‘Thunder’ Balogun scored only 2 goals for Nigeria - Odegbami

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ukwala
Egg
Egg
‘Thunder’ Balogun scored only 2 goals for Nigeria - Odegbami

Post by ukwala »

“Despite being described as one of the greatest players and goal scorers in Nigeria’s football history, Teslim ‘Thunder’ Balogun, only scored 2 goals for Nigeria during his entire career. He scored both goals in a single match against Gold Coast (Ghana) in 1954.”
https://mathematical7.com/m7/what-do-yo ... ew_id=2404
Plus other interesting facts about Nigerian football
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ‘Thunder’ Balogun scored only 2 goals for Nigeria - Odeg

Post by jette1 »

demystification
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

16. Sunday Oliseh, played 35 times, and scored only 2 goals during his entire career in the national team.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

That's surprising. With all the myths we heard growing up about his lethal shots.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

olu wrote:That's surprising. With all the myths we heard growing up about his lethal shots.
not surprise at all; falls into case of 'seeing 2 balls' stories peddled in those days of no camera, no tv

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...he is famed for thunderous shots not scoring goals hence the name "Thunder". We heard his shots tear nets (that's side netting tear) :winking:
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

mcal wrote:...he is famed for thunderous shots not scoring goals hence the name "Thunder". We heard his shots tear nets (that's side netting tear) :winking:
Actually he take shot tear pesin belle
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

gochino wrote:16. Sunday Oliseh, played 35 times, and scored only 2 goals during his entire career in the national team.
One of which was the bulala against Spain in the 1998 world cup.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

That surprises me about Madu. Isn't he meant to be a legend?
ukwala wrote:Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

olu wrote:That surprises me about Madu. Isn't he meant to be a legend?
ukwala wrote:Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.
how did we start talking about goals scored and now to appearances by midfielders

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This is what happens when very very old people like yemibrassiere narrate eye witness accounts of games they saw in their 30s ...they make up and embellish the facts.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

jette1 wrote:
how did we start talking about goals scored and now to appearances by midfielders

It’s all in the referenced Odegbami’s article, part of the “plus other interesting facts about Nigerian football”.
This post is not only about Thunder Balogun but the whole article by Odegbami. The title block can only take so many letters.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

He is a legend who came back to Nigeria in his twilight years and had to contend with the sitting legend in Muda Lawal
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

paj wrote:
mcal wrote:...he is famed for thunderous shots not scoring goals hence the name "Thunder". We heard his shots tear nets (that's side netting tear) :winking:
Actually he take shot tear pesin belle
That's the one I heard. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Oya back to the matter
open and close
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Clearly these guys were in the 40s, yet were still under tutelage. Explains 3SC tutelage system...
Prince wrote:Image
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

I get this feeling that the Yoruba/West would just be another Togo or Benin if it were not for Lagos, 1naija's people and Nigeria.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

ANC wrote:I get this feeling that the Yoruba/West would just be another Togo or Benin if it were not for Lagos, 1naija's people and Nigeria.
You mean the likes of Adebayor, Alaba etc would get a chance to play for Nigeria :sneaky: :sneaky: Just wondering what you mean
Oya back to the matter
open and close
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

People said that Ghana won African Cup of Nations.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Prince wrote:
ANC wrote:I get this feeling that the Yoruba/West would just be another Togo or Benin if it were not for Lagos, 1naija's people and Nigeria.
You mean the likes of Adebayor, Alaba etc would get a chance to play for Nigeria :sneaky: :sneaky: Just wondering what you mean
don't mind that ghanian
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I am surprised by the comments made here. It only shows how much many do not know about Nigeria's football history. First of all, Balogun played in only 11 games for Nigeria which isn't many but it also explains why he scored few goals. Although, you could argue that the average per game is also low. However, bear in mind, that Balogun's legendary status was never with the Nigerian national team but was accomplished in the Challenge Cup. Furthermore, it is remarkable that his career started before Nigeria even had a national team and yet he ended up playing 11 years in the national team, a feat that even today's players will have difficulty achieving.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Enugu II wrote:I am surprised by the comments made here. It only shows how much many do not know about Nigeria's football history. First of all, Balogun played in only 11 games for Nigeria which isn't many but it also explains why he scored few goals. Although, you could argue that the average per game is also low. However, bear in mind, that Balogun's legendary status was never with the Nigerian national team but was accomplished in the Challenge Cup. Furthermore, it is remarkable that his career started before Nigeria even had a national team and yet he ended up playing 11 years in the national team, a feat that even today's players will have difficulty achieving.
Oga Enugu II:
Similar to you, Kunle Solaja in his book (Super Eagles: Through the Ages) also wrote about Balogun's legendary status in the Challenge Cup as well as Balogun's professional soccer career in England (with Peterborough United, Queens Park Rangers and etal). The 11 years timeline was also stated. The key difference between the two of you is the number of caps. He noted that the Balogun had 6 international caps ( Debut: Oct 8, 1949: Nigeria vs Sierra Leone). For my own personal "edification", just wondering if there were some games that he missed or the ones you added that might have been omitted by Kunle Solaja?

Nonetheless, his explanation for Balogun' small number caps, despite the legendary status, is that Nigerian national team had fewer fixtures or relatively small number of international games in those days.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/