Obasi: I missed the WC in 2014 b/c of bribery

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chuks69
Egg
Egg
Re: Obasi: I missed the WC in 2014 b/c of bribery

Post by chuks69 »

Obasi could have been selected ahead of Uchebo or Uche Nwafor.. Nwafor scored against scotland or so, was doing good in Holland.. Uchebo showed some flash and gave us the false believe he could paly as a #10 or 8.. so those were the two people obasi lost his Super Eagles spot to.. Every other thing was settled by then.. It was a 50/50 decision.. Obasi was invited to camp prior ro final selection but lost out due to probables..
afc##
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

chuks69 wrote:Obasi could have been selected ahead of Uchebo or Uche Nwafor.. Nwafor scored against scotland or so, was doing good in Holland.. Uchebo showed some flash and gave us the false believe he could paly as a #10 or 8.. so those were the two people obasi lost his Super Eagles spot to.. Every other thing was settled by then.. It was a 50/50 decision.. Obasi was invited to camp prior ro final selection but lost out due to probables..
So Obasi decided to tell lies?
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote:
chuks69 wrote:Obasi could have been selected ahead of Uchebo or Uche Nwafor.. Nwafor scored against scotland or so, was doing good in Holland.. Uchebo showed some flash and gave us the false believe he could paly as a #10 or 8.. so those were the two people obasi lost his Super Eagles spot to.. Every other thing was settled by then.. It was a 50/50 decision.. Obasi was invited to camp prior ro final selection but lost out due to probables..
Obasi is not lying that he was asked to bring money. I doubt it was the Chief Coach. The NFF touts are still there... Agents working with NFF touts are still there demanding quotas be reserved for them.

Obasi was on the fringes and touts saw an opportunity to make money off him. They obviously couldn't ask to be his agent and market him so the next best thing was to ask for money to get an invite.

Anyway, I blame Keshi. If he didn't win the AFCON all these claims and counterclaims would have been nowhere to be had.

I find it extremely disingenuous that you say it was only the WC executed by Local coaches that had the allegations of impropriety. How long have you been following Nigeria football?

EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT, EVEN QUALIFICATIONS HAVE HAD THE SAME ISSUE.

The very unfortunate thing is that in Keshi trying to retain his job compromised his team... allowing the NFF to trade slots like they typically did with ALL the other teams. The practice hasn't stop. It is the cost of doing business. Only guy who didn't stand such nonsense was Sunny Oliseh... he was wise enough to leave them before they killed him.

PS. Did you remember the controversy with the final 1980 Nations Cup squad? How about the 1982 World Cup Qualification? 1986 World Cup qualification? How about our first ever World Cup, 1994? A situation that was the most contentious in our history... overshadowed by how they crashed out. How about 1998? Was it another local guy? How about 2010 or the most recent 2020? Did they not have controversies as well?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Obasi, scorer of four goals in 26 outings for the Super Eagles, has not played for the national team since 2011 after a friendly game against Argentina in Bangladesh, where he scored a goal in their 3-1 loss.
Questionable whether he deserved to go given he hadn't played three years prior to the WC - he wasn't exactly dropped as he wasn't really in contention.

But I have little doubt he was asked to 'drop' if he wanted to be in consideration for a WC place.
He wanted a special spot reserved for him because he was playing in Shalke.

When touts approached him and asked him for money to do the same thing they allegedly did for other fringe players he balked. Telling them do they know who he is...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Cellular wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Obasi is not lying that he was asked to bring money. I doubt it was the Chief Coach. The NFF touts are still there... Agents working with NFF touts are still there demanding quotas be reserved for them.

Obasi was on the fringes and touts saw an opportunity to make money off him. They obviously couldn't ask to be his agent and market him so the next best thing was to ask for money to get an invite.

Anyway, I blame Keshi. If he didn't win the AFCON all these claims and counterclaims would have been nowhere to be had.

I find it extremely disingenuous that you say it was only the WC executed by Local coaches that had the allegations of impropriety. How long have you been following Nigeria football?

The very unfortunate thing is that in Keshi trying to retain his job compromised his team... allowing the NFF to trade slots like they typically did with ALL the other teams. The practice hasn't stop. It is the cost of doing business. Only guy who didn't stand such nonsense was Sunny Oliseh... he was wise enough to leave them before they killed him.

