The Tragic Story of Wilfred Agbonavbare

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Sad ending.

https://breakingthelines.com/historical/11056/

June 12, 2020 Historical

An idol in Spain and a champion in Nigeria, ex Rayo Vallecano goalkeeper Wilfred Agbonavbare faced racism and prejudice throughout his seven years in Spain, before retiring at 31 years old due to a lack of teams that were willing to take a chance on him.

After his retirement, the Lagos native settled in Madrid and bounced around from job to job, working as a delivery man and a goalkeeper coach. He lost his wife to cancer in 2012, and three years later, he passed away at the age of 48 from the same disease. At the time of his death, he was unemployed and seeking financial aid from Nigerians and the Nigerian government.

But before life’s obstacle course ensnared him in its trap, Willy, as he was known back then, built an impressive reputation for himself as a goalkeeper, beginning his career at 16 years of age.

Early Beginnings in Lagos

Born in Lagos, Nigeria on October 5, 1966, Agbonavbare began his career in 1983 for New Nigerian Bank FC, a team based in Benin City. He remained there for six years before joining Gboko-based BCC Lions. His excellent performances between the sticks called the attention of Rayo Vallecano, who signed him in 1990.

At the international level, he started in goal for the Super Eaglets in the 1983 FIFA World Youth Championships in Mexico. Nigeria crashed out at the group stage, but that didn’t stop him from amassing 15 caps for the senior team. While he played second fiddle to Peter Rufai, he made history in 1994 by winning the African Cup of Nations and being called up for the FIFA World Cup — Nigeria’s first ever appearance in a World Cup.

Despite retiring a year earlier, there were still expectations that ‘Willy’ would be called up for the 1998 World Cup in France. However, while he entered in the preliminary list for the tournament, then manager Bora Milutinović went with FC Sion’s Abiodun Baruwa in his place.

Rise to Fame in Vallecas

Between 1990 to 1996, Agbonavbare played in 177 matches for Los Vallecanos, 76 of which came in Spain’s first division. The Nigerian spent his first two seasons in Iberia playing in the Segunda, before becoming an undisputed starter in his second season and leading Rayo to promotion.

On December 6, 1992, he had one of the best performances of his career, against Benito Floro’s Real Madrid. The Franjirrojos scored twice in the first half, but Los Blancos responded with a flurry of attacks. Nevertheless, Agonavbare was up to the task, producing a plethora of incredible saves to keep a clean sheet. With each save, the Vallecas faithful chanted, “Willy, Willy!”

In the return fixture on May 9, Agonavbare not only saved Míchel’s penalty, but managed a number of incredible saves to earn a point at the Santiago Bernabéu. Real Madrid would go on to lose the title by one point to Johan Cruyff’s Barcelona; the Blaugranas can thank Rayo’s Nigerian goalkeeper for their 1992-93 championship.

These incredible performances left a sour taste in the mouths of Madrid fans, who shouted racist insults at him during the match. “Negro, cabrón, recoge el algodón.” “Black, *kindperson*, pick the cotton.” They also chanted “Ku Klux Klan” at him.

One middle-aged Madrid fan even exclaimed in Spanish, “The %$#@^& black guy of Rayo is to blame,” on live television, much to the amusement of the teenage fans surrounding him. One younger fan said, “We are going to beat up the black son of a *Nice Lady* of Vallecas on Sunday, at least I am.”

When asked after the match about the racist abuse he suffered, Agonavbare responded, “It’s normal, I’m black, and having made as many saves as I did today, I expected them to shout at me. But I’m a footballer and it’s nothing, I’m only concentrated on the match.”

After the disgusting racist incident, the Bukaneros, an extreme wing of the Rayo Vallecano fanbase, emerged with a mission plan dedicated to fighting discrimination of any kind. With a left-leaning, anti-fascist philosophy, the Bukaneros are far more than any regular ultra group.

Retirement and Post-Playing Career

In the 1995-96 season, Agonavbare lost his starting spot to ex Spanish international Abel Resino. In search of playing time, he joined second-division side Écija, but after the Andalusian side was relegated to the third tier, the Nigerian’s contract was not renewed. He spent a year training in order to stay fit and prepare for a new opportunity, but without any offers, he retired at the age of 31.

He remained in the Madrid area, working as a goalkeeper coach and a deliveryman for a mail service. In 2012, his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, and Agonavbare had to scrape together the little money he had to pay for her medical treatment. After she passed away, he switched jobs, working as a baggage and cargo handler at Madrid’s Barajas Airport.

In the final months of 2014, Agonavbare was diagnosed with cancer. Unable to return home to see his children, who he had not seen in nearly 10 years, the Bukaneros raised money so that his children could visit him one last time.

One Rayo fan, who himself had been aided financially by other Rayo supporters, donated the majority of the funds to meet the campaign’s goal. However, his children’s visit was delayed due to visa problems, and on January 27, 2015, Agonavbare died alone.

Legacy in Vallecas

It’s been over 24 years since Agonavbare last played for Rayo, and yet, he is still fondly remembered by the fanbase. In 2011, he was invited to participate in the 15th annual “Anti-Racism Week,” an event organized by Rayo supporters to combat racial discrimination.

As a tribute, one of the entrances to the Estadio de Vallecas is named after him, titled, “Willy Forever.” On the top left corner, the dedication reads, “For your defense of the red stripe and your fight against racism, Rayismo will never forget you.”

By: Karoline Tavares of Ponta de Lança

Translated by: Zach Lowy
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Aswani
Egg
Egg
Re: The Tragic Story of Wilfred Agbonavbare

Post by Aswani »

I always had him down as an out an out Bini boy, I think he played for Edokpolor grammar school as well.

A real shame the way he passed, he was excellent at NNB.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Very underrated goalkeeper. He was Nigeria's most high profile goalkeeper in 1994 and many European commentators couldn't understand why he was on the bench in 1994 WC.
Tragic ending.
I am happy
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Really sad to hear this story :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by Toxicarrow on Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Dammy wrote:Very underrated goalkeeper. He was Nigeria's most high profile goalkeeper in 1994 and many European commentators couldn't understand why he was on the bench in 1994 WC.
Tragic ending.
He kept in several qualifiers for the 1994 World Cup and AFCON. Significantly, he was in goal away in Algeria the night we qualified for the World Cup by drawing 1-1. Great goalkeeper.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Sad. Naija should learn to take care of their own

RIP Agbona "Basket"
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Rawlings wrote:Sad. Naija should learn to take care of their own

RIP Agbona "Basket"
Not the time for your stupid Nigeria bashing. Grow up or leave.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Dammy wrote:Very underrated goalkeeper. He was Nigeria's most high profile goalkeeper in 1994 and many European commentators couldn't understand why he was on the bench in 1994 WC.
Tragic ending.
The SE match in the defunct WAFU Cup against Togo(?) in Benin Republic(?) did him in. Can't remember the year again. But in That match SE was leading 2-1 with Willy in the post. Then light in the stadium went off. Light came back and the match resumed. At the end SE lost 4-2 and he was UNJUSTLY blamed for the lost and given a nickname he never couldn't get rid of. From then on, despite his ratings in Europe SE handlers never trusted him well enough to be #1. A very well under rated goalie.
May his simple soul rest in perfect peace.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Is that Ben Iroha in the picture with him?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

RIP Agbona "Basket"
This is extremely stupid of you! Is this meant to be a joke?
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

deanotito wrote:Is that Ben Iroha in the picture with him?
IK Uche.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:

RIP Agbona "Basket"
This is extremely stupid of you! Is this meant to be a joke?
The guy is just....sick.
Revolting.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

RIP Agbona "Basket"
Very insensitive of you. Now eat "^&! and die!!
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Wilfred was the starter for most of the 94 world cup qualifiers and was actually pretty good in goal for most of the qualifiers. The team always seemed to conceed a goal late in most of the qualifiers, even in the games we won. Not sure if he was blamed for that. Rufai was recalled shortly before the 94 CAN and world cup proper and Wilfred lost his starting spot.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Aswani wrote:I always had him down as an out an out Bini boy, I think he played for Edokpolor grammar school as well.

He went to the 1983 Youth tournament in the midst of his WAEC exam. Yes he was with Edokpolor grammar school. I think he even missed some matches.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

azuka wrote:
Tragic ending.
The SE match in the defunct WAFU Cup against Togo(?) in Benin Republic(?) did him in. Can't remember the year again. But in That match SE was leading 2-1 with Willy in the post. Then light in the stadium went off. Light came back and the match resumed. At the end SE lost 4-2 and he was UNJUSTLY blamed for the lost and given a nickname he never couldn't get rid of. From then on, despite his ratings in Europe SE handlers never trusted him well enough to be #1. A very well under rated goalie.
I think the match ended 5-2. Yes he conceded some funny goals that day. The memorable one was when he was suppose to kick the ball (I think it was a back pass) and he kicked the air and the ball just rolled into the net. There was another cross (was it a corner) that he just parried into the net similar to Fregene vs Zambia in Libya ANC.

That Togo match affected his confidence with fans never trusting him.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

wanaj0 wrote:
Aswani wrote:I always had him down as an out an out Bini boy, I think he played for Edokpolor grammar school as well.

He went to the 1983 Youth tournament in the midst of his WAEC exam. Yes he was with Edokpolor grammar school. I think he even missed some matches.
He missed the first match against USSR and came in at half time for Patrick Udoh in the 2nd game against Brazil with Nigeria 3-0 down and that was the final score. He kept in the final group match against a Holland team led by a young Marco Van Basten. He didn't concede a goal in the U20 WC in Mexico.
I am happy
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

wanaj0 wrote:
azuka wrote:
Tragic ending.
I think the match ended 5-2. Yes he conceded some funny goals that day. The memorable one was when he was suppose to kick the ball (I think it was a back pass) and he kicked the air and the ball just rolled into the net. There was another cross (was it a corner) that he just parried into the net similar to Fregene vs Zambia in Libya ANC.

Yes the match ended 5-2. And not only the fans, even subsequent SE coaches never trusted him again.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

azuka wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
azuka wrote:
Tragic ending.

Yes the match ended 5-2. And not only the fans, even subsequent SE coaches never trusted him again.
I watched the SE play against Zimbabwe in an AFCON qualifier in 1989 at the Adamasingba Stadium in Ibadan. Wilfred was in goal any anytime the ball went into the SE box, the fans were shouting " eh eh eh", as if expecting some calamity. We won 3-0 but the reaction of the fans would have done nothing for his confidence.
I am happy