Abandonment of Football by Fed Authorities in N. Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Abandonment of Football by Fed Authorities in N. Nigeria

Post by ANC »

:biggrin:

California is doing away with fossil-fuel vehicles.
China and India are making strong inroads, catching up with the West in Technology.
And Damunk and co are still talking soccer academies.

Pretty soon Trump's USA would seize to be conducive to us, Africans.
Any discussion that does not involve strong formal education structure, is a discussion not worthy of this forum.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

iworo wrote:
Bell wrote:By population and land area, the northern states of Nigeria are more than 50% of the country yet have historically contributed only a miniscule amount to Nigerian football and other sports. Nigerian sports authorities have come to accept the status quo as though that’s the way things are supposed to be.

Typically, Nigerians hate to invest in anything that doesn’t have immediate returns so knowing that investing in sports in the north might take decades to yield significant results, no administration has found it worth its while to invest in sports in that region.

Northern Nigeria is bigger than many African countries and would no doubt participate in sports if it were a separate nation. Does anyone think that a separate north cannot provide football players good enough to provide at least depth to the Super Eagles if not outright stars? Is it possible that this region could yield the long distance runners in track & field which the south lacks because southerners are naturally sprinters?

These questions cannot be answered unless the Nigerian sports authorities overcome their myopia and invest in northern sports. By ignoring such a big part of Nigeria, the country will continue to sub-optimize its sports performance.
Bell
My guy, there had never been a credible census in Nigeria. So, all that claim that Northern population is 50% of country nah story and myth. Apart from Kano, the north is sparsely populated. I’m tired of the North using population scheme to outsmart the rest of the country. I went to a Federal Government College high school; and I can authoritatively tell you that the so called quota system didn’t help the Northerners I schooled with. Each state should develop at their own pace. Federal government is not the answer to everything in my own opinion.

By the way, are you a Northerner? I’m just asking.....

I DID SAY THE NORTH WAS OVER 50%, BUT...

...that's not necessarily a statement on the accuracy of the census. However, these can be said of the north: it's a significant part of the country, and it's not pulling it's weight. Recognizing that the north has grounds to cover is not part of an ethnic agenda. It's just that if I was responsible for an operation and I found that a component is not doing well, I'll seek to correct it.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Oguleftie wrote:
Bell wrote:By population and land area, the northern states of Nigeria are more than 50% of the country yet have historically contributed only a miniscule amount to Nigerian football and other sports. Nigerian sports authorities have come to accept the status quo as though that’s the way things are supposed to be.

Typically, Nigerians hate to invest in anything that doesn’t have immediate returns so knowing that investing in sports in the north might take decades to yield significant results, no administration has found it worth its while to invest in sports in that region.

Northern Nigeria is bigger than many African countries and would no doubt participate in sports if it were a separate nation. Does anyone think that a separate north cannot provide football players good enough to provide at least depth to the Super Eagles if not outright stars? Is it possible that this region could yield the long distance runners in track & field which the south lacks because southerners are naturally sprinters?

These questions cannot be answered unless the Nigerian sports authorities overcome their myopia and invest in northern sports. By ignoring such a big part of Nigeria, the country will continue to sub-optimize its sports performance.
Bell
There has never been investment in sports in the south; none more than the north.
It just happened that the south folks liked doing sports.

IF THE GAP CAN BE EXPLAINED AS A GREATER LOVE OF SPORT BY ONE REGION...

...would it not make sense to try to generate similar love in the north? Is the whole of Nigeria not better off if the north were to begin to contribute its share to Nigerian sporting life?
Bell
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Bell wrote:IT COULD BE BOTH GOVT AND PRIVATE INTEREST

Generally, I favor private enterprise over govt but private people would not invest their money unless, and rightfully so, they see a way to make a profit, and make it quickly. Other than soccer, it's hard to draw a clear line between investment and profits.

Investment doesn't necessarily mean empty the banks. It could be as simple as selecting a number of high schools, declare them regional centers and provide the necessary facilities and resources. It could also mean convincing LG chairpersons to invest in parks to provide facilities for the youth and public. Schools could be encourage to embrace sports and competition between schools initiated. And where there are social barriers maybe a way around it could be found.

Samuel Ogbemudia was a visionary in Nigerian sports but most other officials are hardly so.
Bell
Making of Champions Limited is a non-soccer PRIVATE sports enterprise (coincidentally incorporated by a member or former member of this CE forum) that can serve as a model for similar (soccer and non-soccer) private ventures in the North.

In Nigeria, the greater the government is involved, the more civil servant-ish, inefficient, clannish and political any venture often tends to become.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Gotti wrote:
Bell wrote:IT COULD BE BOTH GOVT AND PRIVATE INTEREST

Generally, I favor private enterprise over govt but private people would not invest their money unless, and rightfully so, they see a way to make a profit, and make it quickly. Other than soccer, it's hard to draw a clear line between investment and profits.

Investment doesn't necessarily mean empty the banks. It could be as simple as selecting a number of high schools, declare them regional centers and provide the necessary facilities and resources. It could also mean convincing LG chairpersons to invest in parks to provide facilities for the youth and public. Schools could be encourage to embrace sports and competition between schools initiated. And where there are social barriers maybe a way around it could be found.

Samuel Ogbemudia was a visionary in Nigerian sports but most other officials are hardly so.
Bell
Making of Champions Limited is a non-soccer PRIVATE sports enterprise (coincidentally incorporated by a member or former member of this CE forum) that can serve as a model for similar (soccer and non-soccer) private ventures in the North.

In Nigeria, the greater the government is involved, the more civil servant-ish, inefficient, clannish and political any venture often tends to become.

BE IT BY GOVT INTERVENTION OR PRIVATE INVESTMENT (MY PREFERENCE)...

...my end goal is to exploit the latent talent that undoubtedly resides in the north in all sports, add it to what's already there from the south and take Nigeria one notch up.
Bell