NFF's Complicated Relationship With Rohr!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
NFF's Complicated Relationship With Rohr!

Post by Dammy »

I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NFF's Complicated Relationship With Rohr!

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy,

Thanks for posting this. I had planned to do so earlier. You beat me to it.
Nigeria’s complicated relationship with Gernot Rohr

By: Oluwashina Okeleji
@oluwashina
20 May 2020
Sport

Nowhere is the shifting nature of loyalty in football more apparent than in the relationship between coaches and administrators. The current state of affairs between the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and national team coach Gernot Rohr perfectly illustrates this.

It’s an uneasy alliance that New Frame can confirm will continue until the end of the 2022 Fifa World Cup should the German sign the new contract he has been offered. With the two parties seemingly destined to part ways after months of wrangling, the contract is a surprise. While the 66-year-old mulls over the terms, the circumstances leading up to this renewal proposal mean he can be under no illusion that the next two years will be a slog – the hardest he has faced in his time in charge of the Super Eagles.

Rohr’s appointment as coach of Nigeria in 2016 was met with doubts because his CV wasn’t that impressive. But the NFF, led by president Amaju Pinnick, stuck by its choice in the face of popular dissent. Its faith was quickly rewarded by the ease with which Rohr led Nigeria through a perilous 2018 World Cup qualifying group featuring Cameroon, the reigning African champions at the time, as well as Algeria and Zambia, which have both conquered the continent before.

The Super Eagles were the first African side to qualify for the World Cup, doing so with a game to spare and finishing so far ahead of second-place Zambia that even a points deduction – for fielding an ineligible player in the final qualifier – barely registered.
Rohr immediately set to work, drafting a contract to run until June 2020. This was done without input from the NFF’s legal department, but that did not prevent a high-ranking official from appending his signature on behalf of the federation. The signing was done during a game at the Agege Stadium in Lagos in January, indicating the hurried nature of it. However, all seemed fair enough: Nigeria had rewarded her coach with an improved deal for a job well done.

Come the World Cup, the Super Eagles failed to fly and were eliminated in the group stage following defeat to long-time bête noire Argentina, which Nigeria have drawn, improbably, five times in six appearances in the competition. However, the NFF stood by its man even as public opinion once more shifted against him, pointing out the green shoots of progress the national team had made during his stewardship.

During the build-up to the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifiers, Rohr began enquiring about the status of the promised bonus payment. Only then did the NFF realise he had included the promised bonus payment in the contract, which it had signed without perusal and did not even have a copy of.

From a federation source, New Frame understands that the insistent manner in which Rohr went about the enquiry angered NFF officials, whose pride was wounded by the knowledge that their own carelessness had now given him the upper hand. They also considered it dishonest on Rohr’s part that he was making a fuss about that qualification bonus specifically on the grounds that it was in his contract, whereas he had had no qualms about receiving a World Cup participation bonus that was not stipulated in his contract. However, the only actual “mistake” the German had made was in trusting a gentleman’s agreement and asking for what he believed was his due.

He would eventually receive the bonus, but not in full – in May 2019, the NFF paid him $90 000 of the $150 000 promised. There was no mistaking that a clear air of resentment had been introduced.

And then the country’s football administration began to air its misgivings regarding Rohr’s conduct as coach. New Frame understands that the control and involvement of a certain French agent in the squad became a point of disaffection for some of the NFF officials, and it is reported that the agent in question now represents as many as 10 players in the national team.

Rohr, however, remained in charge. He qualified for the Afcon and led Nigeria to a third-place finish at the tournament in Egypt. In the meantime, seeing that his stock with the NFF was dwindling, the German had surprisingly recalled estranged captain Mikel John Obi for the competition, counting on the former Chelsea man’s influence to fight his corner and insulate him somewhat. It was a nakedly political move, and one which the officials saw through.

The manner of some of the Afcon performances, including the defeat in the semifinal against Algeria, once again split public opinion, exposing some of Rohr’s tactical shortcomings at major competitions. This time the federation was only too happy to undermine him and stoke the debate about whether the team had actually developed under his leadership. Pinnick even publicly suggested that Rohr was in need of a refresher course and proposed sending him to German giants Bayern Munich for that purpose.

A bright future?

Rohr had earned a free pass by building a young squad as well as snapping up young players born in Europe to commit to Nigeria. But after a disappointing outing at the World Cup and the way his team failed to go all the way at the Afcon, questions began to arise over whether he can truly take Nigeria to a higher level of play.

However, as the final six months of his contract began to loom, it became clear that the NFF was hell-bent on him leaving at the end of it. Yet, to clearly state why would have exposed its officials’ own lack of due diligence, and for all intents and purposes his results had been satisfactory. So, it became a battle of wits to see which party would blink first.

Under the previous schedule, the pair of Afcon qualifiers against Sierra Leone in March should have been the coach’s last games in charge of the Super Eagles. But the unforeseen outbreak of Covid-19 provided the federation an easy solution: it could simply cite force majeure and let the contract wind down, taking advantage of Rohr’s inability to present himself in Nigeria to push him out.

Seeing this eventuality, Rohr made another political manoeuvre, using an established line of communication with the sports minister as well as a senior official in the Presidency. It is through this influence from higher powers, who look favourably on the relative stability of the national team under the German’s leadership, that the NFF has now been forced to offer him the renewal it was never keen to do.
The NFF’s reluctance is made plain by Pinnick’s many recent interviews alluding to more stringent oversight of the former Bordeaux and Nantes manager’s contract, were it to be offered.

“We have told him he must live in Nigeria and that his salary will be paid in the local naira currency and not in dollars. He must go round league venues and see how he can nurture the players. If he is able to accept, we have a deal,” Pinnick said.

The truly revealing soundbite of the interview, however, followed.

“We will seek legal opinions on international coaches’ contracts. Going forward, we want to be very thorough with Rohr’s contract.”

More Nigeria-based players

There is also a certain irony about the sudden insistence on scouting home-based players. Pinnick has, in the course of his tenure, made headlines and even attracted some ridicule for his very public pursuits of Nigeria-eligible dual-nationality players such as Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori, as well as Queens Park Rangers’ Ebere Eze. Clearly then, there is more to these stipulations than meets the eye.

For his part Rohr, even though in theory he had the option of talking to other countries from January, is predisposed to remaining in the role. In his mind, he has built an exciting project with Nigeria and is eager to see it through to the end. The one sore point for him has been the rather public way that the NFF has handled the contract negotiations, which to his mind is a delicate issue that should have been kept private.

He has already shown willingness to scout the Nigeria Professional Football League by turning up at a few games, even though he has pointed out several times that the country’s best players are those based in Europe. Rohr has also stated he has “no problems” with living in Nigeria and that he only balked at the house the federation provided him on the grounds that it was too large; he had not been consulted in selecting it.

“I don’t want more money. I don’t want more bonuses. I don’t want anything special,” he insists. “I only want to work as free as I could.”

As it turns out, the new deal offers none of those things anyway. His salary remains capped at $55 000 and the stipulation that he receives his pay in naira would probably amount to him being paid less money, based on international rates of exchange.

In addition, having required the involvement of powerful people in the Nigerian government to keep him in the job, Rohr will no doubt be aware that, if he accepts this latest extension, the freedom he requires will be in short supply over the next two-and-a-half years.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

we are wasting $55k*12=$660,000 a year which is 255,420,000 naira on this bobo all to win a golden bronze...chei...now that is a very costly golden bronze
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

The NFF is such a badly run organization, it’s just comical.

Sign contract you didn’t read? No copy? It’s amazing this team wins any games
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

What is surprising is no comment from CE in the invitation of 10 players from an unnamed agent. If true, I wonder what that is attributed to? This site almost collapsed with Keshi's invitation of far less players managed by one agent. Why is Rohr getting a pass if this is true?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Enugu II wrote:What is surprising is no comment from CE in the invitation of 10 players from an unnamed agent. If true, I wonder what that is attributed to? This site almost collapsed with Keshi's invitation of far less players managed by one agent. Why is Rohr getting a pass if this is true?
When Keshi was coach, people had agendas.

Under Rohr, there are no agenda.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:What is surprising is no comment from CE in the invitation of 10 players from an unnamed agent. If true, I wonder what that is attributed to? This site almost collapsed with Keshi's invitation of far less players managed by one agent. Why is Rohr getting a pass if this is true?
The 10 players are worth their places in the squad and I would be interested in their names.
We know the Tony Harris players under Keshi with the exception of Ahmed Musa were not worth their places in the SE squad.
As a fan, I care less if all the SE players belong to one agent, as long as they're the best we've got.
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
When Keshi was coach, people had agendas.

Under Rohr, there are no agenda.
You are so pathetically desperate in your efforts to tar Rohr with the same brush as Keshi!
Agent or no agent, most Nigerian football fans know that Rohr picks his team on merit, the same cannot be said of Keshi!
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:
The 10 players are worth their places in the squad and I would be interested in their names.
We know the Tony Harris players under Keshi with the exception of Ahmed Musa were not worth their places in the SE squad.
As a fan, I care less if all the SE players belong to one agent, as long as they're the best we've got.

WE need to know who they are first. In Keshi's case, I would not say they were not worth their spots. He won a Nations Cup with them. We have not won a trophy yet with Rohr. Or should the assessment no longer be about winning laurels but based on subjective assessments.I bet you many will prefer making these assessments based on the end goal of winning trophies.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Well, since you asked :D , I did a random search of Etebo's agent - whose ubiquitous presence in the team seemed somewhat weird in certain games - and saw it was DW sports management... and they seem to represent a fair amount of Nigerian players (also represents musa, simon and a few other random nigerian players)....though its pretty difficult to judge if they are the true french connection.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/dw-sports- ... rater/3933

Did another random search for Paul Onuachu, but his agent represents hardly any other Nigerian players.

Ola Aina's agent represents a fair amount of Nigerians, but mostly the british born Nigerians https://www.transfermarkt.us/elite-proj ... rater/5620

Just random searches though...but though I have had some issues with Rohr's in game selection/substitutions, I haven't had much issue with his squad call ups...and I can't say the same for Keshi.

Rohr appears to choose, by and large, Nigeria's best teams....disagree with him on a few choices, but they generally are the agree to diagree variety...with the key exception of benching Chukwueze for Moses Simon at the last Afcon.....And guess what, Simon is represented by DW. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by deanotito on Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:

WE need to know who they are first. In Keshi's case, I would not say they were not worth their spots. He won a Nations Cup with them. We have not won a trophy yet with Rohr. Or should the assessment no longer be about winning laurels but based on subjective assessments.I bet you many will prefer making these assessments based on the end goal of winning trophies.
The current SE squad players managed by the French agency DW Sports are Emmanuel Dennis, Samuel Kalu, Etebo Simon Moses, Onyekuru, Bryan Idowu and Andersen Esiti.
Of the 7 ( instead of 10 by the writer ), only 4 are regular call - ups Dennis, Kalu, Etebo and Moses, while the likes of Onyekuru Idowu and Esiti have fallen by the wayside due to the emergence of better players. Would anyone argue that those 4 players don't merit their invitation?
Your assessment of Keshi's invitations should also include his failure to qualify for AFCON 2015.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:

The current SE squad players managed by the French agency DW Sports are Emmanuel Dennis, Samuel Kalu, Etebo Simon Moses, Onyekuru, Bryan Idowu and Andersen Esiti.
Of the 7 ( instead of 10 by the writer ), only 4 are regular call - ups Dennis, Kalu, Etebo and Moses, while the likes of Onyekuru Idowu and Esiti have fallen by the wayside due to the emergence of better players. Would anyone argue that those 4 players don't merit their invitation?
Your assessment of Keshi's invitations should also include his failure to qualify for AFCON 2015.
They are 10 in total: Ahmed Musa, Umar Aminu and Shehu Abdullahi are the others.
They have about 6 Turks, 3 Ivoriens, and one each from Brazil, Zim, Egypt, Senegal, Morrocco and France.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy wrote:
KPOM.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...some people want to make money so bad they keep putting this coaching brouhaha on the front page every few weeks.
We can't win the world cup with the inept management we have.
Certainly, may be, we can win with the players we have under proper and professional management.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:

They are 10 in total: Ahmed Musa, Umar Aminu and Shehu Abdullahi are the others.
They have about 6 Turks, 3 Ivoriens, and one each from Brazil, Zim, Egypt, Senegal, Morrocco and France.
Ahmed Musa and Shehu Abdullahi are no longer with DW Sports and Aminu Umar has never been selected by Rohr.
Elite Sports represents the Briticos Aina, Iwobi, Aribo etc.
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The players that Tony Harris represented when Keshi was the coach of the SE were:-
Papa Idris
Ahmed Musa
Reuben Gabriel
Michael Uchebo
Uche Nwofor
Elliot Omosuzi - The league one player with Leyton Orient, who they attempted to get a nationality switch from FIFA before the 2014 WC but it didn't come through and nothing was heard about it anymore.
I am happy
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Unbelievable. I just have to laugh.

Nobody has spoken of Rohr’s brother. He was next to Rohr in Russia the entire time lol. I have mentioned my Idowu reservations many times.

I don’t know if Rohr is eating from these deals but I do know we don’t spend numerous threads questioning his call-ups like we did with the late legend LOL.

Shina knows better sha.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Ugbowo wrote:Unbelievable. I just have to laugh.

Nobody has spoken of Rohr’s brother. He was next to Rohr in Russia the entire time lol. I have mentioned my Idowu reservations many times.

I don’t know if Rohr is eating from these deals but I do know we don’t spend numerous threads questioning his call-ups like we did with the late legend LOL.

Shina knows better sha.
You have an agenda. Rohr has integrity and committed to the Nigeria project (whatever that is).

His brother involvement is an anomaly. Please we can´t talk about Mr. Integrity like that.

Like Rohr CE spokesman said.... he is not interested in Rohr bother involvement. Case closed.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:

Shina knows better sha.
You have an agenda. Rohr has integrity and committed to the Nigeria project (whatever that is).

His brother involvement is an anomaly. Please we can´t talk about Mr. Integrity like that.

Like Rohr CE spokesman said.... he is not interested in Rohr bother involvement. Case closed.
Chief, we noticed that you have somehow missed a key part of Ugbowo's fair and balanced post.
Let me help you balance it again by highlight the part you missed:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:

Shina knows better sha.

Chief, we noticed that you have somehow missed a key part of Ugbowo's fair and balanced post.
Fabio and balance? You gotta be kidding! :lol: :lol:
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:

Shina knows better sha.

Fabio and balance? You gotta be kidding! :lol: :lol:
Mr I don´t have an agenda. Tell us about Rohr´s brother involvement.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Shina knows better sha.
Ugbowo, please give us a link where Rohr's brother is said to be Idowu's agent to balance out links where Adebayor and Pinnick openly accused Keshi.
Repeating what you saw in Russia does not amount to evidence just like my listening to a telephone conversation in which Keshi was talking about Oboabona's prospective transfer or what I was told by the Chairman of Sunshine Stars, the sharing formula involving Keshi for Oboabona's transfer to Turkey.
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:Chief, we noticed that you have somehow missed a key part of Ugbowo's fair and balanced post.
According to a certain CE logic, I only choose the paragraph that suits my agenda...
The last paragraph about being fair with player selection is what interests me.
So please!