Abbey George warns NFF against begging players ...

Next
Abbey George warns NFF against begging players ...

Post by Next »

...to play for the Super Eagles
Abbey George warns NFF against begging players to play for the Super Eagles

https://www.brila.net/abbey-george-warn ... er-eagles/
Former Super Eagles defender George Abbey has advised the Nigeria Football Federation against begging players with Nigeria descent to come and represent the country.

After failing in their bid to convince Chelsea duo of Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori to dump England for the West African Nation, the Nigeria Football Federation is also facing big task to win the race for Bayern Munich starlet Joshua Zirkzee who has represented the Netherlands at the age-grade level.

While the NFF has been widely criticized for trying too hard to convince players of Nigeria descent to come to play for the country, Abbey George opined its not a bad idea, but he maintained the players must also be willing to play for the country.

“I don’t think it’s a bad idea, because if you look Victor Moses came and did a good job, now we have Troost-Ekong and Balogun who also doing well. So I think we have players who are happy to come, but I don’t think we should beg anyone to and plays for us.”He told http://www.brila.net.

The former Macclesfield town defender who chose to represent Nigeria over Wales also explained why some of these are reluctant to represent Nigeria.

“Nigeria is a big nation, we are one of the best in the world, but I can understand why some of the players are hesitant. Some of them are born abroad, they have never been to Nigeria, they know nothing about the culture, so when Nigeria approaches them to come and they petrify.”

“Basically we are taking them out of their comfort zone, but the ones who wanted to come are welcome and the one who did not, we have to respect their decision,” he told http://www.brila.net.

Abbey George was born in Nigeria to Welsh mother and a Nigerian father, he was part of Nigeria’s bronze-winning 2004 African Cup of Nations squad in Tunisia.
This is what most people have been saying. To play for the SE you have to feel it and want it...
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
Re: Abbey George warns NFF against begging players ...

The word "begging" is silly.
How many of you "begged" your wives to marry you?
How many "begged" a woman for sex?

Its a mutual agreement and the process starts with negotiation.
That's what the cynics will call 'begging' just to cast a negative shadow on a normal and natural process.

Damunk wrote:The word "begging" is silly.

That's what the cynics will call 'begging' just to cast a negative shadow on a normal and natural process.
I said this over a decade ago. This reveals the mindset of some Nigerian sportswriters and some on CE.

Kpom!

OK, seven years ago. :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=238188&p=3921844&hilit=beg#p3921844

Kpom!
Yep. People set false narrative. They turn "asking", "enquiring" into "begging".

It's as if a naija born player, if asked, cannot turn Naija down and a foreign born player, if asked, cannnot enthusiastically say yes without being "begged"

George Abbey, a human embodiment of corruption and paddy paddy government. A worthless player who played in division 3 or 4, but made it to the SE because his childhood best friend had connections in the NFF and coaching staff. Unfortunately, that same best friend has now slept his way into becoming the assistant coach. Corruption pays in Nigeria!

danfo driver wrote:George Abbey, a human embodiment of corruption and paddy paddy government. A worthless player who played in division 3 or 4, but made it to the SE because his childhood best friend had connections in the NFF and coaching staff. Unfortunately, that same best friend has now slept his way into becoming the assistant coach. Corruption pays in Nigeria!
You are one sick dude. Seek help before you self explode.

danfo driver wrote:George Abbey, a human embodiment of corruption and paddy paddy government. A worthless player who played in division 3 or 4, but made it to the SE because his childhood best friend had connections in the NFF and coaching staff. Unfortunately, that same best friend has now slept his way into becoming the assistant coach. Corruption pays in Nigeria!
You are one sick dude. Seek help before you self explode.
Which fact are you denying?

1. George Abbey was a lower division player?
2. George Abbey was a horrible footballer?
3. George Abbey and Joseph Yobo are childhood best friends?
4. George Abbey got into the Super Eagles because his childhood best friend got him in?
5. Joseph Yobo has slept with NFF officials to remain in the SE?
6. Joseph Yobo is deathly unqualified to be the SE assistant coach?
7. Joseph Yobo slept with NFF officials to get the position of SE assistant coach?
8. Joseph Yobo is corrupt?
9. Corruption pays in Nigeria?

Thanks!

The words should be invitation and pressure.

Next wrote:...to play for the Super Eagles
Abbey George warns NFF against begging players to play for the Super Eagles

https://www.brila.net/abbey-george-warn ... er-eagles/
Former Super Eagles defender George Abbey has advised the Nigeria Football Federation against begging players with Nigeria descent to come and represent the country.

After failing in their bid to convince Chelsea duo of Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori to dump England for the West African Nation, the Nigeria Football Federation is also facing big task to win the race for Bayern Munich starlet Joshua Zirkzee who has represented the Netherlands at the age-grade level.

While the NFF has been widely criticized for trying too hard to convince players of Nigeria descent to come to play for the country, Abbey George opined its not a bad idea, but he maintained the players must also be willing to play for the country.

“I don’t think it’s a bad idea, because if you look Victor Moses came and did a good job, now we have Troost-Ekong and Balogun who also doing well. So I think we have players who are happy to come, but I don’t think we should beg anyone to and plays for us.”He told http://www.brila.net.

The former Macclesfield town defender who chose to represent Nigeria over Wales also explained why some of these are reluctant to represent Nigeria.

“Nigeria is a big nation, we are one of the best in the world, but I can understand why some of the players are hesitant. Some of them are born abroad, they have never been to Nigeria, they know nothing about the culture, so when Nigeria approaches them to come and they petrify.”

“Basically we are taking them out of their comfort zone, but the ones who wanted to come are welcome and the one who did not, we have to respect their decision,” he told http://www.brila.net.

Abbey George was born in Nigeria to Welsh mother and a Nigerian father, he was part of Nigeria’s bronze-winning 2004 African Cup of Nations squad in Tunisia.
This is what most people have been saying. To play for the SE you have to feel it and want it...
Dude, the best teams, companies still recruit (beg) for talent especially in cases where there's competition for the said talent or you don't have comparable talent at your disposal.

I like that we are making Naijaria a viable option for our talent that are out there.

Irony.
chuks69

Post by chuks69 »

Abbey was decent in SE as per African standards, he wasnt world class, but did a good job for SE when he played.. He was an upgrade on Reuben Agboola..
afc##

chuks69 wrote:Abbey was decent in SE as per African standards, he wasnt world class, but did a good job for SE when he played.. He was an upgrade on Reuben Agboola..
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Are you comparing their mix-race?

chuks69 wrote:Abbey was decent in SE as per African standards, he wasnt world class, but did a good job for SE when he played.. He was an upgrade on Reuben Agboola..
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Are you comparing their mix-race?
We even had Osaze before he came so there has to be another prereq.

Lol Francis Kumbur. I forgot about that one. :D

And also, "Hey you". Hehehe, Chukwu will never live that down.

It'll live forever in infamy.

:D
Interesting that the 2015 'begging' thread is about Stephen Keshi allegedly travelling to London to go and "beg" the so-called 'English Naija boys'.

I thought only Rohr and Pinnick did that?
Must be Fake News. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You never see anything:) :) :)

I disagree with you. all the spending, gifts and flashy cars to nack a babe is all part of the begging process.

For me, extend an invite to the player, if he doesnt want pick it, then he should F off! others are dying to have that invite. No need to be padding and massaging their egos like weve been doing with the Akpogumas, tammys and co.

As much as I dont feel good about Dessers invite, i cant fault it much bcos he really wanted this.

Enough of this foreign born players. We only invite them if they are scoring on the moon or if there's a position needed to be plugged.

chief nfachairman wrote:

I disagree with you. all the spending, gifts and flashy cars to nack a babe is all part of the begging process.

For me, extend an invite to the player, if he doesnt want pick it, then he should F off! others are dying to have that invite. No need to be padding and massaging their egos like weve been doing with the Akpogumas, tammys and co.

As much as I dont feel good about Dessers invite, i cant fault it much bcos he really wanted this.

Enough of this foreign born players. We only invite them if they are scoring on the moon or if there's a position needed to be plugged.
Chief, we'll have to disagree on that.
The flashy cars and gifts are part of the negotiation process, not begging.
It is after all the gifts have been taken with no end result that some shameless guy (I presume) will now beg.
But I don't know any guy that has ever begged a girl to marry him, or for that matter begged a girl for sex. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The equivalent of the flashy cars and gifts wrt the NFF and FB players is the promise of glory on the world stage, the adulation of the fans and being part of the Naija swag.

If that is begging, then maybe it is nothing new because clubs are known to promise to buy houses for parents of prospective young players, employ them (parents) in jobs and pay for the education of siblings.

If that wan nor be begging, how do our own humble promises now qualify as "begging"? :taunt:

Well, sometimes we have to beg - directly or indirectly - depending on what it is, but the begging must have a limit, upon which it must stop. To these players, I cannot say we've attained such limits or not, but we must be careful not to make foolish of ourselves in the process.

Kpom!
Yep. People set false narrative. They turn "asking", "enquiring" into "begging".

It's as if a naija born player, if asked, cannot turn Naija down and a foreign born player, if asked, cannnot enthusiastically say yes without being "begged"
Pajimoh, everything has limit. When one is asking, asking and asking, or is inquiring repeatedly without ceasing, then it's 'begging.' And that's what I think

Kpom!

Pajimoh, everything has limit. When one is asking, asking and asking, or is inquiring repeatedly without ceasing, then it's 'begging.' And that's what I think
Like in which case?
Becos we are forever quarrelling on CE by no means suggests some people are forever "begging".