NEXT SE INVITATIONS: Rohr May Drop Onuachu + Etebo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
NEXT SE INVITATIONS: Rohr May Drop Onuachu + Etebo

Post by Enugu II »

2021 AFCON Qualifiers: Rohr may drop Onuachu, Etebo
Published February 11, 2020
Iheanacho to return after nine months
Johnny Edward
https://punchng.com/2021-afcon-qualifie ... chu-etebo/

Ahead of next month’s 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Sierra Leone, Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr may drop Europe-based duo Paul Onuachu and Oghenekaro Etebo from his squad for the double-header, Sports Extra reports.

Nigeria currently leads Group L with six points from two games after recording wins against Benin Republic and Lesotho and will be aiming to secure early qualification for the 2021 AFCON by recording back-to-back wins over the Leone Stars.

The trio faces stiff competition to keep their places in the team due to their below-par performance at club level recently.

Etebo, who secured a loan move to Spanish club, Getafe, during the January transfer window, has made only two appearances since joining from Stoke City and has missed out on his club’s last two games against Atletic Bilbao and Valencia. It remains to be seen if he will be available for the clash against Barcelona at Camp Nou on Saturday.

Onuachu, who has scored seven goals in 18 league games for Genk, has fired blanks in his last three games, and last featured for Genk in their 1-0 win over Sporting Charleroi on February 2nd.

He has also failed to score for the Eagles in his last six games for the national team.

According to a top Nigerian Football Federation official, the former Midtjylland striker doesn’t fit into the new-look Eagles.

Also, centre-back Leon Balogun’s chances of returning to the team remains a doubt as he is yet to get his club career off the mark after joining English Championship club, Wigan, from Brighton Hove Albion.

Balogun was left out of the Eagles’ opening two games against Benin Republic and Lesotho after he dropped in the pecking order.

William Troost-Ekong, Semi Ajayi, Kenneth Omeruo and Chidozie Awaziem are ahead of the 31-year-old defender.

Meanwhile, Sports Extra reliably scooped that Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho is poised to return to the Eagles nine months after he was dropped from the 2019 AFCON squad.

Iheanacho has been the Eagles’ most prolific player this season in Europe scoring eight goals in 14 games across all competitions for Leicester City.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NEXT SE INVITATIONS: Rohr May Drop Onuachu + Etebo

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The names mentioned are obviously not playing regularly and most football fans are aware of this and of cause Kelechi has found his form once again so no research was needed to state the obvious!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We want Onuachu, he adds a different floor to the team with his aerial ability. Perfect back up to Osimhen
OCCUPY NFF!!
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Bored Journalist.

Someone has a 7/18 record for Genk and is still not good enough for the Eagles? Ok o! He last played 9 days ago and this Journalist wants to make it sound like it was 9 months Ago.

Anyway didn't expect less from a Nigerian that goes by the name Johnny Edwards...must be a creekite.
Peter Obi For President 2023
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Babalawo wrote:Bored Journalist.

Someone has a 7/18 record for Genk and is still not good enough for the Eagles? Ok o! He last played 9 days ago and this Journalist wants to make it sound like it was 9 months Ago.

Anyway didn't expect less from a Nigerian that goes by the name Johnny Edwards...must be a creekite.
Onuachu offers nothing to the NT, just never rated the lad...too clumsy for my liking.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:We want Onuachu, he adds a different floor to the team with his aerial ability. Perfect back up to Osimhen
What arial ability? :rotf: Tall for nothing, barely scores headers...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Kai, I go die-oo! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Etebo not being called won't be a surprise. He hasn't played much the last 2 or 3 months. Onuachu has been decent for Genk. However Simy and Umar Sadiq have been more consistent if Rohr is looking for other tall strikers that can hold up the ball.

My 4 would or the next game be Osmihen, Simy, Iheanacho, and Maja (even though he's cooled off).
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

olu wrote:Etebo not being called won't be a surprise. He hasn't played much the last 2 or 3 months. Onuachu has been decent for Genk. However Simy and Umar Sadiq have been more consistent if Rohr is looking for other tall strikers that can hold up the ball.

