Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyegbeni

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

onwuatuegwu
Egg
Egg

Post by onwuatuegwu »

https://www.completesports.com/oliseh-g ... aiyegbeni/

August 11, 2020 12:26 pm

Erstwhile Nigeria international striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni says former Super Eagles captain and coach, Sunday Oliseh was a better defensive midfielder during his playing days than fellow ex-Eagles skipper, John Obi Mikel.

Controversy over Nigeria’s greatest player ever continues to rage on even among ex-internationals with Aiyegbeni’s disagreeing with fellow Eagles legend, Daniel Amokachi who recently rated Mikel as Nigeria’s greatest footballer.

Speaking on Sports Zone on Lagos Talks from his England base, Aiyegbeni says Mikel is not even the greatest defensive midfielder Nigeria has produced preferring to give the honour to Oliseh.

The Yak as Aiyegbeni was known during his playing days however, concedes that while Mikel’s superior trophy cabinet might lend credence to the “greatest-ever” tag, Oliseh was much the superior player.

“Mikel is the greatest because of the trophies he has won. Don’t get me wrong, Mikel is a very, very good player [but] there’s no way you can compare Mikel with Sunday Oliseh. No chance, no chance,” said Aiyegbeni who retired in 2015 as Nigeria’s third-highest goalscorer with 21 goals in 57 caps.

“Mikel did so well in his career in Chelsea, he won a lot of trophies [but] there is nowhere in the world you can compare Mikel and Sunday Oliseh.

“Oliseh is a better player than Mikel. Mikel won a lot of trophies but Oliseh was unbelievable,” the former Portsmouth and Everton striker added.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyeg

Post by 1naija »

Aiyegbemi is right. Oliseh was a better defensive midfielder, but I think Mikel was better player in general because he had offensive capabilities that Oliseh didn't have. They were both great players.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:Aiyegbemi is right. Oliseh was a better defensive midfielder, but I think Mikel was better player in general because he had offensive capabilities that Oliseh didn't have. They were both great players.
Unku, I can post grainy videos of Oliseh that actually prove otherwise...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

1naija wrote:Aiyegbemi is right. Oliseh was a better defensive midfielder, but I think Mikel was better player in general because he had offensive capabilities that Oliseh didn't have. They were both great players.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Thats not even in question. Oliseh was on another level.

That said, two of my favorite Eagles. Both extremely intelligent footballers and men. They made football look so easy. :clap: :clap: Kaii! Now, its brainlessness we are forced to watch.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

onwuatuegwu wrote:https://www.completesports.com/oliseh-g ... aiyegbeni/

Erstwhile Nigeria international striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni says former Super Eagles captain and coach, Sunday Oliseh was a better defensive midfielder during his playing days than fellow ex-Eagles skipper, John Obi Mikel.

Controversy over Nigeria’s greatest player ever continues to rage on even among ex-internationals with Aiyegbeni’s disagreeing with fellow Eagles legend, Daniel Amokachi who recently rated Mikel as Nigeria’s greatest footballer.

Speaking on Sports Zone on Lagos Talks from his England base, Aiyegbeni says Mikel is not even the greatest defensive midfielder Nigeria has produced preferring to give the honour to Oliseh.

The Yak as Aiyegbeni was known during his playing days however, concedes that while Mikel’s superior trophy cabinet might lend credence to the “greatest-ever” tag, Oliseh was much the superior player.

“Mikel is the greatest because of the trophies he has won. Don’t get me wrong, Mikel is a very, very good player [but] there’s no way you can compare Mikel with Sunday Oliseh. No chance, no chance,” said Aiyegbeni who retired in 2015 as Nigeria’s third-highest goalscorer with 21 goals in 57 caps.

“Mikel did so well in his career in Chelsea, he won a lot of trophies [but] there is nowhere in the world you can compare Mikel and Sunday Oliseh.

“Oliseh is a better player than Mikel. Mikel won a lot of trophies but Oliseh was unbelievable,” the former Portsmouth and Everton striker added.

..really? "No Chance"? How's this even an objective stance?
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

paj wrote:
onwuatuegwu wrote:https://www.completesports.com/oliseh-g ... aiyegbeni/

..really? "No Chance"? How's this even an objective stance?
I know you do not know the meaning of "objective." However, just to help you, this is not objective. smh
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Mikel is one of the most intelligent and technical footballers 9ja ever produced..the one thing he wont be remembered for is his shooting..which Oliseh was better at...
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I agree with Yak. I'll take Oliseh over Mikel.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

What?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I don't know why people always love to compare players, to start with both are different kind of players, I know whom I would have loved to be on the ball when we lost to Italy in 1994, but I will keep the answer to myself.

That is not even saying one is better, but I know who I would want to be with the ball in that dying minutes of that Italian game.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:I don't know why people always love to compare players, to start with both are different kind of players, I know whom I would have loved to be on the ball when we lost to Italy in 1994, but I will keep the answer to myself.

That is not even saying one is better, but I know who I would want to be with the ball in that dying minutes of that Italian game.
Oloye,

You dis man sef. We can infer. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

BTW, I agree COMPLETELY. Especially, those two were decidedly different types of players.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

oloye wrote:I don't know why people always love to compare players, to start with both are different kind of players, I know whom I would have loved to be on the ball when we lost to Italy in 1994, but I will keep the answer to myself.

Since we want to pick and chose which player we would have prepared on a particular play in a WC game we lost, which player would you have preffered in this one we won?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zwNmuudmUU[/video]
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

1naija wrote:

Since we want to pick and chose which player we would have prepared on a particular play in a WC game we lost, which player would you have preffered in this one we won?

mumu that other team had a better shot at the world cup than this one.. :roll:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

paj wrote:
1naija wrote:

You know you can't read, so why are you embarrassing yourself?
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

Mutiu vs Mikel is a better debate. I pick Mutiu all the way
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

It’s a tough comparison O!
Not really similar players, but often had similar roles in their teams.
Mikel was better at shielding the back four. Unfortunately he didn’t like playing that role for Nigeria.
Oliseh was slightly ahead at turning defence to attack, and had a knack for stepping up to score. But compared to Mikel, he could sometimes leave his defenders exposed.
Oliseh’s long passing was ahead of Mikel’s, which is saying something because Mikel wasn’t bad at all. Mikel perhaps saw more unusual passes than Sunny, and his touch was severely under-rated.
I think in GWG Oliseh had more impact. Clue career, Mikel is untouchable, and that’s not just down to trophies. He had so many monster games agains the world’s best players.
We’re lucky to have had them both.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

paj wrote:
1naija wrote:

He's just a 62 year old drunk! He knows nothing about football, the idiat doesn't even know the difference between Kamala the wrestler and Kamala, Joe Biden's running mate! :taunt: :taunt:
I am happy
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Personally the debate in my head is who carried their respective team more in Tunisia 94 and SA 2013
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Chriskendo43
Egg
Egg

Post by Chriskendo43 »

Mikel is the better player not even close
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

waka-man wrote:It’s a tough comparison O!
Mikel was better at shielding the back four. Unfortunately he didn’t like playing that role for Nigeria.
Oliseh was slightly ahead at turning defence to attack, and had a knack for stepping up to score. But compared to Mikel, he could sometimes leave his defenders exposed.
Oliseh’s long passing was ahead of Mikel’s, which is saying something because Mikel wasn’t bad at all. Mikel perhaps saw more unusual passes than Sunny, and his touch was severely under-rated.
I think in GWG Oliseh had more impact. Clue career, Mikel is untouchable, and that’s not just down to trophies. He had so many monster games agains the world’s best players.
Interesting, Oliseh did have more of an offensive drive, but I think overall Mikel shades it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI5HlEaHuNY[/video]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0VBb40XHPs[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

waka-man wrote:It’s a tough comparison O!
By the way, not arguing with your points, as I said, everything is subjective.

However, OBJECTIVELY, Oliseh played for clubs that were bigger than any club Mikel ever played for. And Oliseh had monster games against the world's best players.