I don't care, I just have one question

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

highbury
Egg
Egg
I don't care, I just have one question

Post by highbury »

Can someone tell me Nigeria's football philosophy under Rohr? It's now 4yrs with Rohr at the helm and I have no idea what it really is
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I don't care, I just have one question

Post by fabio »

highbury wrote:Can someone tell me Nigeria's football philosophy under Rohr? It's now 4yrs with Rohr at the helm and I have no idea what it really is
Rohr is building a team, so be patient!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

We haven’t played in a year, and we have several new players and a few days of practice...
Even if Socrates and Aristotle were the coaches, one cannot extract “philosophy” from this game.

However, we LEARN (Rohr’s favorite thing 8-) ) and move on.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I have simple advice for Rohr. I see what he's trying to do. He's trying to copy the best teams out there with this quick play kinda soccer...think Man City.

The problem is to execute this soccer, you need good, technical players that have great ball control, and can either make split second decisions or know where to send the ball before they even get the ball. Nigeria does not seem to have those kinda players right now, so a lot of our plays die quick deaths....primarily due to a dearth of technical talent.

The easiest solution for Nigeria is to slow the play down with a gifted PLAYMAKER. Someone who has the technical skills to hold the ball and allow Nigerian players to make runs, which he can then service. This fast ball thing exposes our weaknesses IMO. Algeria wasn't that much better (a bit better technically), but they got in front early....
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

deanotito wrote:I have simple advice for Rohr. I see what he's trying to do. He's trying to copy the best teams out there with this quick play kinda soccer...think Man City.

The problem is to execute this soccer, you need good, technical players that have great ball control, and can either make split second decisions or know where to send the ball before they even get the ball. Nigeria does not seem to have those kinda players right now, so a lot of our plays die quick deaths....primarily due to a dearth of technical talent.

The easiest solution for Nigeria is to slow the play down with a gifted PLAYMAKER. Someone who has the technical skills to hold the ball and allow Nigerian players to make runs, which he can then service. This fast ball thing exposes our weaknesses IMO. Algeria wasn't that much better (a bit better technically), but they got in front early....
Huh?! :shock:

If that’s what he is actually trying to do, then it’s been an unmitigated failure...
This team is about as far from Man City, technically and philosophically, as humanly possible.

Put lipstick on a pig and it’s still bovine...
Rohr has his own (conservatively orthodox) philosophy and it has no visible nexus to Man City’s.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

deanotito wrote:I have simple advice for Rohr. I see what he's trying to do. He's trying to copy the best teams out there with this quick play kinda soccer...think Man City.

Or perhaps you meant Bolton (which is in the greater Manchester area)... :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Not sure it's intentional, but the only philosophy I see is to sit back soak up pressure and hit our opponents on the counter. That's what we essentially do when we play "good attacking teams".
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

olu wrote:Not sure it's intentional, but the only philosophy I see is to sit back soak up pressure and hit our opponents on the counter. That's what we essentially do when we play "good attacking teams".
If you intend to play classic counter-attacking football...
You don’t put a LUMBERJACK upfront (with due respect to Onuachu, who actually tried).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Our BEST team is now lacking technical talent??? So it is now that we LACK talent? Ok ooo
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:
olu wrote:Not sure it's intentional, but the only philosophy I see is to sit back soak up pressure and hit our opponents on the counter. That's what we essentially do when we play "good attacking teams".
You don’t put a LUMBERJACK upfront (with due respect to Onuachu, who actually tried).
Tried to do what? Sabotage us with every touch?
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I think his philosophy is pretty clear.
A direct, often pressing side that wins the ball and swiftly gets the ball into dangerous areas. It’s perfect manifestation is the 3rd goal against Cameroon in the ANC.
He wants ball winning in the middle and full backs with pace and attacking ability to support a front four.
But he wants this done on a fairly rigid defensive platform and is happy to compromise attacking play to maintain that foundation even if that means relying on the counter.

So the philosophy is clear.

It’s implementation though, is WIP.

- He’s not settled on those full backs
- He’s doesn’t have any depth in DM/CM
- He’s sacrificing his most dangerous wide forward (Iwobi) due to the absence of a genuine attacking DM

But on the whole, it seems pretty clear to me what he is trying to do.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Gotti wrote:

Or perhaps you meant Bolton (which is in the greater Manchester area)... :lol:
WOWSERS :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Gotti wrote:
He embarrassed his basketball team today, no free-throws abi PK's for him to score like in Belgium...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

waka-man wrote:I think his philosophy is pretty clear.
A direct, often pressing side that wins the ball and swiftly gets the ball into dangerous areas. It’s perfect manifestation is the 3rd goal against Cameroon in the ANC.
He wants ball winning in the middle and full backs with pace and attacking ability to support a front four.
But he wants this done on a fairly rigid defensive platform and is happy to compromise attacking play to maintain that foundation even if that means relying on the counter.

So the philosophy is clear.

It’s implementation though, is WIP.

- He’s not settled on those full backs
- He’s doesn’t have any depth in DM/CM
- He’s sacrificing his most dangerous wide forward (Iwobi) due to the absence of a genuine attacking DM

But on the whole, it seems pretty clear to me what he is trying to do.
Except on those occasions he plays Shehu at RB (and previous Echiejile at LB)? :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote:
Gotti wrote:
He definitely tried to HELP the team...

He won numerous headers, harried defenders, got back to defend, tried to prevent the Algerians bringing the ball out from defense, etc. Problem is with the formation (and thus the coaches), because if you play that sort of player (an old-fashioned classic CF), you have to put someone close to him. What's the point in punting the ball upfront (which we did repeatedly - seemingly every time Ekong touched the ball), and have Onuachu win the header and knock the ball down or onwards, only for none of the other forwards or Iwobi anywhere in sight to take advantage thereof?

If you are going to play such a player, you have to devise a formation or plan that takes optimal advantage of his skillsets (and simultaneously minimize any limitations). Not simply plunk him in place of Osimhen, who is a totally different sort of player.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Gotti wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Gotti wrote:
He definitely tried to HELP the team...

He won numerous headers, harried defenders, got back to defend, tried to prevent the Algerians bringing the ball out from defense, etc. Problem is with the formation (and thus the coaches), because if you play that sort of player (an old-fashioned classic CF), you have to put someone close to him. What's the point in punting the ball upfront (which we did repeatedly - seemingly every time Ekong touched the ball), and have Onuachu win the header and knock the ball down or onwards, only for none of the other forwards or Iwobi anywhere in sight to take advantage thereof?

If you are going to play such a player, you have to devise a formation or plan that takes optimal advantage of his skillsets (and simultaneously minimize any limitations). Not simply plunk him in place of Osimhen, who is a totally different sort of player.
I'm sure you saw Rohr's interview that Onuachu has to be the one to fit into Rohr's style, which makes zero sense. Rohr's game fits an Ighalo or Kelechi and is perfect for an Osimhen, if you are not going to change to a basketball team stop inviting Onuachu, jeeez! Ok make I relax small lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
He embarrassed his basketball team today, no free-throws abi PK's for him to score like in Belgium...
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I think you are confusing Onuachu for Dessers, whose 2 goals (from 6 games) are both PKs...
Anyway, they all count (would've taken a PK tonight), but "only" 3 of Onuachu's 7 goals have been PKs.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:I'm sure you saw Rohr's interview that Onuachu has to be the one to fit into Rohr's style, which makes zero sense. Rohr's game fits an Ighalo or Kelechi and is perfect for an Osimhen, if you are not going to change to a basketball team stop inviting Onuachu, jeeez! Ok make I relax small lol
Are you saying that if the defenders repeatedly hoof the ball upfield, he should not try to win headers?
Perhaps just push out his stomach like Musa and Kelechi, or jog around like the latter, until the ball is be played to his feet?
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Gotti wrote:
maceo4 wrote:I'm sure you saw Rohr's interview that Onuachu has to be the one to fit into Rohr's style, which makes zero sense. Rohr's game fits an Ighalo or Kelechi and is perfect for an Osimhen, if you are not going to change to a basketball team stop inviting Onuachu, jeeez! Ok make I relax small lol
Are you saying that if the defenders repeatedly hoof the ball upfield, he should not try to win headers?
Perhaps just push out his stomach like Musa and Kelechi, or jog around like the latter, until the ball is be played to his feet?
No he should, but it would be helpful if he actually wins the header and actually heads it towards one of his teammates, else its no different from letting the ball sail over your head to the keeper :mrgreen:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:No he should, but it would be helpful if he actually wins the header and actually heads it towards one of his teammates, else its no different from letting the ball sail over your head to the keeper :mrgreen:
He WON almost all the headers he contested...
Problem was that Iwobi, Samu and Kalu were ultra SOCIAL DISTANCING!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

wanaj0 wrote:

Our BEST team is now lacking technical talent??? So it is now that we LACK talent? Ok ooo
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wanaj0, please told dem (according to Zebrudayia)
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

some people do not want to accept the obvious-- we have a very bad coach.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

wanaj0 wrote:

Yes, we do. We are, to use a league analogy, a mid-table side....like a Crystal Palace, Osasuna, Wolfsburg. To get where we fans want the team to be (apparently, the soccer Rohr wants the team to play), we need better "technical" talent. Ball control is key. What we have are average players in the ball control department....so when closed down, they just end up losing the ball. If they play teams that give them space, they will do well. But against higher-caliber teams - especially the prepared ones - they will struggle.

In my opinion, this is not a style that plays to our strengths. If we are to be successful, I say we go back to the 90s. Get a playmaker. A good one...allow the speedsters to make runs and find them with the ball. This soccer we are playing right now doesn't work for us.

Yes Osimhen and Ndidi would help. Those 2 are world class. But they will not solve this problem

Anytime I watch Nigeria play, the ball handling is always so bad, I almost want to switch off.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet