2018 FIFA WC - Nigeria vs Argentina Revisited.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
2018 FIFA WC - Nigeria vs Argentina Revisited.

Post by Otitokoro »

Men! This game was intense!
I can see why we lost - our major undoing was we had a very sluggish backline (Balogun, Troost and Omeruo).
Seriously speaking, we really have a lot of work to do, in order to compete against the big teams, especially psychologically. Musa was the only one who seemed to raise his game to the occasion.
Ighalo? Please! He needs to stay retired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8YkUtCvLQM[/video]
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2018 FIFA WC - Nigeria vs Argentina Revisited.

Post by Scipio Africanus »

We should have been up 3-1 before the Argies scored their late goal. We seem to play scared and jittery whenever we play them at the WC.

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote:We should have been up 3-1 before the Argies scored their late goal. We seem to play scared and jittery whenever we play them at the WC.
Otitokoro is spot on: it is psychological.
I believe that at the age-grade level, that psychological barrier does not exist due to decades of success against the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Scipio Africanus wrote:We should have been up 3-1 before the Argies scored their late goal. We seem to play scared and jittery whenever we play them at the WC.
We looked scared and jittery because, someone was telling the us: Argentinian players play in ECL, in the top clubs in Europe, we don´t have players, playing at that level, we are here to learn etc.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Otitokoro wrote:Men! This game was intense!
I can see why we lost - our major undoing was we had a very sluggish backline (Balogun, Troost and Omeruo).
Seriously speaking, we really have a lot of work to do, in order to compete against the big teams, especially psychologically. Musa was the only one who seemed to raise his game to the occasion.
The same Musa: We are told made the team based on quota system, is not good enough etc.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote:
The same Musa: We are told made the team based on quota system, is not good enough etc.
Yep. The same Musa.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

This game hurt me really badly. We should have won if we took our chances.The players that were not up to scratch are:
The left back from Russsia. His names escapes me. Not good at all!!
Etebo. He hugged the ball rather releasing it quickly which lead to a lot of give aways. Worked hard tho.
Ighalo. The worst of all. Kept missing chances after chances. I wished Musa played main striker and Iwobi played on the left.
Rohr has a lot of questions to be answered. I doubt he is a first rate Coach. He is not confident and too conservative. He hides under the guise of trying to stay humble.
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

I was a that game life and direct in the stadium. I cried that day and i still cried today watching the highlights again.. here were my observations; in the stadium, we had like 45K Argentines vs 2.5K Nigerians.. Some of the Argentines even had some of the NFF allocated tickets .. I dont know why on earth we agreed to wear our away jersey, that dark green instead of the bling bling when were the home side. Already in the organizational side, it is already 2-0 to Argentina.
On the field of play, you would notice from our tactical Organization, we had very few players upfront, most times, 1-2 versus 4-5 Argentines players. In the first 5mins Argentina was predominant, Uzoho really had a good game.. In the next 5-9 mins, we picked up, Iheanacho didnt take his half chances or pass or create or continue the play. he was really selfish. Twice Moses made the run in the blind alley and he refused to pass, the LB (Trafiligacio) wasn’t even with Moses and Iheanacho both times lost the ball to Otamendi and Mascherano. Mascherano was massive. Against this Argentine team, running or counter attack wasn’t helping, hence Iheanacho was useless. Musa was on another level that day.
Then within the 5-9min, our slow defense was pushing up gradually, Argentina went the long ball route, Balogun fouled Di Maria, that could have been a RED card to Balogun, but due to Omeruo closing up, he just had a yellow or perhaps a kind referee. The second long ball this time from Banega , Ndidi should have cut this off earlier with a handball, if he knew his defense was out of position. Omeruo and Idowu tried, however Messi control was superb, he controlled twice and that sealed the goal. The Eagles tried to get back into the game, Musa tormenting his markers and Iheanacho was bullied by the Argentine defense. Rohr subbing in Ighalo turned Eagles attack ON in the second half, with his presence the Eagles could attack a seating defense. Ighalo really did well, but didn’t have his scoring boots on and wasn’t in a purple patch of goal scoring during the world cup. The corner kick which the pk came was from him, he forced a save from the Gk, missed a sitter after Rojo unintentional hand ball. From the referee point of view it was tough to award.
Another clear observation, from the 60th minutes, Victor Moses legs were gone, all the forward runs he made without receiving the ball was now beginning to tell. Argentine coach specially made substitutions to attack Moses wing. Rohr could have gone 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 just to protect that wing, Idowu was doing a good job on the other side. They were two chances earlier for Argentina from that Moses wing which they didn’t covert.
Finally, Rohr tried a bit, but he some lapses, he was more tensed than usual, he should have made his substitutions early, like from 70mins, Iwobi for Moses to protect that wing. In the near future, for the next World Cup against big teams, we should learn to attack with 3-4 players in transition and 5- 6 players should be able to protect the team. Attacking with 1-2 players in transition and 1 player arriving later (like Moses) in the first half against Argentina twice doesn’t really help. At WC2018, our 3CMFs were basically doing the same thing. Etebo started slowly in that game, Rohr was really conservative. I am very happy with Aribo addition (we need more of those type of players), because he runs into the box from the center and can score goals from that position unlike Mikel and Etebo (from the arriving into the box position). If Etebo was in that mold of getting goals from that running CMF positions, the Eagles could have qualified from that group.
For Rohr to get better improved results, he needs to get a quicker back line, unlike for the WC2018, playing a 3CMFs just to protect that back line, get goal scorers from the running CMFs and also develop a transition game that allows 3 to 4 players get involved and+1 arriving later.
I still weep for the Nigerian National team.. But Uzoho, Musa should be proud of their world cup performance.
afc##
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

