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Cellular wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

It won't affect talent development as we are not currently equipped to develop talent. Why reinvent the wheel? Unlike athletics (track and field) where the results are measured quantitatively, football, on the other hand, has several metrics used in measuring ability. The key thing is to establish a credible platform for the local-born players to showcase their talent. They just can't get the required training, nutrition and environment to compete favourably with their international compatriots. Again, NFF will do footballers a world of gratitude if they can establish a robust identification system to tackle age-related fraud.

As for commitment issues, what commitment issues? Is it the commitment to be maltreated and mistreated? And taking it because they are supposed to take it?
I gave you examples of early retirements by foreign born/raised players
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

aruako1 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

I really don't give a darn about the players from other countries as their circumstances are different.

VicMo retired because he needed to concentrate on his club career. Even that retirement didn't do him any favors with the new coach at his team because the coach who liked his skill set was no longer there.

Footballers, dag, athletes are very temperamental people. So them having little or no tolerance for some of the shenanigans we put them through is expected.

Again, nobody is being given an automatic shirt. They have to earn it.

If I am applying for a job and it says, some foreign experience required, it behoves me to get the foreign experience.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

How does the early retirement of foreign born players negatively affect development of home based players?
aruako1 wrote:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Watching Udokhai vs Leverkusen. Playing in left CD. Tasked with an almost man marking job on Kai Havertz, long rumored to be of interest to Liverpool...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp