THE DEBATE: Future of SE at stake!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
THE DEBATE: Future of SE at stake!

Post by Enugu II »

When I visualize Nigeria winning the World Cup or at least playing in the final of that great championship. What I dream is a team that has the likes of Alex Iwobi, Victor Osimhen, and perhaps movie Ejaria proudly wearing the famous green and white and running rings round the likes of Uruguay, England, Japan, and Argentina at a World Cup. It is a dream that we are close to realizing in our life time. Why waste it? Why not give it a try and enjoy the fruits of such a wonderful experiment?
It should be all hands on deck! Nigeria is ready to take off. We have talents oversea, those who left the shores of Nigeria and those eligible via their parents. We also have talents emerging regularly and based locally. Why not utilize all of them? Why shoot yourself on the foot because of some cock and bull story about the quality of training and nutrition in Europe when those Europe-based talents have not routinely conquered local-based opponents in African competitions?
Details here:
https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2020/06/ ... -team.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: THE DEBATE: Future of SE at stake!

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

This is not much of a debate, the best players are based in England,France,Italy, Spain and Germany.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

I think this wet dream of World Cup is just that, there’s nothing about our current players or team that says we will do any better than previous SE’s. And it’s not gonna be because of us using the rejects who couldn’t make the teams that actually have a shot at the World Cup. It’s odd to me to think that, but then again footie ain’t math.

But let’s first see how these boys do at the ANC and build from there. The likes of Iwobi and Samu showed some flash at the last edition but also were found wanting when they came up against the best Africa has to offer. Suddenly a nervous Samu couldn’t even dribble past his man anymore, Iwobi was busy playing a game of how often can I lose this round bouncy thing, Ndidi was passing to ghosts and hacking without restraint. We have talent good enough for Africa and trying to win the ANC if they can mature at the right time and Rohr can get out of their way. But World Cup? I don’t see it, not yet. Not even close.

But we keep dreaming I guess, every World Cup it’s the same thing watch out for Africa...guess we never get tired of dreaming rather than actually taking a note from the teams that perennially do well at the mundial and see how their victory is based on actually having a properly structured league and development system at home where their players all develop and learn a certain playing style and philosophy that is shared by all their national teams from youth level up. Look at Brazil, you can even find links to watch their Serie D (4th division) games online. We don’t even have a functioning first division. We are here relying on rejects from other countries development systems instead of realizing we must actually develop our own before we can actually compete and do it in a consistent manner, not just a flash in the pan Cameroon or Senegal every decade or so. It’s their development system, they will take the cream of the crop, the second tier of talent will hold out, some might get frustrated and join us, the third tier (the Baloguns and Ekongs) will be super delighted to play for us, but we ain’t winning anything at the World Cup level with them, just arent...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

We ain't winning the worldcup anytime soon. Talkless of getting out of the 2nd round
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:We ain't winning the worldcup anytime soon. Talkless of getting out of the 2nd round
Your prayer will never materilise.
IJN. :!: :!: :!:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

This is a false debate in my opinion. Nigeria will not reach her full potential if we fail to develop and nurture all the talent that we have within our shores. At the same time, when it comes to the Super Eagles, only our best players should be selected, regardless of where they ply their trade.

These two statements should not be mutually exclusive.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

maceo4 wrote:I think this wet dream of World Cup is just that, there’s nothing about our current players or team that says we will do any better than previous SE’s. And it’s not gonna be because of us using the rejects who couldn’t make the teams that actually have a shot at the World Cup. It’s odd to me to think that, but then again footie ain’t math.

But let’s first see how these boys do at the ANC and build from there. The likes of Iwobi and Samu showed some flash at the last edition but also were found wanting when they came up against the best Africa has to offer. Suddenly a nervous Samu couldn’t even dribble past his man anymore, Iwobi was busy playing a game of how often can I lose this round bouncy thing, Ndidi was passing to ghosts and hacking without restraint. We have talent good enough for Africa and trying to win the ANC if they can mature at the right time and Rohr can get out of their way. But World Cup? I don’t see it, not yet. Not even close.

But we keep dreaming I guess, every World Cup it’s the same thing watch out for Africa...guess we never get tired of dreaming rather than actually taking a note from the teams that perennially do well at the mundial and see how their victory is based on actually having a properly structured league and development system at home where their players all develop and learn a certain playing style and philosophy that is shared by all their national teams from youth level up. Look at Brazil, you can even find links to watch their Serie D (4th division) games online. We don’t even have a functioning first division. We are here relying on rejects from other countries development systems instead of realizing we must actually develop our own before we can actually compete and do it in a consistent manner, not just a flash in the pan Cameroon or Senegal every decade or so. It’s their development system, they will take the cream of the crop, the second tier of talent will hold out, some might get frustrated and join us, the third tier (the Baloguns and Ekongs) will be super delighted to play for us, but we ain’t winning anything at the World Cup level with them, just arent...
Good point, the truth is that we have the talent to do very well at the world cup but winning the world is too much at the moment. With Rohr in charge and his "we are here to learn" mentality, I don't see us getting past the second round! Against Algeria at the ANC we were just too defensive and that affected the offensive minded players like Samu, Iwobi and pressurised our defenders and Midfielders to make silly mistakes. This all boils down to Rohrs mentality.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:We ain't winning the worldcup anytime soon. Talkless of getting out of the 2nd round
You want to win the worldcup with players like Akpeyi or talkless of a manager like **** smh....Afcon was just a year ago

Have you seen your defenders or goalies? None of them plays for a top club...you want to win the worldcup...smh ....I guess the other countries praying don't want to win it..

Your highest profile number 9 plays in Lille... now tell us his backups.... a woeful Argentina didn't humble you, you still think you can win the world cup. France, Brazil, England, Spain , Germany, Italy Argentina will sit there and let you win the worldcup because you are praying..smh

We only go to the worldcup to participate, let that sink in
SuperEagles

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

We are not winning the AFCON talkless of the WC anytime soon with Rhor in charge.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

bret- hart wrote:We are not winning the AFCON talkless of the WC anytime soon with Rhor in charge.
We aren't even dominating in Africa, bobo says nah prayer we go use win worldcup
SuperEagles

highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Enugu II wrote:
When I visualize Nigeria winning the World Cup or at least playing in the final of that great championship. What I dream is a team that has the likes of Alex Iwobi, Victor Osimhen, and perhaps movie Ejaria proudly wearing the famous green and white and running rings round the likes of Uruguay, England, Japan, and Argentina at a World Cup. It is a dream that we are close to realizing in our life time. Why waste it? Why not give it a try and enjoy the fruits of such a wonderful experiment?
It should be all hands on deck! Nigeria is ready to take off. We have talents oversea, those who left the shores of Nigeria and those eligible via their parents. We also have talents emerging regularly and based locally. Why not utilize all of them? Why shoot yourself on the foot because of some cock and bull story about the quality of training and nutrition in Europe when those Europe-based talents have not routinely conquered local-based opponents in African competitions?
Details here:
It is possible. And I truly believe it is very possible. The players have to believe. Please forgive the guys below for not believing. They have never seen an African team win it. Hence, the doubt. I remember when I was younger, people said that we will never have a black President because America is too racist and out of nowhere came Obama. I remember when they said it will impossible to win the Olympics and we won. It always looks impossible until done. I suspect if you asked the French before 1998, more didn't believe they could win. It always seems impossoble until in happens. Excuses people use is " oh the poor league" " oh the experience" " oh it's the lack of discipline" etc. Yes, we can win it if we believe. Easy? He'll no! Heck Greece won the Euros :lol:
I am waiting for the critics :shyluv:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
You want to win the worldcup with players like Akpeyi or talkless of a manager like **** smh....Afcon was just a year ago

Have you seen your defenders or goalies? None of them plays for a top club...you want to win the worldcup...smh ....I guess the other countries praying don't want to win it..

Your highest profile number 9 plays in Lille... now tell us his backups.... a woeful Argentina didn't humble you, you still think you can win the world cup. France, Brazil, England, Spain , Germany, Italy Argentina will sit there and let you win the worldcup because you are praying..smh

You are in so much pain becos you haven't gotten your way. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Pele.
I
t must be depressing not being able to enjoy the successes of your team.
You might as well go support Ghana :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

highbury wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Details here:
It is possible. And I truly believe it is very possible. The players have to believe. Please forgive the guys below for not believing. They have never seen an African team win it. Hence, the doubt. I remember when I was younger, people said that we will never have a black President because America is too racist and out of nowhere came Obama. I remember when they said it will impossible to win the Olympics and we won. It always looks impossible until done. I suspect if you asked the French before 1998, more didn't believe they could win. It always seems impossoble until in happens. Excuses people use is " oh the poor league" " oh the experience" " oh it's the lack of discipline" etc. Yes, we can win it if we believe. Easy? He'll no! Heck Greece won the Euros :lol:
It’s not about just saying it or dreaming it, are African countries doing what is necessary to develop their football programs into ones that can compete on the world stage consistently, the answer is no. The blueprint is there from all these teams that are perennially amongst the top each and every World Cup. I think we might see 24-hr non stop electricity in Naija before we see a World Cup final. And we all know that ain’t happening anytime soon :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Damunk wrote:

You are in so much pain becos you haven't gotten your way. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Pele.
I
t must be depressing not being able to enjoy the successes of your team.
You might as well go support Ghana :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Pain? Get real....you want to win the worldcup by praying ...smh
SuperEagles

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

We dont have the coach, defense and midfield to win the world cup or even do well at the world cup. So what is point in keeping Rohr?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ohenhen1 wrote:We dont have the coach, defense and midfield to win the world cup or even do well at the world cup. So what is point in keeping Rohr?
But you are the same bunch of clowns that have been wailing for 2 years for not beating Croatia and Argentina with pretty much the same defence and midfield we have now.
We were supposed to be good enough to beat them then, but now with a better line up, we are not.
Ficklers, make up your minds. :lol: :lol: :lol:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote:We dont have the coach, defense and midfield to win the world cup or even do well at the world cup. So what is point in keeping Rohr?
I’m with u, let’s disband the team sef :thumbs:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

highbury wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Details here:
We can win the WC, all we need is to believe. We won the 1996 Olympics against better teams due to the players believing they can do it. Nigeria is the only African country that can win the WC because of our "can do" mentality.
All we need is to bridge the gap quality wise because in 2018, the quality was too low and with our players moving to better leagues since then, the quality gap is not as wide as it was, and adding the traditional Nigerian fighting spirit, anything can happen. There's nothing Nigeria cannot do if we set our focus properly.
I am happy
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

mystic wrote:This is a false debate in my opinion. Nigeria will not reach her full potential if we fail to develop and nurture all the talent that we have within our shores. At the same time, when it comes to the Super Eagles, only our best players should be selected, regardless of where they ply their trade.

These two statements should not be mutually exclusive.
THE ABOVE REPRESENTS MY OPINION, BUT...

...it's not one shared by the NFF big wigs. They, in catastrophic error, believe the solution can rely entirely on poaching talents abroad while ignoring the local lads. But, then again, maybe they have no serious desire to win it.
Bell
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote:
highbury wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Details here:
We can win the WC, all we need is to believe. We won the 1996 Olympics against better teams due to the players believing they can do it. Nigeria is the only African country that can win the WC because of our "can do" mentality.
All we need is to bridge the gap quality wise because in 2018, the quality was too low and with our players moving to better leagues since then, the quality gap is not as wide as it was, and adding the traditional Nigerian fighting spirit, anything can happen. There's nothing Nigeria cannot do if we set our focus properly.
So when Cameroon, Senegal, Ghana have done better than us, where was our can do mentality? And can we please stop talking about youth tournaments from umpteen years ago...let’s keep dreaming sha :thumbs:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

^ :rotf: :rotf: dammy is funny...it is very easy to state we can win the worldcup. However we have Akpeyi, we have relegation fighting defenders, our 2 defenders are going to get relegated in Laliga... we have one also fighting relegation in Seria A. Mouth be what again...all we need to do is pray and shout mentality.

Dammy quoted 1996 u23 football...24 years ago....Cameroon won the gold also in the Olympics.. no SE player has won APOY since Kanu and that was 21 years ago
SuperEagles

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:^ :rotf: :rotf: dammy is funny...it is very easy to state we can win the worldcup. However we have Akpeyi, we have relegation fighting defenders, our 2 defenders are going to get relegated in Laliga... we have one also fighting relegation in Seria A. Mouth be what again...all we need to do is pray and shout mentality.

Dammy quoted 1996 u23 football...24 years ago....Cameroon won the gold also in the Olympics.. no SE player has won APOY since Kanu and that was 21 years ago
You man of little faith! U23 football? Brazil had 3 world cup winners in Bebeto, Aldair and Ronaldo, add Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, Flavio Concecaio, Savio, Ze Elias, Juninho etc all full internationals and Argentina had Chamot, Simeone, Ortega, Sensini ( players who showed the full SE pepper at the 1994 WC), Crespo, Zanetti, Almeyda, Bassedas, Claudio and Gustavo Lopez, Ayala etc all full internationals and all this players wired England 2 years later in France. Both Brazil and Argentina were coached by their full national team coaches, Zagallo and Pasarella.
The WC is not being played today and unlike 2018, when our defence was made up of players from Turkey and Russia, in 2 years time we will have players from Serie A, La Liga, EPL and Bundesliga in our defence. The midfield and attack is getting overloaded with quality and we have in Francis Uzoho, a potential WC goalkeeper if his performances against Tunisia, Ukraine and Brazil is anything to go by.
Finally we also have Enugu 11's currently unknown home based world class players to look forward to. :lol:
I believe we can win the WC, especially if we have a good draw in the group stages. Nigeria can beat any team in world football on a good day.
I am happy
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

bret- hart wrote:We are not winning the AFCON talkless of the WC anytime soon with Rhor in charge.
This one na silly talk. In 2013 did you think we would win it? No mention AFCON oo. That we can win at anytime. I can understand the WC but your AFCON argument no get head.