Foreign or local Super eagles Managers?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

emjay
Egg
Egg
Foreign or local Super eagles Managers?

Post by emjay »

I stumbled upon an article online which was comparing Foreign And Local Super eagles coaches Over the years. So i thought of throwing it out here. Which has contributed immensely to the Super Eagles? Local or Foreign Coaches.

See Article here
Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: Foreign or local Super eagles Managers?

Post by Bell »

WITH AN OCCASIONAL EXCEPTION...

...Nigeria should always use a coach that is Nigerian by birth or naturalization. It is shameful, and a sign of how Nigeria fails to address critical needs, that after so many years of playing soccer, Nigeria cannot rely on its own. Detractors would come up with all kinds reasons why a foreign coach is better but you can tell that such people lack national self-confidence and can only breathe when they see a foreigner patrolling the sidelines for Nigeria.

I've not done any deep analysis of the performances of local versus foreign coaches, but I'd go out on a limb to say the foreigners haven't put up better results, despite advantages built in for the foreigners by the FA, including higher remunerations. If there are issues with Nigerian coaches, and there are, a responsible FA, like any business, would look for ways to overcome them thru training, rules and procedures. Instead the Nigerian FA takes the easy route of going for a foreigner. Look at the most successful soccer countries - Brazil, Germany, the Netherlands, Argentina, France, Italy, (even) England - they almost always use theirs.

What is more, some of these foreign coaches have treated their African employers with contempt. The German who was hired by Togo to replace Keshi, after Keshi miraculously qualified them for Germany 06, unceremoniously dumped them before the tournament ended. Other foreign coaches have made a beeline to their countries after leading an African country to disgrace.

There is no better time to give Nigerian coaches an opportunity than now because Nigeria will not be favored to win the WC anytime soon so this period can be used for learning before they become a real threat to win it. Keep in mind that Nigerian coaches keep their experiences in Nigeria; foreign coaches take theirs away.

I've the establishment of a coaching institute to be affiliated with a local university and potentially to serve Nigeria's region if not the continent. This institute would be for coaches not just in soccer but in all sports. Please, don't tell me there's an institute already: their results (or lack of) proves that they are not worthy of their designation.
Bell