PS. Did you remember the controversy with the final 1980 Nations Cup squad? How about the 1982 World Cup Qualification? 1986 World Cup qualification? How about our first ever World Cup, 1994? A situation that was the most contentious in our history... overshadowed by how they crashed out. How about 1998? Was it another local guy? How about 2010 or the most recent 2020? Did they not have controversies as well?
Please tell me the controversies in squad selection for the other world cups because I'm yet to hear of any player making allegations.
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Please tell me the controversies in squad selection for the other world cups because I'm yet to hear of any player making allegations.
Haba Chief Dammy! Which year?
Let's do 1994. You can ask Oloye to tell you what he knows about allegations by Nduka Ugbade, Isaac Semitoje, Edema Fuludu, and even Victor Ikpeba who later made his way to the team.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

olu wrote:If he's referring to the 2014 world cup, it honestly wouldn't suprise me if the allegation is true. Keshi made about 5 or 6 questionable selections to the 2014 squad. That being said, Obasi struggled with injuries throughout his career, so he may have been dropped due to fitness concerns.
Though there is no proof to say otherwise, but knowing how we operate in our country - in all areas - I am tilting toward believing Obasi. Even in our Secondary schools; sometimes, Prefectship posts are not given based on academic/physical merits or both, rather it's through bribe
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

That 2014 squad reeked of Corruption. The likes of Eguekwe, Ruben, Babatunde, Agbim, Uchebo and Ameobi etc had no business in that team. Uzoenyi gets a pass cos he was the MVP at the CHAN but it was hard justifying his place while the likes of Uche ike, Obasi, Aluko etc were left out. It was a disgrace
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Odas wrote:
olu wrote:If he's referring to the 2014 world cup, it honestly wouldn't suprise me if the allegation is true. Keshi made about 5 or 6 questionable selections to the 2014 squad. That being said, Obasi struggled with injuries throughout his career, so he may have been dropped due to fitness concerns.
Though there is no proof to say otherwise, but knowing how we operate in our country - in all areas - I am tilting toward believing Obasi. Even in our Secondary schools; sometimes, Prefectship posts are not given based on academic/physical merits or both, rather it's through bribe

Wait, wait, wait. I've been out of the game (Nigeria) for a while. Are you saying people bribe to be selected as secondary school prefects now??????
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Cellular wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Haba Chief Dammy! Which year?
Let's do 1994. You can ask Oloye to tell you what he knows about allegations by Nduka Ugbade, Isaac Semitoje, Edema Fuludu, and even Victor Ikpeba who later made his way to the team.
Please go into details because I'm not aware that any of these players accused Westerhoff of collecting money. I know Ugbade was chasing a record of playing in all FIFA competitions from U17 to the WC and was unhappy to be denied.
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: I don't know but let's assume he recommended Rohr for the job after Paul Le Guen turned us down publicly, does that stop him from becoming a scout for Rohr, just like Agali.
Like someone once said, ´never believe anything, until it has been officially denied´. :D
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote:When I told you all back then Keshi is the most corrupt coach SE have ever had since I was a fan (1994) I was viciously attacked. I also told you that despite winning 2013 ANC, SE would suffer in the long term because of his criminal actions. We then missed 2 ANCS in a row because of his corruption. This is a man who embarrassed us at the Co federation cup by taking Gambo Rambo, who gave some joker our #10 Jersey. He even had to be dragged to take Odemwingie to Brazil.

Now those days are long gone and we have stability and merit based selection and we have saboteurs waiting with daggers to destroy the wonderful foundation Rohr is building so we can go back to brown envelope SE.

God forbid.
You are against players reaping, where they have not sown.
If any of these players do not help us to qualify for Qatar 2022, I do not want any of them to suddenly switch nationality and take the place of a player who was already a part of the setup. There is no player out there that is that good that can come in and just chop what others have earned.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=300270&start=46
Using your logic, Obasi was not part of the set-up, yet you believe the accusation because Keshi name was mentioned.

Secondly, it´s Pinnick fault, SE failed to qualify for two Afcons in a row, not Keshi!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

The problem with you guys is that you don't know how major/gobal competitions are handled by our associations.
Picking players for a world cup squad is usually spilt in %s by our football Bosses, the Coach gets to select his best 16 players and the remaining slots are SOLD by the football adminstrators.
If the Coach dares them, the officials will get their crooked journalists partners involved and that's when stories about the Coach overlooking better players starts flooding the print and electronic media.
So EVERY coach(apart from Westerhof) bows to this criminal organisation that runs our football, you have zero chance against them.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

zee wrote:The problem with you guys is that you don't know how major/gobal competitions are handled by our associations.
Picking players for a world cup squad is usually spilt in %s by our football Bosses, the Coach gets to select his best 16 players and the remaining slots are SOLD by the football adminstrators.
If the Coach dares them, the officials will get their crooked journalists partners involved and that's when stories about the Coach overlooking better players starts flooding the print and electronic media.
So EVERY coach(apart from Westerhof) bows to this criminal organisation that runs our football, you have zero chance against them.
You are almost right. This is how it works. We usually had/have about 6/7 players that are untouchable. For e.g. in 2014, Enyeama, Mikel, Moses, etc. The rest of the squad is then filled with "junks" that agents paid for. Each influential person from coach to NFF officials has their quota of "junks". All done under the guise of "fighting for shirt", "throwing the camp open", "giving local players a chance", "no player should hold the nation to ransom", etc.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

