Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyegbeni

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Re: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyeg

Post by Robotnik »

Oliseh as SE coach was benching Mikel for Onobi :rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Robotnik wrote:Oliseh as SE coach was benching Mikel for Onobi :rotf:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The funny part is that you actually think your post is an assault on Oliseh. However, your post just shows your poor education, reasoning and reading comprehension.

Go to good school, no! They will send people to school without roof, teachers and books. See the result???! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Two different eras sha. But Oliseh you can call in the current era but can Mikel ball in Oliseh's era? I doubt it with the yam legs they all have back then.

1) Who is the better athlete? Oliseh
2) Better leader on the field? I will say Oliseh again, he just brings so much physicality and energy.
3) Better passer? Tie here with slight edge to Mikel.
4) Better shooter? Oliseh
5) Better dribbler? Mikel.
6) Prototype midfeild physique? Olseh
7) Better ball skill? Oliseh
8) Better sprinter/cover space on the field? Oliseh
9) Someone that can carry a team down on his shoulder? Mikel.
10) Better offensive threat? Oliseh
11)Pound for pound better footballer in a heated contest? Tie.
12) Better header of the ball? Tie

I give the edge to Oliseh. I suspect what truncated his career was his attitude and the cancer on a team he can be sometimes from what I have read in the media. Disclaimer: My opinions.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

oscar52 wrote:Two different eras sha. But Oliseh you can call in the current era but can Mikel ball in Oliseh's era? I doubt it with the yam legs they all have back then.

2) Better leader on the field? I will say Oliseh again, he just brings so much physicality and energy.

I give the edge to Oliseh. I suspect what truncated his career was his attitude and the cancer on a team he can be sometimes from what I have read in the media. Disclaimer: My opinions.
Kpom, Oliseh was a better midfielder than Mikel...
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Tobi17 wrote:
oscar52 wrote:Two different eras sha. But Oliseh you can call in the current era but can Mikel ball in Oliseh's era? I doubt it with the yam legs they all have back then.

1- Right
2 - not Oliseh, not at club level and certainly not for the NT
6 - People DONT know how imposing Mikel is on and off the field
7 - Ball skills - really??? Mikel was an AM before he was moved back
10 - Answer as above Oliseh had JJ with him....he was a ball carrier nothing else
11 - Better Footballer - Mikel
12 - header of the ball - Oliseh

Oliseh is a better shooter and header of the ball....otherwise not much else
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

You are never recruited or to play for Ajax without having high football IQ!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I saw Oliseh play for the SE at 19. A 19 year old Oliseh was better than Obi at the same age in my view.

BUT over time, Mikel became a much superior player than Oliseh at his height. In all areas if I must add with one significant exception: The long range bulala
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Enyi wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

1- Right
10 - Answer as above Oliseh had JJ with him....he was a ball carrier nothing else

You never ever watched Sunday Oliseh play and please go and see what his team mates say about him. Oliseh was a very strong leader and carried the Super Eagles well. I have never seen Oliseh play "Big man football for Super Eagles.
eXAMPLE OF A LEADER,Oliseh was sick during ANC 2000,vs Senegal we werent really doing rhe business,a sick oliseh wore his jersey came on and changed the game for us,passing alone? Watch the benefits of yeking from a young Olisehin Tunisia 94,why you even think they call him pass master?
I m very convinced half of you guys only started watching football after 2000 because some of you wont even open your to sa some of the things you are saying.

Then again this is cybereagles where i believe some of you have only managed to see youtube highlights and did follow Naija football religiously until some of you came abroad(being judgmental here )

Anyway we all have opinions ,Mikel got better as a Super Eagle player years later but both came from different Era amd during their best times as Super Eagles players Oliseh was more dominant
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

omey2k4 wrote:
Enyi wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

1- Right

You never ever watched Sunday Oliseh play and please go and see what his team mates say about him. Oliseh was a very strong leader and carried the Super Eagles well. I have never seen Oliseh play "Big man football for Super Eagles.
eXAMPLE OF A LEADER,Oliseh was sick during ANC 2000,vs Senegal we werent really doing rhe business,a sick oliseh wore his jersey came on and changed the game for us,passing alone? Watch the benefits of yeking from a young Olisehin Tunisia 94,why you even think they call him pass master?
I m very convinced half of you guys only started watching football after 2000 because some of you wont even open your to sa some of the things you are saying.

Then again this is cybereagles where i believe some of you have only managed to see youtube highlights and did follow Naija football religiously until some of you came abroad(being judgmental here )

Anyway we all have opinions ,Mikel got better as a Super Eagle player years later but both came from different Era amd during their best times as Super Eagles players Oliseh was more dominant
Mikel played for Nigeria even when he knew that his dad was Kidnapped. He also sponsored the Nigerian Olympic team with his personal money. I call that patriotism! Also Mikel could control the tempo of a game and was the main player in almost every game for Nigeria while Oliseh had to do the dirty work for Jay Jay.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Omey why are you even vexing, what you wrote is your own opinion. Everyone has one....Mikel is and was bigger than Oliseh on and off the field be it club football or green white green. Numbers don't lie...
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Omey why are you even vexing, what you wrote is your own opinion. Everyone has one....Mikel is and was bigger than Oliseh on and off the field be it club football or green white green. Numbers don't lie...
A lot of ppl just dont like Mikel. Bad belle too plenty.

Oliseh was very good as well but not as consistent as Mikel.

And please stop showing highlight of the pass for the goal against Gabon in ANC'94....That Gabonese joke of a high line was embarrassing to see.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

That Gabon team was trash,
SuperEagles

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Mikel and Oliseh are two different type of players who played similar roles over their careers. I like both almost equally but I prefer Mikel. For me, he's one of the top professional footballers that Nigeria has ever produced because he sticks to the task and does his job consistently. For many it may appear insignificant, but unfortunately, the average Nigerian footballer struggles at this seemingly simple trait especially those with high football ability.

Mikel wasn't the shoo-in DM at Chelsea over the 10 years because they always had a new coach just about every season and the club always bought new midfielders which meant he almost yearly had to prove himself which he usually did resulting in an average of 40 or so appearances per season including starts in almost all the cup finals by the end of those seasons (FA Cup, Champions League, etc). Gus Hindink and Di Matteo preferred MIkel as their DM's; Grant preferred Mikel as his DM for domestic games and went with Maka for CL while others ranged from heavy rotation to not rating him highly (like AVB who benched him in the season Mikel helped CFC win the CL - what an irony).

By the way, Oscar must be the most overrated player ever since he left Chelsea for China at the ripe age of 26yrs old. He's still in China by the way! Well done Mace04.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:Mikel and Oliseh are two different type of players who played similar roles over their careers. I like both almost equally but I prefer Mikel. For me, he's one of the top professional footballers that Nigeria has ever produced because he sticks to the task and does his job consistently. For many it may appear insignificant, but unfortunately, the average Nigerian footballer struggles at this seemingly simple trait especially those with high football ability.

Mikel wasn't the shoo-in DM at Chelsea over the 10 years because they always had a new coach just about every season and the club always bought new midfielders which meant he almost yearly had to prove himself which he usually did resulting in an average of 40 or so appearances per season including starts in almost all the cup finals by the end of those seasons (FA Cup, Champions League, etc). Gus Hindink and Di Matteo preferred MIkel as their DM's; Grant preferred Mikel as his DM for domestic games and went with Maka for CL while others ranged from heavy rotation to not rating him highly (like AVB who benched him in the season Mikel helped CFC win the CL - what an irony).

By the way, Oscar must be the most overrated player ever since he left Chelsea for China at the ripe age of 26yrs old. He's still in China by the way! Well done Mace04.
Thank you :thumbs: Is it about rating or comparing the two players? I've already rated/selected Mikel just like you did, but its also a point to Oliseh that he was desired and sought after by multiple top teams while Mikel had to stick around hoping to 'prove' himself (according to you) year after year. Even after how many years of being a professional bobo still couldn't attract another top club that would value him? But all in all as far as club and eagles are concerned I still prefer Mikel. But facts are facts, no vex my guy :mrgreen:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote:
green4life wrote:Mikel and Oliseh are two different type of players who played similar roles over their careers. I like both almost equally but I prefer Mikel. For me, he's one of the top professional footballers that Nigeria has ever produced because he sticks to the task and does his job consistently. For many it may appear insignificant, but unfortunately, the average Nigerian footballer struggles at this seemingly simple trait especially those with high football ability.

Thank you :thumbs: Is it about rating or comparing the two players? I've already rated/selected Mikel just like you did, but its also a point to Oliseh that he was desired and sought after by multiple top teams while Mikel had to stick around hoping to 'prove' himself (according to you) year after year. Even after how many years of being a professional bobo still couldn't attract another top club that would value him? But all in all as far as club and eagles are concerned I still prefer Mikel. But facts are facts, no vex my guy :mrgreen:
No wahala my brother. Its all love. :thumbs:
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Great set-up by Yakubu and great thread.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyegbeni

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mikel for me
SuperEagles

scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Gadfly wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:06 pm You are never recruited or to play for Ajax without having high football IQ!
Pius Ikedia?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

scholl wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:31 am
Gadfly wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:06 pm You are never recruited or to play for Ajax without having high football IQ!
Pius Ikedia?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Its Tijani Babangida I blame. Fantastic winger, with brain, but Nigerians remember him more for his pace (J5). Because of him, we stopped looking for smart wingers. Ikedia, Musa, Simon, Ezoenyi, all birthed from that. Tufia! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyegbeni

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Nigerians have a penchant for delusion. There is very little statistically that suggests Oliseh was a better offensive player than Mikel. Yes he scored more club goals, 18 in an 18 year span, which isn’t saying a whole lot, but Mikel’s role as the primary playmaker for Nigeria gives him a big edge over Oliseh. Mikel was a much more well rounded player than Oliseh❗️

Cheers.