Ex SE coaches were involved in unethical selections-Odemwing

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Ex SE coaches were involved in unethical selections-Odemwing

Post by iworo »

Former Super Eagles coaches were involved in unethical selections – Odemwingie

The 38-year-old has revealed a few former managers of the West Africans made decisions which were detrimental to the team’s success
Peter Odemwingie has explained how former Nigeria national team coaches were involved in unethical behaviour during his time at the Super Eagles.

Odemwingie made 63 appearances for the West Africans, scoring 10 goals during his 12-year career with the side, featuring in two World Cups and four Africa Cup of Nations competitions.

The former West Brom and Stoke City star claimed Shuaibu Amodu and a few ex-Super Eagles managers mixed their national teamwork with player management at the detriment of the country.

The revelation is coming days after Chinedu Obasi and Taye Taiwo made bribery allegations against former Nigeria coaches.

“Some of our coaches did get involved in a bit of player management, they had management companies," Odemwingie told Super Eagles media team in an Instagram chat.

Shuaibu Amodu, for instance, had a management company. Some picked a weaker player over a stronger one who played in a better club because they wanted to market their player.

“He was in and out as a coach and an agent, but he was a great man. I used to talk with him whenever I could about it. I loved Amodu.

“We used to fall out at times with him when they changed our hotels to a very poor one in Abuja.”

Odemwingie was embroiled in a dispute with former Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi before the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations and was subsequently left out of the squad that won the continental tournament in South Africa.

On settling his differences with Keshi, he was included in the 2014 World Cup squad in Brazil and made a key impact in the tournament, scoring a decisive goal against Bosnia and Herzegovina that helped the Super Eagles clinch their first win in the competition since 1998.

The 38-year-old, however, admitted he regretted not reaching out to the late coach before the Afcon tournament.

“I think I should have called the coach and not be stubborn, maybe I would have a gold medal too. I dreamt about the team winning the trophy before the tournament kicked off,” he continued.

But you know when you are young and you believe you are right with your decision, you just want to stick to them. Well, it’s past now but it is what I would have handled differently.”

Besides featuring for the Super Eagles at the Wolrd Cup and Africa Cup of Nations, he was also part of the Nigerian team that won an Olympic silver medal in 2008 in China.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/former-sup ... tqaxwm2heb
iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: Ex SE coaches were involved in unethical selections-Odem

Post by iworo »

'He Was Out Of Breath A Lot' - Odemwingie Makes Big Claim About Keshi's Health In Brazil
Published: May 18, 2020

'He Was Out Of Breath A Lot' - Odemwingie Makes Big Claim About Keshi's Health In Brazil
Retired Nigeria international Peter Odemwingie has claimed that late Stephen Keshi was not in good health during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The legendary Nigeria central defender, who won the Africa Cup of Nations as player and coach with the Super Eagles, passed away on June 7, 2016 after a suspected heart attack at his home in Benin City.

Odemwingie and Keshi had been feuding after the striker was dropped from the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations roster but they both buried the hatchet few months before the tournament in Brazil.

"It's not to prove who is boss, who is not. It's national interest and I believe I brought some value to the team in Brazil, we put those differences aside," Odemwingie said in an Instagram conversation with the Super Eagles Media Team monitored by allnigeriasoccer.com.

"And actually after that we were in touch, he'll give me a call out of the blue, he'll just call to say hello and say he heard about my injury and then checked on me when I had surgery."

The ex-West Brom and Stoke City star continued : "Of course it shocked me as well he passed away but you could see his health wasn't great even in Brazil. He was out of breath a lot, he needed to take breaks, he wasn't so much full of energy on the sidelines.

"Sometimes he stands up to pass some messages, he wasn't looking full of energy then, unfortunately.

"He's a legend in the country, he's done a great job, put any sentiment aside he got the job done and that's what counts a lot in sports."

With the exception of the goalless draw against Iran in their opener, Odemwingie started all the matches played by the Super Eagles at the World Cup in Brazil, and the highlight of his performance was scoring the match-winning goal against Bosnia in the group stage.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=36176
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ex SE coaches were involved in unethical selections-Odem

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Yep!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI