REPORT: Nigeria 0 ALGERIA 1 (+ Individual Ratings)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
REPORT: Nigeria 0 ALGERIA 1 (+ Individual Ratings)

Post by Enugu II »

The team had some hiccups but it mostly produced a credible outing even with most of its regular midfielders at home. The stand ins did not indicate that they would earn spots over the absentees but in reality very few expected anything different from them. The new guys to watch for, instead included the wide back Sanusi who held his own against Mahrez in the wide area.
In my view, the result mattered little in this game. What mattered was the opportunity to see the team that Nigeria is building and to understand that conquering Africa will not be a piece of cake. A few days time, the expectations will be higher as Nigerians will duly expect a favorable result to keep faith in Rohr's methods.
https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2020/10/ ... ar-of.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: REPORT: Nigeria 0 ALGERIA 1 (+ Individual Ratings)

Post by ohenhen1 »

Overall rating- inconclusive.

The players first time playing with each other in a long time.

But good to see Okoye, Ebuehi playing well. Onauchu should work harder. Time to retire Akepyi. Okoye should be the number 2 behind Uzoho.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote:Overall rating- inconclusive.

But good to see Okoye, Ebuehi playing well. Onauchu should work harder. Time to retire Akepyi. Okoye should be the number 2 behind Uzoho.
Okoye did well but I do not think that is enough to anoint him just yet. As for Ebuehi, I was pleasantly surprised.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:

Okoye did well but I do not think that is enough to anoint him just yet. As for Ebuehi, I was pleasantly surprised.

If you were surprised by Ebuehi, then you have not been paying attention.

Overall, I liked what I saw from some of our youngsters and newcomers.

1. Okoye and Sanusi can become key players for us. The important thing for them will be to show growth at their clubsides, which should happen if they can nail down starting shirts.

2. From what I saw, I think that Akpoguma will be a good addition for us. Against Tunisia, though, I would like to see him in his more natural position, but it was useful to see him at Right back.

3. I was also impressed with Samson Tijani. Even if it was just a cameo, there was enough there to see his potential. He's not quite ready for prime time, but if he continues to improve, he will be knocking on the door of our midfield very soon.

4. Finally, with regard to the much maligned Frank Onyeka, I would like to see him again against Tunisia and will not rush to judgement. I have liked his performances with his clubside and he has definitely deserved his call up. Folks need to remember that it is not every national team player that starts their international career with a bang.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

1. Okoye and Sanusi can become key players for us. The important thing for them will be to show growth at their clubsides, which should happen if they can nail down starting shirts.

2. From what I saw, I think that Akpoguma will be a good addition for us. Against Tunisia, though, I would like to see him in his more natural position, but it was useful to see him at Right back.

3. I was also impressed with Samson Tijani. Even if it was just a cameo, there was enough there to see his potential. He's not quite ready for prime time, but if he continues to improve, he will be knocking on the door of our midfield very soon.

4. Finally, with regard to the much maligned Frank Onyeka, I would like to see him again against Tunisia and will not rush to judgement. I have liked his performances with his clubside and he has definitely deserved his call up. Folks need to remember that it is not every national team player that starts their international career with a bang.
Mystic,

On Ebuehi, I really was surprised. I did not expect him up and running soon after that long term injury. I actually share your perspective on both Onyeka and Tijani.Akpoguma is a good addition but his debut was nothing to write home about perhaps because of where he was played.

On goalkeeping, I wonder if Rohr shares a similar perspective as Berti Vogts who seemed fixated on tall goalkeepers. Sure height matters but agility is also critical. Our current keepers (Uzoho included) may well have the height but reaction to balls crossed into their area can be atrocious at times. We may well put it down to inexperience but that was something Vince was master of even without being tall. Last night, we saw our keeper make a mess of two crosses across his goal. One was a low cross in the opening half (he failed to attack it) and another was a high one in the second half (missed it and let it fly across his goal). Granted that he is still developing but this is something to be concerned about going forward.

Overall, I am not bothered by the result yesterday. In fact, I think the team did much better against Algeria than it had done at the AFCON and yesterday it was a makeshift midfield. I actually feel good about the team but it needs to produce the results in competitive games when the occasion calls for it.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Mystic,

On Ebuehi, I really was surprised. I did not expect him up and running soon after that long term injury. I actually share your perspective on both Onyeka and Tijani.Akpoguma is a good addition but his debut was nothing to write home about perhaps because of where he was played.

On goalkeeping, I wonder if Rohr shares a similar perspective as Berti Vogts who seemed fixated on tall goalkeepers. Sure height matters but agility is also critical. Our current keepers (Uzoho included) may well have the height but reaction to balls crossed into their area can be atrocious at times. We may well put it down to inexperience but that was something Vince was master of even without being tall. Last night, we saw our keeper make a mess of two crosses across his goal. One was a low cross in the opening half (he failed to attack it) and another was a high one in the second half (missed it and let it fly across his goal). Granted that he is still developing but this is something to be concerned about going forward.

Overall, I am not bothered by the result yesterday. In fact, I think the team did much better against Algeria than it had done at the AFCON and yesterday it was a makeshift midfield. I actually feel good about the team but it needs to produce the results in competitive games when the occasion calls for it.
EII,

1. I have seen a couple of Ebuehi's games this season and he's gradually coming back to his best so I was not surprised. Moreover he saw some action with Benfica's B team last term so he wasn't completely coming back from the cold.

2. I believe that Rohr has an affinity for tall goalkeepers, but I don't think that it's a case of height at all costs. After all, there are taller goalkeepers than Ikechukwu Ezenwa in the Nigerian league but Rohr has stuck with him, principally because of his bravery and great reflexes. Moreover, he chose to call up Matthew Yakubu over Sebastian Osigwe despite their height differential. So I think that it's a case of preferring tall goalkeepers but not necessarily being married to that preference.

3. Enyeama struggled with crosses early in his career. Perhaps you've forgotten that. But I remember he was so bad that some in these parts were calling him a vampire :rotf:

4. In any case I was satisfied with the performance of our young goalkeeper. However I do agree with an earlier point that you made that it's way too early to start anointing anyone. Let us just be happy that we finally have a cadre of emerging young goalkeepers that are capable of developing into legit internationals as that has been one of our biggest bugaboos.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Mystic,

EII,

1. I have seen a couple of Ebuehi's games this season and he's gradually coming back to his best so I was not surprised. Moreover he saw some action with Benfica's B team last term so he wasn't completely coming back from the cold.

2. I believe that Rohr has an affinity for tall goalkeepers, but I don't think that it's a case of height at all costs. After all, there are taller goalkeepers than Ikechukwu Ezenwa in the Nigerian league but Rohr has stuck with him, principally because of his bravery and great reflexes. Moreover, he chose to call up Matthew Yakubu over Sebastian Osigwe despite their height differential. So I think that it's a case of preferring tall goalkeepers but not necessarily being married to that preference.
Mystic,

Actually, I don't buy that point on Ezenwa or Yakubu. I will if I actually see Rohr use them as the No. !. In my view, Ezenwa is simply a token invitation to put off the criticism that he does not invite locally-based players and with Yakubu let us see if he ever uses him. I state this because despite Uzoho's miscues early, Rohr stuck with him and it didn't matter about Ezenwa's abilities. I will be stunned if Yakubu produces and Rohr sticks with him. I will buy your point asa that time. Not now. Not convinced by use of the tokenism
3. Enyeama struggled with crosses early in his career. Perhaps you've forgotten that. But I remember he was so bad that some in these parts were calling him a vampire :rotf:
I remember that. I am just pointing out what was evident yesterday. Lets just hope the kid comes good.
4. In any case I was satisfied with the performance of our young goalkeeper. However I do agree with an earlier point that you made that it's way too early to start anointing anyone. Let us just be happy that we finally have a cadre of emerging young goalkeepers that are capable of developing into legit internationals as that has been one of our biggest bugaboos.
In my view, the keeper did reasonably well yesterday and you can see his potential. Hopefully, he will continue to do well with the team. He is fortunate to have been invited to the team (in my view undeservedly over others) but he has the opportunity to take that opportunity and make good with it. From what I saw yesterday, he may well be on the way of doing so.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Enugu II wrote:

Uzoho is the number one. Okoye is a backup.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Uzoho is the number one. Okoye is a backup.
1. Akpeyi
2. Okoye
3. Uzoho ... if he establishes his pre-injury form then he will be no 2.

After the WC, then it's a battle between Okoye and Uzoho for the no. 1 spot.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

EII,

1. Ezenwa is not a token invite. I'm not sure why you believe that but I couldn't disagree more.

2. Not sure whether Yakubu will be used or not but no one held a gun to Rohr's head to invite him. Thus if he has been called up it's because the coach has seen something in him that he likes.

