‘Thunder’ Balogun scored only 2 goals for Nigeria - Odegbami

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

heavyd
Egg
Egg
Re: ‘Thunder’ Balogun scored only 2 goals for Nigeria - Odeg

Post by heavyd »

Enugu II wrote:I am surprised by the comments made here. It only shows how much many do not know about Nigeria's football history. First of all, Balogun played in only 11 games for Nigeria which isn't many but it also explains why he scored few goals. Although, you could argue that the average per game is also low. However, bear in mind, that Balogun's legendary status was never with the Nigerian national team but was accomplished in the Challenge Cup. Furthermore, it is remarkable that his career started before Nigeria even had a national team and yet he ended up playing 11 years in the national team, a feat that even today's players will have difficulty achieving.
Also the fact that Nigeria played very few games in the 50's when Balogun was at his prime contributed to the low amount of caps.

From my recollection though he did not play 11 games (my records show the 5 below - minus the 1949 game which i missed out in my book :) )

11/10/1953 - vs Gold Coast (Ghana)
30/10/1954 - vs Gold Coast (Ghana)
21/11/1959 - vs Ghana
29/10/1960 - vs Ghana
19/11/1960 - vs Ghana
YNWA
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

heavyd wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I am surprised by the comments made here. It only shows how much many do not know about Nigeria's football history. First of all, Balogun played in only 11 games for Nigeria which isn't many but it also explains why he scored few goals. Although, you could argue that the average per game is also low. However, bear in mind, that Balogun's legendary status was never with the Nigerian national team but was accomplished in the Challenge Cup. Furthermore, it is remarkable that his career started before Nigeria even had a national team and yet he ended up playing 11 years in the national team, a feat that even today's players will have difficulty achieving.
Also the fact that Nigeria played very few games in the 50's when Balogun was at his prime contributed to the low amount of caps.

From my recollection though he did not play 11 games (my records show the 5 below - minus the 1949 game which i missed out in my book :) )

8/10/1949 v S/Leone (Freetown)
30/10/1954 - vs Gold Coast (Ghana) -- 2 goals
?/5/58 v UK [Olympic squad]
25/10/1959 -- v Ghana
21/11/1959 - vs Ghana
29/10/1960 - vs Ghana [I have this as played on 28/10/1960]
19/11/1960 - vs Ghana [This game was v Egypt and not Ghana]
Heavyd,

Not sure how I typed 11 games! LOL. However, he played more than the games you listed above. I added them above in red. I assume you are listed the day before the moth (?). In any case, there are two games or so where we have a date difference by a day.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You people are confusing us. The Odegbami's point was that he only scored 2 goals for Nigeria despite being described as the greatest goal scorer in Nigeria history.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

All you young people.
Stop confusing other young people.
You were not even born then.
You did not even see them play.
For Balogun he scored 2 goals, period; stop the debate.
Why is English language so difficult to understand or comprehend?

I saw them play: Okere 1, Ironkwe, Balogun etc, etc, etc.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Enugu II wrote:
heavyd wrote:

25/10/1959 -- v Ghana
21/11/1959 - vs Ghana
Heavyd,

Not sure how I typed 11 games! LOL. However, he played more than the games you listed above. I added them above in red. I assume you are listed the day before the moth (?). In any case, there are two games or so where we have a date difference by a day.
EII

Yes the dates are listed as everyone (except the US) writes dates :D and yes his last game was against Egypt not Ghana (copy and paste error lol)

I have a couple of questions though...

Where did this game against the UK olympic squad take place and what was the score?
I cant seem to find any records of the GB Olympic team playing Nigeria (or any other team in 1958) in the runup to the 1960 Olympics. In fact trials for the UK Olympic team started in late 1959.

25/10/1959 -- v Ghana
The above match was the second leg of an Olympic qualifier and my lineup for the game was
Omiunu - Nnando - Okoye - Imade - Achebe - Onyeador - Fayemi - Onyeali - Uwulaka - Onyeawuna - Ohiri
Balogun did not play in the first leg on 10/10/1959.

From my research Balogun was ineligible to play in these games because he had been playing professional football previously and could not play in the Olympics as it was at that time still classed as an amateur event.

extract of the IOC rules as at 1958
GENERAL RULES OF THE OLYMPIC GAMES

Definition of an Amateur
An amateur is one who participates and always has participated in sport solely for pleasure and for the physical, mental or social benefits he derives therefrom, and to whom participation in sport is nothing more than recreation without material gain of any kind, direct or indirect. In addition, he must comply with the rules of the International
f'ederation concerned.
Would be interesting to see the lineups you have for both Olympic qualifiers.
YNWA
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

1naija wrote:You people are confusing us. The Odegbami's point was that he only scored 2 goals for Nigeria despite being described as the greatest goal scorer in Nigeria history.
Enugu II has already explained that his exploits were limited to club football.

Remember at that time Nigerian football was limited to the knockout football competition called the Governors (Challenge) cup with teams initially all from Lagos joined later by teams from Abeokuta, Warri, Port-Harcourt and Calabar. Balogun played for the dominant teams at the time Lagos Marine and Lagos Railways appearing in 7 finals between 1945 and 1953 winning 4 titles.

He missed a number of years at his prime due to a number of reasons.

Diagreements between him and the NFA meant he missed the 1951 inaugural JALCO cup match against Ghana. In 1955 he left for the UK and missed a number of games where he would probably have had opportunities to add to his goal tally. By the time he came back in 1959 there were a number of young exciting forwards (Dejo Fayemi and Elkanah Onyeali in particular) who had come on the scene and were outperforming him by that stage.
YNWA
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ukwala wrote:
olu wrote:That surprises me about Madu. Isn't he meant to be a legend?
ukwala wrote:Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.
He is a legend who came back to Nigeria in his twilight years and had to contend with the sitting legend in Muda Lawal
That Xtain Madu played one game (actually, one half) for Nigeria was CRIMINAL...
But more telling was that he was the BEST player by a mile on the field in that one-half.

Even in his so-called "twilight years", Madu was more than good enough to hold down a regular spot in the Eagles' squad (if not starting line-up). Muda Lawal was moved down from the "No. 8" (inside-right) role into the "No. 4" (basically defensive midfield role) only at the 1976 ANC in Ethiopia and surprisingly FLOURISHED. Prior to that, he had a higher and box-to-box role at Lagos Leventis (the Iddo Tigers) and subsequently at Shooting Stars.

Similarly, Madu was playing as an attacking ("No. 10") and box-to-box midfielder at Accra Great Olympics before being converted to a "No. 4" role at Rangers (in the process confining the brilliant young talent Okey Isima (RIP) to the bench, prodding Isima to leave for Standard of Jos where the rest is fabled history). Accordingly, the Eagles' midfield could have easily accommodated BOTH Muda and Madu, with Madu playing higher upfield.

Instead, the stubborn Father Tiko (a family friend btw), raised on a diet of European football, kept blathering on about Madu's "lack of speed" (by which he meant physical speed rather speed of thought), and after ridding the team of one 'slow' mercurial artiste in Haruna Illerika was not inclined to install another. Thus, the role degenerated from Ilerika to Iwelumo (who was pretty good) to converted CENTRAL DEFENDER Kelechi "Caterpillar" Emetoele!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

heavyd wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
heavyd wrote:

25/10/1959 -- v Ghana
21/11/1959 - vs Ghana
Heavyd,

EII

Yes the dates are listed as everyone (except the US) writes dates :D and yes his last game was against Egypt not Ghana (copy and paste error lol)

Where did this game against the UK olympic squad take place and what was the score?
I cant seem to find any records of the GB Olympic team playing Nigeria (or any other team in 1958) in the runup to the 1960 Olympics. In fact trials for the UK Olympic team started in late 1959.

The game against the UK team was in Lagos and ended 0-5 with Nigeria down 0-2 at the interval. You should find it as it was widely reported in the papers. May want to check Daily Times. The game was May 24, 1958 in Lagos. My only gripe is whether it counts as a full international based on FIFA rules but I wrote FIFA on this matter years ago as I feel that several games that they denied should count as full internationals for Nigeria. Here is Nigeria's lineup for that loss:

Sam Ibiam – Emmanuel Anakwe (cpt), Luke Ogbolu – Jacob Imade, David Okoroji, Daniel Anyiam – Daniel Okwudili, Albert Onyeanwuna, Teslim Balogun, Hubert Ejoh, Patrick Noquapor.

25/10/1959 -- v Ghana
The above match was the second leg of an Olympic qualifier and my lineup for the game was
Omiunu - Nnando - Okoye - Imade - Achebe - Onyeador - Fayemi - Onyeali - Uwulaka - Onyeawuna - Ohiri

From my research Balogun was ineligible to play in these games because he had been playing professional football previously and could not play in the Olympics as it was at that time still classed as an amateur event.

Definition of an Amateur
An amateur is one who participates and always has participated in sport solely for pleasure and for the physical, mental or social benefits he derives therefrom, and to whom participation in sport is nothing more than recreation without material gain of any kind, direct or indirect. In addition, he must comply with the rules of the International
f'ederation concerned.

You are correct that Balogun did not play in the first leg of the Olympic qualifier but I have to search my records to find out why. Nevertheless he was used in the second after the 3-1 win in Lagos. It will be interesting to find out why he did not play in the first leg but I do not believe it had anything to do with issues of being a pro or an amateur.

In any case, the issue we are addressing is somewhat related to the point I made about FIFA rules. I report those games because I believe they ought to count as full internationals. I make the point a bit later. However, let me address the point you made here first. Here is lineup I have for that game, a 1-4 loss to Ghana in Accra:

Emmanuel Omiunu – Francis Obi-Okoye, Isaac Nnado -- Jacob Imade, Godwin Achebe, John Onyeador – Chris Ohiri, Albert Onyeanwuna, Teslim Balogun, Elkanah Onyeali, Dejo Fayemi.

Now, on the issue of whether the Olympic Games played by Nigeria ought to count as full internationals. Remember that at the time FIFA made the rule it included even the All Africa Games and the like and it brought up a rather ridiculous situation for Nigeria that I will point to in a minute. I really found that rule by FIFA to be ridiculous as it affects African national teams playing against each other or even playing against a favored opposition as was the case much of the earlier historical period. Nevertheless, back to the example. In 1978, Nigeria played Gabon in an international friendly which ended 1-0 in February. Nigeria used essentially a reserve team. In the previous Nigerian games, the team was made up of full squad but in All Africa Game qualifiers against Benn Republic. By FIFA edict the games where Nigeria fielded its top team should not count but the one where it fielded a reserve team should. Both national teams usually used their full NTs in those games and thus it is ridiculous for FIFA to claim that they were not full internationals. To stretch it further, might as well claim that Nigeria never played any game that should count until the 1990s when Nigeria introduced professional football! That throws away the records of Odegbami, Chukwu, etc. Or why just the Olympic Games/All Africa Games played by Nigeria and the like? In my view, it is illogical. As long as the NT is using its best XI or at least the game allowed the use of its best XI, the participants should get that record.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Gotti wrote:
ukwala wrote:
ukwala wrote:Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.
He is a legend who came back to Nigeria in his twilight years and had to contend with the sitting legend in Muda Lawal
That Xtain Madu played one game (actually, one half) for Nigeria was CRIMINAL...
But more telling was that he was the BEST player by a mile on the field in that one-half.

Even in his so-called "twilight years", Madu was more than good enough to hold down a regular spot in the Eagles' squad (if not starting line-up). Muda Lawal was moved down from the "No. 8" (inside-right) role into the "No. 4" (basically defensive midfield role) only at the 1976 ANC in Ethiopia and surprisingly FLOURISHED. Prior to that, he had a higher and box-to-box role at Lagos Leventis (the Iddo Tigers) and subsequently at Shooting Stars.

Similarly, Madu was playing as an attacking ("No. 10") and box-to-box midfielder at Accra Great Olympics before being converted to a "No. 4" role at Rangers (in the process confining the brilliant young talent Okey Isima (RIP) to the bench, prodding Isima to leave for Standard of Jos where the rest is fabled history). Accordingly, the Eagles' midfield could have easily accommodated BOTH Muda and Madu, with Madu playing higher upfield.

Instead, the stubborn Father Tiko (a family friend btw), raised on a diet of European football, kept blathering on about Madu's "lack of speed" (by which he meant physical speed rather speed of thought), and after ridding the team of one 'slow' mercurial artiste in Haruna Illerika was not inclined to install another. Thus, the role degenerated from Ilerika to Iwelumo (who was pretty good) to converted CENTRAL DEFENDER Kelechi "Caterpillar" Emetoele!
Thanks Gotti. Memory is failing me but I thought Madu came back in 1976 before Isima's time (I recollect the tussle with Alyufsalam Rocks for his services). Isima joined Rangers in 1978 I believe, together with Arthur Ebonam, when Madu was already firmly established in the no. 4 position and left for Standard of Jos in 1979, again together with his friend Arthur.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Enugu II wrote:
heavyd wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
heavyd wrote:

25/10/1959 -- v Ghana
21/11/1959 - vs Ghana
Heavyd,

EII

The game against the UK team was in Lagos and ended 0-5 with Nigeria down 0-2 at the interval. You should find it as it was widely reported in the papers. May want to check Daily Times. The game was May 24, 1958 in Lagos. My only gripe is whether it counts as a full international based on FIFA rules but I wrote FIFA on this matter years ago as I feel that several games that they denied should count as full internationals for Nigeria. Here is Nigeria's lineup for that loss:

Sam Ibiam – Emmanuel Anakwe (cpt), Luke Ogbolu – Jacob Imade, David Okoroji, Daniel Anyiam – Daniel Okwudili, Albert Onyeanwuna, Teslim Balogun, Hubert Ejoh, Patrick Noquapor.

25/10/1959 -- v Ghana

Definition of an Amateur
f'ederation concerned.

You are correct that Balogun did not play in the first leg of the Olympic qualifier but I have to search my records to find out why. Nevertheless he was used in the second after the 3-1 win in Lagos. It will be interesting to find out why he did not play in the first leg but I do not believe it had anything to do with issues of being a pro or an amateur.

In any case, the issue we are addressing is somewhat related to the point I made about FIFA rules. I report those games because I believe they ought to count as full internationals. I make the point a bit later. However, let me address the point you made here first. Here is lineup I have for that game, a 1-4 loss to Ghana in Accra:

Emmanuel Omiunu – Francis Obi-Okoye, Isaac Nnado -- Jacob Imade, Godwin Achebe, John Onyeador – Chris Ohiri, Albert Onyeanwuna, Teslim Balogun, Elkanah Onyeali, Dejo Fayemi.

Now, on the issue of whether the Olympic Games played by Nigeria ought to count as full internationals. Remember that at the time FIFA made the rule it included even the All Africa Games and the like and it brought up a rather ridiculous situation for Nigeria that I will point to in a minute. I really found that rule by FIFA to be ridiculous as it affects African national teams playing against each other or even playing against a favored opposition as was the case much of the earlier historical period. Nevertheless, back to the example. In 1978, Nigeria played Gabon in an international friendly which ended 1-0 in February. Nigeria used essentially a reserve team. In the previous Nigerian games, the team was made up of full squad but in All Africa Game qualifiers against Benn Republic. By FIFA edict the games where Nigeria fielded its top team should not count but the one where it fielded a reserve team should. Both national teams usually used their full NTs in those games and thus it is ridiculous for FIFA to claim that they were not full internationals. To stretch it further, might as well claim that Nigeria never played any game that should count until the 1990s when Nigeria introduced professional football! That throws away the records of Odegbami, Chukwu, etc. Or why just the Olympic Games/All Africa Games played by Nigeria and the like? In my view, it is illogical. As long as the NT is using its best XI or at least the game allowed the use of its best XI, the participants should get that record.
EII - I think you may have misunderstood me - I completely agree and also think these games should count as Full internationals as they were made up of a team of players selected by the NFA to play against a group of players selected by the National body of another country. Our players were amateurs at the time so playing against another amateur team should not make the game ineligible for International status.

The point i was making related to Balogun being eligible (or not) to play in those Olympic qualifiers and i do remember coming across the fact that he was ineligible due to his recent status as a professional in the UK being mentioned in news reports of the day.

It looks like we have a difference in the records of the lineup of the 1-4 loss on 25/10/1959. You list Balogun and i have Frank Uwulaka, the Port-Harourt center forward at the time as having played. Some more research needed i guess! :lol:
YNWA
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Rangers legend. Never claimed to be a Nigerian legend, the legend of Muda would not allow him own to blossom beyond the colors of the mighty Rangers. But we like our legends like that.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

oloye wrote:
Rangers legend. Never claimed to be a Nigerian legend, the legend of Muda would not allow him own to blossom beyond the colors of the mighty Rangers. But we like our legends like that.
Was not an early Rangers player; was playing in Ghana, and not well known in Naija.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ukwala wrote:Thanks Gotti. Memory is failing me but I thought Madu came back in 1976 before Isima's time (I recollect the tussle with Alyufsalam Rocks for his services). Isima joined Rangers in 1978 I believe, together with Arthur Ebonam, when Madu was already firmly established in the no. 4 position and left for Standard of Jos in 1979, again together with his friend Arthur.
Isima joined Rangers AFTER Madu was already there...
But without Madu, Isima would have been a shoo-in starter.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Gotti wrote:
ukwala wrote:Thanks Gotti. Memory is failing me but I thought Madu came back in 1976 before Isima's time (I recollect the tussle with Alyufsalam Rocks for his services). Isima joined Rangers in 1978 I believe, together with Arthur Ebonam, when Madu was already firmly established in the no. 4 position and left for Standard of Jos in 1979, again together with his friend Arthur.
Coming back does not apply.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Gotti wrote:
Coming back does not apply.