My 4 would or the next game be Osmihen, Simy, Iheanacho, and Maja (even though he's cooled off).
Simy Nwankwo and Umar definitely deserve to be called up and Onuachu dropped for good, both players will offer far more quality.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Dessers nko?
I am happy
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Dammy wrote:Dessers nko?
How and what is he doing?Are there no shining youngsters in Nigeria that don’t belong to a private academy?If the scouts can find at least one home based player a year before they go aboard I’ll know they are good at their good (in spotting talent) but if they are just reading CE comments for names of guys that play in Europe why don’t they just let you do it?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

On form too, deserves a look in as well.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
How and what is he doing?Are there no shining youngsters in Nigeria that don’t belong to a private academy?If the scouts can find at least one home based player a year before they go aboard I’ll know they are good at their good (in spotting talent) but if they are just reading CE comments for names of guys that play in Europe why don’t they just let you do it?
been on the top goal scoring chart in his club is what he's doing.
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

What does "creekite" mean? I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means...
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

obaGol wrote:

What does "creekite" mean? I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means...
Hint: 1Naija is a Creekite.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
I think you need to think practically and not sentimentally.
We are talking about the full SUPER EAGLES here, not Abraka Bombers or Kpomo United.

With all the foreign scouts swarming all over Nigeria and 'kidnapping' them to foreign clubs, which one of those youngsters at that stage is Super-Eagles ready?
Even Osimhen, Chukwueze and Moses Simon took time to develop into SE material. You speak as if 'going abroad' gives them an automatic SE call-up. Local 'stars' like Chikatara, Ifeanyi, Nwobodo etc have all gone abroad and are struggling to make the grade, not to mention proven young stars like the Nwakali brothers, Chidera Ezeh, Musa Yahaya, Dele Alampasu and Musa Mohammed. The list is endless.

We need to get real and recognise that the modern game is not waiting for anybody. If you like, come to the World Cup or AFCON with your 'quota system' of local and foreign-based players, nobody send you. Na your palava be dat. National teams are for players ALREADY PROVING THEMSELVES at a certain level i.e. better than, or at par with what is already available. Simple.

In positions of weakness, of course you might find the 'shining youngsters' you refer to being called up as long term prospects. But everything get levels.

The only reason we have kids like Maduka and Uzoho in the picture is because we have a goalkeeping crisis. Enyeama retired, Ikheme unfortunately fell ill, Afekholai , Ajiboye and Thomas have been unconvincing, leaving us with the much maligned Akpeyi and Ezenwa.

Our local clubs should be producing quality players for national attention, whether young or old. If they are not doing that, then what is there for the national team to scout?
You can't eat from an empty pot or from a pot of soup wey don sour. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
I think you need to think practically and not sentimentally.
We are talking about the full SUPER EAGLES here, not Abraka Bombers or Kpomo United.

With all the foreign scouts swarming all over Nigeria and 'kidnapping' them to foreign clubs, which one of those youngsters at that stage is Super-Eagles ready?
Even Osimhen, Chukwueze and Moses Simon took time to develop into SE material. You speak as if 'going abroad' gives them an automatic SE call-up. Local 'stars' like Chikatara, Ifeanyi, Nwobodo etc have all gone abroad and are struggling to make the grade, not to mention proven young stars like the Nwakali brothers, Chidera Ezeh, Musa Yahaya, Dele Alampasu and Musa Mohammed. The list is endless.

We need to get real and recognise that the modern game is not waiting for anybody. If you like, come to the World Cup or AFCON with your 'quota system' of local and foreign-based players, nobody send you. Na your palava be dat. National teams are for players ALREADY PROVING THEMSELVES at a certain level i.e. better than, or at par with what is already available. Simple.

In positions of weakness, of course you might find the 'shining youngsters' you refer to being called up as long term prospects. But everything get levels.

The only reason we have kids like Maduka and Uzoho in the picture is because we have a goalkeeping crisis. Enyeama retired, Ikheme unfortunately fell ill, Afekholai , Ajiboye and Thomas have been unconvincing, leaving us with the much maligned Akpeyi and Ezenwa.

Our local clubs should be producing quality players for national attention, whether young or old. If they are not doing that, then what is there for the national team to scout?
You can't eat from an empty pot or from a pot of soup wey don sour. :idea:
it's critically thinking and not practically thinking ...my goodness
SuperEagles

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Speaking of Onuachu...
He just hung a few minutes ago as Genk lead Antwerp 1-0 in the first half.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Gotti wrote:

Speaking of Onuachu...

The Boy is Super Eagles Material!

I don’t understand the hate he has on CE, the boy is a NBS (Natural Born Striker) & deserves to be in the SE.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Babalawo wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Speaking of Onuachu...

The Boy is Super Eagles Material!

I don’t understand the hate he has on CE, the boy is a NBS (Natural Born Striker) & deserves to be in the SE.

Hmmm, shouldn't natural born strikers score for the national team once in a while? I think we better start begging Ighalo to come back, cause none on our strikers apart from him has proven himself in the national team. Until proven otherwise, our 3 strikers are:

Ighalo
Iheanacho
Osimhen.

The rest are jara.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

onuachi no be am
SuperEagles