Ranking the NEXT SE Coach

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Ranking the NEXT SE Coach

Post by Enugu II »

In my view, Gernot Rohr who will finish as the longest serving Nigerian coach must start wining or he is in his last years as the NT Coach. That much is or should be clear. We have never had a coach with such futility given the time in the saddle. For him to stay on, the only way out is winning. No longer is it enough to claim that he is coaching young players and the team is for the future. It is likely win or leave for Rohr.

Given the above scenario and its near certainty, it is time to think about who may well be the replacements. I believe that the era of claiming that Nigerians are perpetually understudying European coaches should be over. The stats bear no support that such understudied coaches had been better than the local coaches, in spite of the huge wages devoted to the former. Moreover, there are a number of Nigerian coaches that are just as good or have the potential to be just as good.

I rank them below. You may argue about the ranking. I do not claim that the ranking here is perfect but it gives an idea what I think of them. I have ranked the likes of Oliseh, Eguavoen, and Salisu a bit lower than should be expected. The rank is not strictly based on their abilities but also a reflection of a troubled past. Here is the preliminary raking:

1. Emmanuel Amuneke -- In my view, he is the next Nigerian national team coach. He is simply bidding his time. The play of his Tanzanian team at the last AFCON and his U-17 WC win plus the performance of graduates of that team point to a glowing future for this guy.

2. Abdu Makaiba -- This is the magician coach in the NPFL. Wherever he goes not only does the team change in winnings but their play improves remarkably. With a college degree, he is quite different from the average local Nigerian coach and he also has the coaching papers and wins to prove it.

3. Ndubuisi Egbo -- Quite new but came into consciousness with his recent victory leading Tirana to Albanian league championship may be a harbinger to the future. Although it is still early days, given Nigerians' penchant for all things European, surely Egbo is getting some rave views.

4. Sunday Oliseh -- In my view, this guy should be a bit above the ladder but his personality puts him here. Really an abrasive character going by his reported encounters both as a player and a coach, whether with Nigeria or overseas. However, it is clear that he is technically astute.

5. Finidi George -- I may have ranked him higher than he deserves. This rank is simply a leap of faith. He is one of the legendary national team players and he has the coaching papers but not much else.

6. Gbenga Ogungbote -- Results-wise, Gbenga has been great. He has produced wherever he has been at the local level. However, his teams' style of play is not universally admired when compared to say Abdul Maikaba's style.

7. Fidelis Ilechukwu -- Fidelis is one of the young local coaches. He did wonders with MFM in the NPFL and he has done quite well with Heartland in spite of meagre resources. He is possibly best used as a top assistant.

8. Kennedy Boboye -- One may argue that he should rank a bit higher but the reality is while he has been consistent, his teams have not been universally admired in terms of how they play.

9. Augustine Eguavoen -- Eguavoen is an itinerant-type of coach. His inability to stay long on the job has been seen as a negative. However, he has achieved success especially during his time with the national team but has not stayed long anywhere at the club level and, thus, the jury remains out on him.

10. Imama Amakapabo -- Imama had a magnificent year taking Enugu Rangers to a national title a few years ago and deserved an invitation to assist at the national level. Then the youth national teams happened. It was a disaster and his reputation took a major knock.

11.Salisu Yusuf -- Salisu should rank much higher but the bribery scandal, a few years ago, cannot and should not be ignored. Performance-wise, Salisu has been top notch wherever he had been both at the club levels in Nigeria and coaching the home-based national team. But can the bribery scandal really be ignored?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ranking the NEXT SE Coach

Post by bret- hart »

You forgot about Eddie Newton of Trabsonspor. Dude is of Naija decent as well.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bret- hart wrote:You forgot about Eddie Newton of Trabsonspor. Dude is of Naija decent as well.
Great point. I bet I missed a few others as well. Eddie definitely should be on the list after leading Trabzonspor to the Turkish Cup. Great point :thumbs:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

All these people will have to wait until AFTER Qatar 2022.

You do not wish Nigeria well if you are agitating for something else.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle EII, I applaud you for typing this just to keep Eagles nest active, albeit with gibberish.

But when you are serious, one name stands above all .....

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

No white man in your list. INVALID!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...dem no go let dis oyinbo man Rohr rest and work, instead na to permutation who go replace am every week or month.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:Uncle EII, I applaud you for typing this just to keep Eagles nest active, albeit with gibberish.

But when you are serious, one name stands above all .....

1naija,

We are listing only bonafide coaches. :rotf: :rotf: I am not aware that the guy you put up is one of them ooo!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

bret- hart wrote:You forgot about Eddie Newton of Trabsonspor. Dude is of Naija decent as well.
Eddie led a training session with my uncle for my primary school football team when I was a kid. We ended up reaching the semi-finals of the cup after being knocked out on penalties.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Eddie led a training session with my uncle for my primary school football team when I was a kid. We ended up reaching the semi-finals of the cup after being knocked out on penalties.
So what you're saying is that he'll be the perfect Super Eagles' coach?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
But even that tells you something, it is not like he took pros to beat young kids one would suppose. He did demonstrate it at the pro level as well when coaching adults. He has now been at the pro level for sometime. I would not sleep on him. It is not like we have not hired guys with less pedigree before.
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

Enugu II wrote:In my view, Gernot Rohr who will finish as the longest serving Nigerian coach must start wining or he is in his last years as the NT Coach. That much is or should be clear. We have never had a coach with such futility given the time in the saddle. For him to stay on, the only way out is winning. No longer is it enough to claim that he is coaching young players and the team is for the future. It is likely win or leave for Rohr.

Given the above scenario and its near certainty, it is time to think about who may well be the replacements. I believe that the era of claiming that Nigerians are perpetually understudying European coaches should be over. The stats bear no support that such understudied coaches had been better than the local coaches, in spite of the huge wages devoted to the former. Moreover, there are a number of Nigerian coaches that are just as good or have the potential to be just as good.

I rank them below. You may argue about the ranking. I do not claim that the ranking here is perfect but it gives an idea what I think of them. I have ranked the likes of Oliseh, Eguavoen, and Salisu a bit lower than should be expected. The rank is not strictly based on their abilities but also a reflection of a troubled past. Here is the preliminary raking:

1. Emmanuel Amuneke -- In my view, he is the next Nigerian national team coach. He is simply bidding his time. The play of his Tanzanian team at the last AFCON and his U-17 WC win plus the performance of graduates of that team point to a glowing future for this guy.

2. Abdu Makaiba -- This is the magician coach in the NPFL. Wherever he goes not only does the team change in winnings but their play improves remarkably. With a college degree, he is quite different from the average local Nigerian coach and he also has the coaching papers and wins to prove it.

3. Ndubuisi Egbo -- Quite new but came into consciousness with his recent victory leading Tirana to Albanian league championship may be a harbinger to the future. Although it is still early days, given Nigerians' penchant for all things European, surely Egbo is getting some rave views.

4. Sunday Oliseh -- In my view, this guy should be a bit above the ladder but his personality puts him here. Really an abrasive character going by his reported encounters both as a player and a coach, whether with Nigeria or overseas. However, it is clear that he is technically astute.

5. Finidi George -- I may have ranked him higher than he deserves. This rank is simply a leap of faith. He is one of the legendary national team players and he has the coaching papers but not much else.

6. Gbenga Ogungbote -- Results-wise, Gbenga has been great. He has produced wherever he has been at the local level. However, his teams' style of play is not universally admired when compared to say Abdul Maikaba's style.

7. Fidelis Ilechukwu -- Fidelis is one of the young local coaches. He did wonders with MFM in the NPFL and he has done quite well with Heartland in spite of meagre resources. He is possibly best used as a top assistant.

8. Kennedy Boboye -- One may argue that he should rank a bit higher but the reality is while he has been consistent, his teams have not been universally admired in terms of how they play.

9. Augustine Eguavoen -- Eguavoen is an itinerant-type of coach. His inability to stay long on the job has been seen as a negative. However, he has achieved success especially during his time with the national team but has not stayed long anywhere at the club level and, thus, the jury remains out on him.

10. Imama Amakapabo -- Imama had a magnificent year taking Enugu Rangers to a national title a few years ago and deserved an invitation to assist at the national level. Then the youth national teams happened. It was a disaster and his reputation took a major knock.

11.Salisu Yusuf -- Salisu should rank much higher but the bribery scandal, a few years ago, cannot and should not be ignored. Performance-wise, Salisu has been top notch wherever he had been both at the club levels in Nigeria and coaching the home-based national team. But can the bribery scandal really be ignored?
Rohr has done very well and should continue for as long as he continues to do what he is doing. Any person who does not have any coaching or playing experience with top European teams should not come near the SE bench. That should be the minimum acceptable standard. There should be no experimentation with SE
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ahidjo2 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:In my view, Gernot Rohr who will finish as the longest serving Nigerian coach must start wining or he is in his last years as the NT Coach. That much is or should be clear. We have never had a coach with such futility given the time in the saddle. For him to stay on, the only way out is winning. No longer is it enough to claim that he is coaching young players and the team is for the future. It is likely win or leave for Rohr.

Rohr has done very well and should continue for as long as he continues to do what he is doing. Any person who does not have any coaching or playing experience with top European teams should not come near the SE bench. That should be the minimum acceptable standard. There should be no experimentation with SE

Ahidjo,

But playing experience with top European teams should never be a criterion for a national team coach. If it is, Arrigo Sacchi, in spite of his later renowned coaching career, would never have coached Italy. So also some other top national coaches elsewhere. Joao Saldanha, the well known Brazilian coach, was appointed coach from a position of a journalist. He was never a top player. Yet as a coach he was reverred. Your playing career has little to do with how well you coach, whether that career is in Europe or Africa.

What should matter is the individual's intellect. I bet you do know that such intellect is not only reserved for those who have played or coached in Europe. Shuaibu Amodu never had a career playing in Europe and he never coached there and yet he became one of the best Nigeria ever had as a coach. Those criteria, in my view, are grossly overrated and irrelevant. What matters is one's knowledge and ability and not whether the person resided in a particular locale. This isn't the dark ages. Football coaching can be learned by someone in Kafanchan just like it can be learned by someone in London. This is an era of globalization and access to knowledge no matter where one resides. It is 2020 and not 1930.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

LOL at this thread.

Imagine going to work in your job and ppl are discussing who is going to replace you. Not how to make you successful.

What in the entire fuckery is this ish?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo wrote:LOL at this thread.

Imagine going to work in your job and ppl are discussing who is going to replace you. Not how to make you successful.

:rotf: :rotf: Well, we have to be thinking about eventualities. Be prepared, bros.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Enugu II wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: Well, we have to be thinking about eventualities. Be prepared, bros.
Prof,

I beg u, let this man rest/work biko.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

It’s called succession planning. In my job, we have identified 5 people capable of taking over from me and put in place development plan to help prepare them.
It’s what well run organisations do as a matter of course.
Quite common and highly recommended.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Imagine thinking Rohr is an employee of Cyber Eagles.

This is a discussion forum. What did you think this place was?
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

kalani JR wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
:rotf:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

I know football news are slow at the moment but to speculate on Rohr’s replacement years before that happens is taking joblessness to another level.

How do u know that does guys will be still in coaching or free when the time comes....? Also all the candidates have no experience or have failed in their former or current jobs.

This thread should be locked....

We have a coach.....let’s support him fully....until he fails then...(don’t tell me about planning ahead pls)
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enyi wrote:I know football news are slow at the moment but to speculate on Rohr’s replacement years before that happens is taking joblessness to another level.

How do u know that does guys will be still in coaching or free when the time comes....? Also all the candidates have no experience or have failed in their former or current jobs.

This thread should be locked....

We have a coach.....let’s support him fully....until he fails then...(don’t tell me about planning ahead pls)
If CE had the power to sack Rohr or control the functions of the NFF things will be very different, it's a fan site and fans discuss.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Enugu II wrote:In my view, Gernot Rohr who will finish as the longest serving Nigerian coach must start wining or he is in his last years as the NT Coach. That much is or should be clear. We have never had a coach with such futility given the time in the saddle. For him to stay on, the only way out is winning.
I am not a fan of Rohr but isn't the premise of this thread flawed?
What is his winning % compared to other past SE coaches?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

niyi wrote:
Enugu II wrote:In my view, Gernot Rohr who will finish as the longest serving Nigerian coach must start wining or he is in his last years as the NT Coach. That much is or should be clear. We have never had a coach with such futility given the time in the saddle. For him to stay on, the only way out is winning.
I am not a fan of Rohr but isn't the premise of this thread flawed?
What is his winning % compared to other past SE coaches?
Seems the only 'winning' that counts is the AFCON gold.
So when Prof says`'start winning" he is effectively saying he should win AFCON.
Nothing wrong in that but considering there has only been one opportunity to win it so far, it sounds strange to hear "start winning" as if he has lost many opportunities to win AFCON.

As for winning ratios, I posted his record vs Keshi's a few months ago. People were not interested.
He had already notched up more wins than Keshi with fewer games.
And Keshi had been our best coach in terms of "winning".

DATA SOURCE:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/stephen-k ... 550/plus/1?
saison_id=&verein_id=3444&liga=&wettbewerb_id=&trainer_id=

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gernot- ... 824/plus/1?
saison_id=&verein_id=3444&liga=&wettbewerb_id=&trainer_id=
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "