30 years ago these names caused an Earthquake!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Makanaky
Egg
Egg
30 years ago these names caused an Earthquake!

Post by Makanaky »

Thomas Nkono, Emmanuel Kunde, Benjamin Massing, Stephen Tataw, Bertin Ebwelle , Jean Claude Pagal,Louis Paul Mfede, Emile Mbouh, Cyrille Makanaky,Andre Kana-Biyik, Francois Oman-Biyik, Eugene Ekeke, Roger Milla!
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 30 years ago these names caused an Earthquake!

Post by marko »

yes and i watched that game live! it pained me seeing them go out against England
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Makanaky wrote:Thomas Nkono, Emmanuel Kunde, Benjamin Massing, Stephen Tataw, Bertin Ebwelle , Jean Claude Pagal,Louis Paul Mfede, Emile Mbouh, Cyrille Makanaky,Andre Kana-Biyik, Francois Oman-Biyik, Eugene Ekeke, Roger Milla!
Was this the first professional wrestling team from Cameroun? :D :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cellular wrote:
Makanaky wrote:Thomas Nkono, Emmanuel Kunde, Benjamin Massing, Stephen Tataw, Bertin Ebwelle , Jean Claude Pagal,Louis Paul Mfede, Emile Mbouh, Cyrille Makanaky,Andre Kana-Biyik, Francois Oman-Biyik, Eugene Ekeke, Roger Milla!
That was the Kung Fu team. This was waaay before the time of wrestlers. Ask Cannigia...

Kana-Bikik and Ben Massing......choi, those guys ehn!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:
That was the Kung Fu team. This was waaay before the time of wrestlers. Ask Cannigia...

Those guys don't get enough credit. It is hard enough playing one sport at a high level; but to combine soccer, wrestling and mixed martial arts into one sport is something the world will likely not see again for a very long time.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

theDunamis wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Those guys don't get enough credit. It is hard enough playing one sport at a high level; but to combine soccer, wrestling and mixed martial arts into one sport is something the world will likely not see again for a very long time.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Emmanuel Kunde na kpangolo kpako jam bori.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

That was a loaded team. Their beautiful names rolled off the tongue and left you no doubt that this was an African team of no nonsense hard men. Hard! Easily brushed aside the then world champions Argentina fielding the highly slick and dangerous partners in crime on and off the field - Maradona and Caniggia. Cocaine aficionados and bad boys extraordinaire.

Those two would deal with Nigeria with the most extreme wickedness and ice cold brutality 4 years later in 1994 and remind us that the World Cup is for big boys where there is no forgiveness for the tiniest mistake. Cold blooded to the max. We still have not recovered our confidence against them since then, 26 years later and 5 matches with 0 wins. Perhaps we should have made the pilgrimage to Douala or Yaounde to get some tips on how to handle those tricky slicksters.

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

theDunamis wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_FHqWXllX4[/video]

Zaire in 1974 and Cameroon in 1990 left some damaging legacies for Africa which we are still battling to dispel today.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Scipio Africanus wrote:That was a loaded team. Their beautiful names rolled off the tongue and left you no doubt that this was an African team of no nonsense hard men. Hard! Easily brushed aside the then world champions Argentina fielding the highly slick and dangerous partners in crime on and off the field - Maradona and Caniggia. Cocaine aficionados and bad boys extraordinaire.

Those two would deal with Nigeria with the most extreme wickedness and ice cold brutality 4 years later in 1994 and remind us that the World Cup is for big boys where there is no forgiveness for the tiniest mistake. Cold blooded to the max. We still have not recovered our confidence against them since then, 26 years later and 5 matches with 0 wins. Perhaps we should have made the pilgrimage to Douala or Yaounde to get some tips on how to handle those tricky slicksters.

They had the coolest names ever :clap:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

We know you have our back even though you can't bring yourselves to admit it.
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

They where unapologetically African. They had a swag to the way they played their football. The names sounded very exotic for us in Zimbabwe. We cheered them on in Harare.

God bless the people of Cameroon and God bless every single one of those ballers who flew the African and Cameroonian flag.

To this day I remember the exploits of that great team. They made the world stand up and respect African football. :clap:
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

I am also hoping the "hateration" on this thread from the Nigerian CE's is tongue in cheek.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:They where unapologetically African. They had a swag to the way they played their football. The names sounded very exotic for us in Zimbabwe. We cheered them on in Harare.

God bless the people of Cameroon and God bless every single one of those ballers who flew the African and Cameroonian flag.

To this day I remember the exploits of that great team. They made the world stand up and respect African football. :clap:
:clap: :clap: that team poor officiating do them against England,They were the better team in quarter final against England
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

This was definitely my favourite player of that team......and I just loved his name. :thumb:

Then....

...and now.

True legend.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Add Victor Ndip. The whole of Nigeria was solidly behind Cameroon and I went to bed without eating my dinner because I was upset when England beat Cameroon in the quarter finals.
I am happy
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

who the hell are they?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

kalani JR wrote:who the hell are they?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You gorra be kee-ring, right?

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Makanaky wrote:We know you have our back even though you can't bring yourselves to admit it.
So you were on this gra gra grass cutting team?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

kajifu wrote:
Chimurenga Rebel wrote:They where unapologetically African. They had a swag to the way they played their football. The names sounded very exotic for us in Zimbabwe. We cheered them on in Harare.

:clap: :clap: that team poor officiating do them against England,They were the better team in quarter final against England

Nah maN wasn't poor officiating but robbery
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Damunk wrote:
...and now.

True legend.
From Simon Kuper's book "Football Against The Enemy" (Page 121):

.........................................................……..Makanaky, a star at
the World Cup, was not even a regular at Toulon in 1990. 'We were
watching the match against Argentina, with some friends', says Peter
Bosz, a Dutchman who played with Makanaky at Toulon,' and I told
them, "Watch that number 20, he plays for us but he's useless." And
then I see him beating men and helping his defence, unbelievable.'
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cchinukw wrote:Emmanuel Kunde na kpangolo kpako jam bori.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Seriously? Seriously? You must mean Benjamin Massing. Emmanuel Kunde was one cultured footballer, one of the finest defenders I have ever seen. I'd say Kunde was the African Beckenbauer, a calm, confident, passing, playing out of defence defender.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Damunk wrote:This was definitely my favourite player of that team......and I just loved his name. :thumb:

Then....

...and now.

True legend.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Sorry, but I did not rate Makanaky. He had nice dreads and people loved his dreads, that's about it. The other dread, Jean-Claude Pagal, was way better, though they played different positions.