Abandonment of Football by Fed Authorities in N. Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Abandonment of Football by Fed Authorities in N. Nigeria

Post by Bell »

By population and land area, the northern states of Nigeria are more than 50% of the country yet have historically contributed only a miniscule amount to Nigerian football and other sports. Nigerian sports authorities have come to accept the status quo as though that’s the way things are supposed to be.

Typically, Nigerians hate to invest in anything that doesn’t have immediate returns so knowing that investing in sports in the north might take decades to yield significant results, no administration has found it worth its while to invest in sports in that region.

Northern Nigeria is bigger than many African countries and would no doubt participate in sports if it were a separate nation. Does anyone think that a separate north cannot provide football players good enough to provide at least depth to the Super Eagles if not outright stars? Is it possible that this region could yield the long distance runners in track & field which the south lacks because southerners are naturally sprinters?

These questions cannot be answered unless the Nigerian sports authorities overcome their myopia and invest in northern sports. By ignoring such a big part of Nigeria, the country will continue to sub-optimize its sports performance.
Bell
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Abandonment of Football by Fed Authorities in N. Nigeria

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Land mass and population have nothing to do with football development. Countries like Croatia, Denmark and Uruguay that are much smaller and likely have fewer people than the entire population of mainland Lagos beat us on the regular. Even with the dominance of the SE and SS, I doubt we've even discovered 20% of the potential football talent available.

Our problem is that we're a severely underdeveloped country with little structure to anything related to sports. I'm sure there're more osihmens, JJ and Kanu in the north but somebody will have to spend months in the dusty streets to find them. Assuming the scout doesn't get kidnapped or killed, he'd then have to teach them modern football.

Only solution I can think of is to revamp the NSC and have them build regional sports colleges all over Nigeria, maybe 2-3 in each zone. Football,track and field can be the primary focus. Within 2 yrs we'll find at least 10 youngsters who can run the 100m in less than 10secs and lots of ballers.
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Land mass and population have nothing to do with football development. Countries like Croatia, Denmark and Uruguay that are much smaller and likely have fewer people than the entire population of mainland Lagos beat us on the regular. Even with the dominance of the SE and SS, I doubt we've even discovered 80% of the potential football talent available.

Our problem is that we're a severely underdeveloped country with little structure to anything related to sports. I'm sure there're more osihmens, JJ and Kanu in the north but somebody will have to spend months in the dusty streets to find them. Assuming the scout doesn't get kidnapped or killed, he'd then have to teach them modern football.

Only solution I can think of is to revamp the NSC and have them build regional sports colleges all over Nigeria, maybe 2-3 in each zone. Football,track and field can be the primary focus. Within 2 yrs we'll find at least 10 youngsters who can run the 100m in less than 10secs and lots of ballers.

WELL, THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING

One form of investment is to establish several regional centers all over the country and bring in kids for development. There could be social issues but I think such an investment in the north, plus encouragement of sports in elementary and h/schools, would soon yield fruits.

I do think having a large population doesn't hurt because the more you have to choose from, the more likely you'll strike pay dirt. Right now, Nigeria is only exploiting 50% of its available population.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Land mass and population have nothing to do with football development. Countries like Croatia, Denmark and Uruguay that are much smaller and likely have fewer people than the entire population of mainland Lagos beat us on the regular. Even with the dominance of the SE and SS, I doubt we've even discovered 80% of the potential football talent available.

WELL, THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING

One form of investment is to establish several regional centers all over the country and bring in kids for development. There could be social issues but I think such an investment in the north, plus encouragement of sports in elementary and h/schools, would soon yield fruits.

I do think having a large population doesn't hurt because the more you have to choose from, the more likely you'll strike pay dirt. Right now, Nigeria is only exploiting 50% of its available population.
Bell
50?
More like 20. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: One form of investment is to establish several regional centers all over the country and bring in kids for development. There could be social issues but I think such an investment in the north, plus encouragement of sports in elementary and h/schools, would soon yield fruits.

Bell
Just to expand on your excellent point, these centres shouldnt be hard to establish but I wonder whether it should be the government or the private sector.

Everyone is going gag-ga about the Real Madrid Academy in Port Harcourt but what is stopping private concerns or governments doing the same in regional centres around the country?

The Fed Govt Colleges have delivered huge returns for Nigeria in terms of manpower and so there is no reason why the sporting equivalent cannot be set up along the same lines.
Only difference being there'd be a heavy emphasis on sport even though education would also be vital and a condition for progress through the academies. The recent government shift in attitude towards sport as a business is welcome but there needs to be more joined-up thinking.

I will always go back to the phenomenally successful Bendel State of old and before that, the Mid Western State. Colleges like Hussey College just had no rival sports-wise.
I will bump my 'Bendelism' thread and see whether it can generate further discussion.

'
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...good ideas but poor and selfish administrators the crock of Nigeria sport problem.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote:...good ideas but poor and selfish administrators the crock of Nigeria sport problem.
Ogbemudia wasn't exactly a saint himself but he at least got some things done.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Bell wrote:By population and land area, the northern states of Nigeria are more than 50% of the country yet have historically contributed only a miniscule amount to Nigerian football and other sports. Nigerian sports authorities have come to accept the status quo as though that’s the way things are supposed to be.

Typically, Nigerians hate to invest in anything that doesn’t have immediate returns so knowing that investing in sports in the north might take decades to yield significant results, no administration has found it worth its while to invest in sports in that region.

Northern Nigeria is bigger than many African countries and would no doubt participate in sports if it were a separate nation. Does anyone think that a separate north cannot provide football players good enough to provide at least depth to the Super Eagles if not outright stars? Is it possible that this region could yield the long distance runners in track & field which the south lacks because southerners are naturally sprinters?

These questions cannot be answered unless the Nigerian sports authorities overcome their myopia and invest in northern sports. By ignoring such a big part of Nigeria, the country will continue to sub-optimize its sports performance.
Bell
Let the North invest in themselves...
Preferably starting with education, in which sports can be co-opted.

Instead of state govts building mosques, hiring imams and funding pilgrimages (all of which should be in the realm of private life - and to a lesser extent, some states in the South with christianity), perhaps they should be building more schools and (or with) sports facilities and hiring more teachers and coaches.
Last edited by Gotti on Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:
mcal wrote:...good ideas but poor and selfish administrators the crock of Nigeria sport problem.
But he apparently was...
He was only 1 of 2 state governors not found guilty of any financial misappropriation by the Murtlala govt.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:Just to expand on your excellent point, these centres shouldnt be hard to establish but I wonder whether it should be the government or the private sector.

Everyone is going gag-ga about the Real Madrid Academy in Port Harcourt but what is stopping private concerns or governments doing the same in regional centres around the country?

The Fed Govt Colleges have delivered huge returns for Nigeria in terms of manpower and so there is no reason why the sporting equivalent cannot be set up along the same lines.
Only difference being there'd be a heavy emphasis on sport even though education would also be vital and a condition for progress through the academies. The recent government shift in attitude towards sport as a business is welcome but there needs to be more joined-up thinking.

I will always go back to the phenomenally successful Bendel State of old and before that, the Mid Western State. Colleges like Hussey College just had no rival sports-wise.
I will bump my 'Bendelism' thread and see whether it can generate further discussion.
There are private academies all over Nigeria...

Nonetheless, private concerns tend to make RATIONAL economic decisions...
So what exactly would be the incentive (risk v reward, cost v benefit) for private regional academies?
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Bell wrote:By population and land area, the northern states of Nigeria are more than 50% of the country yet have historically contributed only a miniscule amount to Nigerian football and other sports. Nigerian sports authorities have come to accept the status quo as though that’s the way things are supposed to be.

Bell
My guy, there had never been a credible census in Nigeria. So, all that claim that Northern population is 50% of country nah story and myth. Apart from Kano, the north is sparsely populated. I’m tired of the North using population scheme to outsmart the rest of the country. I went to a Federal Government College high school; and I can authoritatively tell you that the so called quota system didn’t help the Northerners I schooled with. Each state should develop at their own pace. Federal government is not the answer to everything in my own opinion.

By the way, are you a Northerner? I’m just asking.....
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

iworo wrote:

Bell
My guy, there had never been a credible census in Nigeria. So, all that claim that Northern population is 50% of country nah story and myth. Apart from Kano, the north is sparsely populated. I’m tired of the North using population scheme to outsmart the rest of the country. I went to a Federal Government College high school; and I can authoritatively tell you that the so called quota system didn’t help the Northerners I schooled with. Each state should develop at their own pace. Federal government is not the answer to everything in my own opinion.

iworo,

I am really surprised. Does he have to be a Northerner in order to share that opinion? I think his home in Nigeria or ethnic base is unimportant, if you ask me. In any case, let us keep this stuff focused on football. The political issues can be argued elsewhere.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

iworo wrote:

Bell

Unfortunately The most popular and most laughable cliche’ you get once you pose any question to anyone in Nigeria is - “the government should help us do ...............bla......bla........bla....... Government that doesn’t exist !!!! I pity my people because if only they have the slightest idea of how nonexistent this govt they yearn for there would be nonstop riots on Nigeria streets.
First, how much doest it take to set up an academy or at least build a community sports center. I was stationed in Germany for several years and travelled every inch of that country. Every little remotest town in Germany has a community sports center where kids as little as four yrs old play in competitive recreational teams and eventually progress to bigger stuff as they mature. It’s part of the entire landscape and were put together not by any govt but by pops and moms since way back and of course some of the centers have morphed into mini sports complexes etc. on any given weekend these fields are packed with soccer moms cheering their toddlers. I knew this because I was one of those parents cruising the autobahn every Saturday to deliver my boys to one these pitches. America towns have done the same things since late 80s and we are the so called soccer nation even before Americans knew what soccer was. I know Musa has done something similar but bigger in Jos. Really all it takes is clear an area put a soccer field and public toilet, water and electricity. $10 would set up one of those but people would sit there waiting for a nonexistent govt to come and build an academy.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote:Unfortunately The most popular and most laughable cliche’ you get once you pose any question to anyone in Nigeria is - “the government should help us do ...............bla......bla........bla....... Government that doesn’t exist !!!! I pity my people because if only they have the slightest idea of how nonexistent this govt they yearn for there would be nonstop riots on Nigeria streets.
First, how much doest it take to set up an academy or at least build a community sports center. I was stationed in Germany for several years and travelled every inch of that country. Every little remotest town in Germany has a community sports center where kids as little as four yrs old play in competitive recreational teams and eventually progress to bigger stuff as they mature. It’s part of the entire landscape and were put together not by any govt but by pops and moms since way back and of course some of the centers have morphed into mini sports complexes etc. on any given weekend these fields are packed with soccer moms cheering their toddlers. I knew this because I was one of those parents cruising the autobahn every Saturday to deliver my boys to one these pitches. America towns have done the same things since late 80s and we are the so called soccer nation even before Americans knew what soccer was. I know Musa has done something similar but bigger in Jos. Really all it takes is clear an area put a soccer field and public toilet, water and electricity. $10 would set up one of those but people would sit there waiting for a nonexistent govt to come and build an academy.
People in Nigeria who ask for government help in Nigeria do not necessarily do so because they actually believe that the government is more efficient or effective, but because it is a veritable source of "free" money and a cesspool for corruption. There are many local town unions executing communal projects all over Nigeria, but every participant therein is accountable for every penny expended. In contrast, government funds mostly sink into a blackhole of unaccountability. Look at the billions spent on the Kwara Football Academy with practically nothing to show for it.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:iworo,

I am really surprised. Does he have to be a Northerner in order to share that opinion? I think his home in Nigeria or ethnic base is unimportant, if you ask me. In any case, let us keep this stuff focused on football. The political issues can be argued elsewhere.
EII:

The stark reality is that ethnicity (and often primordial politics) are never divorced from these matters in Nigeria. Even the author of this thread was only recently wondering why there were so many Ibo players called up for a Falcons' game (and on that occasion lectured that ethnicity and sports are perfectly suitable co-subjects of discourse). In fact, one could rationally posit that an unspoken premise underlying this thread is that the North is under some sort of unique structural deprivation or disadvantage that should redressed by Nigeria's federal government. This reality is one of several reasons the government (especially the federal government) is ill-suited for any such project.

Would these regional centers be opened to participation of non-indigenes (or non-regional citizens)? Or would a Nigerian citizen of Southern origin not be able to participate in these programs financed by his/her parents' taxes on account of ethnic or regional origin? Who would run them or be employed therein? Would it be acceptable if the majority of prospects/players churned out therefrom turn out to be non-indigenes (just as Northern-based female football clubs are mostly populated by players from the South)? And if so, would that not effectively defeat the stated aim of these regional centers to develop or harness prospects/players of Northern origin?

Reality is there's little that's so substantively unique about the North to inherently impose a disability or deprivation in sports development and therefore necessitating a special regional program for the North. Most of the athletes from the South (including footballers, before the relatively recent advent of nascent "academies") got their start in SCHOOLS, and this includes players of Southern ethnicity born/bred in the North (eg, Mikel, the Atuegbu Brothers, Godwin Ogbueze, etc., at St. Theresa's Jos). DaMUNK talks about "Bendelism" but those athletes at Afuze (Imo had a similar facility under the late Jerry Enyeazu) were sourced from SCHOOL competitions.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:iworo,

EII:

The stark reality is that ethnicity (and often primordial politics) are never divorced from these matters in Nigeria. Even the author of this thread was only recently wondering why there were so many Ibo players called up for a Falcons' game (and on that occasion lectured that ethnicity and sports are perfectly suitable co-subjects of discourse). In fact, one could rationally posit that an unspoken premise underlying this thread is that the North is under some sort of unique structural deprivation or disadvantage that should redressed by Nigeria's federal government. This reality is one of several reasons the government (especially the federal government) is ill-suited for any such project.

Would these regional centers be opened to participation of non-indigenes (or non-regional citizens)? Or would a Nigerian citizen of Southern origin not be able to participate in these programs financed by his/her parents' taxes on account of ethnic or regional origin? Who would run them or be employed therein? Would it be acceptable if the majority of prospects/players churned out therefrom turn out to be non-indigenes (just as Northern-based female football clubs are mostly populated by players from the South)? And if so, would that not effectively defeat the stated aim of these regional centers to develop or harness prospects/players of Northern origin?

Reality is there's little that's so substantively unique about the North to inherently impose a disability or deprivation in sports development and therefore necessitating a special regional program for the North. Most of the athletes from the South (including footballers, before the relatively recent advent of nascent "academies") got their start in SCHOOLS, and this includes players of Southern ethnicity born/bred in the North (eg, Mikel, the Atuegbu Brothers, Godwin Ogbueze, etc., at St. Theresa's Jos). DaMUNK talks about "Bendelism" but those athletes at Afuze (Imo had a similar facility under the late Jerry Enyeazu) were sourced from SCHOOL competitions.
You articulated my thoughts so perfectly! You nailed it :clap: :clap: :agree: .
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Bell
There has never been investment in sports in the south; none more than the north.
It just happened that the south folks liked doing sports.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
...true, reason why Bendel use to be one of the tops in national sports, and churning out top athletes, but his good acts were never continued as is everything about subsequent Nigerian administrators.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
...true, reason why Bendel use to be one of the tops in national sports, and churning out top athletes, but his good acts were never continued as is everything about subsequent Nigerian administrators.
Because just like the rest of them he made it about himself; he goes the sports goes
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

jette1 wrote:
mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Because just like the rest of them he made it about himself; he goes the sports goes
Why do you say that jette1?

Afuze Sports Centre, New Era College, Bendel Insurance, Ogbe Stadium (which also had a proper sized swimming pool), Ogbe Hard court tennis tournament etc. All of these facilities were still on ground when Ogbemudia left.

It wasn't about him, he had set a solid foundation and his predecessors only needed to keep things going which they all failed to do as one.

Instead, imbeciles like Jerry Useni were using the state security allowance to chase girls up and down.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote: One form of investment is to establish several regional centers all over the country and bring in kids for development. There could be social issues but I think such an investment in the north, plus encouragement of sports in elementary and h/schools, would soon yield fruits.

Bell
Just to expand on your excellent point, these centres shouldnt be hard to establish but I wonder whether it should be the government or the private sector.

'
IT COULD BE BOTH GOVT AND PRIVATE INTEREST

Generally, I favor private enterprise over govt but private people would not invest their money unless, and rightfully so, they see a way to make a profit, and make it quickly. Other than soccer, it's hard to draw a clear line between investment and profits.

Investment doesn't necessarily mean empty the banks. It could be as simple as selecting a number of high schools, declare them regional centers and provide the necessary facilities and resources. It could also mean convincing LG chairpersons to invest in parks to provide facilities for the youth and public. Schools could be encourage to embrace sports and competition between schools initiated. And where there are social barriers maybe a way around it could be found.

Samuel Ogbemudia was a visionary in Nigerian sports but most other officials are hardly so.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

YEP, BUT...

...that should not prevent good ideas from being adopted and implemented. Just need to find ways to overcome or minimize them.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Gotti wrote:

Bell
Let the North invest in themselves...
Preferably starting with education, in which sports can be co-opted.

Instead of state govts building mosques, hiring imams and funding pilgrimages (all of which should be in the realm of private life - and to a lesser extent, some states in the South with christianity), perhaps they should be building more schools and (or with) sports facilities and hiring more teachers and coaches.
TO BE SURE...

...this suggestion doesn't preclude individual states from investing in themselves and it doesn't necessarily mean doesn't necessarily mean the central govt should send trucks loaded with cash to any entity or region. It could mean as little as little as bringing awareness to the lack of participation to a region and educating same of the benefits of being involved. Moreover, if cash is to be disbursed, it could be done in such a way that all parts of the country receive a share.
Bell