My 10-point match analysis of the Alg vs NGA game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
My 10-point match analysis of the Alg vs NGA game

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] First of all, that jersey is garbage. It looks craps, does not intimidate the opponents and makes it hard for the fans to identify with the team as Nigeria. Nike should be told in no uncertain terms that this is the last time we want to see that kit

[2] As per the game itself, our biggest problem was the way we started. We were sluggish, lethargic, slow in the tackle, losing every 50:50 ball, not pressing high and conceding possession to the Algerians. We only turned things around after they scored. Gernot Rohr has to take full responsibility for this, as his pre-match team talk should have included a message to the players to expect the Algerians to come at us at 100 miles per hour. His team should have been well drilled to start the game on fire, with tackles flying in like it was a Merseyside or Manchester derby

[3] One other inexplicable decision was Rohr deciding to play Semi Ajayi as an anchorman. I fail to see the logic behind this. Semi is never going to play as a midfielder in a competitive game so playing him there was irrational. With Frank Onyeka, Samson Tijani and Chidera Ejuke in camp, surely it would have made more sense to start a combination of the two of them. Even if they were not up to it, we would have learnt a lesson or two from the experiment

[4] Today, our midfield was woefully inadequate with the absence of Ndidi, Aribo and Etebo too glaring for all to see. In the first half, the Ajayi/Onyeka combination was simply not functional. At halftime, I believe Rohr should have moved Ajayi into a back three and maybe brought on Mikel Agu to play alongside Onyeka. Even though Onyeka was poor, I believe he would have offered more of an offensive threat than Ajayi

[5] For me, the most positive aspect of the game was the energy of the fullbacks. Ebuehi and Sanusi worked the flanks brilliantly. They both, however, need to work on their crossing

[6] We actually had more possession than Algeria and in the second half dominated the play more, however, we lacked a cutting edge up front. For me, this all stemmed from the inability of Paul Onuachu to hold the ball up. Had Victor Osimhen played in this game, I believe we would have scored three goals. Why Dessers was not brought on for Onuachu at half time is beyond me

[7] This team also lacked creativity and initiative when it came to set pieces. More work needs to be done on the training ground on this

[8] I must pay tribute to Alex Iwobi for the way he carved the Algerians apart in this game. he was a delight to watch at times. Sadly, there was no striker to finish his moves. Iwobi missed a sitter himself and in the main, we were very profligate in front of goal with Kalu and Chukwueze both guilty of failing to take advantage of some slack Algerian defending at times

[9] At the back, Ekong and Balogun were by and large OK but they gave away too many fouls. Against sharper attackers, they would have been caught out. For me, Rohr should go for the Akpoguma/Ajayi central defensive partnership

[10] In summary, what this game has revealed is Nigeria's lack of depth. We simply do not have second string midfield to step in when Ndidi and Aribo are not available. Uptop as well, Rohr needs to accept that Onuachu is the the understudy for Osimhen we are looking for. In the main, I would call this a successful friendly as we learnt a lot from it.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: My 10-point match analysis of the Alg vs NGA game

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] First of all, that jersey is garbage. It looks craps, does not intimidate the opponents and makes it hard for the fans to identify with the team as Nigeria. Nike should be told in no uncertain terms that this is the last time we want to see that kit

[2] As per the game itself, our biggest problem was the way we started. We were sluggish, lethargic, slow in the tackle, losing every 50:50 ball, not pressing high and conceding possession to the Algerians. We only turned things around after they scored. Gernot Rohr has to take full responsibility for this, as his pre-match team talk should have included a message to the players to expect the Algerians to come at us at 100 miles per hour. His team should have been well drilled to start the game on fire, with tackles flying in like it was a Merseyside or Manchester derby

[3] One other inexplicable decision was Rohr deciding to play Semi Ajayi as an anchorman. I fail to see the logic behind this. Semi is never going to play as a midfielder in a competitive game so playing him there was irrational. With Frank Onyeka, Samson Tijani and Chidera Ejuke in camp, surely it would have made more sense to start a combination of the two of them. Even if they were not up to it, we would have learnt a lesson or two from the experiment

[4] Today, our midfield was woefully inadequate with the absence of Ndidi, Aribo and Etebo too glaring for all to see. In the first half, the Ajayi/Onyeka combination was simply not functional. At halftime, I believe Rohr should have moved Ajayi into a back three and maybe brought on Mikel Agu to play alongside Onyeka. Even though Onyeka was poor, I believe he would have offered more of an offensive threat than Ajayi

[5] For me, the most positive aspect of the game was the energy of the fullbacks. Ebuehi and Sanusi worked the flanks brilliantly. They both, however, need to work on their crossing

[6] We actually had more possession than Algeria and in the second half dominated the play more, however, we lacked a cutting edge up front. For me, this all stemmed from the inability of Paul Onuachu to hold the ball up. Had Victor Osimhen played in this game, I believe we would have scored three goals. Why Dessers was not brought on for Onuachu at half time is beyond me

[7] This team also lacked creativity and initiative when it came to set pieces. More work needs to be done on the training ground on this

[8] I must pay tribute to Alex Iwobi for the way he carved the Algerians apart in this game. he was a delight to watch at times. Sadly, there was no striker to finish his moves. Iwobi missed a sitter himself and in the main, we were very profligate in front of goal with Kalu and Chukwueze both guilty of failing to take advantage of some slack Algerian defending at times

[9] At the back, Ekong and Balogun were by and large OK but they gave away too many fouls. Against sharper attackers, they would have been caught out. For me, Rohr should go for the Akpoguma/Ajayi central defensive partnership

[10] In summary, what this game has revealed is Nigeria's lack of depth. We simply do not have second string midfield to step in when Ndidi and Aribo are not available. Uptop as well, Rohr needs to accept that Onuachu is the the understudy for Osimhen we are looking for. In the main, I would call this a successful friendly as we learnt a lot from it.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Egbon, the jersey was the LEAST of our issues today...
If we’re relying on jerseys to “intimidate” the opposition, Houston we have a REAL problem!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
LeonPhelps
Egg
Egg

Post by LeonPhelps »

This team is ranked 29th lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
"In Japan a corrupt person kills himself. In China, they kill him. In Europe and America they jail him. In Africa, he will present himself for election." - Prof. PLO Lumumba
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Gotti wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] First of all, that jersey is garbage. It looks craps, does not intimidate the opponents and makes it hard for the fans to identify with the team as Nigeria. Nike should be told in no uncertain terms that this is the last time we want to see that kit

If we’re relying on jerseys to “intimidate” the opposition, Houston we have a REAL problem!
Enough said❗️

Cheers.
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

Onuachu game doesnt suit the Eagles football brand. In the tall striker position, Rohr has tried Simeon nwankwo and Onuachu.. these two havent covered themselves in glory. For the tall striker posiiton, perhaps Umar Sadiq should be considered, Sadiq hold -up play is better and has better skill on the ball.
Rohr should also accept that Mikel Agu is not good enough for Super Eagles.
afc##
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

chuks69 wrote:

Onuachu game doesnt suit the Eagles football brand. In the tall striker position, Rohr has tried Simeon nwankwo and Onuachu.. these two havent covered themselves in glory. For the tall striker posiiton, perhaps Umar Sadiq should be considered, Sadiq hold -up play is better and has better skill on the ball.
Rohr should also accept that Mikel Agu is not good enough for Super Eagles.

I dont know why Rohr and them have not looked at Sadiq.

The guy is fast, has skills, scores and assists. He hasn't done himself any favours by moving to the Segunda but I think Rohr should call him up. To me he could be the perfect number 2 striker behind Osimehn.

Sometimes we gotta think outside the box.

Onuachu and this current Iheanacho are not it. Dessers also seems to be out of form.

Sadiq Umar.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Not true. This is a poor limited coach. He has always been, but we are stuck with him.

Your previous flavour of the season Nwakili, the soon to be capped Ejaria are midfield options. Etebo is another option & Awaziem might be a better option than Ajayi. The only reason anyone could try to justify playing Ajayi in midfield is that he has an eye for goal when he pushes up, but that is not nearly enough for a team like Nigeria.

So these are backup options in midfield, even if you exclude Onyeka & Agu (who were in action today) and Mikel & Azeez (who are likely done with the SE)
LeonPhelps
Egg
Egg

Post by LeonPhelps »

Iwobi 1/10- - - -- - Utterly USELESS as a no 10. USELESS!
Onuachu- 3/10- - - -- - No service
Chukwueze 3/10- - - -- - Just poor
Onyeka 3/10- - - -- - Just poor
Semi 4/10- - - -- - Not good enough
Kalu 4/10- - - -- - Not good enough
Ekong 5/10 - - - -- - Decent
Balogun 7/10 - - - -- - Nice performance
Tyronne 7/10- - - -- - Nice performance
Sanusi 7/10 - - - -- - Nice performance
Okoye 8/10 - - - -- - The star today

Ahmed Musa 3/10 - - - -- - Should retire, its over!
Moses Simon 2/10 - - - -- - I don't even know
Mikel Agu CHAI!- - - -- - CHAI!!!
Kelechi Ihenacho 5/10 - - - -- - Was decent
"In Japan a corrupt person kills himself. In China, they kill him. In Europe and America they jail him. In Africa, he will present himself for election." - Prof. PLO Lumumba
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

LeonPhelps wrote:Iwobi 1/10- - - -- - Utterly USELESS as a no 10. USELESS!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I actually think Nigeria has good depth. Our problem is there are a lot of poor tactial players in the team. There are a lot of selfish players in the team that make easy things look difficult. Simple pass they won't do. Simple husting to stay on side, they won't do. Simple cross they won't do. Simple marking in the box they won't do. Nigeria should work on playing better tactically. The players do things that will lead to them to be benched at their clubs at the national level.

I think we have good depth.

GK- Uzoho, Okoye
RB- Aina, Ebuehi, Ehibueze
LB- Sanusi, Collins
CB- Omeruo, Ekong, Awaziem, Akpoguma(sp), Balogun
MF- Ndidi, Aribo, Ejaria, Iwobi, Onyeka, Etebo, Agu,Nwakili
F/FW- Osimhen, Umar Sadiq, Iheanacho, Chukwuze, V Moses, Ejuke, S Moses, S Kalu, Onyekuru, Musa
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

ohenhen1 wrote:I actually think Nigeria has good depth. Our problem is there are a lot of poor tactial players in the team. There are a lot of selfish players in the team that make easy things look difficult. Simple pass they won't do. Simple husting to stay on side, they won't do. Simple cross they won't do. Simple marking in the box they won't do. Nigeria should work on playing better tactically. The players do things that will lead to them to be benched at their clubs at the national level.

GK- Uzoho, Okoye
LB- Sanusi, Collins
F/FW- Osimhen, Umar Sadiq, Iheanacho, Chukwuze, V Moses, Ejuke, S Moses, S Kalu, Onyekuru, Musa
who?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ANC wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I actually think Nigeria has good depth. Our problem is there are a lot of poor tactial players in the team. There are a lot of selfish players in the team that make easy things look difficult. Simple pass they won't do. Simple husting to stay on side, they won't do. Simple cross they won't do. Simple marking in the box they won't do. Nigeria should work on playing better tactically. The players do things that will lead to them to be benched at their clubs at the national level.

GK- Uzoho, Okoye
LB- Sanusi, Collins
who?

Kelechi Nwakali is the most talented of all those players listed. He is the only genuine two-way midfielder we have!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
ANC wrote:

GK- Uzoho, Okoye
LB- Sanusi, Collins
who?
Kelechi Nwakali is the most talented of all those players listed. He is the only genuine two-way midfielder we have!
Poor deluded soul :lol: You and this Nwakali. You better wake up and smell the coffee, bro.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gotti wrote:

I actually liked the jersey. You have limited options with green.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

LeonPhelps wrote:Iwobi 1/10- - - -- - Utterly USELESS as a no 10. USELESS!

If u rated Iwobi 1/10 in that game.....u know nothing about football and should try another sports bro....netball perhaps?
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........