Amunike won 7 titles at Barca

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Amunike won 7 titles at Barca

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.vice.com/es/article/537wmq/ ... -olimpicos

7 titles with Barca...if not for Injures, bobo would have been top notch
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Amunike won 7 titles at Barca

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

With due deference to the great Finidi George, Amunike is undoubtedly the most skilled, effective and potent wide player we've had,ever. Dude was a terror. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:With due deference to the great Finidi George, Amunike is undoubtedly the most skilled, effective and potent wide player we've had,ever. Dude was a terror. :thumb:

Why must it be one or the other? Why can't both of them be great? :mad: :mad: :???:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Both great wingers, however, I'll go with Finidi cause of his longevity for club and country. Finidi was a key player during his time at Ajax and Betis and played longer for the SE than Amunike, largely due to Amunike's injury. Finidi played a key role in 3 ANC squads and 2 world cups, while Amunike only played one game in the 94 ANC and played in one world cup.

Amunike was largely a bit part player at Barcelona and didn't play seem to play with the same confidence at Barcelona that he played with the SE. The few times I saw him play at Barcelona he seemed tentative and cautious.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

olu wrote:Both great wingers, however, I'll go with Finidi cause of his longevity for club and country. Finidi was a key player during his time at Ajax and Betis and played longer for the SE than Amunike, largely due to Amunike's injury. Finidi played a key role in 3 ANC squads and 2 world cups, while Amunike only played one game in the 94 ANC and played in one world cup.

Amunike was largely a bit part player at Barcelona and didn't play seem to play with the same confidence at Barcelona that he played with the SE. The few times I saw him play at Barcelona he seemed tentative and cautious.
I love Amuneke and have the greatest respect for him. Career cruelly cut short by injury.
Finidi had the benefit of playing out a full career and at one time was rated the best right winger in the world, even ahead of the great Luis Figo.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

olu wrote:Both great wingers, however, I'll go with Finidi cause of his longevity for club and country. Finidi was a key player during his time at Ajax and Betis and played longer for the SE than Amunike, largely due to Amunike's injury. Finidi played a key role in 3 ANC squads and 2 world cups, while Amunike only played one game in the 94 ANC and played in one world cup.

I can't understand the comparison in the firts place, when both players didn't play the same position.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

With Amuneke arrival, he had to battle with Bulgarian legend Hirsto Stoichkov for a place on the pitch, due the era of enforcement of 3 non EU players and both player were left footed. despite Stoichkov being on the decline, he ganged up with the Spanish players, he spoke spanish to deal with Emma and potray him in a bad limelight..
afc##
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Amuneke arrived at Barca a bit late.. He was at his peak at Lisbon.. Sad Finidi did not play for any of Europe's big club outside Ajax. I wonder why he choose Betis over Bayern or even Man United?
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Purity wrote:Sad Finidi did not play for any of Europe's big club outside Ajax. I wonder why he choose Betis over Bayern or even Man United?
Probably money.

Then he chose Ipswich...
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I would not compare two I am just grateful we had two world class wingers. Injury cut short Amuneke ‘s career but truly was a world class player: Scored the winner in finals against Zambia in 94 finals, scored against Italy in the second round of the World Cup and scored in Olympic finals in 96 against Argentina. Just imagine if he had remained fit a lot of Teams would have heard WEN
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I honestly don't think Amunike was that good. He was decent but I didn't consider him extraordinarily fast, skillful or technical. He couldn't even cross properly. One thing he did have was a better eye for goal than most wingers, but his heyday was 1994, and that was about it.

Watched him in Portugal, at Barca (where in fairness to him, he was injured...a lot)and for Nigeria, and he just never leaped off the screen. For Barca, in the games that he did play, he seemed out of place to me. He had this kick and beat style, where he'd push the ball past a defender and try to outpace them to it...it was moderately effective, but in a silky team like that, it just seemed a class below.

Naah, Finidi was better.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Amuneke was deadly.. There is a reason why he won the CAF AFCON player and Finidi has not.. He won the CAF awards while playing for Zamalek in 1994 after helping Zamalek lift the CAF Champ league and Nigeria AFCON in 1994.

Good agents help players grow. Kanu and Finidi were lucky to have top class agents.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

COVID-19 anxiety and Old Age has seriously dulled some memories here...smh
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Never really rated Amunike during his playing days, to be honest.
looking back...I say he was pretty good.
Findi didnt have Amunike's skills, but he made up for it much more with cerebral play.
Finidi was miles ahead of his time. I remember watching him with Ajax, i was amazed with how dedicated he was to defending.
Finidi was no Figo, but he was effective. He would have waked straight into the Dutch National team lineup.
Last edited by ANC on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Purity wrote:Amuneke arrived at Barca a bit late.. He was at his peak at Lisbon.. Sad Finidi did not play for any of Europe's big club outside Ajax. I wonder why he choose Betis over Bayern or even Man United?
Beckham and I don't know if Bayern played with an actual right winger back then.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

deanotito wrote:I honestly don't think Amunike was that good. He was decent but I didn't consider him extraordinarily fast, skillful or technical. He couldn't even cross properly. One thing he did have was a better eye for goal than most wingers, but his heyday was 1994, and that was about it.

