"Nigeria is too boring to watch"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

emjay
Egg
Egg
"Nigeria is too boring to watch"

Post by emjay »

Former Super Eagles coach and Atlanta 96 gold medalist, Jo Bonfrere has Criticized Under fire Current Super Eagles coach Gernot, Rohr of being too Defensive Minded.

“Under the coach (Rohr), the Eagles have not done well,” Bonfrere told Sports Extra.

“There haven’t been any good team tactics or team play despite having in their ranks exciting players. The way Nigeria have played lately is with much defensive tactics and ...KEEP READING HERE
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: "Nigeria is too boring to watch"

Post by jette1 »

I agree; revisited Nigeria vs Argentina friendly . yes we scored 4 goals but we gave away possessions and played like a bunch of schools kids at recess
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:I agree; revisited Nigeria vs Argentina friendly . yes we scored 4 goals but we gave away possessions and played like a bunch of schools kids at recess
If na that one, nothing compares to the school kid error resulting in the 2nd and winning goal for Argentina by Cannigia in our 1994 WC clash. Nothing.

Meanwhile, who was the assistant SE coach? :rotf:

Somebody should have been flogged. :idea:

Having said that, we were voted the "most entertaining team" if that is any consolation. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...he must have heard rumors they wanna fire SE coach hence he got on the news to make himself available. He knows it's easy to trick the tricksters :biggrin:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote:...he must have heard rumors they wanna fire SE coach hence he got on the news to make himself available. He knows it's easy to trick the tricksters :biggrin:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
And he knows there are many haters....
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

This guy needs to shut his trap!

Was he not the coach when we lost the ANC final in Lagos to Cameroon, having conceded 2 goals in the first half (Mboma and Etoo)? Was he also not the coach when he chose to sack two of his assistants, namely Stephen Keshi and Shuaibu Amodu, from the team? Didn't one of them go ahead and win the Nations cup on foreign soil? (Something he failed woefully in doing?). This man's teams were NOTORIOUS for conceding goals and leaked like a sieve. We were lucky we had decent strikers, at the time, who could score goals.

Criticize Rohr as you may (and I admit, I am one of his critics) but one good thing he has done (and is doing) is instilling much needed discipline in our defense. This has enhanced our ability to play counter-attacking football with deadly accuracy. That was something Bonfrere's teams sorely lacked, with some players embarking on endless dribbling excursions without purpose or end product. We now play more disciplined and a lot quicker football, with individuals spending less time on the ball. And with the flock of new entrants into the squad, it is only bound to get better!

Johannes Bonfrere should go and sit down, please!
Damunk wrote:
jette1 wrote:I agree; revisited Nigeria vs Argentina friendly . yes we scored 4 goals but we gave away possessions and played like a bunch of schools kids at recess
If na that one, nothing compares to the school kid error resulting in the 2nd and winning goal for Argentina by Cannigia in our 1994 WC clash. Nothing.

Having said that, we were voted the "most entertaining team" if that is any consolation. :D
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Boring is okay if you have results.
I will leave @ that...dont wanna upset our good doctor.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Otitokoro wrote:This guy needs to shut his trap!

Was he not the coach when we lost the ANC final in Lagos to Cameroon, having conceded 2 goals in the first half (Mboma and Etoo)? Was he also not the coach when he chose to sack two of his assistants, namely Stephen Keshi and Shuaibu Amodu, from the team? Didn't one of them go ahead and win the Nations cup on foreign soil? (Something he failed woefully in doing?). This man's teams were NOTORIOUS for conceding goals and leaked like a sieve. We were lucky we had decent strikers, at the time, who could score goals.

Criticize Rohr as you may (and I admit, I am one of his critics) but one good thing he has done (and is doing) is instilling much needed discipline in our defense. This has enhanced our ability to play counter-attacking football with deadly accuracy. That was something Bonfrere's teams sorely lacked, with some players embarking on endless dribbling excursions without purpose or end product. We now play more disciplined and a lot quicker football, with individuals spending less time on the ball. And with the flock of new entrants into the squad, it is only bound to get better!

Damunk wrote:

Ahem Bros when did he sack keshi and Amodu ?

At least under bonfere Jo we beat Star studded Argentinean and Brazilian teams with guys like Rivaldo and Ronaldo while playing them Mano Mano not that boring defensive inferiority complex stuff that Rohr plays whenever we play big teams .

As for the Camerounian team and the ANC 2000 loss .. lest you forget that was a very solid Camerounian team full of all stars who went on to win the Olympics that same year as well as repeat at the ANC in 2002 .The pedigree of their players was comparable if not better than ours . In essence they were not scrubs .. at least Bonferere dint lose to the likes of Madagascar at the ANC
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro,

That is not even what irks me with Bonfrere. Of course, despite his well advanced age, he perhaps still dreams for opportunity to coach Nigeria again. But what irks me is how he almost eliminated Nigeria from getting to the WC 2002. He claimed that no local player was good enough to play for SE and yet his SE team (full of foreign -based players) was losing to Liberia and Sierra Leone. The Sierra Leone loss was the back breaker. He was fired and Shuaibu Amodu stepped in. Amodu immediately took three local-based players and inserted them into the team and finished the qualifiers with consecutive victories home and away to take Nigeria to the WC. That is now history.

