NFF Preparing YOBO To Coach Eagles in the Future -- Pinnick

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
NFF Preparing YOBO To Coach Eagles in the Future -- Pinnick

Post by Enugu II »

NFF preparing ‘born leader’ Yobo as Super Eagles' future coach – Pinnick
Gbenga Adewoye
https://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/nff-pre ... k7c73p0rjo
Last updated 2 days ago
11:47 5/11/20

The governing body boss has explained why the 39-year-old was brought into the coaching set-up
President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Amaju Pinnick has stated the body is preparing Joseph Yobo as a future Super Eagles manager.
The federation appointed the former Everton centre-back as second assistant to Gernot Rohr in February, replacing Imama Amapakabo.
Pinnick believes the 39-year-old will add value to the Super Eagles and hopes he will follow the footsteps of former international Stephen Keshi, who guided the side to their third Africa Cup of Nations title in 2013.

“When Yobo was captain of the Super Eagles before he retired, I saw inborn leadership character in him. His charisma and the way he carried other players in the team was exceptional,” Pinnick said, as per the Guardian.
“Yobo is a born leader. This is why the federation decided to appoint him as one of the assistants in the Super Eagles team.
“We are looking up to Yobo to manage the Super Eagles in future and being part of the team’s technical crew will give him that opportunity to coach the Super Eagles in the nearest future.
“The late Stephen Keshi was also an exceptional leader when he was the captain of the Super Eagles. He later grew in the coaching job to handle the Super Eagles. Yobo needs to be encouraged.
“This is not the first time a Nigerian retired player would be given this type of opportunity. Yobo’s presence in the Eagles will help the team.”
Yobo’s career with the national team spanned more than a decade before his retirement in 2014, having made his debut in 2001 against Zambia.
The defender broke into the limelight at the 2002 World Cup, setting up Julius Aghahowa for Nigeria’s only goal in the tournament.
He also featured at the 2010 and 2014 World Cups and captained the Super Eagles to continental glory in South Africa.
At the time of his appointment, the former Fenerbahce defender is yet to secure his coaching badges but Pinnick reveals the NFF has not breached any law.
“Apart from the first assistant in the national team, other coaches that are yet to get a coaching license are allowed to be in the team’s technical set up according to the rules. So, Yobo’s appointment is on track.”
Yobo holds the record of the most–capped Super Eagles player along with former goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NFF Preparing YOBO To Coach Eagles in the Future -- Pinn

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi and Bret-fart are training for the the Olympics chess tournament and Bigporker is a body builder. Gtfoh :roll: :roll:
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Thu May 14, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Tobi and Bret fart are going to the Olympics chess tournament and Bigporker is body builder. :roll:
Mods, can you delete this drunkard's post?

As for Yobo, he's never struck me as the charismatic type as Pinnick states - he's more enigmatic than anything else.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Tobi and Bret fart are going to the Olympics chess tournament and Bigporker is body builder. :roll:

As for Yobo, he's never struck me as the charismatic type as Pinnick states - he's more enigmatic than anything else.
Me sef dey scratch head on that one, no offence to Yobo.

My question is really, what about Finidi? Is he not interested?

This is why I believe its long overdue that CE started doing our own damn interviews.
Somebody put me in contact with Finidi, abeg.
I go do am. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:This is why I believe its long overdue that CE started doing our own damn interviews.
The biggest Nigeria football forum is somewhat passive and very much a consumer of news rather than a content creator. With all the contacts members have with footballers it shouldn't be difficult to arrange interviews with them - especially during this period.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:This is why I believe its long overdue that CE started doing our own damn interviews.
The biggest Nigeria football forum is somewhat passive and very much a consumer of news rather than a content creator. With all the contacts members have with footballers it shouldn't be difficult to arrange interviews with them - especially during this period.
well we have people like damunk, who is just a consumer
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

The YeyeMan wrote:
In over 20 years of existence we've not been able to transcend just being a fan forum to something more. Shame that. We are our own worst enemy.

We have ex players, journalists, agents etc but we manage to chase them all away...
Last edited by pajimoh on Thu May 14, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Born Leader :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Damunk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Me sef dey scratch head on that one, no offence to Yobo.

My question is really, what about Finidi? Is he not interested?

This is why I believe its long overdue that CE started doing our own damn interviews.

The fear of Yobo is the beginning of wisdom. See as DaMunkey suddenly wan become brown bag journalist just by the mere mention of the Natural Born Leader. Chai! :rotf:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
In over 20 years of existence we've not been able to transcend just being a fan forum to sometjing more. Shane that. We are our own worse enemy.

We have ex players, journalists, agents etc but we manage to chase them all away...
There is plenty of sand outside to go chew on if you suddenly don't like they way things are because of the name yobo. I would say go hug a transformer, but you might fall in love and start writing it love letters like ... Babe, Transfy, I love you tooo much....
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Let me get this straight...
You bypass ex-Nigerian players with legitimate coaching certs (Oliseh, Amunike, Finidi, Rufai) and end up with some guy who's been fiddle farting all this while since retirement and worse still, is not smart enough to pass a coaching class?
And then have Bozo the clown and Pinnick make all manner of excuses for his ridiculous appointment as part of the SE coaching staff?
Born leader my arse? More like a Born Losser (to quote Trump).
I beg!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Otitokoro wrote:Let me get this straight...
You bypass ex-Nigerian players with legitimate coaching certs (Oliseh, Amunike, Finidi, Rufai) and end up with some guy who's been fiddle farting all this while since retirement and worse still, is not smart enough to pass a coaching class?
And then have Bozo the clown and Pinnick make all manner of excuses for his ridiculous appointment as part of the SE coaching staff?
I beg!
Stop mentioning Amunike or Finidi as if any of you give a rat's azs about them. I bet if we search this forum we wont find one instance where any of you have clamoured for either of them to coach the SE. Abeg make I hear word. Yobo, the born leader, will coach the SE and all of you will love it whether you like it or not.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

There are several instances on CE where Amunike, Finidi and others mentioned have been suggested for being a part of the SE coaching set up, as they are indeed more deserving and more competent, from a coaching experience and coaching education standpoint. How Yobo, a complete neophyte, who is clearly lacking in both key elements, happened to have been picked ahead of that quartet, is shocking, to say the least.

Ideally, Yobo ought to have started by learning the ropes by being appointed to be a coaching assistance on one of the Youth teams, preferably U17. That should give him enough time to get off his lazy behind and get a coaching cert as well as some OJT.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Pinnick would try and justify his appointment ahead of more competent options.

1naija wrote:
I beg!
Stop mentioning Amunike or Finidi as if any of you give a rat's azs about them. I bet if we search this forum we wont find one instance where any of you have clamoured for either of them to coach the SE. Abeg make I hear word. Yobo, the born leader, will coach the SE and all of you will love it whether you like it or not.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I beg!
Coaching success isn't just about having a certificate o! It is also about leadership ability and the right temperament. While, I do not know much about Yobo and those qualities, it is important that being certified isn't the only thing to consider. Certified is the much easier thing to obtain by anyone.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote:
I beg!
Coaching success isn't just about having a certificate o! It is also about leadership ability and the right temperament. While, I do not know much about Yobo and those qualities, it is important that being certified isn't the only thing to consider. Certified is the much easier thing to obtain by anyone.
Thank you! Being a natural leader means you have soft skills,which can't be thought, it is either you have it or you don't! Anybody can learn and pass a certification. There must be a reason why he captained Nigeria and the Everton team for years and also has the most caps for Nigeria! Let's encourage these players and not bring them down unnecessarily!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I agree that we should be embedding a Nigerian with this current team to take over after 2022, but is Yobo really the best guy ?

seems like he may just be a "yes" man.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

With all due respect, Prof, I disagree.
Coaching certs ARE important, as it enables you better understand the tenents of the trade. In most professions, getting certified is an important pre-requisite to practicing the profession. So, why should there be an exception for Yobo?
There is absolutely no way you would have become a Prof and Dept. Chair, if you didn't possess the right qualifications. So why should Yobo obtaining his coaching certifications be an issue and not a key pre-requisite to him being a part of the coaching crew?

Leadership wise, not to denigrate his accomplishments, but I truly struggle to remember any key decisions he made that positively influenced the team. I remember Chukwu, Keshi, Oliseh, Okocha, Enyeama and Mikel's contibutions and fights as captain of and for the team. I can't remember a single incident regarding Yobo in all his 100 appearances and 10+ yrs as team captain. Nothing to point to, from a leadership standpoint.

So, the question remains, what exactly is he bringing to the table?
Enugu II wrote:
I beg!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro,

I actually do not disagree with its importance. The point that I attempt to make is that it is the easiest of the requirements for success on the job. Why? Because you can earn it by simply passing an exam. To me the most difficult is actually SKILL in managing people i.e. personality/leadership qualities that you bring beyond the certificate. Yobo will earn the badges. That is the simplest of the hurdles that he needs to overcome. If he has, already, the leadership qualities then he is well on his way. I will not touch a guy with all the certifications in the world who has no leadership qualities.
Otitokoro wrote:With all due respect, Prof, I disagree.
Coaching certs ARE important, as it enables you better understand the tenents of the trade. In most professions, getting certified is an important pre-requisite to practicing the profession. So, why should there be an exception for Yobo?
There is absolutely no way you would have become a Prof and Dept. Chair, if you didn't possess the right qualifications. So why should Yobo obtaining his coaching certifications be an issue and not a key pre-requisite to him being a part of the coaching crew?

Leadership wise, not to denigrate his accomplishments, but I truly struggle to remember any key decisions he made that positively influenced the team. I remember Chukwu, Keshi, Oliseh, Okocha, Enyeama and Mikel's contibutions and fights as captain of and for the team. I can't remember a single incident regarding Yobo in all his 100 appearances and 10+ yrs as team captain. Nothing to point to, from a leadership standpoint.

Enugu II wrote:
I beg!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

And regarding his so called 'leadership qualities', where is the demonstrable evidence that he does indeed possess any? I argued earlier that I am yet to recall his leadership influence during his time on the team. The fact that he was once Captain does not mean he has the right leadership qualities to manage a national team. Being team captain and coach are two different things and many great players/captains have struggled transitioning from the former to the latter.

I will also argue that the mere fact that he was once captain bears zero influence on him being the right choice to be groomed as coach. Prime example is Diego Maradona. He is arguably the greatest Argentine captain ever and had impecable leadership qualities on the field. However, he was a poor national team coach. Why? He did not have the right credentials. Michel Platini, Berti Vogts is also an example of a previous captain that struggled with managing a team.
Enugu II wrote:Otitokoro,

I actually do not disagree with its importance. The point that I attempt to make is that it is the easiest of the requirements for success on the job. Why? Because you can earn it by simply passing an exam. To me the most difficult is actually SKILL in managing people i.e. personality/leadership qualities that you bring beyond the certificate. Yobo will earn the badges. That is the simplest of the hurdles that he needs to overcome. If he has, already, the leadership qualities then he is well on his way. I will not touch a guy with all the certifications in the world who has no leadership qualities.
Otitokoro wrote:With all due respect, Prof, I disagree.

Enugu II wrote:
I beg!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Finidi is a product of Ajax, is intelligent, articulate and has a good football IQ. I would rather we invested in him and paired him with the likes of Mutiu Adepoju who is another cerebral baller. Yobo can talk a good game but IMO lacks the aura or commanding presence to run the show, like a Steve Bould to a Wenger.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Many people in Sifia pain as lolly mohammed would say.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I really can't comment on whether Yobo is charismatic or a born leader. Sounds to me like Pinnick is trying hard to justify his unpopular choice. I really hope Yobo blossoms into a great coach.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Many years ago, when I said Yobo was fuccking senior officials at the NFF in order to keep himself in the National team, people doubted me. As is now clear, his decision to sell his body to these men at the NFF did not only guarantee him undeserved call-ups, his sugar daddies are now "grooming him" to coach the eagles. shameless thing! :oops: :oops:

The good part about this is that he is a useless footballer and would probably make a worthless coach. Unlike a player, a coach cannot hide! When he finally takes over and we are humiliated, he will be fired and will return to the disgusting hole, from whence he came!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?