Man. City 1 vs Lyon 3

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Man. City 1 vs Lyon 3

Post by mcal »

...good to see City lose today :thumbs:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Man. City 0 vs Lyon 1

Post by mcal »

danfo driver wrote:900 million Euros spent and he still needs Messi to win CL for him! Check book failure! :lol: :lol:
...i think Pep the pepe will go the way of Mourinho, trickle down to a struggling team and struggle on. Spain, Germany, England, next Italy? Wonder with whom.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

joplass wrote:Pep is a small coach. Like someone said here earlier, Rijkaard left a Barca team that guided him to win trophies. He had free reign at Bayern idem at City but he can't go anywhere.
This is actually an often told lie. Pep built his Barca team. He forced out Rijkaard's men like Deco, Ronaldinho and Eto'o
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

danfo driver wrote:
green4life wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
green4life wrote:
danfo driver wrote:This just shows you how weak the English league is.

And I hope everyone can also see how tough the so called "one team" German league is? With Bayern, Leipzig, Dortmund and Leverkusen, the likes of United, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal will never finish top 4.
Lol. Where was this comment last season? By your conclusion, the French league is stronger than EPL, La Liga & Serie A abi?
You judge leagues by seasons.

Secondly, I dont think you understand my analysis. I watch the Bundesliga and it is stronger than the EPL this season. Remember when Pa Jimoh was celebrating the Leipzig draw in december and I told him that he should be begging for Barca and Madrid, because Leipzig will murder them?? Did you see what happened in London and leipzig???

If you watch the Bundesliga, you will know how weak the EPL is, compared to the Bundesliga.
My guy, I hear you but you are using a tiny sample size to reach a conclusion which explains why your reasoning doesn't support the notion that the French league is better than EPL, La Liga and Serie A.
Not necessarily. its like me saying the Italian league is better than EPL because many years ago Serie A was the best league in the world. Or if i say the Spanish league is better than the EPL because 2 years ago Madrid, Bayern and Atleti were on fire.

My argument here is based on a full league season I have watched. Even Dortmund will flog the sh1t out of the likes fo Arsenal, Tottenham, United and Chelsea.

Do you remember last year when I was arguing with CIC about Leverkusen? and what Bosz was doing there? Oh boy, for this season, the EPL is not on Germany's level.
Slow your roll. Yes City was beaten by Lyon. Bayern has beaten a couple of EPL teams. They are a very good team but don't use that to judge in a season when certain teams have been in rebuilding mode.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

danfo driver wrote:
joplass wrote:Pep is a small coach. Like someone said here earlier, Rijkaard left a Barca team that guided him to win trophies. He had free reign at Bayern idem at City but he can't go anywhere.
This is actually an often told lie. Pep built his Barca team. He forced out Rijkaard's men like Deco, Ronaldinho and Eto'o
I don't know how people succumb to a popular lie so easily
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Guardiola deserved this loss just like Atalanta, both decided not to play their natural game and paid the price.
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

joplass wrote:
5' added, City 1 Lyon 3. Every City player is in the Lyon side of the pitch, the City keeper held the ball for about 5" looking to pass the ball to someone. Why pass and pass and pass the ball if you should try and land the ball as close as possible to the opponent 18 yard box?
Land the ball to whom?

I guess you say he doesn't have the personnel but he was also in charge of putting together the current squad. So you both have a point.

Let's not overdo the Pep bashing. The UCL is a tough trophy to win, most coaches can testify, from Carlo Ancelloti to Alex Ferguson.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Donzman wrote:
joplass wrote:
5' added, City 1 Lyon 3. Every City player is in the Lyon side of the pitch, the City keeper held the ball for about 5" looking to pass the ball to someone. Why pass and pass and pass the ball if you should try and land the ball as close as possible to the opponent 18 yard box?
Land the ball to whom?

I guess you say he doesn't have the personnel but he was also in charge of putting together the current squad. So you both have a point.

Let's not overdo the Pep bashing. The UCL is a tough trophy to win, most coaches can testify, from Carlo Ancelloti to Alex Ferguson.
Also Pep is trying to figure out his defence. I was actually surprised by Denayer's performance for Lyon. Never rated the dude but it looks I may been biased based on a previous match.

Also Lyon's midfield - Was Ndombele really that good or did Lyon make him look good?
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

As case of algebra for arithmetic. Pep overdid it yesterday and paid the ultimate price.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Fernandinho is no Vincent Kompany.
I saw in his face as they marched onto the field the guy not gonna last, and that they will lose.
Being converted to cd was never ideal.
But who cares, they lost is all I care.
lionga
Egg
Egg

Post by lionga »

kalani JR wrote:Guardiola deserved this loss just like Atalanta, both decided not to play their natural game and paid the price.
He didn't play his natural game against Madrid either and won. Though considering the one-shot format of the knockout phase this year, maybe that's not the best thing to do here. Should at least have revamped things at HT.

The City players should take some of the blame too after that 2H. That Sterling miss at the end is unforgivable. That's the other Achilles heel with City over the years, they aren't clinical enough in front of goal. Before Lyon scored in the 2H I concluded that City would likely lose to Bayern if they met for this sole reason. And it won't get any easier with Aguero getting older and more injury prone.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Why do people tell lies that city is not a clinical team infront of goal?
City is one of the most ruhtless team when their game click,
City struggle with teams that pressed high and well organised.
When City play team that can pass the ball and force them to errors they fold.
Go watch their last games with Chelsea,Arsenal,Manu etc.Even against Real in the first leg,the red card to Ramos was the reason they even make it this far.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

oloye wrote:
I am sorry but why do people struggle to give credit to whom it is due? This is why coaches uproot a team and bring in their own. Rijkaard had such a good team and yet could not keep his job? As much as I don't like Guardiola, truth is Barca under him played the best football I ever saw, far better that anything Rijkaard will ever produce. Guardiola's problem is that he has refused to evolve, he has been found out and like many great coaches before him he had his time and his inability to evolve means time has moved on. But let no one come here and try to diminish what he did with all this he inherited a team. He got a team that was struggling as soon as it hit the top, he stripped the team and ré engineered the team, and that team for about 3 seasons played some unbelievable football this generation would ever see, they decimated teams across Europe. I hate Barca and Guardiola around that time for their dominance, but I will never take away a man's achievement because of anything. We can hate on Guardiola, we can call him spend spend coach but please let us not diminish his achievement, it is not fair.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Rare voice of wisdom on CE. Tell them. I don't like Guardiola either, but let us not deny what he has accomplished.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cristao II wrote:
Slow your roll. Yes City was beaten by Lyon. Bayern has beaten a couple of EPL teams. They are a very good team but don't use that to judge in a season when certain teams have been in rebuilding mode.
Okay, lets do it this way.

Which is the stronger league this season: the German league or the English league?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Donzman wrote:
joplass wrote:
Land the ball to whom?

How many coaches have spent 900 million in one team and failed to win the CL? :rotf: :rotf:

How many coaches have coached Bayern and Man City and failed to win the CL? :rotf: :rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cristao II wrote:
Donzman wrote:
joplass wrote:
Land the ball to whom?

Also Pep is trying to figure out his defence. I was actually surprised by Denayer's performance for Lyon. Never rated the dude but it looks I may been biased based on a previous match.

Also Lyon's midfield - Was Ndombele really that good or did Lyon make him look good?
Now you are just taking the piss and cannot be taken seriously! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: someone have spent in excess of 500 million Euros on a defense and bought and sold several keepers are will and "he is trying to figure out his defense." You are a very funny comedian :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: you need to do stand up, for real :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

lionga wrote:
kalani JR wrote:Guardiola deserved this loss just like Atalanta, both decided not to play their natural game and paid the price.
He didn't play his natural game against Madrid either and won. Though considering the one-shot format of the knockout phase this year, maybe that's not the best thing to do here. Should at least have revamped things at HT.

The City players should take some of the blame too after that 2H. That Sterling miss at the end is unforgivable. That's the other Achilles heel with City over the years, they aren't clinical enough in front of goal. Before Lyon scored in the 2H I concluded that City would likely lose to Bayern if they met for this sole reason. And it won't get any easier with Aguero getting older and more injury prone.
They should have found an Aguero replacement by now for several reasons and many of the misses were unforgivable but for Pep to play such a defensive game and still lose is all his doing. One of the common criticisms of Mourinho in the past was the his teams were the equivalent of buying and Ferrari and observing city speed limits while driving in the country...this is exactly what Pep did and it wasn't exactly done out of connivence like when Jose did it.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

danfo driver wrote:
:lol:
Some people just do wickedness for a living. :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cristao II wrote:
Also Pep is trying to figure out his defence.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I still cant believe someone wrote this down with a straight face! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

4 years and 900 million and someone actually took his time to write this???!!! Just wow!

By the way, after spending 200 million on wing backs, he was playing cancelo (a RB) at LB, while Angelino (City's LB) was playing LB for Leipzig :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
lionga
Egg
Egg

Post by lionga »

kajifu wrote:Why do people tell lies that city is not a clinical team infront of goal?
Go watch their last games with Chelsea,Arsenal,Manu etc.Even against Real in the first leg,the red card to Ramos was the reason they even make it this far.
City create a lot of chances but their conversion rate is not always good enough. Just like the 2H in this game. Judging by the xG stats they should've won 2-1 or 3-1; instead they lost 1-3. They wiil not be the first elite possession team to struggle with pressing, they should've made their superiority count at the other end.
kalani JR wrote:
lionga wrote:

They should have found an Aguero replacement by now for several reasons and many of the misses were unforgivable but for Pep to play such a defensive game and still lose is all his doing. One of the common criticisms of Mourinho in the past was the his teams were the equivalent of buying and Ferrari and observing city speed limits while driving in the country...this is exactly what Pep did and it wasn't exactly done out of connivence like when Jose did it.
Fair points, though I recall that Pep is traditionally criticized for being too much of a purist; now we fault him for failed pragmatism :lol: . TBF it's not like he didn't have reason to be concerned about Lyon's front two, as as the game itself showed. Looking at that 1H formation and the back 3 - Garcia and a slow Fernandinho at wide CB? Maybe it would've better to shift Walker to CB and put Cancelo and Mendy in their natural positions if he wanted to do that.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

lionga wrote:
kajifu wrote:Why do people tell lies that city is not a clinical team infront of goal?
City create a lot of chances but their conversion rate is not always good enough. Just like the 2H in this game. Judging by the xG stats they should've won 2-1 or 3-1; instead they lost 1-3. They wiil not be the first elite possession team to struggle with pressing, they should've made their superiority count at the other end.
kalani JR wrote:
lionga wrote:

Fair points, though I recall that Pep is traditionally criticized for being too much of a purist; now we fault him for failed pragmatism :lol: . TBF it's not like he didn't have reason to be concerned about Lyon's front two, as as the game itself showed. Looking at that 1H formation and the back 3 - Garcia and a slow Fernandinho at wide CB? Maybe it would've better to shift Walker to CB and put Cancelo and Mendy in their natural positions if he wanted to do that.
Hmmm I've never seen him as too puristic in his football, he was willing to expend Eto'o for Adebayor and eventually got Zlatan very early in his career partly because he wanted to have the "route one" option.