Statement from Gehrnot Rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Statement from Gehrnot Rohr

Post by Dammy »

I am happy to confirm that we have come to an agreement to continue my work as head coach of the Super Eagles for the next two years and a half.

I want to say thank you to the Nigeria Football Federation led by President Amaju Pinnick, the Board and of course the General Secretary for their confidence in me to continue in this job. It is not common to have a country with the same national coach for what will be 6 years and this will be made possible because of the support of the federation, the government of Nigeria and our team.

We have a big project in front of us. We have the quality and with the continued cooperation of everyone concerned Including the fans and good people of Nigeria, I believe we will have a good result that will spell great development for football in Nigeria in the future.
I am happy
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Statement from Gehrnot Rohr

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mods no link abeg shangalo the thread
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Mods no link abeg shangalo the thread
I actually copied it from WhatsApp.
I am happy
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

You have his number?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

ROOOOHHHRRING TO THE FUTURE! CONGRATS TO ALL THE PEOPLE OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AND TERRITORIES. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

transformers are ready for haters to embrace. :taunt:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I wish we could all come together and support our darling team, The Super Eagles of Nigeria.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy,

You will be surprised that many actually support the renewal of Rohr's contract. I am certainly one of those that support the renewal for ONE MAJOR reason -- continuity. However, it is clear that he is on his last leg i.e. win laurels or be let go. I am glad that he is renewed for one basic fact -- that we need some stability and I believe this renewal gives that stability but he now needs to win to stay on, I hope. Additionally, he needs to make effort to genuinely scout players all over the world (including Nigeria). The perfunctory process of calling one or two local guys and ditching them just too show that he is interested in looking internally is not convincing. If the likes of Maduka Okoye are to get repeated chances, why not also the locals?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:Dammy,

You will be surprised that many actually support the renewal of Rohr's contract. I am certainly one of those that support the renewal for ONE MAJOR reason -- continuity. However, it is clear that he is on his last leg i.e. win laurels or be let go. I am glad that he is renewed for one basic fact -- that we need some stability and I believe this renewal gives that stability but he now needs to win to stay on, I hope. Additionally, he needs to make effort to genuinely scout players all over the world (including Nigeria). The perfunctory process of calling one or two local guys and ditching them just too show that he is interested in looking internally is not convincing. If the likes of Maduka Okoye are to get repeated chances, why not also the locals?

you speak of STABILITY being the major reason you support Rohr's contract renewal.

Well that same STABILITY is the reason why not every Tom, d#$%, and Harry will be called to camp to "fight for shirts"

Nobody will be called up to the team, unless they make a strong case to be better than the players already established under Rohr.

Our team is virtually set, at this point all positions are literally filled, save for the goalkeeping position which remains a problem spot.

If you are a local Nigerian player, meaning you play in the local leagues, YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be called up to the SE, and I hope that Rohr is not forced to make one or two symbolic callups to appease the proponents of the local league. That will be counter productive. Nigeria has literally thousands of (home born) players plying their trade abroad because the scouts saw something in them while they played in the local league, or when they trained as a youth in some academy.

Is it possible some home based gem may have fallen through the cracks and has not been snatched up ? Possible, yet highly improbable.

The only position I think Rohr should legitimately scout the local leagues for is perhaps goalkeeper, maybe he can even play a part in getting some young talents a contract in europe which would help his game.

As far as I am concerned we need a European based keeper, because the European game has far more emphasis on set pieces and heading the ball. This was a weakness of our team last WC. A goal keeper playing in the local leagues will not be exposed to the dangers of european set pieces and scoring headed goals off corner kicks. I would prefer a keeper exposed to this kind of play.

Our team is set bro. As I said unless a player can make a case to be better, there is no way he is getting in. Gone are the days when local coaches could just switch squads every game with the latest "hey you" hyped to be the next best thing in the NPL. Rohr even said this himself. Even a player like Ejuke tearing up the league in Holland has to wait his turn, and you think some home based player will be called up. Should not happen.

Again maybe another Musa comes along and tears up the local league at a young age, it would be up to Rohr and co. to scout this player and see if he has what it takes to displace somebody in the pecking order, but frankly Rohr should not waste too much time doing this because our team is pretty much set, and we dont really need anybody else. We need to work on integrating the new faces like

Ejuke, Dessers, Ezibuhe, Ejaria, Dennis, Maja, Sadiq, Adyborioyo, Lookman and see where they fit in to the current SE team, who displaces who, who starts, and what are our best formations. This is where the bulk of Rohr's time should be spent, monitoring these players and keeping up to date with their form. Not trying to discover something we likely do not need.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Give me 2 Pigs, 2 bottles of palm oil, 12 white pigeons, 2 yards of plain white cloth, 12 dried rats, some banana leaves and i promise you that I’ve will be at Barca next season. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote:

you speak of STABILITY being the major reason you support Rohr's contract renewal.

Well that same STABILITY is the reason why not every Tom, d#$%, and Harry will be called to camp to "fight for shirts"

Nobody will be called up to the team, unless they make a strong case to be better than the players already established under Rohr.

Our team is virtually set, at this point all positions are literally filled, save for the goalkeeping position which remains a problem spot.

If you are a local Nigerian player, meaning you play in the local leagues, YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be called up to the SE, and I hope that Rohr is not forced to make one or two symbolic callups to appease the proponents of the local league. That will be counter productive. Nigeria has literally thousands of (home born) players plying their trade abroad because the scouts saw something in them while they played in the local league, or when they trained as a youth in some academy.

Is it possible some home based gem may have fallen through the cracks and has not been snatched up ? Possible, yet highly improbable.

The only position I think Rohr should legitimately scout the local leagues for is perhaps goalkeeper, maybe he can even play a part in getting some young talents a contract in europe which would help his game.

As far as I am concerned we need a European based keeper, because the European game has far more emphasis on set pieces and heading the ball. This was a weakness of our team last WC. A goal keeper playing in the local leagues will not be exposed to the dangers of european set pieces and scoring headed goals off corner kicks. I would prefer a keeper exposed to this kind of play.

Our team is set bro. As I said unless a player can make a case to be better, there is no way he is getting in. Gone are the days when local coaches could just switch squads every game with the latest "hey you" hyped to be the next best thing in the NPL. Rohr even said this himself. Even a player like Ejuke tearing up the league in Holland has to wait his turn, and you think some home based player will be called up. Should not happen.

Again maybe another Musa comes along and tears up the local league at a young age, it would be up to Rohr and co. to scout this player and see if he has what it takes to displace somebody in the pecking order, but frankly Rohr should not waste too much time doing this because our team is pretty much set, and we dont really need anybody else. We need to work on integrating the new faces like

Ejuke, Dessers, Ezibuhe, Ejaria, Dennis, Maja, Sadiq, Adyborioyo, Lookman and see where they fit in to the current SE team, who displaces who, who starts, and what are our best formations. This is where the bulk of Rohr's time should be spent, monitoring these players and keeping up to date with their form. Not trying to discover something we likely do not need.
I agree with most of what you say apart from one key point you make i.e. "Our team is set"
You mentioned this a couple of times.
My position is that a team is never "set". There is always room for someone better to emerge and displace whoever is believed to be 'set' in the squad.
It is always better when players know they have to stay on top of their game and not take things for granted.

I would say we need to keep actively searching for even better players (abroad and at home) until we have a team bursting at the seams with some of the best players in the world wherever they might be.
That should be our overriding ambition and is why I can't understand this emotional clamour for local based players to be fast-tracked into the squad even when they are not deemed to be better than what we have.

On the one-hand we acknowledge the local league has been criminally neglected, but on the other we demand that we insist on recruiting the 'best' players from that same underperforming league into the SE.
And yet, we still want to compete globally, not even just on the continent. How does that even work?

We are limiting our ambitions when we say we are 'set', or when we say must give preference to an unofficial quota of local players. Or when we subtly talk down foreign-born Nigerians for whatever reason.

As you say, it is putting pressure on Rohr to compromise.
Why would any true lover of the SE want that?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

vancity eagle wrote:

I too agree with the general gist of this and 90% of it’s detail.
I also think we are not quite as set as Van suggests, in a few specific places:
- Ndidi needs an understudy
- In front of him, I think Etebo, Iwobi and Aribo need some competition. None has the ability to change the pace of the game, impose their will on it and maintain possession under pressure. I personally still feel Iwobi should be fighting for one of the front three positions as he really is not a central midfielder.

Which is another way of saying our midfield still needs work after years of Mikel (and Onazi) stability. Ndidi has too much work to do in this team.

Also, are we really set at full back? It’s not a disaster (and Awaziem has changed our calculus there), but surely Rohr wants another option on the left?

But otherwise, yes, I think the team is set. Very exciting times.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

waka-man wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

I too agree with the general gist of this and 90% of it’s detail.
I also think we are not quite as set as Van suggests, in a few specific places:
- Ndidi needs an understudy
- In front of him, I think Etebo, Iwobi and Aribo need some competition. None has the ability to change the pace of the game, impose their will on it and maintain possession under pressure. I personally still feel Iwobi should be fighting for one of the front three positions as he really is not a central midfielder.

Which is another way of saying our midfield still needs work after years of Mikel (and Onazi) stability. Ndidi has too much work to do in this team.

Also, are we really set at full back? It’s not a disaster (and Awaziem has changed our calculus there), but surely Rohr wants another option on the left?

But otherwise, yes, I think the team is set. Very exciting times.
For the midfield apart from Ndidi, Etebo, Iwobi, Aribo, Ejaria and Azeez... we drill have other fringe quality players like Kingsley Micheal and Igbekeme. So when all is said and done depending on the playing style we look to adopt, and how we intend to fit each players in that midfield into their different roles to produce some interesting dynamic... then we are more or less set in midfield. In attack we are overloaded sef, you know an attack is that stacked when an exciting player like Chidera Ejuke can't even get a look in just yet, I believe even good players like Ademola Lookman are at best bench players... that's how deep we are.

The areas we need to focus on now are the left back position (except Awaziem will just slot into that role if Collins doesn’t improve), but I heard Rohr is looking at a left back option in some lad called Zaidu Sanusi... and then we definitely need a solid back up GK to Uzoho. I haven't seen enough of Maduka yet to determine if he's that good, but hopefully we will get to see more of him when football is completely back.

in defense Rohr seriously wants to cap tie Jordan Torunarigha, he even watched him in action last weekend in his clubs win against Union Berlin...hopefully with the likes of Adarabioyo, Uduokhai and Jordan likely to make switches soon... we should be set in defence.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Rohr Gets 34months contract deal with NFF, Contract could end if Nigeria fails to qualify for AFCON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzm4YswkJU
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: The areas we need to focus on now are the left back position (except Awaziem will just slot into that role if Collins doesn’t improve), but I heard Rohr is looking at a left back option in some lad called Zaidu Sanusi... and then we definitely need a solid back up GK to Uzoho. I haven't seen enough of Maduka yet to determine if he's that good, but hopefully we will get to see more of him when football is completely back..
:source:

Video:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o6tys
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Purity wrote:Rohr Gets 34months contract deal with NFF, Contract could end if Nigeria fails to qualify for AFCON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzm4YswkJU
Qualify or WIN?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Zaidu looks like a fullback that likes to attack. Curious to see more of him.
Damunk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote: The areas we need to focus on now are the left back position (except Awaziem will just slot into that role if Collins doesn’t improve), but I heard Rohr is looking at a left back option in some lad called Zaidu Sanusi... and then we definitely need a solid back up GK to Uzoho. I haven't seen enough of Maduka yet to determine if he's that good, but hopefully we will get to see more of him when football is completely back..

Video:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

olu wrote:Zaidu looks like a fullback that likes to attack. Curious to see more of him.
Damunk wrote:

Video:
Zaidu's game closely resembles that of Mendy at Manchester City IMO. He's very good with crosses, I'm not too sure about his defending. I hope he's not another Stanley Amuzie!
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy wrote:
olu wrote:Zaidu looks like a fullback that likes to attack. Curious to see more of him.
Damunk wrote:

Video:
Zaidu's game closely resembles that of Mendy at Manchester City IMO. He's very good with crosses, I'm not too sure about his defending. I hope he's not another Stanley Amuzie!
Collins is not very good at defending either. He is always the weakest link.

Frankly I dont know why we dont play Aina at LB especially with Ezibuhue now an option at RB.

Aina has always done well at LB, there isn't really a difference in his game whether he plays left or right.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Video:
he looks a very good prospect from that video. Rohr should call him up. Collins needs competition, even though I dont think Collins should be starting ahead of Aina at LB.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I agree. I would start Aina over Collins at LB.
vancity eagle wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Video:
he looks a very good prospect from that video. Rohr should call him up. Collins needs competition, even though I dont think Collins should be starting ahead of Aina at LB.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

I would have gone with Amunike.

<<