highbury wrote:This game hurt me really badly. We should have won if we took our chances.The players that were not up to scratch are:
Etebo. He hugged the ball rather releasing it quickly which lead to a lot of give aways. Worked hard tho.
Ighalo. The worst of all. Kept missing chances after chances. I wished Musa played main striker and Iwobi played on the left.
Rohr has a lot of questions to be answered. I doubt he is a first rate Coach. He is not confident and too conservative. He hides under the guise of trying to stay humble.
No. Rohr is the best coach according to Iwobi.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

fabio wrote:
highbury wrote:This game hurt me really badly. We should have won if we took our chances.The players that were not up to scratch are:
No. Rohr is the best coach according to Iwobi.
Jeez! can't the young man have an opinion again? na wa ooo...
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

I have never seen a team play so scared that they didn't trust themselves to do anything with the ball except there was an emerging counter attack and even then, they had zero ideas! Wonder what Herr Rohr gave them to eat that night. May we never see such a frightened and timid Super eagles again.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Honestly we gave the Argies way too much respect than they deserved.. that was probably the easiest Argentina team we ever faced even with Messi.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

gochino wrote:I have never seen a team play so scared that they didn't trust themselves to do anything with the ball except there was an emerging counter attack and even then, they had zero ideas! Wonder what Herr Rohr gave them to eat that night. May we never see such a frightened and timid Super eagles again.
The most annoying thing is that the Argentines were carelessly and arrogantly throwing men forward in numbers in desperation to score (as I believe a draw would seen them go out)... perfect recipe for counter attacking football right there. France later showed how's its done, we played so timid and didn't play to our advantage (speed and power). Honestly I feel like if we had players like Aribo and Ejaria in that team, we would have won.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I was at the stadium. It was painful to see how we kept on retreating when we could have hit the Argentines late in the game. It was a long journey back to London.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

But they shout that we are organized and we have a good defensive coach...since the 3 zero lost to Algeria during the WCQs the SE has bee on a free fall. Any team with a decent attack will cause us serious trouble . The Afcon we let in 7 goals, that was a record. Lesotho and Benin also scored on us. We aren't going anywhere with ****
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

gochino wrote:I have never seen a team play so scared that they didn't trust themselves to do anything with the ball except there was an emerging counter attack and even then, they had zero ideas! Wonder what Herr Rohr gave them to eat that night. May we never see such a frightened and timid Super eagles again.
This is what Rohr gave the boys:
"We were 2-0 down at half-time but went on to win 4-2. Lionel Messi didn't play in that game but we scored four wonderful goals. That gives the boys hope. We're ambitious underdogs."

"You have to put Argentina's so-called weakness into perspective," Rohr added. "They had bad luck with the penalty in their first game, and the outcome would've been different if that had gone in.

"They've got one of the best players in the world and have unbelievable quality throughout the team. But it just goes to show that you can't plan for everything. That's part of the game's appeal.

"We have youthful abandon, enthusiasm and desire. And most of our players want to get to where the Argentines already are - the very top."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44606401
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

If Rohr plays coward football in the next tournament, he would be releived. But however our team was in low confidence going to the world Cup. Defense was conceeding and attack wasnt scoring until Musa found his shoes.. During the preparations, it concinced with the fasting season, hence Musa wasnt playing much.. It was only Musa that was in form amongst the strikers..
afc##
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

chuks69 wrote:If Rohr plays coward football in the next tournament, he would be releived. But however our team was in low confidence going to the world Cup. Defense was conceeding and attack wasnt scoring until Musa found his shoes.. During the preparations, it concinced with the fasting season, hence Musa wasnt playing much.. It was only Musa that was in form amongst the strikers..
Musa is a tournament player, and balls be it.AFCON 13, WC 14 and 18
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Selective memory.
You didn't see that one v Argentina in 2014?
For real?
You have conveniently forgotten Enyeama's heroics. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
Selective memory.
For real?
Bros, the team in 2014 played a much better game against a much MUUUUUCH better Argentina (who won all their matches on the way to the Final barely losing to Germany in overtime) with a very much in form Messi. But, were again undone by an unfortunate bounce on that corner kick that Rojo had no clue about just hit him and went in. I was really proud that day, remember watching it with coworkers how they were telling me they see why we are African champions you guys are fighters. It simply wasn't the same pride in 2018 against a much lesser Argentina team struggling to get out of the group, thanking us for giving them a chance by beating Iceland (knowing full well they will beat us).

The likes of Emenike, Musa, and Odemwingie in 2014 were super confident players who didn't play scared, talk less of Ambrose that kept overlapping all day (leaving big gaps lol, but adventurous and attacking), to Onazi in midfield strutting his stuff, even normally useless players like Micheal Babatunde were performing and looking up to the challenge, driving at the Argies and providing Musa with the assist for his first equalizer...Yes Enyeama had to pull off heroics on Messi's FK's, WPOY was in the form of his life. But we didn't just try to absorb their pressure and fall into a shell. We didn't play scared, even Enyeama was joking with Messi before and during the game started showing how relaxed and comfortable the boys were, knowing the Argentines don't have two heads.

I think you are the one having selective memory here...with Argentina's fire power of course they will create chances, but I think most peoples comments relates to our style and how we set up to play. Trying to match them in 2014 as opposed to being in a shell trying to soak up and pray for a counter goal like we tried in 2018, 2010 and 2002 (all very disappointing displays with us being played off the park...). Of course all times we lost, so looking at things from a results POV there was no difference, but there is the eye test and there is the wonders that standing up to Messi and taking it to them has done for the career of the likes of Musa, there is no game he plays that the commentators don't mention his heroics even in a losing effort, so to me its always better to go out swinging than cowering in fear and going out with a whimper.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

I was at the stadium.
More importantly, I was out our team's hotel the night before the game.
I saw at least four of our starters still up at the hotel lobby late at night.
One or two of them appears hunting for good Toto.
No camp rules?
Una no go rest well for tomorrow match?

Cmoke
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Selective memory.
For real?
Bros, the team in 2014 played a much better game against a much MUUUUUCH better Argentina (who won all their matches on the way to the Final barely losing to Germany in overtime) with a very much in form Messi. But, were again undone by an unfortunate bounce on that corner kick that Rojo had no clue about just hit him and went in. I was really proud that day, remember watching it with coworkers how they were telling me they see why we are African champions you guys are fighters. It simply wasn't the same pride in 2018 against a much lesser Argentina team struggling to get out of the group, thanking us for giving them a chance by beating Iceland (knowing full well they will beat us).

The likes of Emenike, Musa, and Odemwingie in 2014 were super confident players who didn't play scared, talk less of Ambrose that kept overlapping all day (leaving big gaps lol, but adventurous and attacking), to Onazi in midfield strutting his stuff, even normally useless players like Micheal Babatunde were performing and looking up to the challenge, driving at the Argies and providing Musa with the assist for his first equalizer...Yes Enyeama had to pull off heroics on Messi's FK's, WPOY was in the form of his life. But we didn't just try to absorb their pressure and fall into a shell. We didn't play scared, even Enyeama was joking with Messi before and during the game started showing how relaxed and comfortable the boys were, knowing the Argentines don't have two heads.

I think you are the one having selective memory here...with Argentina's fire power of course they will create chances, but I think most peoples comments relates to our style and how we set up to play. Trying to match them in 2014 as opposed to being in a shell trying to soak up and pray for a counter goal like we tried in 2018, 2010 and 2002 (all very disappointing displays with us being played off the park...). Of course all times we lost, so looking at things from a results POV there was no difference, but there is the eye test and there is the wonders that standing up to Messi and taking it to them has done for the career of the likes of Musa, there is no game he plays that the commentators don't mention his heroics even in a losing effort, so to me its always better to go out swinging than cowering in fear and going out with a whimper.

did you just make the very same argument I and others have been making , that "result isn't everything"
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Armchair coaching 2yrs later is a waste of time. We lost to a better team, that’s all that happened. On to 2022! :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!