Odion Ighalo considering return to the Super Eagles

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Odion Ighalo considering return to the Super Eagles

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Dammy wrote:The SE play with pace upfront since AFCON 2019 and Ighalo doesn't have the pace to keep up with the fast attack like Osimhen.
Rewind back to AFCON in Egypt and see how often Musa will burst with pace and put the ball into the box with no one there as Ighalo is lagging behind and can't keep up.
My first choice sub for Osimhen would be Musa, as he is more effective for Nigeria as a striker rather than a winger because of his final ball.
If Ighalo returns to the SE, he should be used in the same way Manchester United use him I.e. bring him on to use his experience to hold the ball in tight games.
He should be used the same way United uses him because the SE and United plays the same way eh..Kai see logic :rotf: the highest Afcon scorer, the only Nigerian listed among APOY, the only Nigerian currently playing for a big club , shouldn't be selected because in your head he has no pace....smh... pace vs Benin and the almighty Lesotho...ok carry on
Were you not one of the loudmouths shouting that Rohr should not have played Ighalo at AFCON, but shoulda played Osimhen instead, even when Ighalo was proving you wrong per match, by scoring the goals that eventually got him the Golden Boot?
Oh, I forgot....
It wasn't about the facts of the matter as they were unfolding, but a visceral hatred for the coach.
So the facts didn't matter.

Now you are crying crocodile tears for Ighalo. Just yesterday you were still cussing Rohr for not fielding Osimhen:
BigFatPorkey wrote:This is the same **** who chose to bench Vic during AFCON, but now he is all over the media shouting about Vic joining a big club...smh
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=300500&start=23

Gerrarahia jor.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Nigeria played Madagascar. but that **** chose to bench VIC and he played that tall striker..smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Dammy Ricky was past it. He was 34 in 1994
SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:In my view, Ighalo is making a mistake because if the coaches are fair then he more likely will be a bench player behind Osimhen if and when he returns. Osimhen makes us far more deadly. Sure, Ighalo has his strengths including drawing fouls and holding up the ball when we throw up very few in attack but Osimhen is far more versatile and has devastating pace. If he accepts a bench role and being used as a change up guy, then okay.
What has Osimhen done for the SE to be crowned automatic starter? He must make us deadlier on paper, because he has played for Nigeria many times and we weren't any deadlier than when he wasn't on the pitch. If anything, it's Ighalo that has delivered time and time again for us. If Osimhen is better he will start ahead of Ighalo. Ighalo shouldn't have to be excluded for him (Osimhen) to be deadly for Nigeria. If Ighalo unretires, he should be invited. Let everyone fight for his spot.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Sentiments aside, Ighalo is still our best striker. That’s something you prove on the pitch and in spite of the unfair criticisms, he proved it. I wonder where some people’s heads are. The idea that the ACN golden ball winner is not good enough for the SE is just retarded❗️

Cheers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The funny thing is they call Ighalo slow..smh
SuperEagles

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:The funny thing is they call Ighalo slow..smh
Not slow, but lacks the breathtaking pace that Chukwueze, Osimhen, Kalu, Ejuke, Dennis and Moses Simon have.
I am happy
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Dammy wrote:
Not slow, but lacks the breathtaking pace that Chukwueze, Osimhen, Kalu, Ejuke, Dennis and Moses Simon have.
You mean all those players with breathtaking pace are the most wanted among top clubs like real, Barca, juve, united , Chelsea etc..ok
SuperEagles

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Dammy wrote:
You mean all those players with breathtaking pace are the most wanted among top clubs like real, Barca, juve, united , Chelsea etc..ok
Yea o! they're among the most wanted players in world football today with transfer values higher than Ighalo.
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote:According to various reports online, Manchester United striker, Odion Ighalo is considering making a U turn on his international retirement from the SE.
According to Ighalo, he's been constantly talking to the SE coach, Gerhnot Rohr and NFF President Pinnick. He claimed the long distance between China and Nigeria, and recovery time was one of the main reasons why he quit the SE. Now that he's in the UK, it will be more convenient for him to report for international duty.
What do CEs think?
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... a-18369575
Isn't that counter-narrative to what Rohr has been saying about building a team?

Nobe Ighalo way retire imsef?

Anyway, na Rohr sabi.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

gochino wrote:As if you guys don't know Rohr, if Ighalo comes back, he starts come rain, come shine ! The only issue here is Ighalo just doesn't fit the present eagles style of play, just too slow!...And let's be honest Osimhen is an all round better player with more potential.
From your statement it is clear that YOU don't know Rohr. What has happened recently, has Ahmed Musa (the team captain) started a single game since AFCON? Ighalo going by precedence would not be any different. His form will and adaptability to the current style of play will determine that.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:In my view, Ighalo is making a mistake because if the coaches are fair then he more likely will be a bench player behind Osimhen if and when he returns. Osimhen makes us far more deadly. Sure, Ighalo has his strengths including drawing fouls and holding up the ball when we throw up very few in attack but Osimhen is far more versatile and has devastating pace. If he accepts a bench role and being used as a change up guy, then okay.
What has Osimhen done for the SE to be crowned automatic starter? He must make us deadlier on paper, because he has played for Nigeria many times and we weren't any deadlier than when he wasn't on the pitch. If anything, it's Ighalo that has delivered time and time again for us. If Osimhen is better he will start ahead of Ighalo. Ighalo shouldn't have to be excluded for him (Osimhen) to be deadly for Nigeria. If Ighalo unretires, he should be invited. Let everyone fight for his spot.

What has he done? Osimhen is currently the top scorer in the current 2021 AFCON qualifiers. That he makes us more deadlier is A CLEAR FACT. He has only started 5 of his 9 caps he has for the SE and has 4 goals already. We create far more chances when he plays than when Ighalo does and he'e just starting while Ighalo is n his twilight years. it's a no brainer.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote:
gochino wrote:As if you guys don't know Rohr, if Ighalo comes back, he starts come rain, come shine ! The only issue here is Ighalo just doesn't fit the present eagles style of play, just too slow!...And let's be honest Osimhen is an all round better player with more potential.
From your statement it is clear that YOU don't know Rohr. What has happened recently, has Ahmed Musa (the team captain) started a single game since AFCON? Ighalo going by precedence would not be any different. His form will and adaptability to the current style of play will determine that.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
When people have their minds made up, facts don't matter - as long as the continued demonisation of Rohr is served.

I asked him, if his claim is true, why Ighalo didn't start vs Argentina at the World Cup.
E no answer me. :lol:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote:
1naija wrote:

What has he done? Osimhen is currently the top scorer in the current 2021 AFCON qualifiers. That he makes us more deadlier is A CLEAR FACT. He has only started 5 of his 9 caps he has for the SE and has 4 goals already. We create far more chances when he plays than when Ighalo does and he'e just starting while Ighalo is n his twilight years. it's a no brainer.
I am pretty certain Osimhen will start ahead of Ighalo.
I was in support of Ighalo starting as our no 1 at AFCON because I believed Osimhen was on the verge but not quite ready for the huge responsibility. Now th situation has changed.
Osimhen himself has said how he gets advice from his egbon, and is happy to benefit from Ighalo's experience.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Now that Osimhen is really growing into a solid, efficient and reliable player for us even at a very young age, some clowns are advocating a already retired and past it Ighalo to come back, and are even suggesting that be takes over the reins in that FWD position... like are Nigerians just particularly obsessed about young players who have the potential and tools to be leaders... not to blossom and grow? no wonder we keep voting old and expired cargoes like Buhari for goodness sake. We already have an exciting attack that has it all- speed, guile, youth and energy... what exactly will Ighalo come in and do that is any different or better than what he has offered us already? except you want us to go back to slow attacking build up play and ponderous one route football. Don't get me wrong, Ighalo has done very well for the NT, especially in his strengths as a striker who is good at hold up play and finishing the few chances he got etc, but right now I don't want to go back to the Ighalo and Mikel era when we played some slow and boring football... these guys have served us well and have rightfully retired... Biko let it stay like that way. Just add Chidera Ejuke, Sarenren-Bazee and Lookman to an already exciting attacking line up.. matter don finish be that.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

1naija wrote:
Right,give Oshimen time.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Ighalo and Rohr are both enemies of progress

I am half joking :biggrin:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote:
1Naija! Thanks for this piece. This is why I like you, bro.

Osimhen dis and Osimhen dat, I say na wetin him don do for us, eh? Mscheww!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ighalo should stay retired. Osimhen time is now and he should get all 90 minutes. He needs players like chukwuze that can keep up with him playing counter attack football.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Odas wrote:
1naija wrote:

When you have a Man Utd central striker uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?
When you have a Nantes Player of the Season uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?
When you have a Torino RB uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?
When you have two La Liga midfielders uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?
When you have a La Liga CD uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?

Bro, I think it tells you we are witnessing the beginnings of an 'abundance of riches' that we have not seen in decades. The fact that we are even debating these things shows we have come a long way from the 'Hey you!' days. :rotf:

Make we thank God and may it get even better.
And may the naysayers continue to gnash teeth at the mention of Rohr. :thumb:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
Odas wrote:
1naija wrote:

When you have a Man Utd central striker uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?
When you have a Nantes Player of the Season uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?
When you have a Torino RB uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?
When you have two La Liga midfielders uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?
When you have a La Liga CD uncertain of a starting position in the SE, what does that tell you?

Bro, I think it tells you we are witnessing the beginnings of an 'abundance of riches' that we have not seen in decades. The fact that we are even debating these things shows we have come a long way from the 'Hey you!' days. :rotf:

If ever there was a time for Rohr to for once win something in his career now is as good as it gets. At least we don’t have the excuse of not having enough quality all around (minus GK - where Rohr gets an F9) we have lots of suitable options coming of age.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Odas wrote:
1naija wrote:

If ever there was a time for Rohr to for once win something in his career now is as good as it gets. At least we don’t have the excuse of not having enough quality all around (minus GK - where Rohr gets an F9) we have lots of suitable options coming of age.
Absolutely right!
We all want that.

But like I said before, there are only two things he can possibly win: AFCON and the World Cup.
The error he and all of us should not make is to assume we are the only country in the world, or even in Africa, that have talented and top performing footballers. We might believe we have a talented pool, but Senegal might believe they have even better. If we beat them, it's not a crime. Its football.

If we have a legitimate right to aspire to win the World Cup, then other countries have the right to aspire to win AFCON. Bottom line is, no matter how gifted a country is, there are no guarantees and no 'birthrights'.
Believe you can get the prize, but don't think you're the only believer.