Eagles Coach Rohr Hails FIFA's New Five-Substitute Rule

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eagles Coach Rohr Hails FIFA's New Five-Substitute Rule

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote:I think the new change of three player substitutions should be made permanent. I have always wondered why the limit of three has not been increased for over 30yrs (my brain might be failing me) or so.
KPOM. In addition, they should do away with allowing teams to play with less players. If a guy is sent off it should be a punishment on the player and not team. The team should be Able to replace a sent off player. The huge advantage provided in such sent offs is ridiculous especially in an era when players are quite adept at diving and feigning injuries.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
Odas wrote:I think the new change of three player substitutions should be made permanent. I have always wondered why the limit of three has not been increased for over 30yrs (my brain might be failing me) or so.
KPOM. In addition, they should do away with allowing teams to play with less players. If a guy is sent off it should be a punishment on the player and not team. The team should be Able to replace a sent off player. The huge advantage provided in such sent offs is ridiculous especially in an era when players are quite adept at diving and feigning injuries.
Chief, I disagree here.
It's a team game and part of that is the knowledge that you do your bit for the team - for better for worse.
The 'professional foul' (for example) is one player sacrificing himself for the benefit of the team in an extremely 'dangerous', possibly game-changing development.

That professional foul will surely become the norm rather than the exception if the only penalty for the team is replacing the offending player.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Enugu II wrote:
I don't agree the rules should be made permanent and definitely don't agree that a sent off player should be replaced.

It is understandable it is temporary. Players are coming back from being match rusty. They can't be expected to be at their fittest. So more substitution makes sense but to make it permanent will favour the rich teams. Having 5 subs is practically half of the outfield players.
As for allowing another player to take the place of a sent off player, I think that should never be considered.
I can be as cynical as putting on a player I least value with the instruction for him to take out your best player. He gets sent off and I replace him with an even more effective player.
What if I have 3 players sent off for injuring our opponent or stopping a goal bound shot?
Do I still get another 3 to replace them? So the team gets the benefit but the player gets the sentence?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Chief, I disagree here.
It's a team game and part of that is the knowledge that you do your bit for the team - for better for worse.
The 'professional foul' (for example) is one player sacrificing himself for the benefit of the team in an extremely 'dangerous', possibly game-changing development.

That professional foul will surely become the norm rather than the exception if the only penalty for the team is replacing the offending player.
...'professional foul' do happen at other team sports, example in American football (tripping) or basketball (flagrant foul). The player/team is penalized heavily, can result in sending of (ejecting) but the team still have their compliment of full squad on the field.
Soccer and fifa will come around one day to scrap it.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Chief, I disagree here.

...'professional foul' do happen at other team sports, example in American football (tripping) or basketball (flagrant foul). The player/team is penalized heavily, can result in sending of (ejecting) but the team still have their compliment of full squad on the field.
Yet in other sport like rugby a player is sent off, even though it might be for a length of time.
The bottom line is having a full compliment of players would lead to more cynical fouls with very little consequences.
So if you have 3 or 5 dubs and all are sent off, how do you replace them? Do you then have unlimited subs?
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

In this day and age where squads can easily replace players without a noticable drop in performance, that might not be a good idea. There has to be serious consequences for serious & intentional fouls meted out on players during a match. I actually think a hybrid of the Ice Hockey 'power play' model might work.
Enugu II wrote:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

pajimoh wrote:
mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Chief, I disagree here.

Yet in other sport like rugby a player is sent off, even though it might be for a length of time.
The bottom line is having a full compliment of players would lead to more cynical fouls with very little consequences.
So if you have 3 or 5 dubs and all are sent off, how do you replace them? Do you then have unlimited subs?

In my view, the player pays the price and the team penalty is some penalty points but not the death penalty that such sending off often amounts today. Even in ice hockey where fouls are deadly and more debilitating, players simply enter a penalty box for a defined period and returns. The current rule in soccer is just way overboard, if you ask me.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

E2:

FIFA will never adopt this rule. FIFA is into protecting big teams and big stars. Imagine if, each time we played Argentina for World Cup, we had the option of breaking Messi's leg without losing a man!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D

Enugu II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Chief, I disagree here.

In my view, the player pays the price and the team penalty is some penalty points but not the death penalty that such sending off often amounts today. Even in ice hockey where fouls are deadly and more debilitating, players simply enter a penalty box for a defined period and returns. The current rule in soccer is just way overboard, if you ask me.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Imagine we have a player like Messi and other teams have the option of breaking his leg without the consequence of losing a man.

The current rule has never been about protecting big teams. It's about protecting players.

Cmoke wrote:E2:

FIFA will never adopt this rule. FIFA is into protecting big teams and big stars. Imagine if, each time we played Argentina for World Cup, we had the option of breaking Messi's leg without losing a man!

Enugu II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Chief, I disagree here.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

It will benefit the big teams more. When they go behind in a game they can bring on their star studded international reserves and change the game. We saw the effects of this in the Bundesliga last weekend when Bayern were able to bring a World Cup winner of the bench and Dortmund brought Sancho on as a sub.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Enugu II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Chief, I disagree here.

...your team break a star's leg, the offending player is sent off and replaced, team is penalized, points deduction, hefty monetary fine. Especially point deduction will be a deterrent.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Mcal,

Not only that, the player can be suspended for a long time if it was judged to be deliberate injury to another player. Soccer is not the only spot with great players. Ice hockey has great players and so does basketball and others. In those sports maintaining balance much of the game has not led to more injuries suffered by star players. I do not see why football will be any different. Why do you think soccer presents a difference?
mcal wrote:

Enugu II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Chief, I disagree here.

...your team break a star's leg, the offending player is sent off and replaced, team is penalized, points deduction, hefty monetary fine. Especially point deduction will be a deterrent.