Damunk wrote:
If na that one, nothing compares to the school kid error resulting in the 2nd and winning goal for Argentina by Cannigia in our 1994 WC clash. Nothing

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Jo has done way more for Nigeria than **** can ever dream of...he is way more ahead of that prehistoric ****
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

Damunk wrote:
mcal wrote:...he must have heard rumors they wanna fire SE coach hence he got on the news to make himself available. He knows it's easy to trick the tricksters :biggrin:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
And he knows there are many haters....

... And also knows that many gullible Nigerians will fall for it
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

BAP wrote:

Damunk wrote:

Ahem Bros when did he sack keshi and Amodu ?

At least under bonfere Jo we beat Star studded Argentinean and Brazilian teams with guys like Rivaldo and Ronaldo while playing them Mano Mano not that boring defensive inferiority complex stuff that Rohr plays whenever we play big teams .

As for the Camerounian team and the ANC 2000 loss .. lest you forget that was a very solid Camerounian team full of all stars who went on to win the Olympics that same year as well as repeat at the ANC in 2002 .The pedigree of their players was comparable if not better than ours . In essence they were not scrubs .. at least Bonferere dint lose to the likes of Madagascar at the ANC
Did they even beat us ? Are we talking about ball that clearly crossed the line; our mugu players should have vehemently protest. Yea there wasn’t var but tv camera and reply was in use
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Criticize Rohr as you may (and I admit, I am one of his critics) but one good thing he has done (and is doing) is instilling much needed discipline in our defense. This has enhanced our ability to play counter-attacking football with deadly accuracy. That was something Bonfrere's teams sorely lacked, with some players embarking on endless dribbling excursions without purpose or end product. We now play more disciplined and a lot quicker football,
with individuals spending less time on the ball. And with the flock of new entrants into the squad, it is only bound to get better!

Damunk wrote:

With all the talk of his instilling defensive discipline -- at the last ANC we scored 9 goals and conceded 7..
Guinea 1-0
Burundi 1-0
Madagascar 0-2
South Africa 2-1
Cameroun 3-2
Algeria - 1-2
Tunisia 1-0

Doesnt sound that disciplined my friend and really has to be some sort of goals agaisnt us record at an ANC :veryangry:

Fact is 3 of our opponents put in 2 goals against us so it Doesnt sound like we were that disciplined and as for the counter attacking with deadly accuracy claim .. I can only laugh given that we won all of our winning games by a single goal and againt both Cameroun and South Africa we won by the skin of our teeth on the basis of last minute goals.

The reason why our counter attacking prowess isn't what it should be is because Rohr HAD a thing for the very slow immobile Ighalo . So perhaps you see something I dont see but reports of Rohr's tactical prowess are greatly exaggerated . He doesnt seem to even grasp the basics IE if you play counterattacking football you need EXTREMELY fast players :mrgreen:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

BAP wrote:

Criticize Rohr as you may (and I admit, I am one of his critics) but one good thing he has done (and is doing) is instilling much needed discipline in our defense. This has enhanced our ability to play counter-attacking football with deadly accuracy. That was something Bonfrere's teams sorely lacked, with some players embarking on endless dribbling excursions without purpose or end product. We now play more disciplined and a lot quicker football,
with individuals spending less time on the ball. And with the flock of new entrants into the squad, it is only bound to get better!

Damunk wrote:

With all the talk of his instilling defensive discipline -- at the last ANC we scored 9 goals and conceded 7..
Guinea 1-0
Burundi 1-0
Madagascar 0-2
South Africa 2-1
Cameroun 3-2
Algeria - 1-2
Tunisia 1-0

Doesnt sound that disciplined my friend and really has to be some sort of goals agaisnt us record at an ANC :veryangry:

Fact is 3 of our opponents put in 2 goals against us so it Doesnt sound like we were that disciplined and as for the counter attacking with deadly accuracy claim .. I can only laugh given that we won all of our winning games by a single goal and againt both Cameroun and South Africa we won by the skin of our teeth on the basis of last minute goals.

The reason why our counter attacking prowess isn't what it should be is because Rohr HAD a thing for the very slow immobile Ighalo . So perhaps you see something I dont see but reports of Rohr's tactical prowess are greatly exaggerated . He doesnt seem to even grasp the basics IE if you play counterattacking football you need EXTREMELY fast players :mrgreen:
Agreed we need extremely fast players - which we now seem to have in abundance throughout the team but which we didn't quite have enough of at the last AFCON.
Your team is only as fast as your slowest player and at the last AFCON we had key players like Ighalo, Onuachu, with Mikel, Ogu and Etebo behind them and none of these players are known for their speed.

Those were the options we had becos the speedsters like Musa and Moses were misfiring, Kalu was ill, Chukwueze was and still is on his learning curve and Osimhen was almost but not quite ready (in the coach's opinion).

