FINALLY: ROHR Claims He will Throw Camp Open to Home-based

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
FINALLY: ROHR Claims He will Throw Camp Open to Home-based

Post by Enugu II »

Well, let's see if he follows with action. Good thing is at least they will have a good sense of what exists rather than blaming lack of data or a manufactured claim of lack of worthy talent.

Rohr throws Eagles camp open to NPFL players
By Alex Monye
https://guardian.ng/sport/rohr-throws-e ... l-players/
19 June 2020 | 4:15 am

If you are a home-based player and you believe you have the qualities needed to play for Nigeria, you now have the chance to convince the coaches with your skills. This is because Super Eagles’ Chief Coach, Gernot Rohr, has challenged players in the Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) to be ready for the assessment, which will begin as soon as club football returns in the country.

Home-based Nigerian players have been clamouring for inclusion in the senior national team, which in recent times has been the exclusive preserve of players playing outside the country. The change began with the Nigeria Football Federation’s (NFF) insistence that Rohr must go round the local venues to scout for qualified players for his team before he got a new deal.

Yesterday in Lagos, Rohr, who spoke through Super Eagles Media Officer, Toyin Ibitoye, challenged the NPFL players to up their game and prove they are as good as their overseas-based counterparts, saying he would move round the venues to pick the very best among them.

Ibitoye said the NFF and other stakeholders have made arrangements for adequate security for the German and his crew when they start touring match venues on scouting mission.

He added that although Rohr had in the past watched some games in the country, the new mission would ensure that he sees as many players as possible across the country.

“The players should get ready because Rohr will be at the NPFL league venues to assess them. There are no security fears as everything would be put in place to ensure he does his job in secured environments.”

On the clamour in some quarters for Odion Ighalo’s return to the Super Eagles, Ibitoye said the issue would be evaluated at the right time, adding that the coaches would do the best in the interest of Nigeria.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FINALLY: ROHR Claims He will Throw Camp Open to Home-bas

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Waste of time unless there’re looking at u20 players.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:Well, let's see if he follows with action. Good thing is at least they will have a good sense of what exists rather than blaming lack of data or a manufactured claim of lack of worthy talent.

Rohr throws Eagles camp open to NPFL players
By Alex Monye
https://guardian.ng/sport/rohr-throws-e ... l-players/
19 June 2020 | 4:15 am

If you are a home-based player and you believe you have the qualities needed to play for Nigeria, you now have the chance to convince the coaches with your skills. This is because Super Eagles’ Chief Coach, Gernot Rohr, has challenged players in the Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) to be ready for the assessment, which will begin as soon as club football returns in the country.

Home-based Nigerian players have been clamouring for inclusion in the senior national team, which in recent times has been the exclusive preserve of players playing outside the country. The change began with the Nigeria Football Federation’s (NFF) insistence that Rohr must go round the local venues to scout for qualified players for his team before he got a new deal.

Yesterday in Lagos, Rohr, who spoke through Super Eagles Media Officer, Toyin Ibitoye, challenged the NPFL players to up their game and prove they are as good as their overseas-based counterparts, saying he would move round the venues to pick the very best among them.

Ibitoye said the NFF and other stakeholders have made arrangements for adequate security for the German and his crew when they start touring match venues on scouting mission.

He added that although Rohr had in the past watched some games in the country, the new mission would ensure that he sees as many players as possible across the country.

“The players should get ready because Rohr will be at the NPFL league venues to assess them. There are no security fears as everything would be put in place to ensure he does his job in secured environments.”

On the clamour in some quarters for Odion Ighalo’s return to the Super Eagles, Ibitoye said the issue would be evaluated at the right time, adding that the coaches would do the best in the interest of Nigeria.
At last, your campaign paid off. I hope you're happy now
I am happy
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Waste of time unless there’re looking at u20 players.
Yep. If we're going to waste time, why stop at the NPFL? If it's going to be open seasons then why discriminate against the other leagues in Nigeria?

Also open it up to the other divisions i.e. National League (div 2), Nationwide League (div 3) and div 4.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

If he is serious about about it he can unearth a gem or two especially in a need position like GK, LB, RB, AM, and striker.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

:lol:
Orion wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Waste of time unless there’re looking at u20 players.
Yep. If we're going to waste time, why stop at the NPFL? If it's going to be open seasons then why discriminate against the other leagues in Nigeria?

Also open it up the other divisions i.e. National League (div 2), Nationwide League (div 3) and div 4.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Why not cast the net even wider and open it up to all cybereagles who wish to come to camp and 'fight for shirts".
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ok the home based players failed in Chan qualifiers, Wafu cup, All African games and the clubs are not strong enough at continental level and during the Olympic qualifiers they had to use foreign based players to bail them out after losing the first leg of games in 2 rounds and then couldn’t use those foreign based players in the actual u23 tournament and capitulated.I think coaching and recruitment in Nigeria needs to improve as those players don’t seem to be able to prove themselves currently against African opposition.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

Throwing the camp open to HB players does not necessarily mean he would select any for the SE. Maybe, ´he's just doing it to pacify those clamoring for it and at the long run says, "You, see, l did open the camp for them, but they are not just good enough".

Case Closed!!
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Nuttin spoil.
Nothing to lose in him moving around looking at players himself.

If they are good enough, they will make the squad.
If they are not good enough.....they will make the squad

:D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Next wrote:Throwing the camp open to HB players does not necessarily mean he would select any for the SE. Maybe, ´he's just doing it to pacify those clamoring for it and at the long run says, "You, see, l did open the camp for them, but they are not just good enough".
Really?
How much you wan bet?

Which mouth him wan use talk say e no see local material?
Its now political.
Watch this space. :idea:
Case Closed!!
My brotha, tori just start....
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oscar52 wrote:If he is serious about about it he can unearth a gem or two especially in a need position like GK, LB, RB, AM, and striker.
I pray so.
However my main fear is that this is quota by stealth and that he'll be under pressure to pick players just to meet that quota even though he might believe we have better options based abroad.

My prediction is that from now on there are always going to be a couple of NPFL players in any final 23-man squad. Whether the SE will ultimately pay the price for that, we can only wait and see.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
oscar52 wrote:If he is serious about about it he can unearth a gem or two especially in a need position like GK, LB, RB, AM, and striker.
I pray so.
However my main fear is that this is quota by stealth and that he'll be under pressure to pick players just to meet that quota even though he might believe we have better options based abroad.

My prediction is that from now on there are always going to be a couple of NPFL players in any final 23-man squad. Whether the SE will ultimately pay the price for that, we can only wait and see.
It shows how powerful agents and their accomplices are in Nigerian football. Those blaming Keshi didn't know the pressure he was under by these people to ensure that a quota system is in place.
They pretend to be fans of the SE but they have a secret agenda. A true fan is only interested in the best players playing for their team.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Next wrote:Throwing the camp open to HB players does not necessarily mean he would select any for the SE. Maybe, ´he's just doing it to pacify those clamoring for it and at the long run says, "You, see, l did open the camp for them, but they are not just good enough".
Really?
How much you wan bet?

Its now political.
Case Closed!!

Good point about political. It has been political when a third division player is selected simply because he is playing overseas. Clearly, it means that something is amiss. It seems clear to me that a decision had been made to not pay attention to the vast majority of Nigerian players -- those playing locally. While it is a given that most of our best players are playing outside the country, it does not and should not mean that a few can still be found at home. We will soon find out if this claim by Rohr is serious or simply a continuation of his perfunctory attitude about paying attention to players developing at home.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Really?
How much you wan bet?

Its now political.
Case Closed!!

Good point about political. It has been political when a third division player is selected simply because he is playing overseas. Clearly, it means that something is amiss. It seems clear to me that a decision had been made to not pay attention to the vast majority of Nigerian players -- those playing locally. While it is a given that most of our best players are playing outside the country, it does not and should not mean that a few can still be found at home. We will soon find out if this claim by Rohr is serious or simply a continuation of his perfunctory attitude about paying attention to players developing at home.
Prof, you know we both differ on this matter.
I am convinced that Rohr will pick and would always have picked local players if believed good enough, but your position is that he somehow has a bias against them and therefore, even if outstanding, would never pick them.

I am not sure what your position is on the role of his local assistants (Yusuf, Imana and Agu etc) and why they too have failed to unearth local 'gems' even when in charge of the CHAN, WAFU and U23 teams. It must either be they are totally incompetent or are part of the NFF conspiracy.

It is very unfortunate that Maduka Okoye has been repeatedly and unfairly used as the sole whipping boy of the campaigners for local call-ups and I pray he doesn't take it personally.

To find yourself held up as the next 'Babatunde Messi' at such a young age cannot be nice. Even he was not singled out. He was one of a few 'hey yous', including Reuben Gabriel, Michael Uchebo and Sola Ameobi.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: It shows how powerful agents and their accomplices are in Nigerian football. Those blaming Keshi didn't know the pressure he was under by these people to ensure that a quota system is in place.
They pretend to be fans of the SE but they have a secret agenda. A true fan is only interested in the best players playing for their team.
On Nov 14, 2017
Dammy wrote:My bro, the last thing on Keshi's mind was to make a name, instead the 2014 WC was supposed to be his swansong and he was only interested in making as much money before resigning until the Dotard, GEJ, got him to rescind his decision to quit. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284266&p=5124656&hi ... i#p5124656
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
Dammy wrote: It shows how powerful agents and their accomplices are in Nigerian football. Those blaming Keshi didn't know the pressure he was under by these people to ensure that a quota system is in place.
On Nov 14, 2017
Dammy wrote:My bro, the last thing on Keshi's mind was to make a name, instead the 2014 WC was supposed to be his swansong and he was only interested in making as much money before resigning until the Dotard, GEJ, got him to rescind his decision to quit. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284266&p=5124656&hi ... i#p5124656
I know better now with the persistent campaign for home based players by the same people who eulogised Keshi because he pandered to their whims!
BTW, I have it on good authority that this story is bullshit and Rohr has no intention of throwing the camp open for home based players.
So the purveyors should try something else!
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: I know better now with the persistent campaign for home based players by the same people who eulogised Keshi because he pandered to their whims!
BTW, I have it on good authority that this story is bullshit and Rohr has no intention of throwing the camp open for home based players.
Was Keshi under Pressure or he did it for money :mrgreen: That´s what we need to know. Thanks!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Really?
How much you wan bet?

Its now political.
Case Closed!!

I am convinced that Rohr will pick and would always have picked local players if believed good enough, but your position is that he somehow has a bias against them and therefore, even if outstanding, would never pick them.

I am not sure what your position is on the role of his local assistants (Yusuf, Imana and Agu etc) and why they too have failed to unearth local 'gems' even when in charge of the CHAN, WAFU and U23 teams. It must either be they are totally incompetent or are part of the NFF conspiracy.

It is very unfortunate that Maduka Okoye has been repeatedly and unfairly used as the sole whipping boy of the campaigners for local call-ups and I pray he doesn't take it personally.

To find yourself held up as the next 'Babatunde Messi' at such a young age cannot be nice. Even he was not singled out. He was one of a few 'hey yous', including Reuben Gabriel, Michael Uchebo and Sola Ameobi.
Abeg don't mind them! They talk of 3rd division as if NPFL players leave the league to play in the Bundesliga!
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: Abeg don't mind them! They talk of 3rd division as if NPFL players leave the league to play in the Bundesliga!
Mar 03, 2017
Dammy wrote: Where is that Swiss division 2 oyinbo player that Keshi capped again? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=278765&p=4979327&hi ... i#p4979327
When Keshi capped Swiss division 2 player, it was bad.

When Rohr capped 3rd and 4th players, Rohr has a eye for talent.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

Believe me, I profoundly respect your opinion. You should know that. I know you want the best for Nigeria. I do not doubt that for a second.

What I feel on this matter is that Nigeria is missing a lot by ignoring home based. I point out to several reasons why I feel that this ignoring is by design more than anything else. Here are some of those reasons:

1. There is no doubt that Rohr is influenced largely by Adelakun who not only helped recruit the former but has since then become an assistant siting on Rohr's bench even though we are not sure what exactly his (Adelakun) technical background is. Adelakun has said he is responsible for scouting.
2. Go back to Pinnick's antecedents. Recall, how he recruited heavily from overseas to have track stars feature for his state while Director of Sports. It DID PRODUCE RESULTS (I will give him that).
3. One of Pinnick's major appearances as NFF Chair was to oversee a camp of Nigerian born kids in London during a failed international schedule for SE in London He told the media then that they were watching the future of SE. Link this to #2 above.
4. Rohr has invited local-based players, in my view, to quiet the criticism at one and not necessarily because he believes in these players. Note that most of the invited players join camp just once and then they are ditched. EXCUSE OFFERED: They left for overseas club. Really! Since the does leaving for another club mean you cannot be invited again? If he is willing to ditch them that means he did not believe they are worthy in the first place and that he merely called them up to meet his "believed quota' of locally-based players. Thus, if the player leaves, the player no longer is useful to fill this quota.If this is not perfunctory then I do not know what perfunctory is.
5. Rohr called up Okoye simply because he is foreign-based. What exactly had Okoye done to deserve the initial call-up besides the fact that he was based overseas? Meanwhile, the invitation also included brushing him up with extra training by the NT coaches. Mind you, it is an extra training not offered to any home-based players including Ezenwa.
6. When it emerged that Adelakun spilled the beans on how these invitations go out --( he noted that local players were being ignored because there was no stats on them) it removed a huge mystery. It was not because they may not be good enough but simply because stats did not exist. Yet we have several homebred players at goalkeeping position playing but we can invite a third division guy wired to the bench? When the heat was turned on Adelakun, he retraced his statement claiming there were others focusing locally. But did he ever address how data plays in invitation of players? He never did. Who invites (or recommend "politically correct") the bulk of players? We all know it is Adelakun.
7. While I believe the best of our players are based outside the country, I do believe talent can be found consistently still in the country. Player development is continual and as long as far more players are still based in Nigeria, that talent will be churned out on continued basis.
8. This is by no means the first time we have been told (under foreign coaches) that local players are not good enough. Yet, we have (under Amodu and then Keshi) that it is a a BIG LIE and at best a LAZY response. Amodu found three that help us qualify for the 2002 World Cup when hopes seemed dashed under Bonfrere. We saw Keshi do it after we were told no local guys were good enough. In doing so we saw a local - Sunday Mba -- not only outplay the foreign-based Igiebor but become a hero as Nigeria won the AFCON.

All I am saying is give Nigeria the best chance to win. Do not ignore a space where most Nigerian players currently ply their trade. That is my point.

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Really?
How much you wan bet?

Its now political.
Case Closed!!

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
Dammy wrote: I know better now with the persistent campaign for home based players by the same people who eulogised Keshi because he pandered to their whims!
Was Keshi under Pressure or he did it for money :mrgreen: That´s what we need to know. Thanks!
Probably a bit of both.
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:Damunk,

Believe me, I profoundly respect your opinion. You should know that. I know you want the best for Nigeria. I do not doubt that for a second.

What I feel on this matter is that Nigeria is missing a lot by ignoring home based. I point out to several reasons why I feel that this ignoring is by design more than anything else. Here are some of those reasons:

1. There is no doubt that Rohr is influenced largely by Adelakun who not only helped recruit the former but has since then become an assistant siting on Rohr's bench even though we are not sure what exactly his (Adelakun) technical background is. Adelakun has said he is responsible for scouting.
2. Go back to Pinnick's antecedents. Recall, how he recruited heavily from overseas to have track stars feature for his state while Director of Sports. It DID PRODUCE RESULTS (I will give him that).
3. One of Pinnick's major appearances as NFF Chair was to oversee a camp of Nigerian born kids in London during a failed international schedule for SE in London He told the media then that they were watching the future of SE. Link this to #2 above.
4. Rohr has invited local-based players, in my view, to quiet the criticism at one and not necessarily because he believes in these players. Note that most of the invited players join camp just once and then they are ditched. EXCUSE OFFERED: They left for overseas club. Really! Since the does leaving for another club mean you cannot be invited again? If he is willing to ditch them that means he did not believe they are worthy in the first place and that he merely called them up to meet his "believed quota' of locally-based players. Thus, if the player leaves, the player no longer is useful to fill this quota.If this is not perfunctory then I do not know what perfunctory is.
5. Rohr called up Okoye simply because he is foreign-based. What exactly had Okoye done to deserve the initial call-up besides the fact that he was based overseas? Meanwhile, the invitation also included brushing him up with extra training by the NT coaches. Mind you, it is an extra training not offered to any home-based players including Ezenwa.
6. When it emerged that Adelakun spilled the beans on how these invitations go out --( he noted that local players were being ignored because there was no stats on them) it removed a huge mystery. It was not because they may not be good enough but simply because stats did not exist. Yet we have several homebred players at goalkeeping position playing but we can invite a third division guy wired to the bench? When the heat was turned on Adelakun, he retraced his statement claiming there were others focusing locally. But did he ever address how data plays in invitation of players? He never did. Who invites (or recommend "politically correct") the bulk of players? We all know it is Adelakun.
7. While I believe the best of our players are based outside the country, I do believe talent can be found consistently still in the country. Player development is continual and as long as far more players are still based in Nigeria, that talent will be churned out on continued basis.
8. This is by no means the first time we have been told (under foreign coaches) that local players are not good enough. Yet, we have (under Amodu and then Keshi) that it is a a BIG LIE and at best a LAZY response. Amodu found three that help us qualify for the 2002 World Cup when hopes seemed dashed under Bonfrere. We saw Keshi do it after we were told no local guys were good enough. In doing so we saw a local - Sunday Mba -- not only outplay the foreign-based Igiebor but become a hero as Nigeria won the AFCON.

All I am saying is give Nigeria the best chance to win. Do not ignore a space where most Nigerian players currently ply their trade. That is my point.

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Really?
How much you wan bet?

Its now political.
Case Closed!!

To find yourself held up as the next 'Babatunde Messi' at such a young age cannot be nice. Even he was noons! :lol: t singled out. He was one of a few 'hey yous', including Reuben Gabriel, Michael Uchebo and Sola Ameobi.
This is how a "fan" reasons! :lol:
I am happy