Minister places Okawaraji’s mother on monthly salary

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Next
Egg
Egg
Minister places Okawaraji’s mother on monthly salary

Post by Next »

Sends cash, food items to late midfielders’ family:
https://guardian.ng/sport/minister-plac ... ly-salary/
Barely one week after lifting the mother of the late Super Eagles striker, Rashidi Yekini, with cash and other material gifts, Sports Minister, Sunday Dare has extended the gesture to the family of late national team star, Samuel Okwaraji.

Samuel Okwaraji died in 1989 while playing for Nigeria in a 1990 World Cup qualifier against Angola in Lagos.

Since then, apart from former Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, no other government official has seen the need to check on the welfare of the family the former midfielder left behind while playing for the country.

At the weekend, Dare, who was represented by Mr. Bamidele Ajayi, visited late Okwaraji’s mother, Madam Janet Okwaraji at her home in Abakpa Nike, Enugu, where he donated cash gift of N50, 000 and food items to the family.

The other items included rice, semovita and beverages.

The Minister explained that the gesture was to help Madam Okwaraji in her old age as a mark of honour for the contribution of the former Dinamo Zagreb forward to Nigerian football.

“I have always been drawn to greatness and I admire people who live their lives to elevate the status of their community and nation.

“Okwaraji was not just a footballer, he was an icon and great patriot. He was a great professional, who redefined football in Nigeria with many young talents benefiting from his ingenuity and sacrifices by re-writing our country’s name in gold in world football.”

Responding on behalf of the family, the eldest son of the Okwarajis, Mr. Patrick Okwaraji regretted that their mother was slightly indisposed hence she could not receive the Minister’s representative.

He expressed the family’s appreciation for the kind gesture, adding, “Sam died almost 30 years ago and everybody would appreciate if they feel he is worthy to be remembered and appreciated for the little contributions he made even when he died in his prime.

“I thank the minister for deeming it worthy to do this. It is very encouraging that this is the first and only minister to support the family. We are indeed very grateful. I honestly don’t know what to say other than to say the family appreciates this show of commitment to us, which is long overdue.”
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Minister places Okawaraji’s mother on monthly salary

Post by mcal »

:???: :sad: :sad:
lukemana
Egg
Egg

Post by lukemana »

I applaud the gesture...sincerely. But 50k? isn't that too small? Just my opinion oooo. is that what she will be getting on a monthly basis?
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

While we should be grateful for every little thing, this something that should be institutionalized instead of depenfing on the goodwill of individual, that may or may not happen.

That said I'm not sure what the country did for the Okwaraji's but a good institution would have established some sort of benefit that will look after the old lady
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

I believe there was a promise to take care of her when he died. So they dropped the ball then?
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

lukemana wrote:I applaud the gesture...sincerely. But 50k? isn't that too small? Just my opinion oooo. is that what she will be getting on a monthly basis?
Well, the amount might be seen as small, but how many ministers in the past has done this? If Madam Okwaraji is to receive such every month (though the article didn't say), then an improvement has been made which is worthy of commendation
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

pajimoh wrote:While we should be grateful for every little thing, this something that should be institutionalized instead of depenfing on the goodwill of individual, that may or may not happen.

That said I'm not sure what the country did for the Okwaraji's but a good institution would have established some sort of benefit that will look after the old lady
Let's be careful with what you suggested, Sir. Granted Okwaraji died while serving the country, what has the country done for all our military personnel who died while serving Nigeria? Thus, as you can see, the nation's good gesture shouldn't be focused ONLY on Okwaraji
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

There's gotta be some kinda insurance that pays your beneficiaries if you die on national duty.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

All we hear is our players negotiating predominantly for match bonuses, appearance fees and camp allowance!

Wetin happpen when dem wound
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Odas wrote:
lukemana wrote:I applaud the gesture...sincerely. But 50k? isn't that too small? Just my opinion oooo. is that what she will be getting on a monthly basis?
Well, the amount might be seen as small, but how many ministers in the past has done this? If Madam Okwaraji is to receive such every month (though the article didn't say), then an improvement has been made which is worthy of commendation
...not questioning this meager gesture, but how long has the minister been in office?
Did he just realized a player died on the field for Nigeria, and left behind family members?

Nigeria is totally lacking innovation to help served people, from the military to retirees, etc.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Cmoke wrote:All we hear is our players negotiating predominantly for match bonuses, appearance fees and camp allowance!

Wetin happpen when dem wound
...should be a lesson to them to start saving for rainy days.
Especially when injured during national assignment.
They know some clubs don't foot bills, unless you are super star for them or as the Americans call it 'a designated player'.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Odas wrote:
pajimoh wrote:While we should be grateful for every little thing, this something that should be institutionalized instead of depenfing on the goodwill of individual, that may or may not happen.

Let's be careful with what you suggested, Sir. Granted Okwaraji died while serving the country, what has the country done for all our military personnel who died while serving Nigeria? Thus, as you can see, the nation's good gesture shouldn't be focused ONLY on Okwaraji
I never said it should, but we are talking about Okwaraji's mother.
A country is as strong as its institution. If it's not done for the military, I doubt it would be done for footballers etc
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Odas wrote:

The simplest solution I can think of is insurance policy for them, both footy players and soldiers. It'll even help boost the insurance sector and by extension the economy.

Wrt the players, part of the premium can/should come from their allowances and bonuses. How many of them will agree to that proposal if guaranteed that the money won't be stolen by officials?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