Odion Ighalo considering return to the Super Eagles

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Odion Ighalo considering return to the Super Eagles

Post by Dammy »

According to various reports online, Manchester United striker, Odion Ighalo is considering making a U turn on his international retirement from the SE.
According to Ighalo, he's been constantly talking to the SE coach, Gerhnot Rohr and NFF President Pinnick. He claimed the long distance between China and Nigeria, and recovery time was one of the main reasons why he quit the SE. Now that he's in the UK, it will be more convenient for him to report for international duty.
What do CEs think?
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... a-18369575
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Odion Ighalo considering return to the Super Eagles

Post by vancity eagle »

He can get behind Osimehn and sit on the bench. No way should this guy even dream of starting for SE. No way.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote:He can get behind Osimehn and sit on the bench. No way should this guy even dream of starting for SE. No way.
I agree, he can't keep up with the pace the SE play at now. He can be an experienced sub, coming off the bench to hold the ball in tight games.
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

vancity eagle wrote:He can get behind Osimehn and sit on the bench. No way should this guy even dream of starting for SE. No way.
He should stay retired,his return could destabilize the team’s progress by talking time from Osihmen, nacho and Dessers.
OCCUPY NFF!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

He has done well for Nigeria. It is a good thing to be able to walk away on good terms. Most players are forced out on bad terms.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

No, please stay away. Too much baggage. Ighalo can be scoring every single goal for the team and people will still be complaining bitterly here about his inclusion.

Time to focus on new players like Osimhen and Cyriel Dessers if he makes the cut.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I welcome him....great job NFF..we need high profile players. Too many SE strikers play in trash leagues
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

If Ighalo can come to camp and prove himself better than Iheanacho and Dessers then I'm all for it.

My only potential problem is Rohrs insistence on sticking with older more established players despite them being inferior, out of loyalty. I feel Rohr may do that with Ighalo if he comes back.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I'm ok with Ighalo coming back as long he is in form and the coach feels like he has more to offer than one of the younger ones. Ighalo is also a very disciplined player and will be a great influence for the younger players in camp. He will probably not start ahead of Osimhen. Rohr started younger players ahead of Balogun and Mikel. He will not start Ighalo if the younger options are better.
vancity eagle wrote:If Ighalo can come to camp and prove himself better than Iheanacho and Dessers then I'm all for it.

My only potential problem is Rohrs insistence on sticking with older more established players despite them being inferior, out of loyalty. I feel Rohr may do that with Ighalo if he comes back.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

As if you guys don't know Rohr, if Ighalo comes back, he starts come rain, come shine ! The only issue here is Ighalo just doesn't fit the present eagles style of play, just too slow!...And let's be honest Osimhen is an all round better player with more potential.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

His form at Man United will decide. He is playing with his real age or close to his real age. He can still deliver.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The SE play with pace upfront since AFCON 2019 and Ighalo doesn't have the pace to keep up with the fast attack like Osimhen.
Rewind back to AFCON in Egypt and see how often Musa will burst with pace and put the ball into the box with no one there as Ighalo is lagging behind and can't keep up.
My first choice sub for Osimhen would be Musa, as he is more effective for Nigeria as a striker rather than a winger because of his final ball.
If Ighalo returns to the SE, he should be used in the same way Manchester United use him I.e. bring him on to use his experience to hold the ball in tight games.
I am happy
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

How can anyone criticise the return of the reigning Afcon top scorer (both in qualification and tournament) but say nothing about the pointless inclusion of Musa?
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Dammy wrote:The SE play with pace upfront since AFCON 2019 and Ighalo doesn't have the pace to keep up with the fast attack like Osimhen.
Rewind back to AFCON in Egypt and see how often Musa will burst with pace and put the ball into the box with no one there as Ighalo is lagging behind and can't keep up.
My first choice sub for Osimhen would be Musa, as he is more effective for Nigeria as a striker rather than a winger because of his final ball.
If Ighalo returns to the SE, he should be used in the same way Manchester United use him I.e. bring him on to use his experience to hold the ball in tight games.
What was Musa’s goal and assist record in the 2019 Afcon including qualifiers?
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Odion Ighalo is in better form than Musa as of today.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Purity wrote:Odion Ighalo is in better form than Musa as of today.
Absolutely his inclusion would be practical as he has proven he can still play at the highest level and still has the hunger.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Dammy wrote:The SE play with pace upfront since AFCON 2019 and Ighalo doesn't have the pace to keep up with the fast attack like Osimhen.
My point is that the SE play with a lot of pace upfront and even the best defences can be undone and unsettled by pace. Look back at the recent matches against Ukraine and Lesotho and see how many chances were created by the pace of the SE.
Imagine a scenario where a tiring Osimhen is replaced by an equally pacy Musa against a tiring defence, the SE will teams with pace, something Ighalo doesn't have.
Musa is not effective for Nigeria in the wings and has proven to be better while playing from centre. His 4 world cup goals are not a fluke!
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

gochino wrote:As if you guys don't know Rohr, if Ighalo comes back, he starts come rain, come shine ! The only issue here is Ighalo just doesn't fit the present eagles style of play, just too slow!...And let's be honest Osimhen is an all round better player with more potential.
Oh really?
So why did he not start v Argentina in the WC? :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
My point is that the SE play with a lot of pace upfront and even the best defences can be undone and unsettled by pace. Look back at the recent matches against Ukraine and Lesotho and see how many chances were created by the pace of the SE.
Imagine a scenario where a tiring Osimhen is replaced by an equally pacy Musa against a tiring defence, the SE will teams with pace, something Ighalo doesn't have.
Musa is not effective for Nigeria in the wings and has proven to be better while playing from centre. His 4 world cup goals are not a fluke!
I'd like to know how pacey Dessers is.
Quick transition is one thing I can agree is part of 'the Nigerian game'.
We could technically be the 'quickest' team in the world, and as long as we add accurate passing and clinical finishing, that will be a deadly cocktail of attributes.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

He should be used the same way United uses him because the SE and United plays the same way eh..Kai see logic :rotf: the highest Afcon scorer, the only Nigerian listed among APOY, the only Nigerian currently playing for a big club , shouldn't be selected because in your head he has no pace....smh... pace vs Benin and the almighty Lesotho...ok carry on
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
I'd like to know how pacey Dessers is.
Quick transition is one thing I can agree is part of 'the Nigerian game'.
We could technically be the 'quickest' team in the world, and as long as we add accurate passing and clinical finishing, that will be a deadly cocktail of attributes.
We definitely have one of the quickest attacks in world football we should play to our strengths.
I believe that the likes of Kingsley Michael and Alhassan Yusuf can add quick accurate passes to our forwards with Ndidi mopping up behind.
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
He should be used the same way United uses him because the SE and United plays the same way eh..Kai see logic :rotf: the highest Afcon scorer, the only Nigerian listed among APOY, the only Nigerian currently playing for a big club , shouldn't be selected because in your head he has no pace....smh... pace vs Benin and the almighty Lesotho...ok carry on
BP, in 1994, we had an European silver boot winner, Richard Owubokiri with 30 goals for Boavista, who was left out because his style didn't fit the SE under Westerhoff.
So it's nothing new if Ighalo doesn't fit the pacy game the SE are playing now despite his pedigree.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

In my view, Ighalo is making a mistake because if the coaches are fair then he more likely will be a bench player behind Osimhen if and when he returns. Osimhen makes us far more deadly. Sure, Ighalo has his strengths including drawing fouls and holding up the ball when we throw up very few in attack but Osimhen is far more versatile and has devastating pace. If he accepts a bench role and being used as a change up guy, then okay.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics