Aribo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Aribo

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:If these guys play well for Nigeria it could spell end of international football for players such as Etebo, Onazi, Shehu and other Mikel. We still need quality in the centre back positions and the goalkeeping area.
Not sure about Etebo completely losing out, but I agree with your predictions on Onazi (virtually out anyway) and Shehu.
I think Etebo brings something different to the team, with a phenomenal work rate.
I don’t dispute Etebo’s work rate however in Nigeria’s midfield he has the tendency to give the ball away in dangerous areas and holds onto the ball for too long allowing the opposition to get back into position. This may be because he is being asked to player deeper and naturally he prefers to play further forward. With the players we have further forward he would not make the team in his natural position and with the quality additions in midfield I think if he doesn’t improve his game he could find himself an ex international
Etebo for me is a bit of an enigma.
Seems he might be one of those 'silent performers' that hardly get noticed except when they make errors.
I say this because when I researched our team's and players' performances during the last AFCON, Etebo had one of the highest pass completion rates, not just for the SE (in which he had the highest) but for the whole tournament! I was shocked tbh.

I will dig up the thread, with comparisons and links.
Yep....the problem is people have favorites and so don't notice when their favorites (Ndidi) make mistakes, like continuously giving the ball away in dangerous areas, fouling unnecessarily in the dangerous areas, give wayward pass after wayward pass, basically winning the ball just to dash it right back to the opponent. But they are busy collecting evidence on the non-favorites to justify why they shouldn't be playing. You can't take anyone seriously if they saw the ANC and say Ndidi is a keeper but Etebo should be out. Every Cameroonian I know after we played them was like who is that number 8 on your team, the guy dey control midfield...And I believe it was the mechanic Esiti that lost the ball for the 2nd goal vs Ukraine and not Etebo...
I don't think its a conscious or deliberate thing.
Unconscious bias more likely.
I'll see if the full Cameroun game is online so I can rewatch it.

Its an interesting point your Camerounian friends make on the game. Of course, they watched the game probably with no preconceptions/biases on the Nigerians, but full of biases regarding their own players.

So maybe they saw what we couldn't see....and vice versa. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Tobi17 wrote:Ndidi actually has a higher number of turnovers than Etebo, Ndidi for all his impeccably good tackling and recovery rates hasn't been particularly tidy in possession and has cost us goals on few occasions (I know Ndidi is our golden boy but make we talk true). Good thing he has massively improved that aspect of his game these season at Leicester. Etebo is definitely a key player for us, he's our new Onazi with a higher ceiling.

with Iwobi, Aribo, Ejaria, Azeez, Etebo and hopefully Eze with a monster like Ndidi sitting back and doing what makes him one of the best CDMs in the world, I daresay we are a team to seriously watch out for especially in that midfield. Qatar 2022 couldn't come at a better time.
Add Kingsley Michael and Igbekeme to the list.
I am happy
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:If these guys play well for Nigeria it could spell end of international football for players such as Etebo, Onazi, Shehu and other Mikel. We still need quality in the centre back positions and the goalkeeping area.
Not sure about Etebo completely losing out, but I agree with your predictions on Onazi (virtually out anyway) and Shehu.
I think Etebo brings something different to the team, with a phenomenal work rate.
I don’t dispute Etebo’s work rate however in Nigeria’s midfield he has the tendency to give the ball away in dangerous areas and holds onto the ball for too long allowing the opposition to get back into position. This may be because he is being asked to player deeper and naturally he prefers to play further forward. With the players we have further forward he would not make the team in his natural position and with the quality additions in midfield I think if he doesn’t improve his game he could find himself an ex international
Seems he might be one of those 'silent performers' that hardly get noticed except when they make errors.
I say this because when I researched our team's and players' performances during the last AFCON, Etebo had one of the highest pass completion rates, not just for the SE (in which he had the highest) but for the whole tournament! I was shocked tbh.

Yep....the problem is people have favorites and so don't notice when their favorites (Ndidi) make mistakes, like continuously giving the ball away in dangerous areas, fouling unnecessarily in the dangerous areas, give wayward pass after wayward pass, basically winning the ball just to dash it right back to the opponent. But they are busy collecting evidence on the non-favorites to justify why they shouldn't be playing. You can't take anyone seriously if they saw the ANC and say Ndidi is a keeper but Etebo should be out. Every Cameroonian I know after we played them was like who is that number 8 on your team, the guy dey control midfield...And I believe it was the mechanic Esiti that lost the ball for the 2nd goal vs Ukraine and not Etebo...

Its an interesting point your Camerounian friends make on the game. Of course, they watched the game probably with no preconceptions/biases on the Nigerians, but full of biases regarding their own players.

I agree with your comments regarding Nididi. I think because he plays in the EPL with his team currently sitting in second place it would be much harder to drop him than a player from the championship who may drop into the 3rd division (Etebo is on loan in Spain). I don't think Nididi is the golden boy but people are holding fire. Another performance like that ANC Semi finals (giving away the freekick that led to winning goal) it will be open season on Nididi.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
Damunk wrote:

You dey mind MaceO? Ndidi stats in the EPL is there for everyone to see.
Only someone who is a choosing expert will dare to compare the two of them. Ndidi will take the jersey from Etebo in any team including Etebo family team...
MaceO does not know the game. This is a guy who has ZERO regards for ball winners and people who do the basic stuff consistently at a high level. He hated on Mikel none stop...
The over-eagerness of Etebo does not make him comparable to Ndidi.

I believe Rohr will get the Midfield components right. He has gotten two right Ndidi+Aribo... he is looking for the third.

My thing is for us to find quality depth so as not to lose anything when we have to sub an often overworked Ndidi...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Flex Swift wrote: I agree with your comments regarding Nididi. I think because he plays in the EPL with his team currently sitting in second place it would be much harder to drop him than a player from the championship who may drop into the 3rd division (Etebo is on loan in Spain). I don't think Nididi is the golden boy but people are holding fire. Another performance like that ANC Semi finals (giving away the freekick that led to winning goal) it will be open season on Nididi.
Ndidi is not on the team because of the league or the club he plays for.
He is there because he is better than the other options.

Football remains a team game and you will find out it is a team game when you play with a player who does not have any idea what his role is and how to play such a role.

You as a fan will be there shouting how much skill he has without understanding that he doesn't know his role and causes more problems for his teammates than the opponent.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote:
Flex Swift wrote: I agree with your comments regarding Nididi. I think because he plays in the EPL with his team currently sitting in second place it would be much harder to drop him than a player from the championship who may drop into the 3rd division (Etebo is on loan in Spain). I don't think Nididi is the golden boy but people are holding fire. Another performance like that ANC Semi finals (giving away the freekick that led to winning goal) it will be open season on Nididi.

Football remains a team game and you will find out it is a team game when you play with a player who does not have any idea what his role is and how to play such a role.

You as a fan will be there shouting how much skill he has without understanding that he doesn't know his role and causes more problems for his teammates than the opponent.
Na laugh person dey laugh to comments like that made by Flex Swift.

Imagine saying our best player , literally the best player on the team, is on the team ahead of a division 3 player because our best player plays for an EPL team.

While Ndidi is being chased by PSG--who already have several top players in that position, but see Ndidi as superior-- Etebo is on loan from a div 3 club. You should write a letter to PSG to reach out to Etebo. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Imagine saying our best player , literally the best player on the team, is on the team ahead of a division 3 player because our best player plays for an EPL team.

While Ndidi is being chased by PSG--who already have several top players in that position, but see Ndidi as superior-- Etebo is on loan from a div 3 club. You should write a letter to PSG to reach out to Etebo. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bros I taya.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

When will it ever dawn on you guys that country is different from club? Who cares who buys Ndidi, in GWG Etebo has been better than him in two tournaments now. Even to the point where you have to lie to make your point, someone playing in La Liga is now a div 3 player...the things you read...

Ikpeba was playing at Monaco, in Champions League, even won APOY based on his Monaco exploits, as far as SE did that suddenly make him better than Amo, Amunike, Goals Father that were playing for lesser teams? Leave the club bias out of it and judge on what they do when they put on GWG...even take Pepe that went to Arseanal for umpteenth million, he was getting benched at the ANC b/c dude was not performing for CIV, regardless of what club paid what for him...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Patrick Mboma was a beast for Cameroon but club football he played for lesser teams Aka Yekini
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Best player??? I think that is debatable...... his performance for club is not the same for country he committs too many fouls and gives the ball away often. He was at fault for giving away the free kick in 93 rd minute which resulted in the winning goal. And even if he is the best player it doesn’t make him immune to constructive criticism.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Flex Swift wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Best player??? I think that is debatable...... his performance for club is not the same for country he committs too many fouls and gives the ball away often. He was at fault for giving away the free kick in 93 rd minute which resulted in the winning goal. And even if he is the best player it doesn’t make him immune to constructive criticism.
Its not even close! By a country mile! No other player in our team or on Adelakun's list is close to the planet of Ndidi.

Maldini, Baresi, Guardiola, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Cafu etc etc have been at fault for goals, which has sunk their team. It is normal.

I agree that he is not immune from constructive criticism. I just wished to make it clear that Etebo cannot clean Ndidi's boots, even if Ndidi permits him to clean it. They are not even on the same planet. Its not even close. While Ndidi is the best DM in the EPL, statistically, and generally accepted to be one of the best DMs in Europe, Etebo .... never mind. You get the picture.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

https://youtu.be/5vjuX4EI87Q

Brasil vs Nigeria Oct 2019
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Patrick Mboma was a beast for Cameroon but club football he played for lesser teams Aka Yekini
He played for Parma when they were a top team.
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Patrick Mboma was a beast for Cameroon but club football he played for lesser teams Aka Yekini
He played for Parma when they were a top team.
True, but Etebo has played for Las Palmas, now Getafe who are at a similar level if not higher to Parma of then...so I don't see why he should be called a division 3 player, its very odd...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

With Ejaria agreeing to represent us, emergence of Aribo, and Eze possible coming down the pike, there is a real possibility of Etebo's role in the SE reducing significantly. Similar to Balogun. That's what happens when a team has depth.

Etebo is still relevant though. Health and form of the players available is also not permanent so that also plays a role. We'll see how Etebo and our other midfielders do next season.

Our midfield is looking really good. We haven't even mentioned younger players like Nwakali or Dele Bashiru who may still turn out to be useful players.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

the good thing IMO is that the SE is getting to a place where not 1 player has a gauranteed starting shirt. That is the sign of a winning team. No player can feel comfortable and slack off (ala Keshi period)

with the addition of Aribo, Ejaria, Dessers we have a powerful squad.

Our wide options are so deep right now, these are players who cannot even make a squad right now

Lookman, Ejuke, Dennis, Onyekuru, Okereke, and even factor in Victor Moses

these guys would all be shoe ins to make a SE squad with at least half of them gauranteed to start in past eras.

who do we consider our superstars ?

Osimehn, Chukwueze, Ndidi

All of these players have to be on their game or they will be replaced..

Oshimehn has Dessers hot on his heels
Chukwueze, any of Kalu, Simon, Ejuke, Dennis on his heels
Ndidi better stop giving ball away or will be replaced by Etebo,

Nobodys position is safe, and that is great.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

olu wrote:With Ejaria agreeing to represent us, emergence of Aribo, and Eze possible coming down the pike, there is a real possibility of Etebo's role in the SE reducing significantly. Similar to Balogun. That's what happens when a team has depth.

Etebo is still relevant though. Health and form of the players available is also not permanent so that also plays a role. We'll see how Etebo and our other midfielders do next season.

Our midfield is looking really good. We haven't even mentioned younger players like Nwakali or Dele Bashiru who may still turn out to be useful players.
While Etebo's role may reduce, I still believe the guy is a lock for the squad. Frankly he is our only real backup to Ndidi in the main DM role. His energy and ability to break up plays is still very necessary. The fact he is very versataile is also a plus and I see Etebo being the new shehu as he can even play RB, LM, AM, CM, DM.

Our midfield is set right now if there are no injuries it is

Iwobi, Aribo, Ndidi, Etebo, Ejaria, Azeez

Azeez is the player who may be dropped for another attacker, or an upcomming midfielder. We also have Ajayi who can play DM, so maybe Azeez position in the team is not needed.

It will be hard for any new midfielders to get a crack in, unless they offer something completely different or are a superstar. If Eze comes in Azeez will certainly lose his spot.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote:When will it ever dawn on you guys that country is different from club? Who cares who buys Ndidi, in GWG Etebo has been better than him in two tournaments now. Even to the point where you have to lie to make your point, someone playing in La Liga is now a div 3 player...the things you read...

Ikpeba was playing at Monaco, in Champions League, even won APOY based on his Monaco exploits, as far as SE did that suddenly make him better than Amo, Amunike, Goals Father that were playing for lesser teams? Leave the club bias out of it and judge on what they do when they put on GWG...even take Pepe that went to Arseanal for umpteenth million, he was getting benched at the ANC b/c dude was not performing for CIV, regardless of what club paid what for him...
Your boy Etebo does not compliment Ndidi well.

Either Etebo plays further up in place of Iwobi or he doesn't start.

Ndidi-Aribo...and we are looking for the third complimentary midfielder. I will like to see what the new guys will be able to bring.

Now, if you were arguing about replacing Iwobi with Etebo, or having Etebo deputize Ndidi then you might have a point.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Etebo cannot clean Iwobi's boots as an AM.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

olu wrote:With Ejaria agreeing to represent us, emergence of Aribo, and Eze possible coming down the pike, there is a real possibility of Etebo's role in the SE reducing significantly. Similar to Balogun. That's what happens when a team has depth.

Kpom, there's Kingsley Michael, who should get his Serie A chance with Bologna next season and Igbekeme who should join La Liga with Real Zaragoza. The midfield options are getting deeper!
This is what excites us genuine SE fans and not some bs being concocted by some haters!
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:When will it ever dawn on you guys that country is different from club? Who cares who buys Ndidi, in GWG Etebo has been better than him in two tournaments now. Even to the point where you have to lie to make your point, someone playing in La Liga is now a div 3 player...the things you read...

Ndidi-Aribo...and we are looking for the third complimentary midfielder. I will like to see what the new guys will be able to bring.

Now, if you were arguing about replacing Iwobi with Etebo, or having Etebo deputize Ndidi then you might have a point.
Gladly you are not the coach, he knew who was irreplaceable in that midfield and played him (almost wore him out) all ANC.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Gladly you are not the coach, he knew who was irreplaceable in that midfield and played him (almost wore him out) all ANC.
Hahaha... I am a better armchair coach than Rohr. At least I can tell when a player is tiring and when momentum is shifting. I don't wait until the horse has bolted from the barn to make a sub that even a ludo or draft player saw...

My invitation to you to learn how to watch a game and what to watch for still stands...

I can explain to you what is expected of every position so you can understand why the person running around and forming busy might be detrimental to team play and what the team is trying to achieve. :D :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...