I think the difference was clear vs Ukraine and Brazil even if the latter starved us of possession.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I agree with most of what you say here except on the issue of counterattacking play. The Westerhoff/Bonfrere team of 93/94 and the Bonfrere Olympic team of '96 were notorious for their ferocious counterattacking play.
One commentator I remember saying they descended on you from nowhere "like a swarm of bees". I don't believe we've ever had that particular quality since, though we might be on the verge at the moment.

Their vulnerability as you say was the indisciplined (i.e."naive") defence. I'll look for some of the SE goals from that era and post if I can find them....
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Damunk wrote:

I agree with most of what you say here except on the issue of counterattacking play. The Westerhoff/Bonfrere team of 93/94 and the Bonfrere Olympic team of '96 were notorious for their ferocious counterattacking play.
One commentator I remember saying they descended on you from nowhere "like a swarm of bees". I don't believe we've ever had that particular quality since, though we might be on the verge at the moment.

Their vulnerability as you say was the indisciplined (i.e."naive") defence. I'll look for some of the SE goals from that era and post if I can find them....
I am not sure what ANC Otitokoro watched . Bonferes 2000 ANC team score 12 goals and conceded 5 ..as compared to Rohr's 2019 9-7

Suffice to say that I fail to see the defensive discipline or the deadly accuracy or the endless dribbling excusions he speaks of :mrgreen:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Oga BAP,

But you will have to agree with the general consensus that Rohr inspite of his tepid football philosophy has brought some much needed organization, stability and harmony as well as injecting some fresh new talents into the team. At least Rohr recognizes the importance of youth, and has built the core of the team around a very exciting nuclues of young and enterprising players. When last in recent years since Rohr's tenure have we ever had to look up a roster of players he called up and complain about several or more undeserving junks? (of course besides the usual suspects like Onuachu whom Rohr seems to have weeded out for poor form)... typically the reactions to his call ups were satisfactory on average. When last did we hear of in-fighting among and between players and coaching staff? we now see a very encouraging trend where our players are best of friends off the pitch, and do things like brothers (usual stuff you will expect from young bloods)... And not the prima donna "Big man" nonsense we've been used to seeing under previous coaches. I'm not a fan of Rohr as I believe his brand of football is too pragmatic and over-cautious even for the immense quality of attacking talents he has, infact nobody in recent times has been more vocal in the "Rohr out" brigade more than me. But sometimes the bigger picture though often overlooked, is often the better picture... we need first things first stability in these team, and by all evidence we seem to be enjoying that so far... the better football will surely come... lets be patient and let Rohr continue his project... otherwise we just might regret it and have a not so pleasant nostalgic hindsight to rant about.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Tobi17 wrote:Oga BAP,

But you will have to agree with the general consensus that Rohr inspite of his tepid football philosophy has brought some much needed organization, stability and harmony as well as injecting some fresh new talents into the team. At least Rohr recognizes the importance of youth, and has built the core of the team around a very exciting nuclues of young and enterprising players. When last in recent years since Rohr's tenure have we ever had to look up a roster of players he called up and complain about several or more undeserving junks? (of course besides the usual suspects like Onuachu whom Rohr seems to have weeded out for poor form)... typically the reactions to his call ups were satisfactory on average. When last did we hear of in-fighting among and between players and coaching staff? we now see a very encouraging trend where our players are best of friends off the pitch, and do things like brothers (usual stuff you will expect from young bloods)... And not the prima donna "Big man" nonsense we've been used to seeing under previous coaches. I'm not a fan of Rohr as I believe his brand of football is too pragmatic and over-cautious even for the immense quality of attacking talents he has, infact nobody in recent times has been more vocal in the "Rohr out" brigade more than me. But sometimes the bigger picture though often overlooked, is often the better picture... we need first things first stability in these team, and by all evidence we seem to be enjoying that so far... the better football will surely come... lets be patient and let Rohr continue his project... otherwise we just might regret it and have a not so pleasant nostalgic hindsight to rant about.
I respectfully beg to differ . I think after missing 3 out of 4 ANC's in the last decade our psyche changed as fans so many of us lowered our standards . I mean can you imagine Nigerians citing his 3rd place as a major achievement when with previous coaches third place was a fireable offence ?

As far as his bringing organizational stability. I believe the difference isn't so much Rohr but the NFF whom have been unusually suppotrtive and better organized and have given him a reltively free hand .

The days of demanding X number of home based players are behind us and the guy is essentially based in Europe . How many other coaches were given that much liberty ?

I mean even after a first round exit at the WC in a very winnable game they immediately started talking about renewing his contract . Which other coach has had that much support ?

As far as tactical discipline goes , its a matter of record that Amodu's 2002 squad didnt concede a goal until the semifinal when they lost to Senegal thanks to a last minute PK miss by Oruma. Yet many on this very forum called for his head . I mean it was pandemonium . Sufffice to say Rohr isnt doing anything we havent seen before with coaches working under much harder conditions.