Watched him in Portugal, at Barca (where in fairness to him, he was injured...a lot)and for Nigeria, and he just never leaped off the screen. For Barca, in the games that he did play, he seemed out of place to me. He had this kick and beat style, where he'd push the ball past a defender and try to outpace them to it...it was moderately effective, but in a silky team like that, it just seemed a class below.

Naah, Finidi was better.
You sabi bolu. :thumbs:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:COVID-19 anxiety and Old Age has seriously dulled some memories here...smh
Don't mind them.

Some of them are actually too young & did not watch these guys live.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Lolly wrote:
deanotito wrote:I honestly don't think Amunike was that good. He was decent but I didn't consider him extraordinarily fast, skillful or technical. He couldn't even cross properly. One thing he did have was a better eye for goal than most wingers, but his heyday was 1994, and that was about it.

Naah, Finidi was better.
Which ball do both of you know?

I'll give it to you that Finidi was better. Finidi in his prime was the best right winger in the world. He could use both feet well, packed a shot in both feet (could surprise a keeper from outside the box), but was smooth as a gazelle on the wings. Those crosses were exquisite, & he also knew when to cut in. I am lucky I saw him many times live, starting from what I believe was his debut when we 'suffered' Burkina Suffer (Faso) 6-1 or 7-1 in Lagos. Fans in the stadium started shouting 'E don do, E don do'.

Amuneke's best years were actually in Zamalek, & maybe Berger before then. He was already ready & deserving from about 1991, but Westerhorf did not invite him. Dude was explosive from the left, although quite temperamental. His coming out party to the Nation was the 1991 All African games. Dude was dominating that tournament. We beat Egypt at home in Cairo, Inflicted maximum pain on Uganda & Kabalega running up the score like mad.

In the Semis, we were dominating Cameroon (hit the bar a couple of times), but Amunike let the Plantanians get to him & had his Kaita moment & got sent off. We played with 10 men & the Plantanians got their solitary useless goal. That was when their juju was still working on us. That team was solid & Amunike was the star. They would have made a splash at the Olympics the next year, but I'm not sure if we were under a ban or something.

Anyway, everyone was shouting that Westerhorf should invite Amunike, but the guy no gree. Westerhorf was silly like that in the early days. He was building his team & had his guys & resisted bringing new guys (Chidi Nwanu once claimed Keshi told Westerhorf who to invite). Invite Amuike, no way. I think Westerhorf made reference to his temperament. Same way that Westerhorf kept better options off the team. He stuck with Alloy Agu when everyone was calling for Rufai (to be fair, Rufai abandoned football for some years and went back to University). He did not invite Jayjay for over a year, even though he was already with Frankfurt in Germany. (the likes of Godwin Dudu Orumen & the Mastersports crew would abuse Westerhorf like mad). Chidi Nwanu was also not in the team.

To be fair to Westerhorf, he integrated these guys in, either in the latter stages of the qualifiers (Jayjay debuted against Algeria in Lagos), or in the World Cup proper (Nwanu). Amunike made it to both the Nations Cup and the World Cup.

Some very explosive players peak when they are young (18 - 25), & sometimes never make it back to their peak level after a major injury. That was the case with Amunike. (Similarly, that was the case with the much maligned Gbenga Okunowo).

I used to watch the local league in the 80's & 90's. There was a bit of a renaissance in the early 90's with clubs like Berger & Stores.

Abdulahi Bebe got a couple of very young players for Stores and they made it all the way to the Semi Finals (I think) of the CAF Champions league. Ibrahim Babanginda (TJ's brother), Arthur Moses & Co. Ike Shorunmu was the only known old guy on the team. Those guys could actually really play & they were young. It was like watching Ajax locally. Amunike & Zamalek came & put an end to all our hopes. Amunike with very business like explosion & domination in key moments.

A few years later, Shuaibu Amodu got Shooting with other young stars (Gbenga Okunowo & Co; I think Shorunmu was there too, but I'm not sure) to the finals of the CAF Champions league & again Zamalek won (on penalties).

It was like we were never going to win that trophy, but thank God for Enyimba, Orji Uzor Kalu, Felix Anyansi-Agwu, Vincent Enyeama & Co.

Please thank me for the history lesson. Hope our local league will be fun again soon.

In conclusion, Finidi was certainly better. He had a long productive career that was not punctuated by major injury for club(s) and country, and at his prime he was the best winger in the world.

But for you to say Amunike was not that good, in the words of Robbynice, 'Your head no dey .........'.

As for Lolly, let's just hope there is no secret BMO agenda behind his position.
Last edited by truetalk on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

If not for injuries Ammunike would have won a WPOY award. He was that damn good.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

we had players. Finidi and AMunike were class
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

truetalk wrote:
Lolly wrote:

Naah, Finidi was better.
Which ball do both of you know?

I'll give it to you that Finidi was better. Finidi in his prime was the best right winger in the world. He could use both feet well, packed a shot in both feet (could surprise a keeper from outside the box), but was smooth as a gazelle on the wings. Those crosses were exquisite, & he also knew when to cut in. I am lucky I saw him many times live, starting from what I believe was his debut when we 'suffered' Burkina Suffer (Faso) 6-1 or 7-1 in Lagos. Fans in the stadium started shouting 'E don do, E don do'.

Amuneke's best years were actually in Zamalek, & maybe Berger before then. He was already ready & deserving from about 1991, but Westerhorf did not invite him. Dude was explosive from the left, although quite temperamental. His coming out party to the Nation was the 1991 All African games. Dude was dominating that tournament. We beat Egypt at home in Cairo, Inflicted maximum pain on Uganda & Kabalega running up the score like mad.

In the Semis, we were dominating Cameroon (hit the bar a couple of times), but Amunike let the Plantanians get to him & had his Kaita moment & got sent off. We played with 10 men & the Plantanians got their solitary useless goal. That was when their juju was still working on us. That team was solid & Amunike was the star. They would have made a splash at the Olympics the next year, but I'm not sure if we were under a ban or something.

Anyway, everyone was shouting that Westerhorf should invite Amunike, but the guy no gree. Westerhorf was silly like that in the early days. He was building his team & had his guys & resisted bringing new guys (Chidi Nwanu once claimed Keshi told Westerhorf who to invite). Invite Amuike, no way. I think Westerhorf made reference to his temperament. Same way that Westerhorf kept better options off the team. He stuck with Alloy Agu when everyone was calling for Rufai (to be fair, Rufai abandoned football for some years and went back to University). He did not invite Jayjay for over a year, even though he was already with Frankfurt in Germany. (the likes of Godwin Dudu Orumen & the Mastersports crew would abuse Westerhorf like mad). Chidi Nwanu was also not in the team.

To be fair to Westerhorf, he integrated these guys in, either in the latter stages of the qualifiers (Jayjay debuted against Algeria in Lagos), or in the World Cup proper (Nwanu). Amunike made it to both the Nations Cup and the World Cup.

Some very explosive players peak when they are young (18 - 25), & sometimes never make it back to their peak level after a major injury. That was the case with Amunike. (Similarly, that was the case with the much maligned Gbenga Okunowo).

I used to watch the local league in the 80's & 90's. There was a bit of a renaissance in the early 90's with clubs like Berger & Stores.

Abdulahi Bebe got a couple of very young players for Stores and they made it all the way to the Semi Finals (I think) of the CAF Champions league. Ibrahim Babanginda (TJ's brother), Arthur Moses & Co. Ike Shorunmu was the only known old guy on the team. Those guys could actually really play & they were young. It was like watching Ajax locally. Amunike & Zamalek came & put an end to all our hopes. Amunike with very business like explosion & domination in key moments.

A few years later, Shuaibu Amodu got Shooting with other young stars (Gbenga Okunowo & Co; I think Shorunmu was there too, but I'm not sure) to the finals of the CAF Champions league & again Zamalek won (on penalties).

It was like we were never going to win that trophy, but thank God for Enyimba, Orji Uzor Kalu, Felix Anyansi-Agwu, Vincent Enyeama & Co.

Please thank me for the history lesson. Hope our local league will be fun again soon.

In conclusion, Finidi was certainly better. He had a long productive career that was not punctuated by major injury for club(s) and country, and at his prime he was the best winger in the world.

But for you to say Amunike was not that good, in the words of Robbynice, 'Your head no dey .........'.

As for Lolly, let's just hope there is no secret BMO agenda behind his position.
Plenty story.

I watched Amunike live so many times and others on TV and recorded matches. He was nowhere near world class and is not even in the top 3 wide players for Nigeria. He was good but not at the level of Finidi, Adokiye, Felix Owolabi, Odegbami. His greatest attribute was the crucial goals he contributed.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

bret- hart wrote:If not for injuries Ammunike would have won a WPOY award. He was that damn good.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Lolly wrote:
bret- hart wrote:If not for injuries Ammunike would have won a WPOY award. He was that damn good.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Aside from Finidi all the other players you mentioned cannot clean Ammunike's boots. Did those guys play for Barcelona? Did they win a AFOY award? Old Timers like you keep mentioning Naija players from the 70s and 80s clamming they were World Class yet we could not qualify for World cups until 1994.mchewww.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.