3. Okoye is not fortunate to be in the team. He was extensively scouted and Rohr did his homework before inviting him. Now I understand that the fact that he was invited based on his "potential" rather than "production" at a high level - which should be the norm - bothers some people. But I keep asking those people (and I asked you this question, as well, which you skirted) to please name the goalkeepers who were overlooked at the time in the process of fasttracking Okoye to the national team.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:EII,

1. Ezenwa is not a token invite. I'm not sure why you believe that but I couldn't disagree more.
I think he is. He isn't a top keeper in the league as demonstrated in his use by his club but keeps getting invited. I feel that there is no genuine effort to look to the local league and Ezenwa is being popped up to say " Well, here is someone from the local league."
2. Not sure whether Yakubu will be used or not but no one held a gun to Rohr's head to invite him. Thus if he has been called up it's because the coach has seen something in him that he likes.
LOL, Mystic, the reason he is invited should be clear. Of the keepers invited, who is the one playing regularly? You have the answer. Now, let us see if that one playing regularly will actually become Nigeria's #1. That will answer your question. I will not simply take every Rohr's decision and anoint them as unquestionable. I analyze them from my own lens to make sense of it. In my view, they are beginning to make sense and leading to the conclusions that I point to. Lt us see if that theory will be disproved down the road.
3. Okoye is not fortunate to be in the team. He was extensively scouted and Rohr did his homework before inviting him. Now I understand that the fact that he was invited based on his "potential" rather than "production" at a high level - which should be the norm - bothers some people. But I keep asking those people (and I asked you this question, as well, which you skirted) to please name the goalkeepers who were overlooked at the time in the process of fasttracking Okoye to the national team.
Okoye is fortunate to be in the team. In many cases, the NT is not used as a training ground. There were Nigerian goalies starting elsewhere that could have been invited. Instead, a guy was taken because of potential. LOL, if you ask me. You think Okoye is the only guy with potential? Let me point out, that if we had three different coaches they all could have found a GK playing who would have been called up rather than anointing someone as potential and then dedicating resources to make it happen. Those resources could have been dedicated to other options top make the same thing happen.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

EII,

On Ezenwa, I have a better understanding of your reasoning now; but I disagree that he isn't a top keeper in the league. The fact that he's hasn't always been the starter at his various clubsides doesn't dissuade me from my opinion because that tends to be the fate of most home based national team keepers.

Chigozie Agbim was the regular starter at Warri Wolves, but when he became a national team regular, he lost his position. Ditto for Emmanuel Daniel who was Enugu Rangers shinning star between the post prior to turning out for the Olympic team, whereupon he was rewarded for being the Dream Team starter by being consigned to the bench in the Coal city. Ezenwa's case has been no different as Nigerian league coaches appear to prefer to work with goalkeepers who are always available rather than having their plans disrupted by national team schedules.

Besides, when Ezenwa has played, he's mostly distinguished himself. He was outstanding at Katsina Utd two seasons ago. And after a rocky start with Heartland last season, he settled in and put in some top shelf displays.

In addition, my experience scouting the Nigerian league tells me that in some situations, the best players don't always play. As an example Sunday Mba's talent was wasting away with a vagabond career in the league until Stephen Keshi spotted his potential. Also there is the example of Chisom Egbuchulam who was Rangers best player in their league title winning season. But he was rotting in the reserves at the club until Imama took interest in him.

So while I understand the rational behind your conclusions, I would rather trust my eyes in terms of judging Ezenwa from watching him, versus what I have seen from other domestic league keepers that I have seen.

On Okoye, I must admit that I was surprised when he was originally called up to the team because I was expecting him to progress through the U23s before getting his opportunity. However, I also have some idea about the level of scouting that went into the decision. So while the reason for his invitation may not be clear to you, it is clear to the coaching staff and time will tell whether their judgment is correct. So far they have not been proven wrong.

Also, you keep talking about other goalkeepers who could have been invited, or whom the same resources dedicated to Okoye could have been used on, and I keep asking you to name them. There is no point going round and round. If you can't give concrete examples of who was overlooked then there's no point going on and on about this. To my knowledge, Okoye was identified in 2018 and it was in 2019 that we began to get serious with bringing him into the picture. If you can name a goalkeeper who was egregiously overlooked or who we would have been better off spending our resources on during that time period, be my guest.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:EII,

On Ezenwa, I have a better understanding of your reasoning now; but I disagree that he isn't a top keeper in the league. The fact that he's hasn't always been the starter at his various clubsides doesn't dissuade me from my opinion because that tends to be the fate of most home based national team keepers.

Chigozie Agbim was the regular starter at Warri Wolves, but when he became a national team regular, he lost his position. Ditto for Emmanuel Daniel who was Enugu Rangers shinning star between the post prior to turning out for the Olympic team, whereupon he was rewarded for being the Dream Team starter by being consigned to the bench in the Coal city. Ezenwa's case has been no different as Nigerian league coaches appear to prefer to work with goalkeepers who are always available rather than having their plans disrupted by national team schedules.

Besides, when Ezenwa has played, he's mostly distinguished himself. He was outstanding at Katsina Utd two seasons ago. And after a rocky start with Heartland last season, he settled in and put in some top shelf displays.

In addition, my experience scouting the Nigerian league tells me that in some situations, the best players don't always play. As an example Sunday Mba's talent was wasting away with a vagabond career in the league until Stephen Keshi spotted his potential. Also there is the example of Chisom Egbuchulam who was Rangers best player in their league title winning season. But he was rotting in the reserves at the club until Imama took interest in him.

So while I understand the rational behind your conclusions, I would rather trust my eyes in terms of judging Ezenwa from watching him, versus what I have seen from other domestic league keepers that I have seen.

On Okoye, I must admit that I was surprised when he was originally called up to the team because I was expecting him to progress through the U23s before getting his opportunity. However, I also have some idea about the level of scouting that went into the decision. So while the reason for his invitation may not be clear to you, it is clear to the coaching staff and time will tell whether their judgment is correct. So far they have not been proven wrong.

Also, you keep talking about other goalkeepers who could have been invited, or whom the same resources dedicated to Okoye could have been used on, and I keep asking you to name them. There is no point going round and round. If you can't give concrete examples of who was overlooked then there's no point going on and on about this. To my knowledge, Okoye was identified in 2018 and it was in 2019 that we began to get serious with bringing him into the picture. If you can name a goalkeeper who was egregiously overlooked or who we would have been better off spending our resources on during that time period, be my guest.
Mystic,

Name them? You asked that, if you recall, a few weeks ago. I promptly provided a list of top goalkeepers currently in the NPFL. That thread is still there. You can check it out.

I have not named a keeper playing outside Nigeria and I am sure you can also find Nigerians there. The question is why a semi-pro was selected for training whereas there are guys at the potential, perhaps with similar potential, available elsewhere and playing in higher competitions? That is the question. Moreover, has the national team become a place for guys deemed with "Potential"? If that is the case, you can find gazillion ( :rotf: ) of those in the NPFL as well.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Last night, we saw our keeper make a mess of two crosses across his goal. One was a low cross in the opening half (he failed to attack it) and another was a high one in the second half (missed it and let it fly across his goal). Granted that he is still developing but this is something to be concerned about going forward.
Prof, are you sure he missed that ball?
I've only seen it twice and from the same angle but I got the impression he palmed it across goal preventing it landing in a more dangerous area.
It didnt look like he was trying to ctch it or even punch it back out into play.
It happened so fast and maybe you have watched it again.

But I didn't get the impression he missed that ball.
Of course, I could be wrong.

I fully agree with your first example. He was indecisive but fortunately didn't pay the price.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote: Last night, we saw our keeper make a mess of two crosses across his goal. One was a low cross in the opening half (he failed to attack it) and another was a high one in the second half (missed it and let it fly across his goal). Granted that he is still developing but this is something to be concerned about going forward.
Prof, are you sure he missed that ball?
I've only seen it twice and from the same angle but I got the impression he palmed it across goal preventing it landing in a more dangerous area.
It didnt look like he was trying to ctch it or even punch it back out into play.
It happened so fast and maybe you have watched it again.

But I didn't get the impression he missed that ball.
Of course, I could be wrong.

I fully agree with your first example. He was indecisive but fortunately didn't pay the price.
He definitely saved that cross/chip.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Mystic,

Yes he does, and its not just in the goalkeeper department. Ive posted quotes from him in the past regarding this. check out my post here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=293949&p=5406074&hi ... r#p5406074
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16