Lyon 0 Bayern 3 (Gnabry X 2, Lewa) FT

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Lyon 0 Bayern 2 (Gnabry X 2)

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:I think in first half Lyon showed signs why Guardiola adjusted his tactics.

But for poor finishing, this here's a different game...

That said, Bayern is just too powerful...
Nope. Pep's change of tactics had less to do with Lyon and more to do with the profile of the players he had faith in for that game.

The bottomline is Pep's most relatable players are not the fastest sprinters so he had to adjust his formation to mitigate that weakness. when deploying the Rodrigo, Gundogan plus KDB, in a track meet, they will struggle especially with unreliable CBs behind them.
I think you should listen to his interview after the game...

“What we have done is try to cover our weak points,” Guardiola explained on BT Sport. “And also comparing to their strong points.

“They attack the channels really well and I didn’t want to leave them. That’s why.
“We then unblocked our respect a bit, we struggled initially, but in the same shape we attacked well.
... because he did not have players that could match them up in terms of physical attributes unlike Bayern Munich that doesn't have to adjust due to their superior quality physically and talent wise. Pep is not alone by the way but when another manager (like Lampard) did the same - switching to 343 - due to shortfall of players meeting the profile needed for the task, you turn a blind eye ... But if it's Pep, it makes a helluva sense :lol:
Bro, leave this Lampard issue...

You have agreed with me Pep had reason to adjust his tactics, contrary to popular media punditry...

That is all. You can continue your Lampard defence on the chelsea thread...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

charlie wrote:
Coach wrote:
txj wrote:Ekambi not up to this level...
Fresh from the class of the 90s, all leg, no brain.
To be fair, Ekambi has had some inspiring moments in this years competition.
He just had a very rough game.
Interesting from a comically entertaining perspective perhaps. No goals in the contest, 2 goals all season. Shaun Goater, Jason Lee, Philomen Masinga. Same cloth.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

why was that ruled out?

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:I think in first half Lyon showed signs why Guardiola adjusted his tactics.

Nope. Pep's change of tactics had less to do with Lyon and more to do with the profile of the players he had faith in for that game.

The bottomline is Pep's most relatable players are not the fastest sprinters so he had to adjust his formation to mitigate that weakness. when deploying the Rodrigo, Gundogan plus KDB, in a track meet, they will struggle especially with unreliable CBs behind them.

“What we have done is try to cover our weak points,” Guardiola explained on BT Sport. “And also comparing to their strong points.

“They attack the channels really well and I didn’t want to leave them. That’s why.
“We then unblocked our respect a bit, we struggled initially, but in the same shape we attacked well.
... because he did not have players that could match them up in terms of physical attributes unlike Bayern Munich that doesn't have to adjust due to their superior quality physically and talent wise. Pep is not alone by the way but when another manager (like Lampard) did the same - switching to 343 - due to shortfall of players meeting the profile needed for the task, you turn a blind eye ... But if it's Pep, it makes a helluva sense :lol:

You have agreed with me Pep had reason to adjust his tactics, contrary to popular media punditry...

Pep is your boy. I also understand you don't rate anything England. No wahala.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

VAR is useless. How they moved along like that Countinho goal wasn't well onside is straight up foul :lol:
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

green4life wrote:VAR is useless. How they moved along like that Countinho goal wasn't well onside is straight up foul :lol:
It is offside. A 2nd Bayern player slightly touched the ball with extended shin.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

3-0 Lewa

Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Apere goalkeeper :lol: :lol:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Game set match. Lyon just ran completely out of steam.

PSG v Bayern is setting up to be a real cracker between 2 great teams.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Kako wrote:Apere goalkeeper :lol: :lol:
Hard to blame the keeper on a perfectly placed header like that..
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:

Pep is your boy. I also understand you don't rate anything England. No wahala.
I'm a Liverpool fan. wetin consign me with Pep

especially considering his mealy mouthed defence of City's cooking the books...

Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

His defenders are short and mounted no challenge to a 6ft+++.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

In many ways, this game came down to finishing, duly recognizing the difference in quality of personnel.

Lyon's exposed a lot of things for Tuchel and PSG to chew on...

But you gotta admire the power of Munich. That might be what gives them the edge...
Last edited by txj on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

All 1st XI players are tired.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

txj wrote:In many ways, this game came down to finishing, duly recognizing the difference in quality of personnel.

But you gotta admire the power of Munich. That might be what gives them the edge...
And their experience. They always looked like they had an extra gear to go to today and never looked flustered when under pressure.

Anything can happen on Sunday, but Bayern have to remain favorites to win it all.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote:

.. and also a Barca fan (for La Liga). This is well documented on this forum.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:
txj wrote:

.. and also a Barca fan (for La Liga). This is well documented on this forum.

Pep is not the Barcelona coach, but City's, a direct rival of Liverpool.

wetin consign me with Pep?

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Oguleftie wrote:
His defenders are short and mounted no challenge to a 6ft+++.
One of the many threats Bayern posed, the kind of variety City did not have when they needed options.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

txj wrote:In many ways, this game came down to finishing, duly recognizing the difference in quality of personnel.

Power and pace.

Unlike English teams they can also play.