cic old boy wrote:
zee wrote:The problem with you guys is that you don't know how major/gobal competitions are handled by our associations.
You are almost right. This is how it works. We usually had/have about 6/7 players that are untouchable. For e.g. in 2014, Enyeama, Mikel, Moses, etc. The rest of the squad is then filled with "junks" that agents paid for. Each influential person from coach to NFF officials has their quota of "junks". All done under the guise of "fighting for shirt", "throwing the camp open", "giving local players a chance", "no player should hold the nation to ransom", etc.
So do we jettison what we have now and go back to business as usual?
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:When I told you all back then Keshi is the most corrupt coach SE have ever had since I was a fan (1994) I was viciously attacked. I also told you that despite winning 2013 ANC, SE would suffer in the long term because of his criminal actions. We then missed 2 ANCS in a row because of his corruption. This is a man who embarrassed us at the Co federation cup by taking Gambo Rambo, who gave some joker our #10 Jersey. He even had to be dragged to take Odemwingie to Brazil.

Now those days are long gone and we have stability and merit based selection and we have saboteurs waiting with daggers to destroy the wonderful foundation Rohr is building so we can go back to brown envelope SE.

God forbid.
You are against players reaping, where they have not sown.
If any of these players do not help us to qualify for Qatar 2022, I do not want any of them to suddenly switch nationality and take the place of a player who was already a part of the setup. There is no player out there that is that good that can come in and just chop what others have earned.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=300270&start=46
Using your logic, Obasi was not part of the set-up, yet you believe the accusation because Keshi name was mentioned.

Secondly, it´s Pinnick fault, SE failed to qualify for two Afcons in a row, not Keshi!
Stop trying to be clever with words, you know that he was making reference to dual nationality players who would want to switch after we secure WC qualification, not Obasi who has paid his dues from U17 level to SE.
I am happy
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Dammy wrote:
1naija wrote:I like Obasi as a player and strongly believe he would have had a long professional and international career but for his injuries. While someone may have demanded bribe from him to make the WC list, he would have had a hard time making that particular WC squad on merit given that he was nowhere near the form he had prior to his injury, at the time of the selection. Making that squad would have been more confirmation of bribery than his not making it.
Obasi was in good form leading to the 2014 WC with Schalke. He played the entire 2nd half of the German league helping his club to 2nd position. The only players with higher profile than him in that squad were the Chelsea duo of Milel and Victor Moses.

I dont recall anyone asking why Obasi was not selected for that WC. He may have be back playing again during that period, he wasnt in such great form as I recall. Either that or nobody here knew he has in such great form. I am not doubting that someone asked him for money to be included in the squad. But saying he was not selected because he did not pay bribe is a stretch. Someone asking him for bribe and not being selected because he did not pay bribe are two different things.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: Stop trying to be clever with words, you know that he was making reference to dual nationality players who would want to switch after we secure WC qualification, not Obasi who has paid his dues from U17 level to SE.
Nduka Ugbade paid his dues as well, he was dropped.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

If we are to honest, that world cup '14 selection was somewhat dodgy... I'm sure majority of us here were scratching our heads (make una talk true!) some players NEVER deserved to be on that plane to Brazil... But it is what it is sha.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Lol. I just laugh at all of you trying to defend the indefensible.

We r not deliberating Obasi’s worthiness in that squad....the bone of contention is what Obasi and Ideye brought to light. Lol.

Keep worshipping the late great Skippo all u want. What he sanctioned and did at the helm of our national team was pathetic. Glossed over by 13 ANC glory.

Now Rohr is no saint....I saw some things in St Petersburg that still makes me scratch my head to this day (Rohr or his brother’s involvement in Idowu to Locomotiv Moscow).....but I know he’s very fair wrt player selection for games.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:If Keshi had employed the agent, who allegedly helped him get the SE coach, has his chief scout and pays him from salary as SE coach.

Conflict of interest (Was this declared)? If not, well that´s....

Bribery

Corruption

As Chris Rock said: It´s all right, because it´s all.....
Your point is nor clear Fabio.
Maybe a typo?
I will try and create a clearer picture...

Adelakun is alleged to has helped Rohr secure the SE job.

Rohr employs Adelakun has the SE chief scout.

Rohr pays Adelakun from the SE salary, from the job, which Adelakun alleged him secure.

Although, a CE source says: Adelakun only recommends, Rohr has the final say.

I hope it´s all clear, now.

How is the scenario above a COI?
In each case, assuming everything you allege is true, he’s working FOR Rohr.

What exactly is the conflict?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp